Other Resources Challenge Me! » Nov 15-Dec 15 "Swim Speed Secrets" Book Club Rss Feed  
Moderators: the bear, kaqphin, tinkerbeth, D001, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 12

2013-11-15 10:39 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Subject: RE: Nov 15-Dec 15 "Swim Speed Secrets" Book Club

Originally posted by jmhpsu93

First thought, from the intro:

"Let’s look at his times: In February 1924, Weissmuller swam a 57.4 in the 100-m freestyle (long course meters). Sure, the world record now is 46.91, set by Cesar Cielo of Brazil (2009 World Championships), and the women’s world record is 52.07 (Britta Steffen, Germany, 2009 World Championships), but how many of you who are reading this book would think you were the cat’s meow for going a time like Weissmuller’s? And it wasn’t just the short races in which Weissmuller set world records. He also owned the 400-m and 800-m freestyle records: 4: 57.0 in the 400, set in 1923, and 10: 22.2 in the 800..."

Um, DAH-UMN.  Those times are unbelievable.  I mean, his head was above the water and his legs were pointed at maybe 30-45 degrees downward.  I'm thinking maybe I should try his technique, since he's so much faster than me.

Also, these only-slightly-subtle digs:

"First, I wanted to write a book for triathletes more than any other group. I feel that this group has latched on to one swim-technique theory for too long." (Chapter 1)

"A weekend swimming clinic is coming to town. It is marketed as holding the key to unleashing your swimming potential. At the clinic, swimmers are told that taking fewer strokes is better. The focus is entirely on reducing the number of strokes to get across the pool. From our equation, we know this is a good thing. However, at this clinic, the swimmers are not told about the other half of the equation. All weekend, the participants are in the water— reaching, extending, and gliding out front. They look beautiful and smooth. The athletes get excited about having reduced their number of strokes from 10 down to 8. They probably raised their hands to tell the coach the good news, and the coach probably high-fived them."  (Chapter 2)

Hmmmm...a shot across the bow at TI?

HAHAHA!  i thought the same thing when reading about the tarzan technique.  Like, how in the eff can my times be so slow, when he was doing that and swimming <1:00/100m!  Does. Not. Compute.

Brace yourself, there are LOTS of references to TI.  Not by name, per se, but you definitely know when she's talking about TI and what NOT to do, especially with any reference to "glide" and stroke rate.  In fairness, she does a good job of explaining why that just doesn't work or make sense with her technique. 

2013-11-15 10:52 AM
in reply to: switch

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by switch

"Let’s look at his times: In February 1924, Weissmuller swam a 57.4 in the 100-m freestyle (long course meters). Sure, the world record now is 46.91, set by Cesar Cielo of Brazil (2009 World Championships), and the women’s world record is 52.07 (Britta Steffen, Germany, 2009 World Championships), but how many of you who are reading this book would think you were the cat’s meow for going a time like Weissmuller’s? And it wasn’t just the short races in which Weissmuller set world records. He also owned the 400-m and 800-m freestyle records: 4: 57.0 in the 400, set in 1923, and 10: 22.2 in the 800..."

Um, DAH-UMN.  Those times are unbelievable.  I mean, his head was above the water and his legs were pointed at maybe 30-45 degrees downward.  I'm thinking maybe I should try his technique, since he's so much faster than me.

"First, I wanted to write a book for triathletes more than any other group. I feel that this group has latched on to one swim-technique theory for too long." (Chapter 1)

"A weekend swimming clinic is coming to town. It is marketed as holding the key to unleashing your swimming potential. At the clinic, swimmers are told that taking fewer strokes is better. The focus is entirely on reducing the number of strokes to get across the pool. From our equation, we know this is a good thing. However, at this clinic, the swimmers are not told about the other half of the equation. All weekend, the participants are in the water— reaching, extending, and gliding out front. They look beautiful and smooth. The athletes get excited about having reduced their number of strokes from 10 down to 8. They probably raised their hands to tell the coach the good news, and the coach probably high-fived them."  (Chapter 2)

HAHAHA!  i thought the same thing when reading about the tarzan technique.  Like, how in the eff can my times be so slow, when he was doing that and swimming <1:00/100m!  Does. Not. Compute.

Brace yourself, there are LOTS of references to TI.  Not by name, per se, but you definitely know when she's talking about TI and what NOT to do, especially with any reference to "glide" and stroke rate.  In fairness, she does a good job of explaining why that just doesn't work or make sense with her technique. 

Oh it definitely is. They go back a few years. There are some ST articles that might be over 10 yrs old on it.

2013-11-15 11:56 AM

User image

Thanks, Elesa, for getting this going.  As I'm reading through all you good folk's bios I'm praying "please be slower than me...please be slower than me".  Nope.   It's with much intimidation that I'm joining in this group and discussion as I'm an old lady and your times blow me out of the water.  My name is Brenda and the only thing I have in common with Sheila T is that I'm also short (5'1").  Took my first swim lesson about 7 years ago when I wanted to get into triathlons (there's a large sprint one locally that piqued my interest).  I have no athletic background so at that same time I took up biking and running.  I live in rural mid-America and we only have a Y pool in our town with no masters class.  I was taught the "S" stroke.  I've made the normal progression in distance and am registered to do IMWI 2014 (a bucket list item).  My average is 2:30/100 with a stroke count of 25.  I see you scrunching your face and cringing at those numbers so don't deny it.   Yep.   The funny thing is, I really LIKE swimming and being in the water.  I learned from the get-go to bilateral breath but haven't even given thought to learning flip turns.  I can't swim in the ocean or Great Lakes as I get motion sickness from the waves, otherwise, I have no panic in lake open water (that's why I chose IMWI).  I KNOW I have it in me to get faster and I just need help and direction.   Thanks for letting me in to glean what I can from SSS with you all.

2013-11-15 12:13 PM
in reply to: bswcpa

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by bswcpa

Thanks, Elesa, for getting this going.  As I'm reading through all you good folk's bios I'm praying "please be slower than me...please be slower than me".  Nope.   It's with much intimidation that I'm joining in this group and discussion as I'm an old lady and your times blow me out of the water.  My name is Brenda and the only thing I have in common with Sheila T is that I'm also short (5'1").  Took my first swim lesson about 7 years ago when I wanted to get into triathlons (there's a large sprint one locally that piqued my interest).  I have no athletic background so at that same time I took up biking and running.  I live in rural mid-America and we only have a Y pool in our town with no masters class.  I was taught the "S" stroke.  I've made the normal progression in distance and am registered to do IMWI 2014 (a bucket list item).  My average is 2:30/100 with a stroke count of 25.  I see you scrunching your face and cringing at those numbers so don't deny it.   Yep.   The funny thing is, I really LIKE swimming and being in the water.  I learned from the get-go to bilateral breath but haven't even given thought to learning flip turns.  I can't swim in the ocean or Great Lakes as I get motion sickness from the waves, otherwise, I have no panic in lake open water (that's why I chose IMWI).  I KNOW I have it in me to get faster and I just need help and direction.   Thanks for letting me in to glean what I can from SSS with you all.

Brenda, that might be the most endearing bio I have read in a while.  Welcome:)

BTW, you know what I thought when I read your bio?  Wow, no athletic background and she had the courage to start with tris?  And in just seven short years you're doing a FREAKIN IRONMAN!  So completely awesome.  There is no scrunching going on here:

I think you are going to LOVE this book.  I am so excited for you! 

2013-11-15 12:19 PM

User image

Awww, shucks....thanks, Elesa.     

2013-11-15 1:47 PM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
I want to put the hammer down on my younger tri brethren in this area so maybe I can pick up a few minutes in the water, so I'm in. I just reserved my book at the local Barnes & Noble that I'll be picking up after work today.

2013-11-15 3:04 PM

User image

Franklin, TN
Elesa...did you get the workout book? I have Shelia's "Swim Speed Secrets" but not the workout book..just wondering if I ought to pick up the workout book too.
2013-11-15 3:31 PM
in reply to: JoelO

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by JoelO Elesa...did you get the workout book? I have Shelia's "Swim Speed Secrets" but not the workout book..just wondering if I ought to pick up the workout book too.

My workout book/cards is on it's way to me.  The first 6 workouts are on Sheila's website, and I will be posting the workouts in my log and I'm sure we'll be discussing them in here, so if you don't want your own set of laminated cards, you probably don't need to buy the workouts. 

I should qualify this by saying  I haven't seen them yet, and it may be really helpful to have your own copy.  Maybe someone who has them in their possession could field this question for Joel?

2013-11-15 3:54 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by puzzlecreek Hi all, I'm Jerred and here is my background in tri. I started running several years ago as I was approaching 40 and visit to my local doctor showed my cholesterol had made a huge jump in the wrong direction. Decided to do something about that and running seemed the natural course of action. Running actually lead me to a career change 3 years ago where I left my job as a stock broker and opened my own run shop. I added cycling to the shop last year and began cycling as well as a way to take some "pressure" off my mid-life knees. I liked cycling immediately and was a happy camper just doing the two. Well, enters my training partner, she suggested that I start swimming and think about a tri. Well, I'm a push over and started swimming last June. Swimming is my toughest leg. It is not natural to me and I do not float. Crazy, but I sink when I try, so I have fought bad body positioning ever since. I am always playing catch up on the bike and run. Although I have really had a great first year in triathlons, 2 sprint, 3 internationals and 1 HIM, I would like to improve the swim so I am not coming out of the water 10 minutes behind in my AG. It's funny that Elesa posted this because my focus this winter is to improve my swim times and to increase my FTP on the bike. So this fits right in to what I wanted to do. I like seeing others stories and how they improve because that motivates me to get in the pool and work on my swimming. So hello everyone and look forward to seeing everyone's story and improvements. Jerred

I was reading your story and I thought to myself....I know of this person. Puzzlecreek outfitters.  Then I saw your name and e-mail and Hah! I live in Lake Lure. I have watched your store grow these last 3 years. (Yes, even shopped there), Where do you swim?

Hi, I am Robin. I have been in water all my life but never, ever competative. Never thought of even doing laps. I had a late mid life crisis, lost some weight and in the process started to run. I liked to mountain bike, I am a fish in the water, so I tried a triathlon. My goal has always been to finish, so speed, while nice to be able to have, has not been a goal. Due to minor health issues for the last few years, that allowed me to put some pounds back on, I only got back to doing tris this year. I did my first olympic distance this year, ad  it was GREAT but I had some panic in the water, which shocked me.

My swim times are the slowest here somewhere in the 2:00 s. I have never had coaching and really don't have the ability to get any due to distance so I am self- taught.. I have never even done a "swim workout" for lack of being able to figure one out. FWIW, I did  take a TI workshop and it helped immensley with my form and general stamina for distance, and ease, if not on speed).

I won't be able to get in the water for 2-3 weeks (just had foot surgery today and catching up while the pain meds last) so the only workouts I can do will be cords. I'll do my best to keep up.

It is exciting to see someone so very Local here, Jerred!

Edited by ceilidh 2013-11-15 4:01 PM
2013-11-15 3:57 PM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

I love seeing another Old Lady! and I am happy when I can get lower than 2:30. So we are about the same, except I can barely bilateral breathe

2013-11-15 5:14 PM

User image

Master
PNW
Ok, another slower lady chiming in here!

I'm Catherine, I'm 45, 5'4" and when I took a TI class, Shane Eversfield was calling me 'Little Shinji'. For those who don't know, Shinji is the guy who has done so many of the TI videos showing the 2-beat kick and super smooth stroke. So yeah, I have the position and smooth stroke down.

Here's the kicker, my best time is 1:55/100. My worst time (ie, recovery stroke) is about 2:05/100. I felt like I am the person that Sheila wrote this book for!! What is funny is that I've spent my life in and around water and I have zero fear of it. I love open water swimming (though I get motion sickness easily in ocean, too) and I'm fine with or without a wetsuit. I do bilateral breathe and while I can flip turn, I don't - motion sickness again...

I'm a cyclist first and foremost but when I decided I wanted to do a triathlon in 2010, I pretty much had to re-teach myself how to swim so that I could do the distances. That's where TI came into the picture.

Admittedly, I haven't been swimming much this year at all. Because I am a strong cyclist, I usually catch up to all the swimmers so it's never been a big priority for me. I am such a slow runner, that I've spent considerably more time working on running (also had foot injury and then surgery so took all of 2012 off) than on my swim. Low-hanging fruit and all that....

If I can fit 3 swim sessions into my week this winter, I'll be doing good. I'm going to have to accept that I'm not going to turn into Sheila with this limited training...but I anticipate making a lot of improvement anyway just because there is so much room for improvement!

Premonition? The other night I had a dream where I was swimming in a HIM and I swam past everyone like Weissmuller! I remember totally feeling the water and gliding past everyone with my head out of the water. All I could think in the dream was 'It works, it works!!". I was out of the water in front of everyone! Too bad I'm pretty sure I'm not psychic! ;-)

Edited by GLC1968 2013-11-15 5:15 PM

2013-11-15 6:00 PM

User image

I'm Mike, lifelong runner and the epitome of the "adult-onset swimmer".  I knew how to swim to play in the pool and do a couple of laps maybe, but that was it.  I started this tri stuff back in 2010.  I've had real difficulty keeping my legs from sinking.  I have no kick to speak of.  I try to physically overpower the water, with pretty lousy results.  I had been totally self-coached except for a brief stint in Masters.

I've had two breakthroughs in swimming.  Once in the spring of last year, where due to a back injury I was pretty much limited to swimming as my only exercise for a couple of months.  I mastered bi-lateral breathing and was starting to make some speed gains, then tweaked my neck and shoulder.  The second was this past spring after I joined our Masters group.  I was doing 4K meter workouts with the group and again was getting some gains, but that neck issue re-appeared.  I managed to get through my tri season and then shut it down.  Best 100y time is about 1:30, cruise pace is around 1:55 (well, was).

So, I need to almost start over, and would like to do it in a semi-coached manner.  Once I get some basics down (and be able to rotate by body instead of my neck to breathe so we don't have this issue again), I'll re-join Masters and get my beat down.

This book interests me because of its front-focused approach, which I think is going to be in my wheelhouse given my kick weakness.  I know I need to work on it so my legs at least get the hell out of the way, though. 

I haven't been in the pool since the beginning of September and probably won't start until next week at the earliest, starting with some drills and some strength work.

I'm basically in the same boat although I've only done tris for one year. I continue to struggle badly with sinking legs but I've been actually making some progress this fall. I've been working on strength exercises for my core and spending some time each swim focusing on using my core to lift my legs higher.
2013-11-15 6:03 PM

User image

I worked hard on swimming all last winter and summer and my best average time is 2:25/100 metres. I feel your pain.
2013-11-15 11:45 PM

Master
Northern IL

Did you get through her rationale as to why Weissmuller is so much faster than so many today, even with what would now be considered generally horrendous positioning? Chapter 3 is where she really picks it up with this.

Is that too far ahead? It's past 1/4 by chapter, but about right by pages.

2013-11-16 8:53 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Oh I hope the discussion on this book doesn't become focused on the differences between TI and her technique! They have totally different premises. TI is on effortless swimming. Her's is on speed. Having spent a long time with TI, their technique has helped me to spend much less effort to swim, and therefore upped my endurance in a huge way. I think using this technique along with the body position I have learned  with TI will be a dynamite combination.

I am loving the description of the high elbow and the science on why it is so dang important for speed. (ThanksTarzan). I am also loving her focus on the importance of tone. (though that is a little later in the book).

Of course, now I am lusting for a Halo bench... maybe a gift idea.

2013-11-16 9:55 AM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by brigby1

Did you get through her rationale as to why Weissmuller is so much faster than so many today, even with what would now be considered generally horrendous positioning? Chapter 3 is where she really picks it up with this.

I think the end of Chapter 3 would be a good goal for this first week for everyone. 

I actually wasn't crazy about the first few chapters. I kept wondering when we were going to get to the "swim speed secrets" part :)

---------------

I ran into my ex-D1 swimmer friend yesterday at the pool.  She was actually there to teach swimming to a group of college students, and we got the chance to watch them swim for a bit.  It is so interesting to watch people swim now--especially with someone who REALLY knows swimming--and breakdown the stuff that's going right and the stuff that's going wrong.  If any  of you have the ability to get some stroke video and post it, I think we could learn a lot by going through it.  I am going to try.  My tri team bought a GoPro, but lining up to use it is turning into a huge PITA. 

Anyway, she passed on a GREAT video that I encourage you all to watch,  It does an excellent job of breaking down the catch and shows some vectors/body angles to shoot for. I know I really need to think more about moving my body past my anchor point rather than pulling my arms through the water.

Edited by switch 2013-11-16 9:59 AM

2013-11-16 11:10 AM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Ha, I just finished chapter 3 and I too wasn't too crazy about the first two chapters but I too am a little impatient to get to the "secrets". But I like what I'm hearing so far because my body position and kick have little to be desired so if focusing on my pull is the key I am all for it! But I do like her writing style and so far she presents things in a simple manner. And I like the Pareto approach, I hear the 80/20 rule a lot in my business life.
2013-11-16 1:48 PM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

I think the end of Chapter 3 would be a good goal for this first week for everyone. 

I actually wasn't crazy about the first few chapters. I kept wondering when we were going to get to the "swim speed secrets" part

---------------

I ran into my ex-D1 swimmer friend yesterday at the pool.  She was actually there to teach swimming to a group of college students, and we got the chance to watch them swim for a bit.  It is so interesting to watch people swim now--especially with someone who REALLY knows swimming--and breakdown the stuff that's going right and the stuff that's going wrong.  If any  of you have the ability to get some stroke video and post it, I think we could learn a lot by going through it.  I am going to try.  My tri team bought a GoPro, but lining up to use it is turning into a huge PITA. 

Anyway, she passed on a GREAT video that I encourage you all to watch,  It does an excellent job of breaking down the catch and shows some vectors/body angles to shoot for. I know I really need to think more about moving my body past my anchor point rather than pulling my arms through the water.

Great video. Thanks for sharing. Though it strikes terror in my heart on all the things you have to think of. at one time. Then I breathe and remember, she builds one step at a time. The 80:20 theory strikes a chord with me. focus on that 20 percent that makes a difference. The visual of using your hand to go over the wall also seems to be a good visual for me. I can't wait to get in the pool and try it.

2013-11-16 2:34 PM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Champion
Bronze member

On another note. My Nook version does not have any of the photos of the drills. This is crap, that is easily as important as the words in this book. No answer from Nook why this is so.

2013-11-16 3:20 PM

Master
Northern IL

I actually wasn't crazy about the first few chapters. I kept wondering when we were going to get to the "swim speed secrets" part

Haha, the anticipation is probably driving you nuts! I had the same feeling, but think it was a good idea to set things up the way she did. Part of this is to help weigh different aspects as many seem to think in terms of yes/no towards importance. As in yes it's important, so work on it all the time, or no it's not, so don't ever do it. Which is really not the case. The pareto principle is nice for that as it'll break things into "do this a lot" and "do this some times" instead of all or nothing. There isn't really a whole lot to the book. Much of it is presenting the case for some things, mainly what she feels is most important to work on and some on how to go about doing that.

Will have to look at this later as I'm not too long off finishing another strong ride. IF=0.85 for 2:45

2013-11-16 6:57 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by ceilidh

On another note. My Nook version does not have any of the photos of the drills. This is crap, that is easily as important as the words in this book. No answer from Nook why this is so.

ACK!  That is C-R-A-Z-Y!  I'm sorry :(

2013-11-16 6:59 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by ceilidh

I actually wasn't crazy about the first few chapters. I kept wondering when we were going to get to the "swim speed secrets" part :)

---------------

Great video. Thanks for sharing. Though it strikes terror in my heart on all the things you have to think of. at one time. Then I breathe and remember, she builds one step at a time. The 80:20 theory strikes a chord with me. focus on that 20 percent that makes a difference. The visual of using your hand to go over the wall also seems to be a good visual for me. I can't wait to get in the pool and try it.

I really liked that visual too.  It reallyhelps me think of anchoring my hand/arm and moving my body past that.  When I don't think about that I am much more likely to try to push water behind me.

2013-11-16 7:00 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Haha, the anticipation is probably driving you nuts! I had the same feeling, but think it was a good idea to set things up the way she did. Part of this is to help weigh different aspects as many seem to think in terms of yes/no towards importance. As in yes it's important, so work on it all the time, or no it's not, so don't ever do it. Which is really not the case. The pareto principle is nice for that as it'll break things into "do this a lot" and "do this some times" instead of all or nothing. There isn't really a whole lot to the book. Much of it is presenting the case for some things, mainly what she feels is most important to work on and some on how to go about doing that.

Will have to look at this later as I'm not too long off finishing another strong ride. IF=0.85 for 2:45

Sicko ;)

And, yes, you know me so well, I was totally chomping at the bit.  I mean, I *may* have frantically skipped ahead at somepoint to scan for "secrets" :)

2013-11-16 7:18 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Warning: Swim Clinic Vent Ahead (this has nothing to do with the book; feel free to skip)

I went to a swim clinic today.

I left depressed (this is the second one I've been to). It's too damn much to think about, and I feel like the stroke reworking has set me back.

Things I "learned" at this clinic that are contrary to everything I thought I knew:

1) Don't breathe out continuously in the water. Breathe out at the last minute to maintain your bouyancy and to create more of a pocket in combination with your bow wave to breathe. wtf?

2) You set up your catch on the recovery. The way your hand enters the water is the way you should be catching; there should be no pushing/sliding of the hand/shoulder forward in the water to find the catch. double wtf?

3) I should "ride" my stroke more on my recovery (slow my recovery in the front quadrant) so I'm staying tall in the water and maintaining my balance. wai-whaaat?

I kinda wanted to cry by the time I left. One of my teammates apparently got some video, so if I get a link, I'll post it and we can try to figure out what was going on. The instructor has taught a lot of people to swim and I want to trust, but I'm very confused. What a mess... :/

2013-11-16 10:55 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Warning: Swim Clinic Vent Ahead (this has nothing to do with the book; feel free to skip)

I went to a swim clinic today.

I left depressed (this is the second one I've been to). It's too damn much to think about, and I feel like the stroke reworking has set me back.

Things I "learned" at this clinic that are contrary to everything I thought I knew:

1) Don't breathe out continuously in the water. Breathe out at the last minute to maintain your bouyancy and to create more of a pocket in combination with your bow wave to breathe. wtf?

2) You set up your catch on the recovery. The way your hand enters the water is the way you should be catching; there should be no pushing/sliding of the hand/shoulder forward in the water to find the catch. double wtf?

3) I should "ride" my stroke more on my recovery (slow my recovery in the front quadrant) so I'm staying tall in the water and maintaining my balance. wai-whaaat?

I kinda wanted to cry by the time I left. One of my teammates apparently got some video, so if I get a link, I'll post it and we can try to figure out what was going on. The instructor has taught a lot of people to swim and I want to trust, but I'm very confused. What a mess... :/

That's messed up.

Like really messed up.

New Thread
Other Resources Challenge Me! » Nov 15-Dec 15 "Swim Speed Secrets" Book Club Rss Feed  

of 12

RELATED POSTS

Oct 15-Nov 15 "Triathlete's Guide to Training with Power" Book Club Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by switch
Views: 16467 Posts: 83

2014-03-14 7:38 AM brigby1

Sept 15-Oct 15 "Daniel's Running Formula" Book Club Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25

Started by switch
Views: 38541 Posts: 615

2014-06-05 3:38 PM popsracer

3000 swim challenge... Nov 15-Dec 15

Started by simpsonbo
Views: 1868 Posts: 2

2012-11-17 12:46 AM simpsonbo

Winter Crummy Weather Challenge Week 6 Dec 9-15

Started by TriDDS
Views: 2168 Posts: 13

2008-01-21 7:40 PM MikeJ

Strength Challenge - Week 15 Check-in

Started by Ron
Views: 1396 Posts: 3

2006-12-20 11:11 PM jcjsc00
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 10, 2010
author : jgoss47
comments : 3
Recent college graduate struggling to lose the freshman 15 signs up for first triathlon.

date : June 11, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Are you about to race your first triathlon? Here are two great tips on swimming your first open water triathlon race.
date : March 17, 2008
author : randomescape
comments : 10
I first decided I was going to "do" a triathlon in 1994. It wasn't until 13 years later, in 2007 that I actually did. Why did it take me 13 years to get to the starting line? The swim!

date : June 6, 2006
author : DominiqueL
comments : 0
The Elite wetsuit was redesigned four times before going to the market in order to maximize its benefits. Does all this speed come at the expense of comfort? I had to find out.
date : May 16, 2005
author : AMSSM
Discussions on base training, intensity training, peaking and tapering, racing and competition and recovery and restoration.

date : February 13, 2005
author : Glenn
Without a doubt, we begin to notice patterns in our training performances. We notice when our good and bad days repeat themselves in our logbook.
date : January 10, 2005
author : trithis
Club or group workouts are very motivating and soon you’ll start feeling like a triathlete, making you less likely to flake out.

date : October 10, 2004
author : Tri Swim Coach
Many people in the triathlon world think they need to just emulate Ian Thorpe to have a faster time, or have a similar stroke to Michael Phelps to cruise through the swim. Unfortunately...