Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Anyone else looking forward to college football? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 7

2013-09-15 2:37 PM
in reply to: SevenZulu

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal
Subject: RE: Anyone else looking forward to college football?
I watched the youtube snippet of the end of the game a few more times.  It looks like he did get a knee down as he bumped into his blocker there.  Still, I have to say that keeping the ball inbounds with no timeouts and very limited time remaining is a big gamble.  They should have just taken the FG attempt from where they were at :18.  The other thing the QB could have done was take the knee and hand the ball to the ref.  Still, no guarantee they'd have had time to get another play off.

2013-09-15 4:34 PM
in reply to: uclamatt2007

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by uclamatt2007 Interesting day of football so far. Nebraska gave UCLA a scare before utterly collapsing. I do have to say there is no coach who is more fun to watch have a melt down than Pelini. I swear I saw a vein just about burst of his forehead today. Michigan has to move down in the rankings with that showing today. The Johnny man love that is going on right now is just ridiculous. Throwing up a prayer after evading a rush and having you receiver make a great play on a ball that is almost always a bad decision is not a Heisman moment. He looks good today but take it down about 10 notches.

Yeah, the Husker/UCLA game was quite interesting.  It's like the Huskers were all confident and just doing whatever they wanted en route to a blowout win.  Then they started coasting into half time with a strong lead, but UCLA apparently didn't get the memo about letting us coast into halftime.  lol
It appears the Huskers made no adjustments at halftime and just kept coasting.  Don't get me wrong, UCLA earned it, but half of Nebraska is trying to figure out what the heck Pelini and crew were trying to do.

Congrats to the Bruins though.  Was good to see them get a win for Pasquale.

2013-09-15 7:44 PM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Master
Folsom (Sacramento), CA
Here is what annoys me:

How is Michigan ranked ahead of UCLA in the coaches poll after the showings the two teams had last week?

Early season rankings are ridiculous and impact late season rankings as well.
2013-09-15 10:13 PM

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal

Originally posted by uclamatt2007 Here is what annoys me: How is Michigan ranked ahead of UCLA in the coaches poll after the showings the two teams had last week? Early season rankings are ridiculous and impact late season rankings as well.

Win and the polls will take care of themselves.  There is lots of football to be played between now and the late season.  I think the Bruins can take Stanford on the road this season.  At Oregon, that will be a tall order.

2013-09-16 7:33 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
Originally posted by SevenZulu

Originally posted by uclamatt2007 Here is what annoys me: How is Michigan ranked ahead of UCLA in the coaches poll after the showings the two teams had last week? Early season rankings are ridiculous and impact late season rankings as well.

Win and the polls will take care of themselves.  There is lots of football to be played between now and the late season.  I think the Bruins can take Stanford on the road this season.  At Oregon, that will be a tall order.

I agree.  If you're 1 or 2 losses, then yes the early season polls can make a difference, but if you beat Oregon and Stanford and end the season undefeated the polls will take care of themselves.  Obviously there can be bad luck where there are 3 or 4 undefeated teams, but you'll still be ranked a top 5 team and the playoff system next year should take care of the multi-undefeated team issue.

2013-09-16 9:20 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas
Originally posted by tuwood

Originally posted by bradleyd3 I was....until Texas gave up 550 yards of rushing to a sub-par BYU team. If Mack doesn't beat OU and win conference, he'll "retire" at the end of the year.

For some reason, it doesn't bother me that much to see Texas struggle.   ;-)

Me either. Gig'em!

2013-09-20 8:41 PM
in reply to: aggiegrad96

User image

Master
Folsom (Sacramento), CA
JoshR,
You watching tonight? Looks like 2 evenly matched teams.

I didn't like that replay overturn on the 69 yard Fresno touchdown pass. When there isn't a true goal line camera, it should have to be definitive to overturn. That wasn't to me. Whether it was ruled a touchdown or down at the 1/2 yard line, the call should have stood.
2013-09-21 7:22 AM

User image

Elite
Boise
Originally posted by uclamatt2007

JoshR,

I didn't like that replay overturn on the 69 yard Fresno touchdown pass. When there isn't a true goal line camera, it should have to be definitive to overturn. That wasn't to me. Whether it was ruled a touchdown or down at the 1/2 yard line, the call should have stood.

Unfortunately I didn't get to watch it. I don't have cable so I usually go to someone's house and watch it but tonight I had to take care of the little one. It looks like it was a good game. Congrats.
2013-09-21 11:51 AM

User image

Veteran
Austin
Not in Austin me and my daughter are not going to the UT game today. We could get tickets for $45.00. I may just go to Lubbuck or College Station.
Rumors in Austin on the next coach are Saban, the UCLA coach, ND State coach, Northwestern coach. I putting money on Jim Mora Jr.

Frustrated in Austin.
2013-09-21 12:42 PM
in reply to: TXwildcat

User image

Master
Folsom (Sacramento), CA
Originally posted by TXwildcat

Not in Austin me and my daughter are not going to the UT game today. We could get tickets for $45.00. I may just go to Lubbuck or College Station.
Rumors in Austin on the next coach are Saban, the UCLA coach, ND State coach, Northwestern coach. I putting money on Jim Mora Jr.

Frustrated in Austin.

While I don't doubt Texas will be able to throw more money at Mora than we can, I would still be suprised if he leaves. He just signed a contract extension that I am sure came with a pay raise, but we shall see.

If the Penn St coach doesn't head for the NFL, Al Golden would be a possibility.
2013-09-21 12:50 PM
in reply to: JoshR

User image

Master
Folsom (Sacramento), CA
Originally posted by JoshR

JoshR,

Unfortunately I didn't get to watch it. I don't have cable so I usually go to someone's house and watch it but tonight I had to take care of the little one. It looks like it was a good game. Congrats.

It was a good game. I swear the Petersen has 9 lives. Every time Fresno had Boise on the ropes, something would break Boise's way. Assuming that Boise gets by Utah St, the MWC Chamionship game should be a good one. I

2013-09-21 2:02 PM

User image

Champion
Checkin' out the podium girls
WTH is up with tOSU? 76-0 in the third quarter? Wow!
2013-09-21 3:39 PM
in reply to: pitt83

User image

Master
Folsom (Sacramento), CA
Originally posted by pitt83

Games like these make me change my stance about paying college athletes. This isn't football, this is Florida A&M whoring out their players for profit.
2013-09-21 3:43 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Games like these make me change my stance about paying college athletes. This isn't football, this is Florida A&M whoring out their players for profit.

For quite a few schools that means they can upgrade their training facilities, pay for another student's scholarship, add some team other than the football team to start playing.

They also get a feel for what it's like to compete on that upper level so maybe they can next year.

Lots of reasons that's a good thing to the sacrificial lamb teams.

Edited by DanielG 2013-09-21 3:46 PM
2013-09-21 4:28 PM

User image

Master
Folsom (Sacramento), CA
Originally posted by DanielG

For quite a few schools that means they can upgrade their training facilities, pay for another student's scholarship, add some team other than the football team to start playing.

They also get a feel for what it's like to compete on that upper level so maybe they can next year.

76-0 isn't competing. That is taking a beating. If players are going to subjected to a risk of injury against physically superior programs, perhaps compensation is in order.

Perhaps the biggest joke is that a win against an FCS school counts towards a teams record and bowl eligibility. Perhaps they will can start counting wins in their spring game towards that total. Then again, my opinion is in the minority considering only 3 teams have never played an FCS school. Bonus points if anyone can name them without the aid of Google.

Edited by uclamatt2007 2013-09-21 4:30 PM
2013-09-21 11:00 PM

User image

Elite
Boise

76-0 isn't competing. That is taking a beating. If players are going to subjected to a risk of injury against physically superior programs, perhaps compensation is in order.

Perhaps the biggest joke is that a win against an FCS school counts towards a teams record and bowl eligibility. Perhaps they will can start counting wins in their spring game towards that total. Then again, my opinion is in the minority considering only 3 teams have never played an FCS school. Bonus points if anyone can name them without the aid of Google.

Used to be a few more than 3 and most of them were Pac 10 schools. I know UW dropped from the ranks a few years ago when they went and played EWU. I believe UCLA and USC are remaining members.

2013-09-21 11:30 PM

User image

Master
Folsom (Sacramento), CA
Originally posted by JoshR

Used to be a few more than 3 and most of them were Pac 10 schools. I know UW dropped from the ranks a few years ago when they went and played EWU. I believe UCLA and USC are remaining members.

Yeah, you have two of them there. 1 more left.
2013-09-22 9:32 AM

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal
I was sorry to see my Huskies drop from the ranks of those that had not played a lower tier team.  I agree that the games should not count towards bowl eligibility.  Without the aid of google, I'm going to guess that Notre Dame is the third team on that list.
2013-09-22 4:56 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by SevenZulu I was sorry to see my Huskies drop from the ranks of those that had not played a lower tier team.  I agree that the games should not count towards bowl eligibility.  Without the aid of google, I'm going to guess that Notre Dame is the third team on that list.

Notre Dame is my guess as well. 

2013-09-23 1:42 AM

User image

Master
Folsom (Sacramento), CA
Yep, Notre Dame
2013-09-28 5:26 PM

User image

Master
Folsom (Sacramento), CA
Biggest thing that I learned today during the LSU/Georgia game:

Sucker punching a guy at a bar is fine as long as you are the most talented running back on your team.

2013-09-28 5:47 PM

User image

Champion
What has happened to Purdue? Northern Illinois? And their overall?

Drew Breese dislikes this.
2013-09-29 9:09 AM
in reply to: pitt83

User image

Elite
Boise
Well nice knowing you Lane. I don't think very many people expected that to work out. It'll be interesting to see who they try and hire.
2013-10-13 4:51 PM

User image

Master
Folsom (Sacramento), CA
Ok, I officially give up on the AP Poll.

After watching Texas A&M defense squeaking out a win against Ole Miss, how do they jump over Louisville this week? They don't even look like a top 10 team right now.

What a joke.
2013-10-25 8:35 PM

User image

Champion
Could someone PLEASE get Lou Holtz a drool cup to contain the massive amount of spit he generates while pontificating?

Edited by pitt83 2013-10-25 8:35 PM
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Anyone else looking forward to college football? Rss Feed  

of 7

RELATED POSTS

Thoughts on College Football, 2005 Pages: 1 2

Started by El Oso
Views: 3146 Posts: 49

2005-12-08 9:34 AM the bear

College Football for Dummies Pages: 1 2

Started by Jiggies
Views: 2272 Posts: 29

2005-11-20 10:48 AM tyrant

COLLEGE FOOTBALL!!

Started by Comet
Views: 1329 Posts: 18

2005-09-06 1:05 PM Brett

College football drawing near...It's over clowns Pages: 1 2

Started by Det
Views: 3200 Posts: 38

2005-08-03 9:21 AM jwbrandon

Who will win: UF vs FSU College Football Pages: 1 2

Started by DJP1812
Views: 2321 Posts: 30

2004-11-23 12:30 PM G8RLA94
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 22, 2011
author : writingrunner
comments : 1
Where to find the time WITHOUT getting up early

date : August 7, 2009
author : FitWerx
Would it be a simple and advisable to swap back and forth between the road seat post with no aero bars and the tri seat post with aero bars?
date : February 17, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 13
I have pedals with the cage and when I ride 2+ hours my legs feel much more tired then if I took out my husband's bike with clipless pedals. Do clipless pedals truly make the difference?

date : August 5, 2008
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
I have a Specialized Allez Elite road bike with aero bars. It has the stock seatpost. I am interested in changing the seat post to one that is more forward. What would I look for?
date : July 30, 2006
author : AMSSM
I started riding this spring with the Carnac shoes on Look pedals (with plenty of float). About five minutes into a ride I get sharp pain on the outer edge of my feet, just behind the pedal.

date : July 3, 2006
author : ChiRunning
Discussion on many aspects of ChiRunning such as falling forward, posture, hamstring tightness, stride length, leaning, stretching
date : June 5, 2006
author : AMSSM
How can gluteus medius weakness/problems be involved in iliotibial band syndrome? What specific exercises should be used in building gluteus medius strength in post-ITB syndrome treatment?

date : November 14, 2004
author : Andrea
I'm on the other side of the college-student desk. I'm the one with the red pen in my hand. Those of us with schedules that change from day to day actually have an advantage, I think.