General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What is up with this in awe of distance thing Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2013-07-10 3:47 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: What is up with this in awe of distance thing
With about 10 weeks to go before I finally do an IM I am in awe of how dumb I am for wanting to do it in the first place.

Edited by Left Brain 2013-07-10 3:48 PM

2013-07-10 3:48 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
Originally posted by Left Brain

With about 10 weeks to go before I finally do an IM I am in awe of how dumb I am.

You're in the hardest part, the mind numbing monotony of your routine, just wait until taper and you have this extra free time and get all restless.
2013-07-10 3:51 PM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Veteran
the Sipp
As triathletes we should remind ourselves that you get what you put in. If you train long and hard for an IM race and it's your "A" race or life goal, then you should be proud of that; and vice versa...train hard and long for a sprint or intermediate race, you should be proud. As triathletes we should realize we get what we put in.
However, people that aren't triathletes usually just don't get that...they just see the 140.6 miles of an IM and their jaw drops or insert similar reaction, whatev. Point is, that's just how people generally react to the long distance. Also, from my humble understanding of triathlon history, it started as a long distance endurance race, so that's how people generally view the sport of triathlon; anything less than an IM isn't what they expect to see. It's a spectacle to them. We triathletes should know different, but remember there are a lot of new triathletes on here that don't quite get that yet either. Just be tolerant of that. To each his own. Do what makes you feel good!
2013-07-10 3:52 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by dmiller5
Originally posted by Left Brain With about 10 weeks to go before I finally do an IM I am in awe of how dumb I am.
You're in the hardest part, the mind numbing monotony of your routine, just wait until taper and you have this extra free time and get all restless.

Geez, I can't wait.  I can't really say I'll be glad when it's over because Tahoe is always a good time.....but I'm definately in the last few months of my IM career.

2013-07-10 3:55 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Kobenhavns Kommune

What does everyone seem to think that the longer the race is, the better it is.

Many reasons:

Whether you agree with the message you can't deny that Ironman(TM) has done a great job selling the Ironman, and in particular Ironman Hawaii, as the ultimate physical test, building a legend with the Ironwar and what have you. And, they've had years lead, triathlon debuted at the olympics in 2000.

It's only a sprint? Well, only, because you have to do less. You only have to swim 750m, not 3800m, etc. And we fall for it too, when people say I'm crazy, I have to assure them that it's only a sprint, as in I'm not /that/ crazy. And well, if you just left the couch, shorter distance races are stepping stones to longer distance races. You can complete these with less training and I see far more beginners in short distance races, so it's only natural to build the perception that shorter is easier.

All that said, if you're here to win, don't assume shorter distance to be easier. You should throw in as much time as you can in training, regardless of the distance, every extra minute you can train can give you the edge you need. Do Brownlee train harder than Crowie? Weird question, they train different. Do they train as much? Quite possibly in terms of hours.

If you podium in one distance, can you expect to podium in the double or half distance? No, you need to train different. Even if HIM and IM are both "long" distance races only one have been able to win both the same year. Macca won IM in 2010 and focused 2011 on qualifying for the olympics and failed.

Each distance is a different beast and if you're here to win, all are hard in their own way, and have their own merits.
2013-07-10 3:57 PM

User image

Originally posted by Left Brain With about 10 weeks to go before I finally do an IM I am in awe of how dumb I am for wanting to do it in the first place.

Word.  Maybe it's cuz I am five years older than last time I did this (memory fades...), I dunno.  This IM training is wearing down on me (7 weeks to go, so in the thick of it as well).  I may regret telling my wife I am not doing another, but it's certainly how I feel.

IMO HIM is the perfect distance for many reasons.

Edited by ChrisM 2013-07-10 3:58 PM

2013-07-10 3:59 PM
in reply to: noelle1230

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Originally posted by noelle1230

Originally posted by JohnnyKay
Originally posted by noelle1230 Personally my body feels a lot more abused when my sessions are routinely 2-3 plus hours at a moderate or even easy pace (and that was just for a HIM) than it does when routine sessions are under 2 hours, often just one hour with some of that being 100% all out effort speed work.
You're not doing something right, then.

You're going to tell me that a 5K at 100% effort is going to be tougher on a body than an IM at a moderate pace?  I'm not buying that.

I can run a mile so hard that I make myself puke.  That's still never going to compare to how I feel after running 26.  The best coach on the planet isn't going to change that.

You commented on training. Not racing. Many people (and this includes many IM triathletes) have no idea how to really train hard because they have never had the opportunity (or desire) to do so. The hardest I ever trained in my life was for races that routinely lasted no more than 5-7min.
2013-07-10 4:01 PM
in reply to: erik.norgaard

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Originally posted by erik.norgaard

And, they've had years lead, triathlon debuted at the olympics in 2000.

Triathlon debuted at the Olympics in 2000. However, the sport debuted well before IM.
2013-07-10 4:12 PM
in reply to: erik.norgaard

User image

Originally posted by erik.norgaard If you podium in one distance, can you expect to podium in the double or half distance? No, you need to train different. Even if HIM and IM are both "long" distance races only one have been able to win both the same year. Macca won IM in 2010 and focused 2011 on qualifying for the olympics and failed. Each distance is a different beast and if you're here to win, all are hard in their own way, and have their own merits.

Actually, if you are comparing fields of equal quality, you probably can expect to podium across many different distances.  The reason why someone can podium at a local sprint but not at a HIM or IM is because the fields are not as deep in small local races.  Sure, each race takes slightly different training approaches, but it's not some type of barrier that very good sprint athletes will have a hard time in long course.

The reason why Macca couldn't make the Olympics wasn't because he needed more Oly specific training...it's because he was too old, and there is more talent in ITU racing than there is in IM racing.  Given that, he still finished rather respectably in some of those races...it's not like he was finishing more than 5 minutes behind the winner.  Often times a 30th place finish is only 2 minutes back.  Pretty much where a 38 year old IM stud should finish.

I have made one podium at a local sprint, 3rd.  Haven't even come close in a HIM, but when I look back at the results and see which athletes did both the sprint and the HIM...the same two people beat me at the HIM, and all the other people I beat at the sprint I finished ahead of at the HIM.  The reason why I didn't make the podium at the HIM was because all these fast guys from other states and countries decided to show up.

2013-07-10 4:29 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Expert
San Luis Obispo, CA
Originally posted by Jason N

Originally posted by zed707
Originally posted by lisac957

Originally posted by dmiller5 What does everyone seem to think that the longer the race is, the better it is.

Where is "everyone" saying that?

You beat me to it-- I don't know where "everyone" came from. LOTS of love here on BT for the shorter courses. The recent poll was dominated by sprint distance events.

I totally get where you're coming from, but you can't deny that longer races get more coverage, more attention, and more praise than shorter ones.  The NYC marathon gets race coverage on national TV.  The Boston marathon winners get mentioned on Sportscenter.  Kona gets coverage on national TV as well.  When someone attempts to swim across a channel, or an ocean, or whatever...it gets attention.  When some guy jumps out of a hot air balloon from near the edges of space, it's on TV.

It's not to say that longer races or events actually are better, or that shorter races don't require as much training.  It's just human nature for people who don't truely understand the sport that longer or farther is more worthy of praise...or more impressive.

Usain Bolt disagrees with you.
2013-07-10 4:30 PM

User image

Pro
'cause as you get older, the speed goes away.  so, all you've got is endurance.

2013-07-10 4:33 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by erik.norgaard If you podium in one distance, can you expect to podium in the double or half distance? No, you need to train different. Even if HIM and IM are both "long" distance races only one have been able to win both the same year. Macca won IM in 2010 and focused 2011 on qualifying for the olympics and failed. Each distance is a different beast and if you're here to win, all are hard in their own way, and have their own merits.

Actually, if you are comparing fields of equal quality, you probably can expect to podium across many different distances.  The reason why someone can podium at a local sprint but not at a HIM or IM is because the fields are not as deep in small local races.  Sure, each race takes slightly different training approaches, but it's not some type of barrier that very good sprint athletes will have a hard time in long course.

The reason why Macca couldn't make the Olympics wasn't because he needed more Oly specific training...it's because he was too old, and there is more talent in ITU racing than there is in IM racing.  Given that, he still finished rather respectably in some of those races...it's not like he was finishing more than 5 minutes behind the winner.  Often times a 30th place finish is only 2 minutes back.  Pretty much where a 38 year old IM stud should finish.

I have made one podium at a local sprint, 3rd.  Haven't even come close in a HIM, but when I look back at the results and see which athletes did both the sprint and the HIM...the same two people beat me at the HIM, and all the other people I beat at the sprint I finished ahead of at the HIM.  The reason why I didn't make the podium at the HIM was because all these fast guys from other states and countries decided to show up.

Nice post Jason.....you nailed it.

2013-07-10 5:06 PM

User image

Veteran
Unless your avatar pic is from a sprint/oly... the juxtaposition of that image with your thread title is ironic.
2013-07-10 5:09 PM

User image

Expert
Vancouver (not Canada) Washington (not D.C.)
I don't want to rehash but if you are talking about awe both distance and time of a longer distance race are awe inspiring to many of us. For others the raw power and speed of very short races creates awe.

No big deal either way. I tend to be impressed by both.
2013-07-10 5:53 PM
in reply to: Frank in St. Louis

User image

Expert
Fernandina Beach, FL
Originally posted by Frank in St. Louis

Unless your avatar pic is from a sprint/oly... the juxtaposition of that image with your thread title is ironic.

Beat me to it

(Bazinga.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Bazinga.jpg (43KB - 11 downloads)
2013-07-10 6:06 PM

User image

Elite

On speaking to Macca about it he said he absolutely loved the experience training with the faster short distance athletes.  And I think he would have given his all had he been selected.

I saw him in Cairns four weeks ago - third with 60% kidney function.  I asked him the night before if he was gonna take it easy just ratify his Kona slot given his kidney condition.  His answer "hell no Jo, I'm gonna win!"

He's got Challenge Roth this weekend and has announced last week he's going back to Kona wants one more shot at the Big Dance.

He's smart, he knows what he's capable of, he wouldn't be going if he didn't think he could win.  And a more approachable guy in his field I've not met!

2013-07-10 6:11 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii

What does everyone seem to think that the longer the race is, the better it is. I've done them all, and I can honestly say that I generally enjoy my sprints and olympics much more than my halfs and my full. Now yes it was a great feeling of accomplishment to finish the full, but at the end of the day, I think I prefer the shorter races.

having this realization comes with doing all the distances. So you've decided on what you like best after tasting them all.

"everyone" has their own opinion on this, I don't think it's a general consensus on what race is the "better" one.

Edited by metafizx 2013-07-10 6:29 PM
2013-07-10 6:13 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii

I totally get where you're coming from, but you can't deny that longer races get more coverage, more attention, and more praise than shorter ones. 

don't forget the Olympics
2013-07-10 6:30 PM
in reply to: metafizx

User image

Wow, people have to be competitive even about being competitive?

How about just finding your happy place and working it.

2013-07-10 6:33 PM

User image

Master
Sunbury, Pennsylvania
Originally posted by metafizx

I totally get where you're coming from, but you can't deny that longer races get more coverage, more attention, and more praise than shorter ones. 

As long as triathlon,p and running continue to grow as participation-events, this common disrespect for shorter distances wi l be part of the common understanding. People don't know many olympic sports contenders, but there is someone they work with who just did their first half-marathon. It was a challenge just to finish that half marathon, and the difference between a 1:30 and a 2:30 is lost on most people. I'm a guy with those stupid number stickers n my car. They don't list my times. I'd be embarrassed if they did. But for those of. Us who do come to the endurance world looking for the personal challenge, regardless of speed, I hope we all gain an appreciation for the insane talent and work needed to do speed. A sub 16 minute 5k boggles my mind. It wouldn't have meant much to me a few years ago.

Once you've done any distance, the phrase "just a -------" shouldn't be in the vocabulary.

2013-07-10 6:36 PM

User image

Networks don't cover the Olympics because they think the distances of the events deserve more coverage.  They cover the Olympics because of the stage it's on.  If the races/events themselves was the true draw of the Olympics, then the World Championships of each event that is held every year would get similar coverage.

2013-07-10 6:41 PM
in reply to: TheClaaaw

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
Originally posted by TheClaaaw

As long as triathlon,p and running continue to grow as participation-events, this common disrespect for shorter distances wi l be part of the common understanding. People don't know many olympic sports contenders, but there is someone they work with who just did their first half-marathon. It was a challenge just to finish that half marathon, and the difference between a 1:30 and a 2:30 is lost on most people. I'm a guy with those stupid number stickers n my car. They don't list my times. I'd be embarrassed if they did. But for those of. Us who do come to the endurance world looking for the personal challenge, regardless of speed, I hope we all gain an appreciation for the insane talent and work needed to do speed. A sub 16 minute 5k boggles my mind. It wouldn't have meant much to me a few years ago.

Once you've done any distance, the phrase "just a -------" shouldn't be in the vocabulary.

Isn't the same for IM's too ? most people see the tortured faces of those "clawing" their way to the finish line, but not really aware of the time they did it in (not that there's anything wrong with that..)

I think we will always be stuck with our "own kind" for their more in depth understanding.
2013-07-10 7:11 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-07-10 7:13 PM
in reply to: DanielG

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-07-10 7:20 PM
in reply to: Fred D

Champion
marietta
Originally posted by Fred D

Originally posted by DanielGWow, people have to be competitive even about being competitive? How about just finding your happy place and working it.
. Yeah I agree. Many people are competitive about seeming to be non-competitive as well. Find your happy place (whatever that is) and forget the rest.

yep.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What is up with this in awe of distance thing Rss Feed  

of 4

RELATED POSTS

upping the distance.

Started by jennifer65
Views: 904 Posts: 5

2011-08-27 5:25 AM jennifer65

Am i doing the right thing?

Started by cj1212
Views: 937 Posts: 3

2009-07-26 9:00 PM breckview

I am a beginner and I am scared, but hopeful

Started by trisome
Views: 3081 Posts: 15

2013-08-07 7:47 AM Sidney Porter

Am I ready for Oly distance?

Started by jessicadawn
Views: 1314 Posts: 18

2007-07-03 4:34 PM jackjack

10k, 1/2 Marathon warm ups?

Started by autumn
Views: 1202 Posts: 4

2004-09-30 9:40 PM slow&steady
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 3, 2010
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 1
Stripped of its three-figure entry fees and five figure bikes, when the gun goes off it's still a bunch of crazies doing three sports for a thousand reasons.

date : July 14, 2009
author : scoobysdad
comments : 0
Excerpts from the full-length movie of three BT'ers following their dreams to Ironman. Meet BT'er tripletmom01
date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.

date : September 24, 2007
author : mrakes1
Discussions on salt tablets, AM workout nutrition, coffee, post workout nutrition, whey powder, recovery nutrition, losing weight, Recoverite usage, the necessity of sugars and snack ideas.
date : August 7, 2007
author : MegL
comments : 7
Do you see the bladder as half-full or half-empty? In this instance, it really doesn't matter how you look at it... you'd just better go.

date : March 5, 2006
author : TH3_FRB
The goal is to get stronger while your swim, bike and run training schedule is relatively light and you can afford to hit the weights hard a couple times each week.
date : September 11, 2004
author : econway
The goal of this section is to give others ideas on workouts for specific purposes.

date : September 10, 2004
author : Team BT
History of the triathlon and distances.