General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri the Parks Triathlon - John Tanner State Park Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Tri the Parks Triathlon - John Tanner State Park - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Carrollton, Georgia
United States
Blue Sky Sports
68F / 20C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 21m 46s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 8/30
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4:30, but did not eat, just had some coffee. Big diner left me full in the AM. Pre-paced the car, so left at 5:15. East setup and talked with a bunch of people.
Event warmup:

none...I think it was a mistake.
Swim
  • 12m 55s
  • 656 yards
  • 01m 58s / 100 yards
Comments:

ugh. I was hoping for about 2 minutes faster. I got off fine, but was not comfortable. I got too close to a guys feet. As he kicked hard, I turned to breath. Bad combination...I got completely swamped, breathed in water and goggles filled. I had to stop because I simply could not breath. I had negative thoughts the rest of the swim. I don't know why Tanner swim is a consistently bad for me.
What would you do differently?:

I need some OWS to get back in the flow. Such a eye opener when you move from the pool to OWS
Transition 1
  • 01m 6s
Comments:

looks like I smoked this one. I lost time on the swim, but got lots back on T-1. Second fastest in AG. I got back 30-45 seconds.
Bike
  • 39m 48s
  • 13.8 miles
  • 20.80 mile/hr
Comments:

I was off on the course. It seems like it changed or something. Any way, I felt good for most of the ride. Passed a ton of people. I was 4th fastest in my AG, so it is hard to say I did not do well.
What would you do differently?:

I need more saddle time. Rather surprised with the result given the lack of miles. Also, I need more intensity or intervals. if I am going to do short this year, I need more power. Felt a little sluggish on the hills.
Transition 2
  • 00m 59s
Comments:

4th fastest in AG...once again, T-2 is a strength. good jump off the bike with feet out of shoes. Lost time going to my rack spot. I got a little confused but nothing more than :05 seconds or so.
Run
  • 26m 56s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

i ran just ok. I do not have any "speed int he legs". I ran without any issues or thoughts of walking. However, I just could not crank up the pace.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

too much stress in the last six months and too little WO volume. Can't complain with the result. no complaints.

Last updated: 2013-01-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:55 | 656 yards | 01m 58s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/30
Overall: 0/
Performance: Bad
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:06
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:39:48 | 13.8 miles | 20.80 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:59
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:26:56 | 03.1 miles | 08m 41s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2013-04-27 5:36 PM

User image

Master
Atlanta, GA
Subject: Tri the Parks Triathlon - John Tanner State Park

2013-04-27 7:56 PM
in reply to: #4717387

User image

Extreme Veteran
Acworth, GA
Subject: RE: Tri the Parks Triathlon - John Tanner State Park

Bam and out of the gate for the tri season !   The Tanner swim drives me nuts, that's the only place where I stopped at the first bouy and almost threw in the towel, so crowded starting right then immediately left.  With it being the real first race of the season with all the fasties, too much energy at the get go.....   Solid all around performance today though, this is a good base to know where to focus over the next few weeks.  Short power intervals both on the bike and run sounds like your plan.

Good stuff !

2013-04-27 9:24 PM
in reply to: #4717387

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Subject: RE: Tri the Parks Triathlon - John Tanner State Park
Looks pretty solid all the way around but fast T's and bike means you're right in the mix...
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri the Parks Triathlon - John Tanner State Park Rss Feed