Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Anyone else looking forward to college football? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 7

2013-08-19 8:43 AM
in reply to: DanielG

User image

Subject: RE: Anyone else looking forward to college football?
Originally posted by DanielG

Originally posted by austhokie

As much as I would love a VT hokie win over Alabama, i'm being realistic and hoping that it won't be a shut-out

I'm thinking y'all get a touchdown at some point. Maybe two but depends on how well the AL defense has come together and whether the DUI guy messes up the chemistry.

true - I mean this is the first year since 1998 the Hokies aren't in the pre-season Top 25, but last season was a mess...so fingers crossed...the last time they played (2009) it was 34-24 Alabama, also in the opening game

2013-08-19 8:50 AM
in reply to: austhokie

User image

As much as I would love a VT hokie win over Alabama, i'm being realistic and hoping that it won't be a shut-out

I'm thinking y'all get a touchdown at some point. Maybe two but depends on how well the AL defense has come together and whether the DUI guy messes up the chemistry.

true - I mean this is the first year since 1998 the Hokies aren't in the pre-season Top 25, but last season was a mess...so fingers crossed...the last time they played (2009) it was 34-24 Alabama, also in the opening game

I just watched that game. Getting in the mood for the GA dome

2013-08-19 8:58 AM
in reply to: DanielG

User image

I just watched that game. Getting in the mood for the GA dome

going to live vicariously through you...just so you know...this is probably going to be the first season in a while I don't make it down for a game
2013-08-22 2:17 PM

User image

Oh boy, college football.  The time of year all my friends who haven't ever set foot in a classroom on the LSU campus vocally declare their allegiance to LSU through every medium available to them and become disturbingly obnoxious for the next 12 weeks.

Only LSU fans would be calling for the coach to be fired after losing a BCS title game.  Or winning one for that matter.

It's like they don't remember the Curly Hallman/Mike Archer era of 5-6 win seasons and if they were lucky, trip to Shreveport to play in the Poulan Chainsaw Bowl.

It would be nice to be a fan and alumnus of the only school to win their bowl game in the state 3 years running though.   GEAUX CAJUNS!!

Disclaimer:  I'd be an LSU fan if it weren't for LSU fans.  I enjoy seeing them do well and hope to see them win their division this year.  They'll go as far as Mettenberger can carry them.  But they're not on the same level as Bama, not after losing all that talent on defense. 

2013-08-22 7:23 PM
in reply to: RussTKD

User image

Originally posted by RussTKD

Oh boy, college football.  The time of year all my friends who haven't ever set foot in a classroom on the LSU campus vocally declare their allegiance to LSU through every medium available to them and become disturbingly obnoxious for the next 12 weeks.

Only LSU fans would be calling for the coach to be fired after losing a BCS title game.  Or winning one for that matter.

It's like they don't remember the Curly Hallman/Mike Archer era of 5-6 win seasons and if they were lucky, trip to Shreveport to play in the Poulan Chainsaw Bowl.

It would be nice to be a fan and alumnus of the only school to win their bowl game in the state 3 years running though.   GEAUX CAJUNS!!

Disclaimer:  I'd be an LSU fan if it weren't for LSU fans.  I enjoy seeing them do well and hope to see them win their division this year.  They'll go as far as Mettenberger can carry them.  But they're not on the same level as Bama, not after losing all that talent on defense. 

I remember when LSU wasn't the powerhouse that it was - we (virginia tech) played LSU in 2001 - and Tech won the game (26-8) - I have never seen so much non maroon/orange at a game...it was like purple/gold had taken over...we nearly started a riot downtown when the LSU fans were out, by playing the fight song in front of all their RV's...(of corse, I had nothing to do with that... )
2013-08-23 2:01 PM

User image

Champion
Chicago

2013-08-23 2:38 PM

User image

Originally posted by austhokie I remember when LSU wasn't the powerhouse that it was - we (virginia tech) played LSU in 2001 - and Tech won the game (26-8) - I have never seen so much non maroon/orange at a game...it was like purple/gold had taken over...we nearly started a riot downtown when the LSU fans were out, by playing the fight song in front of all their RV's...(of corse, I had nothing to do with that... )

I was on the sidelines at the Sugar Bowl about 6 feet away from ACC apologist Kirk Herbstreit and overheard him say "Auburn's defense won't be able to stop VaTech at all tonight" to the guy with him. 

We know how that game turned out.

2013-08-28 8:20 PM
in reply to: #4829558

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
I'm excited now that Manziel's punishment has been finalized.
Looking forward to the 'bama game.
2013-08-29 6:36 AM
in reply to: uclamatt2007

Regular
Saint Petersburg, FL
OOoooh how I love college football. Admittedly, MY BELOVED HOKIES, are not Alabama, UF, LSU or TEXAS ..... but I do love them. Both my parents went there, my grandfather taught agriculture there ... my sister, my wife and I all went there and if the sun shines just right one of my three daughters will go there and with fair winds all three may go. I hate it when the lose and they do so with disappointing regularity but I love them. Tough opening game against Bama (who I also root for when not playing my Hokies). To be honest I can't think of a team in the ACC or SEC I don't like .... well that's not true ... I don't like Duke and it pains me that they are even mentioned in this post. But I love the Heels, Clemson, Wolfpack, UF, Razorbacks, LSU, Bama .... I know, how can I love all those teams .... I don't know that I love all those teams as much as I love to watch them play. Now my lowly Hokies are my favorite by far but I'll gladly watch the rest and enjoy their successes.

Let's GOOOOO HOKIES!
2013-08-29 6:55 AM

Regular
Saint Petersburg, FL
I was at that Game. I had season tickets in the South End Zone for about 10 years but gave them up when I moved from NC to FL. Too far to go and I was giving my 4 seats away almost every game. I still have hope .... even against BAMA.

I remember when LSU wasn't the powerhouse that it was - we (virginia tech) played LSU in 2001 - and Tech won the game (26-8) - I have never seen so much non maroon/orange at a game...it was like purple/gold had taken over...we nearly started a riot downtown when the LSU fans were out, by playing the fight song in front of all their RV's...(of corse, I had nothing to do with that... )
2013-08-29 7:02 AM
in reply to: SWFLFATGUY

User image

Originally posted by SWFLFATGUY

OOoooh how I love college football. Admittedly, MY BELOVED HOKIES, are not Alabama, UF, LSU or TEXAS ..... but I do love them. Both my parents went there, my grandfather taught agriculture there ... my sister, my wife and I all went there and if the sun shines just right one of my three daughters will go there and with fair winds all three may go. I hate it when the lose and they do so with disappointing regularity but I love them. Tough opening game against Bama (who I also root for when not playing my Hokies). To be honest I can't think of a team in the ACC or SEC I don't like .... well that's not true ... I don't like Duke and it pains me that they are even mentioned in this post. But I love the Heels, Clemson, Wolfpack, UF, Razorbacks, LSU, Bama .... I know, how can I love all those teams .... I don't know that I love all those teams as much as I love to watch them play. Now my lowly Hokies are my favorite by far but I'll gladly watch the rest and enjoy their successes.

Let's GOOOOO HOKIES!

Its time to start rocking Enter the Sandman and start jumping!!

2013-08-29 7:03 AM

User image

I was at that Game. I had season tickets in the South End Zone for about 10 years but gave them up when I moved from NC to FL. Too far to go and I was giving my 4 seats away almost every game. I still have hope .... even against BAMA.

I was in the South End Zone as well - was totally one of the band geeks for the Highty-Tighties
2013-08-29 7:09 AM

Regular
Saint Petersburg, FL
And we love you for it. My grandfather taught AG there for like 25 years. I started going to VPI games with my dad and grandad before I could walk. I was born a Hokie.

I was in the South End Zone as well - was totally one of the band geeks for the Highty-Tighties
2013-08-29 7:11 AM

Regular
Saint Petersburg, FL
It's my ring tone. My roomate from college lives in Sarasota and we went the bowl game last year. There were actually a lot of Hokie fans there.

2013-08-29 7:52 AM

User image

New user
Winchester, VA
While it's not "big time" football we have our first home game this Saturday for the college team in the town were I grew up (parents went and dad worked there). Regardless of the school there is a special feeling on game day. Tailgating, hearing the band, the roar of the crowd, etc. Did I say tailgating? Go DUUUUKES!
2013-08-29 8:07 AM
in reply to: CWAY

Regular
Saint Petersburg, FL
CWAY: I have bunch of folks from Stephens City, right in your backyard. My grandparents and Dad are buried in the cemetary in Stephens City. Great area with lots of memories. My family's homeplace is just outside Stephens City along 81. An old two story white farmhouse with stonewall frontage. I spent a lot of time running around that farm.

Originally posted by CWAY

While it's not "big time" football we have our first home game this Saturday for the college team in the town were I grew up (parents went and dad worked there). Regardless of the school there is a special feeling on game day. Tailgating, hearing the band, the roar of the crowd, etc. Did I say tailgating? Go DUUUUKES!

2013-08-29 1:36 PM

User image

New user
Winchester, VA
Sweet! I lived in Stephens City (well, real close by anyway) for about a year. Now, we live a couple blocks from the old town mall in W-chester. Love biking in Frederick Co. Also love Blacksburg (went to Radford) and Tampa/St. Pete. And I'm sure I've seen the farmhouse many times, but I just can't picture it in my mind because there are a lot that fit that description. I'll keep a lookout.
Since we are talking about football though, I really do like the Hokies. However, I certainly enjoyed the last time they played JMU.
2013-08-29 2:39 PM

User image

Regular
Here's to hoping my Zips win more than one game and end their road losing streak.
2013-08-29 2:42 PM
in reply to: CWAY

Regular
Saint Petersburg, FL
The old family place is just south on 81. I'll shoot you a picture as I know what you mean there are a bunch of places that fit that description. My great uncle owned and developed the farm that is now Wakeland Manor. They sold out a few years back but when I was young and it was still a working cattle farm I used to ride motorcycles out there to check the feeders. did a bunch of rabbit and deer hunting out that way with my grandfather before it got devloped. My Dad is buried in the cemetary right in the middle of down town Stephens City. I have a bunch of good memories from up that way but havne't been back in a while. Good luck to JMU this year. I had a friend that swam for their team and always had fun visiting.

Bruce

Sweet! I lived in Stephens City (well, real close by anyway) for about a year. Now, we live a couple blocks from the old town mall in W-chester. Love biking in Frederick Co. Also love Blacksburg (went to Radford) and Tampa/St. Pete. And I'm sure I've seen the farmhouse many times, but I just can't picture it in my mind because there are a lot that fit that description. I'll keep a lookout.
Since we are talking about football though, I really do like the Hokies. However, I certainly enjoyed the last time they played JMU.
2013-08-29 2:48 PM

User image

Master
Folsom (Sacramento), CA
Everything finally kicks off tonight. UNC/SC and Fresno St/Rutgers seem to be the best options tonight.

I have to say, the fact that the AAC ( the conference formally known as the Big Least) has an automatic BCS bid is a joke. While Louisville appears to be legit, I would say that the Mountain West is more deserving on the whole. Tonight is the #3 AAC team vs the #2 MWC and the MWC is favored by 10. At least this is the last year of BCS torture.
2013-08-29 3:00 PM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC
got my ticket to Clemson/UGA for this weekend, should be awesome! although the thought of selling it to pay for a HIM next year has been tempting...

2013-08-29 3:25 PM

User image

I never did understand BCS...it was too annoying/fustrating...

I'm personally in favor of getting rid of all conferances - throwing all the teams in a hat and drawing match-up's that way...I think it would be an interesting experiment; give non-powerhouse teams more chances to play powerhouses etc
2013-08-29 4:02 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by austhokie I never did understand BCS...it was too annoying/fustrating... I'm personally in favor of getting rid of all conferances - throwing all the teams in a hat and drawing match-up's that way...I think it would be an interesting experiment; give non-powerhouse teams more chances to play powerhouses etc

One thing for certain; no matter what they do people will not be happy.  

I like the idea of the playoff system, but there will still be teams that get slighted.

2013-08-29 6:22 PM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Originally posted by tuwood

Originally posted by austhokie I never did understand BCS...it was too annoying/fustrating... I'm personally in favor of getting rid of all conferances - throwing all the teams in a hat and drawing match-up's that way...I think it would be an interesting experiment; give non-powerhouse teams more chances to play powerhouses etc

One thing for certain; no matter what they do people will not be happy.  

I like the idea of the playoff system, but there will still be teams that get slighted.

yep - its going to suck either way...i mean, do a ranking system and you might have it dominated by powerhouse teams and little to no represenation from smaller ones; or do a variable, and then ppl grumble because it was unfair how they did it
2013-09-01 12:53 AM

User image

Master
Folsom (Sacramento), CA
This new targeting rule is ridiculous. I have yet to hear anybody give a clear explanation of what will get you kicked out of a game. I just watched a Cal lineman hit the quarterback in the chest with his face mask and get tossed for targeting. It was a clean tackle.

I understand the need to protect players but this is a bad rule that will be inconsistently enforced and affects the integrity of the sport.
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Anyone else looking forward to college football? Rss Feed  

of 7

RELATED POSTS

Thoughts on College Football, 2005 Pages: 1 2

Started by El Oso
Views: 3144 Posts: 49

2005-12-08 9:34 AM the bear

College Football for Dummies Pages: 1 2

Started by Jiggies
Views: 2266 Posts: 29

2005-11-20 10:48 AM tyrant

COLLEGE FOOTBALL!!

Started by Comet
Views: 1324 Posts: 18

2005-09-06 1:05 PM Brett

College football drawing near...It's over clowns Pages: 1 2

Started by Det
Views: 3196 Posts: 38

2005-08-03 9:21 AM jwbrandon

Who will win: UF vs FSU College Football Pages: 1 2

Started by DJP1812
Views: 2319 Posts: 30

2004-11-23 12:30 PM G8RLA94
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 22, 2011
author : writingrunner
comments : 1
Where to find the time WITHOUT getting up early

date : August 7, 2009
author : FitWerx
Would it be a simple and advisable to swap back and forth between the road seat post with no aero bars and the tri seat post with aero bars?
date : February 17, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 13
I have pedals with the cage and when I ride 2+ hours my legs feel much more tired then if I took out my husband's bike with clipless pedals. Do clipless pedals truly make the difference?

date : August 5, 2008
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
I have a Specialized Allez Elite road bike with aero bars. It has the stock seatpost. I am interested in changing the seat post to one that is more forward. What would I look for?
date : July 30, 2006
author : AMSSM
I started riding this spring with the Carnac shoes on Look pedals (with plenty of float). About five minutes into a ride I get sharp pain on the outer edge of my feet, just behind the pedal.

date : July 3, 2006
author : ChiRunning
Discussion on many aspects of ChiRunning such as falling forward, posture, hamstring tightness, stride length, leaning, stretching
date : June 5, 2006
author : AMSSM
How can gluteus medius weakness/problems be involved in iliotibial band syndrome? What specific exercises should be used in building gluteus medius strength in post-ITB syndrome treatment?

date : November 14, 2004
author : Andrea
I'm on the other side of the college-student desk. I'm the one with the red pen in my hand. Those of us with schedules that change from day to day actually have an advantage, I think.