General Discussion Triathlon Talk » For the coaches.... or people who have a coach... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-03-07 8:09 AM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Subject: For the coaches.... or people who have a coach...
I'm a coach... looking for a coach to coach me. I can't write my own training plans because I tend to write what I want to do. I also don't push myself as hard as someone else does. I also like learning how someone else does it.

Here's what I'm looking for:

* A coach who I can stay with for long term. I'm not just getting a coach for X race. I have found through my own coaching, that people get the most gains by staying with one coach. A long term relationship means that the coach really understands the athlete and how to train them.

* Someone who has been coaching for more than 2-3 years, USAT certified, keeps up with his/her education, and who has been in the sport for a decent amount of time. While I don't expect you to be fast, or anything like that, I do expect you to have some experience as a triathlete and a coach.

* This person will need to use Training Peaks to upload my training plan and to analyze data. He/she should also understand how to train someone through HR zones. I have done LT testing and know what mine are. At this point I don't need anyone who knows how to train with power, since I don't have a power meter.

* Someone who can explain the WHY behind what they are doing. While I won't question everything, if something isn't adding up to me to I'm going to ask why it is being done that way.

* Someone who can be flexible to letting me have a lot of input on my running. I have a high risk for injury and I have figured out what does and does not work for me running wise. I trusted a coach and his plan in the past, and ended up injured. If I see something that doesn't work for me with regards to running, then I'm going to give my input and changes will need to be made.

* Training plans will need to be loaded on time. I say this because I had a coach who loaded my plans late. There I would be on Monday, with no clue what my workout was for Monday. Not good.

* A monthly fee of $125-$150 a month for unlimited contact and training plan changes (which rarely happen with me). Yes, I know, I'm asking a lot here. But since I charge $125 a month, I know it can be done. On the upside, if things are going good, my plan is to stay with the coach for an extended amount of time, not just "one and done".

Now, you might thinking that I have a lot of requirements (which I do), and wondering what a coach can get out of this relationship...well... this person will get:

* A long term athlete.

* Someone who is consistent and who will upload workouts on a regular basis.

* The opportunity to coach someone who can place in their AG for sprints (maybe longer distances too?). (Some coaches care about this... some do not.)

* To coach someone who does everything from sprint to Ironman distance races. IMTX 2014 is a possibility, but not a definite at this point.

If you are a coach who might be interested in coaching me... or if you have a coach you can refer to me... feel free to contact me directly ([email protected]) or reply in this thread. Thanks!

2013-03-07 8:13 AM
in reply to: #4649833

User image

Subject: RE: For the coaches.... or people who have a coach...
Karen. -I was going to PM you so it didn't look like shilling, but what the heck. I've been using Shane McLeod here from BT since January. This is my second to round with a coach, and have to say so far I am very happy with both his training program as well as my progress. Don't know how many requirements he meets but it's worth contacting him
2013-03-07 8:25 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Just one comment.

I would pay more to get the best. You have a double advantage : to improve as an athlete but also to get some of their coaching experience.

2013-03-07 8:41 AM

User image

Alpharetta, GA

I'm not a fan of playing "musical coaches".    That said I've had a few.  The one I have now is one I plan to have for a long time.  One of the problems with my previous coaches is that they were spread too thin: full time job, single moms, work travel, and coaching on the side.  I'm pretty sure my other coaches didn't even look at my downloads.

I currently use Laura Sophiea.  She's awesome.  I know she looks at my downloads. (I didn't download one and she called the next day to say she was looking for it!)  She's a full time coach with no other job - other than her own training, family, etc.  I'm not saying she's not busy, she is, but regularly calls me (once a week) to see how it's going.

She also doesn't charge me extra for power training.

Her workouts are challenging but doable.

She's been in the sport for over 25 years, has done hundreds of races and has ~7 Ironman world championship titles.  But she can train any distance.  I'm only a sprinter this year and she's giving me the best workouts I've had for sprinting, ever (I've been in the sport 14 yrs.).

Here's her website: http://trimasterscoach.com/

Andi

2013-03-07 8:43 AM
in reply to: #4649859

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

I recommend Elizabeth Waterstraat.  She fits all of your criteria, as far as I know.  I make changes all the time and she never seems to mind, anyway.  She is very responsive to e-mail and I believe I can call her, although I don't usually call people so have only talked with her once.  LOTS of e-mails though.

http://multisportmastery.blogspot.com/

Her blog if you are interested in getting to know a little bit about her style:

http://elizabethfedofsky.blogspot.com/

Good luck!

2013-03-07 8:52 AM

User image

New user
Michigan
marcag - 2013-03-07 9:25 AM

but also to get some of their coaching experience.

If you framed this as continuing education (i.e. improving your skills), you could write it off as a miscellaneous business expense. (disclaimer I have nothing more than anecdotal evidence to back this up--do not take random tax advice from internet forums). 

2013-03-07 9:56 AM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
marcag - 2013-03-07 8:25 AM

Just one comment.

I would pay more to get the best. You have a double advantage : to improve as an athlete but also to get some of their coaching experience.

True, but I don't need "top of line" (USAT level III coach- coaching pro's, etc.) who is considered "the best". And I prove that you can get a good coach with education and experience, with unlimited contact who doesn't charge an arm and leg. I don't believe that I'm the only coach out there who offers great service at a good price. I know I'm not.

Unless the coach has something that really "wow's" me, my price point is going to stay where it is. Now, if they "wow" me, I might go up some.

2013-03-07 9:58 AM
in reply to: #4649916

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Trimi140 - 2013-03-07 8:52 AM

marcag - 2013-03-07 9:25 AM

but also to get some of their coaching experience.

If you framed this as continuing education (i.e. improving your skills), you could write it off as a miscellaneous business expense. (disclaimer I have nothing more than anecdotal evidence to back this up--do not take random tax advice from internet forums). 

I do write it off as professional development. When I say I get their coaching experience, I mean I just get to see how someone else does it. I don't expect for them to mentor me, or teach me everything they do or how they do it. I should qualify that. My statement made it sound like I expect for them to teach me. I do not. I have a mentor I pay for that service.

Edited by KSH 2013-03-07 10:00 AM
2013-03-07 10:00 AM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Thanks to everyone who posted recommendations! I really appreciate it! I'll be checking into all of them and coming up with a final list of who I want to interview.

Having had a couple of iffy coaches the last 3 years (one loaded plans late, the other completely forgot I was doing an Ironman and gave me my race plan 12 hours before the race), I'm going to be very discriminating this time around.

2013-03-07 12:48 PM
in reply to: #4650044

User image

Extreme Veteran
KSH - 2013-03-07 9:56 AM

Just one comment.

True, but I don't need "top of line" (USAT level III coach- coaching pro's, etc.) who is considered "the best". And I prove that you can get a good coach with education and experience, with unlimited contact who doesn't charge an arm and leg. I don't believe that I'm the only coach out there who offers great service at a good price. I know I'm not. Unless the coach has something that really "wow's" me, my price point is going to stay where it is. Now, if they "wow" me, I might go up some.

If your goal is to improve, not necessarily qualify for Kona then yes there are many good coaches out there.

But if you want to be the best you can be, then yes, you need the best coach.

On the learning from a coach, yes, you can learn a bit from a good coach and more from a great coach. If I wanted to be a great coach I would pay anything to work under Joel Filiol, for example.

But he is expensive, not because he gives more service than any other coach, but rather he has more experience. One must pay for experience.

2013-03-07 1:07 PM

User image

Regular
Gretna, Louisiana

So after I saw this thread I started thinking about getting a coach...then I realized how much it costs!

Man this is an expensive sport. 

2013-03-07 3:26 PM
in reply to: #4650478

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Splitz - 2013-03-07 2:07 PM

So after I saw this thread I started thinking about getting a coach...then I realized how much it costs!

A coach is expensive but there is likely very little else that will make improve as much for the same cost. It is probably much better bang for your buck than the fancy aero bike (but not as shiny).
2013-03-07 4:04 PM

User image

Master
Grand Prairie

Send you a PM rather than posting here.

But to me it seems that sometimes it comes down to personality. One person might like a coach, but this coach might not work for another person...

Or in other words a food coach for person A is not necessarily a good coach for person B.

2013-03-07 9:44 PM
in reply to: #4650435

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
marcag - 2013-03-07 12:48 PM

KSH - 2013-03-07 9:56 AM

Just one comment.

True, but I don't need "top of line" (USAT level III coach- coaching pro's, etc.) who is considered "the best". And I prove that you can get a good coach with education and experience, with unlimited contact who doesn't charge an arm and leg. I don't believe that I'm the only coach out there who offers great service at a good price. I know I'm not. Unless the coach has something that really "wow's" me, my price point is going to stay where it is. Now, if they "wow" me, I might go up some.

If your goal is to improve, not necessarily qualify for Kona then yes there are many good coaches out there.

But if you want to be the best you can be, then yes, you need the best coach.

On the learning from a coach, yes, you can learn a bit from a good coach and more from a great coach. If I wanted to be a great coach I would pay anything to work under Joel Filiol, for example.

But he is expensive, not because he gives more service than any other coach, but rather he has more experience. One must pay for experience.

Absolutely one must pay for experience.

While I'm a good athlete, I'm probably never going to be GREAT... aka: do a sub 12 hour Ironman... kind of thing. The reality is that running is my limiter, and the longer I run, the more pain I have from it (hips and knees these days). I'm getting slower. I can accept it. But I don't need someone to coach me to make me an elite level athlete... it's not in the cards for me.

Right now I'm in a mentorship a USAT level III coach with many years of experience. He gives me advice on how to coach my athletes, workouts, etc. So while I will learn from a coach who is coaching me, to some extent, I'm not expecting that to happen. Thus, I don't need someone with MANY years of experience. I'm paying my mentor for his experience.

2013-03-07 9:45 PM
in reply to: #4650770

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
wannabefaster - 2013-03-07 3:26 PM

Splitz - 2013-03-07 2:07 PM

A coach is expensive but there is likely very little else that will make improve as much for the same cost. It is probably much better bang for your buck than the fancy aero bike (but not as shiny).

Honestly, $100-$150 a month for a coach is inexpensive! Gosh, we have clubs in town that charge $300-$500 a month for coaching. AND that's LIMITED contact. Ha!

But a coach is worth the money, if it is a good match and the coach meets your expectations.

2013-03-08 1:36 AM

User image

Regular
Las Vegas, NV
I swear by my coach. http://www.coachcyndee.com/  Tell her Debbie sent you

Edited by GatorDeb 2013-03-08 1:37 AM

2013-03-08 7:58 AM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
All right, looked up all the coaches that were sent to me privately and on this thread...

I was rather shocked by some of the pricing, and that some coaches charged according to what distance someone is training for. If someone wants to be a long term client, how does one pick the pricing if they do races of all distances? Also saw some coaches have 4-8 levels of service. Each level of service offers a different level of contact, etc. Too many rules and regulations on the coaching relationship. Then I was shocked to see some coaches still email plans to their clients. I wonder how they view HR data if they are only using email and not Training Peaks, BT, etc. to view the data files. Hum.

Any other recommendations...????

2013-03-08 8:27 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
My coach is the bomb.

I have recommended him to several others, including people on BT and everyone has made great gains working with him. We all "dread" just a little bit working with him as well as his expectations are high and his training is pretty tough, which I see as a good thing.

He is pretty reasonable priced and offers one level of service (as far as I know). He has athletes and they have unlimited contact with him.

One thing I thought as I was reading your original post; you want someone who coaches just like you, to coach you. It might be advantageous to look at someone who coaches a little different in order to shake up your training and get you "outside the box." Otherwise, why hire a coach if they are essentially just coaching like you would? Just a thought.

A link to his website is in my sig line. PM me if you have questions.
2013-03-08 9:32 AM

User image

Veteran
Colorful Colorado
Al Lyman (http://pursuitathleticperformance.com/) -- he's fantastic, especially if running is your limiter.  Very very knowledgeable and responsive.
2013-03-08 9:33 AM
in reply to: #4651516

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
wannabefaster - 2013-03-08 8:27 AM

My coach is the bomb.

I have recommended him to several others, including people on BT and everyone has made great gains working with him. We all "dread" just a little bit working with him as well as his expectations are high and his training is pretty tough, which I see as a good thing.

He is pretty reasonable priced and offers one level of service (as far as I know). He has athletes and they have unlimited contact with him.

One thing I thought as I was reading your original post; you want someone who coaches just like you, to coach you. It might be advantageous to look at someone who coaches a little different in order to shake up your training and get you "outside the box." Otherwise, why hire a coach if they are essentially just coaching like you would? Just a thought.

A link to his website is in my sig line. PM me if you have questions.

When I get home, I'll check out the website. For some reason my company has blocked the link to their new website.

I want someone who provides the level of coaching service that I provide, at near or around the same price point.

If someone doesn't coach exactly like me, that's fine. But I need for him/her to be able to explain the why behind something if I ask.

The last coach I worked with, who didn't coach like me (and we had that discussion before we started working together), wasn't able to provide the WHY behind a 20-30% ramp up on my running, that wasn't even consistent. The run volume was all over the place week to week. I didn't see any build or recovery. When I asked why, he didn't have an answer. He gave me some fluffy response that didn't answer my question.

But yes, with regards to my running, I'm probably going to want a lot of input on that. After 8 years in the sport and having been injured from running NUMEROUS times, I know what does and doesn't work for my body. I tried to tell my last coach that, he didn't listen, I followed his plan and ended up injured. I then had to take over my run training and try to fix the damage he had done (with 3 months to go before IMTX last year).

I completely understand thought, that's there isn't just one way to coach people to be successful triathletes. I'm open to listen to other ways and to see how they work.

2013-03-08 1:52 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
I'm available...but that price point is not.

Still, if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Edited by AdventureBear 2013-03-08 1:52 PM

2013-03-08 3:11 PM
in reply to: #4651683

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
rockymtnhigh - 2013-03-08 9:32 AM

Al Lyman (http://pursuitathleticperformance.com/) -- he's fantastic, especially if running is your limiter.  Very very knowledgeable and responsive.

Looks great! Thanks!

2013-03-08 3:43 PM

User image

Regular
Las Vegas, NV
Mine is $125 online only, every Friday the complete next week is uploaded to TP.
2013-03-08 4:10 PM

User image

Alpharetta, GA

I just noticed the trainingpeaks.com requirement.  I used training peaks with a few other coaches...

My current (and long term) coach uses workoutlog.com.  I actually like it A LOT more.  And my guess is that it's probably less expensive! Just thought I'd throw that out there in case you've never seen it (I had never heard of it...)

Andi

2013-03-09 8:13 AM
in reply to: #4652535

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
GatorDeb - 2013-03-08 3:43 PM

Mine is $125 online only, every Friday the complete next week is uploaded to TP.

Ah... found it! Her website is a little hard to navigate to find information!

I'll check her out.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » For the coaches.... or people who have a coach... Rss Feed  

of 2