Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2013-07-29 10:40 AM
in reply to: BAMBAM66

User image

Veteran
Panama City, FL
Subject: RE: Widow sues USAT
I'm a trial lawyer here in FLA. There was recently a federal trial (within last 5 years) here where a young man had heart problems during either the IMFL swim or the Gulf Coast Tri (both races run on same course here in Panama City Beach). The plaintiff (family of deceased), alleged USAT/IM should have had more rescue equipment/people out in the water, including defibs. The jury apparently didn't believe the race/defendants did anything wrong and that the man accepted the risk. The wife and family lost the case. It was a very sad case.

2013-07-29 11:21 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
If this is true:
"The conditions that day included bright sun and 3- to 4-foot waves, " then they have a strong case. With 3 foot waves, why would they still do the swim?

No defib? Aren't paramedics required at USAT events? That would be standard issue for paramedics.

I'm not up for "pussifying America"...but at some point, the USAT official that you are forced to pay that is on-site of the event is going to have to take some responsibility for the decisions they make for the people who pay them.

Edited by lifejustice 2013-07-29 11:32 AM
2013-07-29 11:28 AM
in reply to: PsyTri

User image

Regular
Georgia
Originally posted by PsyTri

Originally posted by Skyhawk

Welcome to the "It must be someone else's fault" society of today. I have no first hand knowledge of the event or the conditions. I do know that having started this sport, at the tender age of 55, I talked to my wife and family about this very aspect. I made sure they knew that nothing in this world is totally safe. If I get pulled from the water or scraped up off the pavement, the decision to compete was mine. The article implies that this person drowned due to choppy water. It does not say whether he had severe cramps, cardiac issues or something else going on too. Being in "excellent" shape means nothing. Hindsight is 20/20, on race day, the participant chose to enter the water knowing the conditions, his abilities and the potential for risk. He acknowledged the risks when he signed the waiver. No one forced him to sign the waiver or start the race. One thing we can take away from this tragic incident is that we all work hard (or should) to perfect our swimming skills. How many work on drown proofing techniques? What will you do when a severe cramp or chest pains hit you suddenly? What will you do if you suck down a bunch of water, instead of air, just as someone swims over top of you. Now is the time to think about it AND practice for it. It is also the time to sit down with your family for a serious talk, if you haven't already, regardless of your age or ability.

Obviously tragic turn of events. Could have been one of us. Think how powerless, helpless, and despondent the spouse must be. Really awful.

That being said, I'd be curious for any references on "drown proofing techniques" for the different scenarios you laid out.

PsyTri,
I can't refer you to a google search or anything specific (haven't looked). My techniques came mostly from USN flight training water survival back in the 70's. The most important "technique" taught is to stay calm. I don't know if things have changed, since I went through in the dark ages, but in an emergency situation, we were taught to float FACE DOWN in a relaxed state, coming up for air as needed. It allows you to conserve energy and is better than fighting the water to stay afloat upright. Often you only need to raise your head at that point to breathe but you may need an easy breast type stroke to break the surface long enough for a breath. Once you have your breath, relax and go back into the "dead man's float" and allow your breath to slowly exhale. You should be able to float like that for a long period of time even in fresh water. For triathlon, you only need to buy enough time for help to arrive. Physical issues complicate things but this basic float gives you something to work from. IMHO the best thing you can do for drown proofing is thinking out, and practicing, what you would do in certain situations before it happens. Ever practiced massaging your legs (cramps) while staying afloat in the pool or lake just to see what was involved? Can you control the panic reflex if you take in water instead of air in the scrum? IMO, rolling to your back isn't always the best option. Spend some time doing the survival float the next time you are out on an OWS so you are familiar with it. Medical emergencies are a different critter but you can help yourself by staying calm and trying to buy time to the extent possible. I know, it's easier said than done, when it happens for real, but that's why practice, and thinking things through before hand, pays off. Will you survive every possible scenario? No. That's just the way it is. I do NOT profess to be a water safety expert. I'm certain others here are far more qualified to discuss this. I just find it interesting that whenever I ask someone if they have considered their actions should an emergency occur during an OWS, I often get a blank stare or a comment like "I'll just hang onto a support boat". My comments are in no way directed at you personally or to the specific situation in this thread. I do believe we can all help ourselves, and the current focus on OWS deaths, by thinking ahead. The main thing is (for rookie, veteran or pro): If you start to sense that things are not right, begin looking for a way out of the water immediately, before it becomes an emergency. That may mean not getting in the water to start with.
2013-07-29 11:35 AM
in reply to: lifejustice

User image

Pro

Originally posted by lifejustice If this is true: "The conditions that day included bright sun and 3- to 4-foot waves, " then they have a strong case. With 3 foot waves, why would they still do the swim? No defib? Aren't paramedics required at USAT events? That would be standard issue for paramedics. I'm not up for "pussifying America"...but at some point, the USAT official that you are forced to pay that is on-site of the event is going to have to take some responsibility for the decisions they make for the people who pay them.

Who were you (collective you) FORCED to pay?  You weren't forced to do anything.  That's just ridiculous.

2013-07-29 11:41 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by lifejustice If this is true: "The conditions that day included bright sun and 3- to 4-foot waves, " then they have a strong case. With 3 foot waves, why would they still do the swim? No defib? Aren't paramedics required at USAT events? That would be standard issue for paramedics. I'm not up for "pussifying America"...but at some point, the USAT official that you are forced to pay that is on-site of the event is going to have to take some responsibility for the decisions they make for the people who pay them.

Who were you (collective you) FORCED to pay?  You weren't forced to do anything.  That's just ridiculous.

Ridiculous? Hyperbole much? I'm assuming by your statement, you have NEVER paid the USAT fee for races?

If a governing agency interferes with something and says "We are going to take responsibility of this event." and f@*ks it up (ie. Having people swim in 3-4' waves)...AND THEN ASSUMES NO RESPONSIBILITY then I have no ability to agree with your lack of logic. They have not provided the product in which they required you to pay for. That responsibility is the entire reason they exist.

Edited by lifejustice 2013-07-29 11:45 AM
2013-07-29 11:44 AM

User image

Pro

Yeah, I pay it, voluntarily.  I also get in the water voluntarily. I also know what conditions would probably be a good idea for me to sit out.  I am responsible for myself....it's a simple formula.

And yeah, saying I'm forced to do anything by USAT is not only ridiculous, it's wildly ridiculous.

2013-07-29 11:46 AM

User image

Pro
Originally posted by lifejustice

Ridiculous? Hyperbole much? I'm assuming by your statement, you have NEVER paid the USAT fee for races? If a governing agency interferes with something and says "We are going to take responsibility of this event." and f@*ks it up (ie. Having people swim in 3-4' waves)...AND THEN ASSUMES NO RESPONSIBILITY then I have no ability to agree with your lack of logic. They have not provided the product in which they required you to pay for. What has USAT provided you?

They don't actually have to provide me ANYTHING.  You've read the "no refund" policy right? 

I am responsible for myself.

2013-07-29 11:49 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I am responsible for myself....it's a simple formula.

Cool story.

In other news, "Wildly ridiculous" is not an off-the hip emotional response.

Edited by lifejustice 2013-07-29 11:51 AM
2013-07-29 11:57 AM

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

Obviously speculation here but it would appear this guy may not have had life insurance on himself. Anyone who has a family and doesn't have a 7 figure bank account should have life insurance. If I die in a race my wife will be living the high life.

This guy made the decision to get in the water, he is responsible for the consequences. I have had two races with bad weather, the first was questionable and many dropped out, I decided to go for it and knew it was my problem if things went bad. The second race the swim was cancelled, the strong swimmers were peeved, I was relieved because I was planning on sitting out if they went ahead with it. I knew what my swim abilities were and I observed the water with my own eyes, then I made the decision that it wasn't a good idea for me, the RD also made the decision for me but I didn't need him/her to do that, I would have made the decision on my own. 

And yeah I find the line about additional pain and suffering due to slow notification time to be pretty laughable as well. Sounds like she was spared an hour or two of pain and suffering. 

2013-07-29 12:13 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Atlanta, Georgia
Just playing devil's advocate here...

You cannot hold up a waiver as immunity from liability if you don't meet your end of the bargain. For example, if you organize an event & do not take reasonable measures to protect the participants, you cannot hold up a signed document & say "Sorry, but I'm immune despite my own negligence." Your failure to meet a generally accepted & basic standard of safety, even for an event that has the inherent risk of death, basically renders any waivers as useless.

That being said, beyond the article which only tells the side of the deceased, I don't know the details of this race, if they had adequate staff, or if the call to swim in unsafe water was made poorly. I don't know the health of the deceased either. But assuming that the race was organized properly and the decisions to proceed were made with the best information available at the time, then that is where the waiver comes into play & the RD & USAT should be absolved of liability.

The problem is that in our sue-happy society, any trial lawyer can toss anything out as "They should have done more to cater to this one guy out of all 500 competitors." Even if it is as absurd as "Every volunteer must be a certified cardiothoracic surgeon." Even an absurd claim like that is enough to scare someone into a settlement.
2013-07-29 12:48 PM
in reply to: BAMBAM66

User image

Veteran
North Bay Area, CA
Unfortunately we live in such a sue happy society. The directors could do everything right and with the waivers they will still get sued when someone dies. Most of the time it's the "ambulance chasing" lawyers who catch up with these families and convince them to sue.

2013-07-29 12:58 PM
in reply to: gordongecko

User image

I don't see how anyone can comment on the merits of a particular case simply by reading a newspaper article.  Must be a bunch of legal genuises.   Either that, or someone is of the opinion that every case lacks merit.  Which is not true.

I've no idea whether there is a valid case or not.  Neither does anyone here. 

2013-07-29 1:02 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Pro
Originally posted by ChrisM

I don't see how anyone can comment on the merits of a particular case simply by reading a newspaper article.  Must be a bunch of legal genuises.   Either that, or someone is of the opinion that every case lacks merit.  Which is not true.

Sure you can.......since everybody but him is still around to talk about it.  That makes forming an opinion on how dangerous it was pretty easy, especially if you know someone who was in the same race. 

2013-07-29 1:21 PM

User image

Master
Livonia, MI

Sure you can.......since everybody but him is still around to talk about it.  That makes forming an opinion on how dangerous it was pretty easy, especially if you know someone who was in the same race. 

I don't have an opinion one way or another on this specific case but I have to disagree with that statement LB.  Just because 99 out of 100 people make it out of any given situation alive does not automatically qualify that situation as "safe".  What if a gunman opened fire on a crowd and only hit one person?  Does that mean that since 99 other people walked away unscathed that was a "safe" environment?  I don't buy that argument.

2013-07-29 1:32 PM

User image

Was this the man that died during the Olympic distance event at Age Group Nationals last year? I would be very surprised if they did not have enough lifeguards on hand and from the eyewitness account that I read they did administer CPR (as someone else mentioned I don't think a defib would have helped...?)

It is very sad but I don't see how USAT is responsible. Then again, I work for lawyers and I realize everything is contentious.

Patti

Edited by pugpenny 2013-07-29 1:39 PM
2013-07-29 1:35 PM
in reply to: noelle1230

User image

Pro
Originally posted by noelle1230

I don't have an opinion one way or another on this specific case but I have to disagree with that statement LB.  Just because 99 out of 100 people make it out of any given situation alive does not automatically qualify that situation as "safe".  What if a gunman opened fire on a crowd and only hit one person?  Does that mean that since 99 other people walked away unscathed that was a "safe" environment?  I don't buy that argument.

That's pretty far out there Noelle.  You can't really compare the two.  Here, if 1 home out of 100 gets burglarized does that make it an unsafe neighborhood?  No.  See my point?

The fact is.....in a situation like this drowning, a grown man made a decision to swim.  In your example nobopdy made a decision except the guy with the gun.

I can stand on the beach, look at the water, and decide if it is safe for me to swim based on my experience and training.........and so can everyone else.  If lawsuits like this are winnable.....you can kiss organized triathlon for AG'ers goodbye. I dont' want to see that.  This was not some small, local, understaffed race.  This was at the top end of the scale.

2013-07-29 1:39 PM

User image

It really does not take a whole lot of imagination to come up with scenarios that show the lack of logic there.  You're focusing on the swim going forward in the conditions.  Myopic

Assume there was no AED device around, which would be IMO negligent.  No one else had a heart attack.  This guy did.  Quick use of AED would have saved him.   

Assume that the RD did not hire enough lifeguards, and it took an extra 10 minutes to get to him.  No one else needed guards

etc.

No one here knows whether the case has merit.  If you say you do, it's just your own bias showing. 

2013-07-29 1:44 PM

User image

Pro

It really does not take a whole lot of imagination to come up with scenarios that show the lack of logic there.  You're focusing on the swim going forward in the conditions.  Myopic

Assume there was no AED device around, which would be IMO negligent.  No one else had a heart attack.  This guy did.  Quick use of AED would have saved him.   

Assume that the RD did not hire enough lifeguards, and it took an extra 10 minutes to get to him.  No one else needed guards

etc.

No one here knows whether the case has merit.  If you say you do, it's just your own bias showing. 

If I have a heart attack at the grocery store and there is no AED are they liable?  How about at a professional sporting event that I pay for....do they need to have an AED in case I keel over? 

Sure I have bias.....I have bias against liable suits that stem from voluntary participation.  HUGE BIAS.

As for your other comment.....uh.....show me where it says he had a heart attack.  He drowned.  If I drown, please don't use an AED on me......I'll have my wife sue you for negligence.

2013-07-29 1:45 PM

User image

I agree Chris...which is why I was curious as to what the other people in the race thought about the conditions and if the plaintiff was trying to embelish the actual conditions, or if they "possibly" had some grounds to sue on.  That alone doesn't make this lawsuit valid, but I was at least curious to know and I figured there may have been some other BTers at the race that may shed some light.

I generally agree that you shouldn't be able to sue for things like this, but there are instances where people show gross negligence.  Take the McDonald's coffee incident for example.  Upon first hearing the case, EVERYONE thought it was a stupid lawsuit.  And by LB's theory, nobody is FORCED to buy coffee from anyone.  But when someon gives you coffee hot enough to give you 3rd degree burns...then you uncover the fact that McDonalds purposely made their coffee too hot for initial consumption...then you get to see a whole new side of the story.

2013-07-29 1:47 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Originally posted by Jason N

I agree Chris...which is why I was curious as to what the other people in the race thought about the conditions and if the plaintiff was trying to embelish the actual conditions, or if they "possibly" had some grounds to sue on.  That alone doesn't make this lawsuit valid, but I was at least curious to know and I figured there may have been some other BTers at the race that may shed some light.

I generally agree that you shouldn't be able to sue for things like this, but there are instances where people show gross negligence.  Take the McDonald's coffee incident for example.  Upon first hearing the case, EVERYONE thought it was a stupid lawsuit.  And by LB's theory, nobody is FORCED to buy coffee from anyone.  But when someon gives you coffee hot enough to give you 3rd degree burns...then you uncover the fact that McDonalds purposely made their coffee too hot for initial consumption...then you get to see a whole new side of the story.

Yup, people crow about that case all the time, without ever actually researching what really happened.  Lots of legal experts on the internet.

2013-07-29 1:50 PM

User image

etc.

If I have a heart attack at the grocery store and there is no AED are they liable?  How about at a professional sporting event that I pay for....do they need to have an AED in case I keel over? 

Sure I have bias.....I have bias against liable suits that stem from voluntary participation.  HUGE BIAS.

As for your other comment.....uh.....show me where it says he had a heart attack.  He drowned.  If I drown, please don't use an AED on me......I'll have my wife sue you for negligence.

Well, it's hard to argue with stupid analogies, so I'll let you figure out why the supermarket one isn't even close.

As for cause of death, how do you know he didn't drown as the result of a heart attack?  Oh yeah, sorry, you're an internet doctor AND lawyer.  Impressive. 

I know you won't be reasonable about it, it's not your way as you are very opinionated.  That's cool.   Doesn't mean you are right, nor am I right.  Again, no one, not even BT legal experts, knows if the case has merit

2013-07-29 1:54 PM

User image

Master
Livonia, MI
Originally posted by noelle1230

That's pretty far out there Noelle.  You can't really compare the two.  Here, if 1 home out of 100 gets burglarized does that make it an unsafe neighborhood?  No.  See my point?

The fact is.....in a situation like this drowning, a grown man made a decision to swim.  In your example nobopdy made a decision except the guy with the gun.

I can stand on the beach, look at the water, and decide if it is safe for me to swim based on my experience and training.........and so can everyone else.  If lawsuits like this are winnable.....you can kiss organized triathlon for AG'ers goodbye. I dont' want to see that.  This was not some small, local, understaffed race.  This was at the top end of the scale.

The point is that just because a certain number of people survive a situation or even if those people feel it was safe does not automatically mean the situation was safe, nor does it mean a court of law will deem it safe.

2013-07-29 1:57 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
It will be interesting to see how this pans out.  There is NO standard across races for safety measures.  Yes he signed a waiver and got in the water but all they have to do is say "he didn't understand" and BAM its thrown out.  I am not sure a defibrillator would have done anything to help this case if 1-he was donw 2- they see him the 3-takes 7(?) minutes to get to him...then tow him ashore and then use the defibrilator?  It probably would have done nothing.  I would really like to see a standard across races for safety measures. 
2013-07-29 1:59 PM

User image

Pro

etc.

Well, it's hard to argue with stupid analogies, so I'll let you figure out why the supermarket one isn't even close.

As for cause of death, how do you know he didn't drown as the result of a heart attack?  Oh yeah, sorry, you're an internet doctor AND lawyer.  Impressive. 

I know you won't be reasonable about it, it's not your way as you are very opinionated.  That's cool.   Doesn't mean you are right, nor am I right.  Again, no one, not even BT legal experts, knows if the case has merit

Chris.....the cause of death is drowning.  Read the article.  Oh....maybe every kayak or surfboard on the course should have an AED huh?  There is no evidence that he had a heart attack.....evidence is pretty crucial in a lawsuit. Laughing

Do you want me to tell you why your analogy of the McDonald's case is stupid or should I let you figure that one out on your own?

If you don't want to swim, then don't.  If you decide to swim the only person liable if you drown is you.  You knew damn well when you went in the water that you could.  I am responsible for my own actions and activities.  So are you.

2013-07-29 2:00 PM
in reply to: Socks

User image

Originally posted by Socks It will be interesting to see how this pans out.  There is NO standard across races for safety measures.  Yes he signed a waiver and got in the water but all they have to do is say "he didn't understand" and BAM its thrown out.  I am not sure a defibrillator would have done anything to help this case if 1-he was donw 2- they see him the 3-takes 7(?) minutes to get to him...then tow him ashore and then use the defibrilator?  It probably would have done nothing.  I would really like to see a standard across races for safety measures. 

Just a point of order, wrong about the waiver.  Well written waivers stand up in court all the time, can't simply say you did not understand something that you signed. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Widow sues USAT Rss Feed  

of 4

RELATED POSTS

Partially blind triathlete sues over requirement he wear blackout glasses Pages: 1 2

Started by BrianRunsPhilly
Views: 3280 Posts: 36

2012-04-27 2:03 PM bel83

IM NA is being sued for death at IMFL Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9

Started by Fred D
Views: 11723 Posts: 221

2009-07-11 3:26 PM dexter

Triathlon-widows replacing Golf-widows in our PTA

Started by guncollector
Views: 1004 Posts: 6

2006-10-03 7:23 AM velocomp

Another triathlete dies...but his widow wins.

Started by Cmikul
Views: 815 Posts: 2

2005-08-19 3:55 PM the bear

The real Sue Crystal River Story...

Started by G8RSAX
Views: 651 Posts: 7

2004-09-21 8:07 PM sue7013
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 15, 2012
author : USATriathlon
comments : 1
This USAT Rules Clinic will help you avoid penalties. Topics discussed will be rules of the transition area, drafting penalties, the drafting zone, challenging penalties and more.

date : March 29, 2011
author : USATriathlon
Robert Vigorito, the Mid-Atlantic Council Chair, discusses USAT and some of it's initiatives in 2011
date : June 27, 2007
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
After starting the season with only the goals of raising money for cancer research, Stacey finds herself with the opportunity to go to the Long Course Championships in France.

date : March 5, 2006
author : Ontherun
Most triathlons in America are held under USA Triathlon sanctioning. Last year I finally got a national ranking. Here are a few reasons to join.
date : June 14, 2005
author : Team BT
USA Triathlon has announced that it will no longer sanction events owned by the World Triathlon Corporation (WTC) or Ironman North America (IMNA).

date : May 16, 2005
author : infosteward
"After accepting the job, I asked Bill to put on my desk the entire major concerns that needed to be addressed immediately upon my arrival. I wanted the toughest challenges he could give me."
date : May 3, 2005
author : infosteward
Can the USAT serve its 50,000+ members largely made up of weekend warriors in search of age-group hardware, while catering to the small percent of elite or pro athletes?

date : September 1, 2004
author : AskMrsBT
USAT and membership and racing.