2013-08-19 10:12 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Subject: RE: Cheaters at local race
Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by Chillin
Originally posted by lisac957

I don't understand when I run past other racers who are having a conversation. Aren't we racing here?  

Ban talking during races.

Laughing

No way, the people that aren't taking it seriously help everyone else get better overall times. So I encourage talking.

I know some people who talk during a race who would destroy you...... just saying.  Laughing  

lol no doubt Most of them would. But it still makes my overall time just a tiny bit better in comparison.

2013-08-19 10:16 PM
in reply to: rjrankin83

User image

Originally posted by rjrankin83

Originally posted by gsmacleod
Originally posted by Chillin Well if you are in a race... you Are racing. BOOM. Has nothing to do with going for a podium, just about doing your best. Not challenging what you are saying I just don't understand it. Isn't that what training runs are for? Why are you in the race if not to do your best?
There are many different reasons that people participate in sport and while competition is certainly a driving factor for many, there are others who still enjoy sport but don't really care that much for the competitive side of things. Regardless of those who would tell them otherwise. Shane
Sport absolutely yes. Paying for a race and choosing to not do your best when you could just run the same course for free while not racing seems strange to me.

This may be shocking, but not everyone has the same goals and aspirations. 

Different strokes. No one is right or wrong. 

In my case I've been doing this for 8 or 9 years (?) and in October will be running a marathon for charity. I'm putting in the training, traveling many states away, paid the registration fee and am committed to raising a ton of money for a great organization ------- and yet I have no plans to stress my body any more than I need to in order to finish with a smile on my face. It will not be a PR. I will thoroughly enjoy it and feel good about my efforts. I don't think that's "strange."

"This may be shocking, but not everyone has the same goals and aspirations." lol no really? Why the sarcasm? "in October will be running a marathon for charity. I'm putting in the training, traveling many states away, paid the registration fee and am committed to raising a ton of money for a great organization ------- and yet I have no plans to stress my body any more than I need to in order to finish with a smile on my face. It will not be a PR. I will thoroughly enjoy it and feel good about my efforts." If the only reason you are doing it is for charity then that makes sense... Sort of. You still didn't mention why you would choose not to do your best, that is the part I don't understand. "I don't think that's "strange." " No of course not, but you have to see how many people would see it as such. EDIT : you edited your post to include that you will not be doing your best so you can support your friends and family (presumably to do their best? Or just to finish their first). That makes sense but I'd wager that most people that don't push themselves to do thier best aren't doing it to support others. But if that's the reason it is of course a good one.

Can I ask why it matters to you why others race? Or at least, matters enough for you to go back and forth questioning my reasons and others?

Save yourself the time and slam your head against a wall now to save yourself the headache you're walking in to.

That said, I'm signed up for a marathon for a GREAT cause in Feb I'll be doing for the 3rd year in a row and it's JUST FOR FUN! 100% proceeds go straight to breast cancer research and I could have just donated the money but why not run. I'm taking the run easy in hopes to PR my HIM time in March.

I agree with the consensus. I see a lot of talking and "group" running, in HM and Mary's esp, and while it's not for me I totally understand why people do it. I race my races but also take the time to high five friends and family racing also.

Thanks for sharing your answer to my question: Doing it for charity and to spare your body for an upcoming races are both great reasons and make perfect sense.
2013-08-19 10:17 PM
in reply to: Chillin

User image

Pro

I don't understand when I run past other racers who are having a conversation. Aren't we racing here?  

Laughing

No way, the people that aren't taking it seriously help everyone else get better overall times. So I encourage talking.

I know some people who talk during a race who would destroy you...... just saying.  Laughing  

lol no doubt Most of them would. But it still makes my overall time just a tiny bit better in comparison.

But getting back to your point....are you still saying they're not racing?  I know some folks who talk to other racers to see if they are suffering....then again, you actually have to be IN the race for that to matter.  Laughing

2013-08-19 10:20 PM

User image

Elite

Laughing

But getting back to your point....are you still saying they're not racing?  I know some folks who talk to other racers to see if they are suffering....then again, you actually have to be IN the race for that to matter.  Laughing

Even the pros talk - psyching the other guy out saying they're feeling fresh or that the other guy looks in a bad way.  if talking was banned in my races well I'd be DQ'd every time.

2013-08-19 10:20 PM

User image

Laughing

No I said the exact opposite of that. Someone said to me that they weren't racing when they were talking and I said that they Were racing.

2013-08-19 10:21 PM
in reply to: jobaxas

User image

Pro
No Jo....if you're having a conversation you're not racing.  Laughing

2013-08-19 10:25 PM

User image

Pro

Laughing

No I said the exact opposite of that. Someone said to me that they weren't racing when they were talking and I said that they Were racing.

LOL..... go back to the very center of this quote. 

No matter brother..... have fun with it.  It's triathlon, not life. 

2013-08-19 10:28 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Laughing

Haha that was obviously a rhetorical question said for effect. I never actually said they weren't racing like you said I did. Obviously we are racing. I never actually asked anyone that.

Edited by Chillin 2013-08-19 10:29 PM
2013-08-19 10:29 PM

User image

Elite

Originally posted by Left Brain No Jo....if you're having a conversation you're not racing.  Laughing

Dammit I'm never gonna win nuthin with this motor mouth of mine.

2013-08-19 10:30 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Originally posted by Jason N

Wait what...wasn't this thread about cheating?

The recent conversation seems a bit strange.

Yes agreed, I didn't think my one comment would completely derail this thread, so to help it get back on track: I have never personally seen someone intentionally cheating (unintentionally yes) but it would bother me on a very superficial level. I wouldn't bother to report them, honestly I would feel more bad for them than mad at them.
2013-08-19 10:30 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

Laughing

Haha that was obviously a rhetorical question said for effect. Obviously we are racing. I never actually asked anyone that.

Got it.  Cool  LMAO

Edited by Left Brain 2013-08-19 10:31 PM

2013-08-19 10:38 PM

User image

NC

I didn't think my one comment would completely derail this thread . . . .

Live and learn man.

2013-08-20 8:15 AM
in reply to: happyscientist

User image

Master
Rural Ontario
Originally posted by happyscientistI did a small triathlon this weekend (62 entrants) and was bothered that time penalties weren't being handed out for blatant rule violations.

Don't just vent on a forum. Let the race director know how what you saw, how you feel about it and that you won't be racing there again. Either he'll change and start enforcing rules or his race will end up being a 9 man race involving outboard motors and Kawasaki bikes.
2013-08-20 8:34 AM
in reply to: mgalanter

User image

Originally posted by mgalanter

Originally posted by happyscientistI did a small triathlon this weekend (62 entrants) and was bothered that time penalties weren't being handed out for blatant rule violations.

Don't just vent on a forum. Let the race director know how what you saw, how you feel about it and that you won't be racing there again. Either he'll change and start enforcing rules or his race will end up being a 9 man race involving outboard motors and Kawasaki bikes.

They said they were be emailing a survey, so I am going to put that on there. I couldn't believe people were getting away with riding their bikes in transition.
2013-08-20 9:55 AM

User image

Youngsville
Just to clarify. The guys cheating would have beat me, in the race if the cheated or not. Not on the bike leg but overall yes. My point for more for my buddy who finished 4th to two of the cheaters. Like I said I checked some of their previous races that had more race officials and shockingly their bike/leg times were much slower. I have also talked to a few other people that said that some of the same guys were drafting off of their wheel. I know none of this will change the world, but we train for a reason. Most BOP racers even covet every place they can move up overall and in single disciplines.
2013-08-20 10:32 AM
in reply to: Brungart

New user
If you are really looking for improved times its you against the course. What place you finish depends ON WHO SHOWS UP. I just recently did my best race at a course I've done 5x before and finished 4th. I did great the other 3 did better. I don't race to get on the podium, just to do the best I can do. I have won races I did lousy in, I wasn't really happy about it. Everyone races for different reasons, some to win some to just finish and if someone cheats to win or to just finish there only fooling themselves.I can't see getting all PO'd about it. This is supposed to be fun RIGHT!!

2013-08-20 10:53 AM
in reply to: Brungart

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Brungart Just to clarify. The guys cheating would have beat me, in the race if the cheated or not. Not on the bike leg but overall yes. My point for more for my buddy who finished 4th to two of the cheaters. Like I said I checked some of their previous races that had more race officials and shockingly their bike/leg times were much slower. I have also talked to a few other people that said that some of the same guys were drafting off of their wheel. I know none of this will change the world, but we train for a reason. Most BOP racers even covet every place they can move up overall and in single disciplines.

Is that really true?  I'm steadily moving backwards as I get older....I'm just happy to be out there enjoying it.  I hope one day I'm 80 and dead last...... that would be a big win.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cheaters at local race Rss Feed  

of 4

RELATED POSTS

Funny Race Report, even made the local paper.

Started by Focker
Views: 1912 Posts: 10

2011-01-28 1:57 PM tri808

Local Bike Shops at Race Expos..

Started by tri_sport19
Views: 1226 Posts: 13

2009-09-08 3:19 PM 40isnotold

Wetsuit stolen at local race

Started by runnerx
Views: 1318 Posts: 12

2007-07-10 12:02 PM stupidnickname

DC Locals - Local triathlete to be profiled on NBC4 tonight

Started by BodyCheck
Views: 1257 Posts: 5

2006-05-30 10:44 PM BodyCheck

Ever see a cheater? (venting)

Started by ride_like_u_stole_it
Views: 1159 Posts: 11

2004-11-08 1:31 PM Rowdy
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 28, 2012
author : EnduRight
comments : 0
Iron distance racing depends on the three pillars of pacing, nutrition and mental outlook. Training these three areas can significantly improve your race.

date : May 17, 2010
author : mjfewell
comments : 3
In November of 2000, I noticed that I was losing the feeling in my toes. The sensation traveled up my body and within a week, I was nearly 80% paralyzed.
date : March 5, 2006
author : BobbyMcgee
When we get ready to train or race, we have a pretty fixed set of thoughts. We are unaware of how they affect our racing.

date : June 14, 2005
author : tomp
comments : 1
Tips on swimming, biking and running to race-day lessons from this beginners first five months of training.
date : April 24, 2005
author : mikericci
If you feel your base work is adequate, then here are five areas I would recommend you can work on before your first race.

date : September 4, 2004
author : Daniel Clout
My expectations for the quality of this years’ Triathlon world championship were fulfilled. This was because of the superb location that is like no other along with having the top triathletes present.
date : September 4, 2004
author : Daniel Clout
There is a marvelous destiny out there waiting for you too, but only if you are willing to take chances and put yourself on the line.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
comments : 1
Are you only focusing on racing and training this season?  Volunteeri to help at a triathlon!