Other Resources Challenge Me! » Nov 15-Dec 15 "Swim Speed Secrets" Book Club Rss Feed  
Moderators: the bear, kaqphin, tinkerbeth, D001, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 12

2013-11-16 11:08 PM
in reply to: axteraa

Master
Northern IL
Subject: RE: Nov 15-Dec 15 "Swim Speed Secrets" Book Club

Originally posted by axteraa

Originally posted by switch

Warning: Swim Clinic Vent Ahead (this has nothing to do with the book; feel free to skip)

I went to a swim clinic today.

I left depressed (this is the second one I've been to). It's too damn much to think about, and I feel like the stroke reworking has set me back.

Things I "learned" at this clinic that are contrary to everything I thought I knew:

1) Don't breathe out continuously in the water. Breathe out at the last minute to maintain your bouyancy and to create more of a pocket in combination with your bow wave to breathe. wtf?

2) You set up your catch on the recovery. The way your hand enters the water is the way you should be catching; there should be no pushing/sliding of the hand/shoulder forward in the water to find the catch. double wtf?

3) I should "ride" my stroke more on my recovery (slow my recovery in the front quadrant) so I'm staying tall in the water and maintaining my balance. wai-whaaat?

I kinda wanted to cry by the time I left. One of my teammates apparently got some video, so if I get a link, I'll post it and we can try to figure out what was going on. The instructor has taught a lot of people to swim and I want to trust, but I'm very confused. What a mess... :/

That's messed up.

Like really messed up.

Uh, yeah. I'm just ... wow. Headache coming on.

2013-11-17 6:49 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by brigby1

Warning: Swim Clinic Vent Ahead (this has nothing to do with the book; feel free to skip)

I left depressed (this is the second one I've been to). It's too damn much to think about, and I feel like the stroke reworking has set me back.

Things I "learned" at this clinic that are contrary to everything I thought I knew:

1) Don't breathe out continuously in the water. Breathe out at the last minute to maintain your bouyancy and to create more of a pocket in combination with your bow wave to breathe. wtf?

2) You set up your catch on the recovery. The way your hand enters the water is the way you should be catching; there should be no pushing/sliding of the hand/shoulder forward in the water to find the catch. double wtf?

3) I should "ride" my stroke more on my recovery (slow my recovery in the front quadrant) so I'm staying tall in the water and maintaining my balance. wai-whaaat?

I kinda wanted to cry by the time I left. One of my teammates apparently got some video, so if I get a link, I'll post it and we can try to figure out what was going on. The instructor has taught a lot of people to swim and I want to trust, but I'm very confused. What a mess... :/

That's messed up.

Like really messed up.

Uh, yeah. I'm just ... wow. Headache coming on.

OK, it's not just me.  I was literally sitting there kinda slack-jawed for the session.  It felt like a Punked or Twilight-Zone episode.  Weird.  I came directly home and started looking at Swim Smooth website for reassurance.  I like this person a lot, and I think they know their stuff (swims a :54.xx free), but it does not compute.  Totally possible that I misunderstood, except I specifically restated the three points above to make sue I wasn't hearing wrong, and she confirmed.  Now I'm really kinda hoping I get that video so you guys can see the "before" and "after".  I'm guessing it would be pretty entertaining. Lot's of examples in both on what NOT to do, I'm sure:)

Anyway, back to Sheila!

2013-11-17 8:28 AM
in reply to: switch

User image

Champion
Bronze member

that is bizzare. that doesn't match anything I have heard before... anywhere.

2013-11-17 9:08 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by ceilidh

that is bizzare. that doesn't match anything I have heard before... anywhere.

Yeah.  Right?

So I emailed her this morning, and said that it was totally possible that I heard wrong, and I just wanted to clarify these three points (I took out the "wtfs" but left the wording exactly the same as above) because they're really so, so different than anything else I've heard/read, and here was the response:

Number 2 need some clarification, yes and no. Number 1 yes, and let's talk about it. Number 3 yes sort of. The ride is sort of continuously spread but it's more like the hand kind of stops in the catch and so the other hand IS recovering but in its simplest form no, you don't hang your hand out there. But it looks kind of like you do. But its a side effect.

So it sounds like part of it could just be me not hearing it right--I always try to own that possibility, especially when things seem weird.  But still...

*sigh*

2013-11-17 11:49 AM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

OK, a little video of me swimming.  Not sure if this will be super helpful as it's all above water, but I'll hopefully be able to get some underwater stuff sometime soon.
The links are for everyone in the swim clinic, but I've given the time that shows my swimming in parentheses.

Beginning of Clinic: (1st swimmer 0-1:10, down and back)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fhz9KN0qx8 (Preview)

End of Clinic: (40-1:24, again down and back)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WTlePE_0w0 (Preview)

One-on-one Analysis: (14:00-16:00, with some specific feedback from the coach)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiP5fWsbW4M (Preview)

If anybody has some suggestions or feedback, I'm kinda wide open at this point :

2013-11-17 1:46 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

One of the things I like about Chapter 3 is the discussion of swimming as a 3 dimensional sport. She writes:

We have a depth component in addition to the lateral and forward/backward components.  It is this depth component that makes swimming different from other sports.  Two beautiful dynamics are going on at the same time.  One dynamic is taking place on the surface of the water, and the other is taking place deeper in the water where the arm is pulling...The hand and arm are anchored on the water below, pulling the body over the top.  Ideally, a swimmer wants to move the body forward, not the hand backward. (22)

I swam for a long time without making the connection to the bolded part. I'm a little embarassed to admit this, but for a LONG time when peole spoke about the pull, I was thinking about pulling the arm through the water, not holding the water and using the arm to anchor and pull the body over the water.  Super important distinction, but I didn't get it.  When I get tired, I can feel the difference, and sense that I am trying to push water back or move my arm instead of anchoring my arm and moving my body. I think Sheila does a really good job of explaining this.

2013-11-17 2:15 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Kinda hard to see much in the first couple of videos.  When I watched the first length of you swimming in the third one I thought "she's pausing and placing her hand on the entry" - then during her explanation it seemed like that's what she wanted??  I honestly don't understand what she's trying to achieve with that.

She also said that she likes what you are doing in the catch phase generating lots of power.  I however, suspect that some underwater video would show you are missing the first part of the catch.  There really isn't anything that is all that bad in your stroke - if you can get that catch right with a higher elbow, you'll have a solid stroke to work with!

2013-11-17 2:43 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Kinda hard to see much in the first couple of videos.  When I watched the first length of you swimming in the third one I thought "she's pausing and placing her hand on the entry" - then during her explanation it seemed like that's what she wanted??  I honestly don't understand what she's trying to achieve with that.

She also said that she likes what you are doing in the catch phase generating lots of power.  I however, suspect that some underwater video would show you are missing the first part of the catch.  There really isn't anything that is all that bad in your stroke - if you can get that catch right with a higher elbow, you'll have a solid stroke to work with!

Cool.  Thanks for taking a look Arend.  Much appreciated. 

I am absolutely missing some power and connection with the early part of my stroke.  It's definitley going to be a focus.

The pause/ride thing is tough.  As we'll all read later in SSS, Sheila talks about rate of turnover.  I had never timed mine before but on the first length in that 3rd video I was getting about 1.87 seconds.  On the way back--after adding the ride--I was getting about 2.22.  Sheila  specifically talks about getting this down < 1.5 seconds per stroke (pg 123).  Lol. Ugh.  Not quite sure how I'll ever get down there, but adding "ride" to my stroke doesn't seem like it will get me there.  It can all be a little confusing.  I'm not sure what ends up being just different "technique" and more clearly "right" and "wrong".

Thanks again for your feedback :)

2013-11-17 3:23 PM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

I am absolutely missing some power and connection with the early part of my stroke.  It's definitley going to be a focus.

The pause/ride thing is tough.  As we'll all read later in SSS, Sheila talks about rate of turnover.  I had never timed mine before but on the first length in that 3rd video I was getting about 1.87 seconds.  On the way back--after adding the ride--I was getting about 2.22.  Sheila  specifically talks about getting this down < 1.5 seconds per stroke (pg 123).  Lol. Ugh.  Not quite sure how I'll ever get down there, but adding "ride" to my stroke doesn't seem like it will get me there.  It can all be a little confusing.  I'm not sure what ends up being just different "technique" and more clearly "right" and "wrong".

Thanks again for your feedback

Agreed. Sheila addresses coaches wanting to see more glide and that it is counter to increasing speed. I think using your coaches advice and Sheilas advise is going to be pulling you in two different directions in a lot of major ways.

Nice that we have some folks who can look at swimming and help analyze strokes. I am hopelessly lost at that.

2013-11-17 5:39 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Agreed. Sheila addresses coaches wanting to see more glide and that it is counter to increasing speed. I think using your coaches advice and Sheilas advise is going to be pulling you in two different directions in a lot of major ways.

Nice that we have some folks who can look at swimming and help analyze strokes. I am hopelessly lost at that.

Yes, it's awesome that we have some very experienced swimmers in the group! 

Robin, I think you're absolutely right.  I am going to focus on Sheila and think of a creative way to talk to my coach/friend. 

How's your foot?

2013-11-17 6:01 PM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Robin, I think you're absolutely right.  I am going to focus on Sheila and think of a creative way to talk to my coach/friend. 

How's your foot?

That sounds like a plan. You can see if you feel any increase in speed using the theories in this book. If you do, then you will have a better idea what works for you, whether it is different technique or right or wrong.

You don't want to know about the foot. It is going to take longer than I had hoped. Every day is one forward though, even if at the pace of a snail.

2013-11-17 11:31 PM

Master
Northern IL

How's your foot?

It's possible that some may be using "glide" interchangeably with "extend". There should be some extension in there, but it's moving continuously and around into the downswing & catch. Glide would be more holding still a bit while out front.

Another possibility is that the coach may be trying to teach a much bigger extension & catch, and slowing things down like that may be how they try to simplify things a bit to help learn that, and later speed it up a bit so the stroke is more continuous. Just trying to float a few ideas to help things come together better. Don't like having someone dealing with such divergent thoughts if it isn't necessary.

2013-11-18 8:36 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

One of the things I like about Chapter 3 is the discussion of swimming as a 3 dimensional sport. She writes:

We have a depth component in addition to the lateral and forward/backward components.  It is this depth component that makes swimming different from other sports.  Two beautiful dynamics are going on at the same time.  One dynamic is taking place on the surface of the water, and the other is taking place deeper in the water where the arm is pulling...The hand and arm are anchored on the water below, pulling the body over the top.  Ideally, a swimmer wants to move the body forward, not the hand backward. (22)

I swam for a long time without making the connection to the bolded part. I'm a little embarassed to admit this, but for a LONG time when peole spoke about the pull, I was thinking about pulling the arm through the water, not holding the water and using the arm to anchor and pull the body over the water.  Super important distinction, but I didn't get it.  When I get tired, I can feel the difference, and sense that I am trying to push water back or move my arm instead of anchoring my arm and moving my body. I think Sheila does a really good job of explaining this.

It is a very important distinction.  I agree - she does a great job explaining it.  I enjoyed the first 3 chapters - like other said, there was nothing earth shattering but lots of good stuff.

2013-11-18 1:49 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

It is a very important distinction.  I agree - she does a great job explaining it.  I enjoyed the first 3 chapters - like other said, there was nothing earth shattering but lots of good stuff.

Yes.  Agreed.

I can still feel like I'm slipping some water.  I'm hoping that the drills and tubing will help me keep my purchase better. 

I went and swam a bit today at lunch really trying to focus on that high elbow.  One of the things discussed this weekend was trying to keep your armpit open to the pool while initiating the catch.  That seemed to be an effective thing to think about today...would be curious to see if that helps anyone elese.  It kind of goes with the videoi posted a couple of days ago.

------------------

There isn't a lot of discussion here yet.  How are people doing with the book?  It's such a quick read, I'm wondering if you're wanting to move on to discussing elements beyond Chapter 3?  If everyone is making good progress and we want to move on, I'm totally open to that.  Should we move on?

2013-11-18 1:50 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

How's your foot?

That sounds like a plan. You can see if you feel any increase in speed using the theories in this book. If you do, then you will have a better idea what works for you, whether it is different technique or right or wrong.

You don't want to know about the foot. It is going to take longer than I had hoped. Every day is one forward though, even if at the pace of a snail.

Dang.  I'm sorry Robin :/

2013-11-18 1:56 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by brigby1

How's your foot?

It's possible that some may be using "glide" interchangeably with "extend". There should be some extension in there, but it's moving continuously and around into the downswing & catch. Glide would be more holding still a bit while out front.

Another possibility is that the coach may be trying to teach a much bigger extension & catch, and slowing things down like that may be how they try to simplify things a bit to help learn that, and later speed it up a bit so the stroke is more continuous. Just trying to float a few ideas to help things come together better. Don't like having someone dealing with such divergent thoughts if it isn't necessary.

Thanks for throwing these ideas out there Ben.  I was definitely a little out of sorts in the water today.  Instead of doing a planned set, I just kind of played with some of the ideas that were discussed this weekend and experimented with how one change at a time felt on some 50s and 100s. One of the things that's hard about a clinic is there's just so much info and you know you're being watched, which makes it kinda hard for me to get in the zone--it's like I'm in my head too much and overthinking everything and then the stroke just gets more crappy.  It was good to just play with some stuff today. 

I had some moments of feeling "balance" that I haven't felt before, so that seems like a win.  And my lats/shoulders/armpits are very tired.  So that must mean something good, right? ;)

2013-11-19 6:16 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by switchYes.  Agreed.

I can still feel like I'm slipping some water.  I'm hoping that the drills and tubing will help me keep my purchase better. 

I went and swam a bit today at lunch really trying to focus on that high elbow.  One of the things discussed this weekend was trying to keep your armpit open to the pool while initiating the catch.  That seemed to be an effective thing to think about today...would be curious to see if that helps anyone elese.  It kind of goes with the videoi posted a couple of days ago.

------------------

There isn't a lot of discussion here yet.  How are people doing with the book?  It's such a quick read, I'm wondering if you're wanting to move on to discussing elements beyond Chapter 3?  If everyone is making good progress and we want to move on, I'm totally open to that.  Should we move on?

I can't say I've ever heard the armpit open to the pool analogy before but I like it!  It's a key step in getting a good catch.  I think this is discussed in Chapter 5?  I don't have my book with me to confirm that.  She doesn't describe it like that but it's essentially what she is saying.

2013-11-19 7:02 AM

User image

I'd not heard of the arm open to the pool analogy either.   I can't find it in chapter 5 but maybe I'm missing it.    I'm heading to the pool this morn and see on the workout card for Week 2-1 where in describing one of the drills she says "concentrate on high elbow catch, especially that the upper arm arcs slightly out as you gradually direct your forearm down".    That seems to be saying the same thing.   I'll try it out!    

BTW - someone earlier asked about the value of the getting the companion workouts.    I HIGHLY recommend investing in them as they're waterproof and have a ton of helpful side notes like the one above.   I'm a visual learner so there's good pictures throughout.   Don't think you'd be disappointed in the least for having spent $20ish on it. 

2013-11-19 7:06 AM
in reply to: bswcpa

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Sorry, the open armpit analogy was from Elesa's coach (I think?).  Sheila describes it differently in the book - I think it was something about rotating the shoulder out.  I wish I had the book with me...

2013-11-19 9:48 AM
in reply to: bswcpa

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by bswcpa

I'd not heard of the arm open to the pool analogy either.   I can't find it in chapter 5 but maybe I'm missing it.    I'm heading to the pool this morn and see on the workout card for Week 2-1 where in describing one of the drills she says "concentrate on high elbow catch, especially that the upper arm arcs slightly out as you gradually direct your forearm down".    That seems to be saying the same thing.   I'll try it out!    

BTW - someone earlier asked about the value of the getting the companion workouts.    I HIGHLY recommend investing in them as they're waterproof and have a ton of helpful side notes like the one above.   I'm a visual learner so there's good pictures throughout.   Don't think you'd be disappointed in the least for having spent $20ish on it. 

Awesome!  Yes, please let us know how the workouts are going!  What did you think of the first ones?

OK, so it seems like we are kinda ready to move on?  Could everyone just kinda check in with a comment or a i haven't had a chance to read or I'm on the 4th workout or whatever?  More posting please!

---

Arend, there is a really good picture in the book on pg 49 (black and white line drawings) where she shows the vectors working with a high elbow and open armpit v straight arm pull.  It's very clear in these that you get earlier backward press (rather than downward) with the arm pit open and a nice EVF.  Pg 53 also has a great pic of Mike Troy keeping that armpit open. She also talks about getting medial rotation of the deltoid, which, in turn, pushes the lat out and scapula up and forward, ready to load and anchor.

One thing I absolutely didn't know--and I know I struggle with this--is just how high that elbow is supposed to be.  1-4 inches below the water is VERY high.  working on it...

I also LOVE the pic on pg 58.  This might be my favorite pic in the book.  "You want to feel pressure here (forearm), and here (crease of wrist--but with a straight wrist), and here (palm)...every spot on the palm, fingers, and forearm"  So awesome!

2013-11-19 10:46 AM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Those pics!

(catch line drawings.jpg)

(sheila catch.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
catch line drawings.jpg (1875KB - 5 downloads)
sheila catch.jpg (3187KB - 5 downloads)

2013-11-19 2:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Those pics!

I've stared and stared at those pics before, but it never feels like my catch goes like that.  

2013-11-19 3:18 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by msteiner

Those pics!

I've stared and stared at those pics before, but it never feels like my catch goes like that.  

Lol.   Me too! :)

So today I did 25 repeat 100s with

Things that seem to be helping:

Thinking about keeping an open armpit for as long as possible and thinking about what the arrows would look like coming off my arm in the catch (dorky!)

Saying, Rainman style, "over the barrel", every single catch                                                                                                                                                                                 

Finding the balance that creates the right amount of tone--not tension.  Still really working on this.  I can only have it right (or what I think is right) for about 25yds at a time.

Does anybody  have any good tips for thinking about the right amount of tone? Right now, when I get "over the barrel" I feel myself kind of tense up to connect the core/hip drive, but then relax a bit.  However, I read somewhere that "good" swimmers are constantly moving from one hip rotation to the next, and if that is true, I shouldn't be relaxing as much as I am between catches.  Thoughts?

Edited by switch 2013-11-19 3:18 PM
2013-11-19 3:48 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas
Been MIA for a few days, but I wanted to introduce myself as well.

I'm Nicole and have little swim background. I did swimming lessons as a kid, but I always got swimmer's ear and as soon as I'd progressed far enough that my parents were content, I stopped....heh. For about five years, I was big into scuba diving and I took an advanced class that required us to be able to do 400m in someting like 12 minutes, so I got back in the water and quickly realized that it wasn't at all natural to me. After a few sessions, I was able to swim the 400m, and promptly stopped once again!

Picked up the tri thing in 2012 and started swimming. I was probably in the 2:1X/100y range when I started and worked my way down to 2:0X/100y before I found a master's group and joined. I've now been swimming with my master's group for just over a year and have made some good progress. I did a 500m TT a couple weeks ago in 7:27 and was very pleased with it. Currently swimming 3x a week at about 10k/week.

I'm through Chapter 5 of the book and have found it pretty interesting so far. I'd love to get some underwater video of my stroke....I think my right side is better than my left side. I feel like I do something slightly off on the left side that results in my left elbow "slipping" through the water a few inches before the catch part of the stroke actually starts. I'm hoping there will be an "ah-ha" moment reading the book shortly
2013-11-19 7:08 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT

This has been helpful, so thanks.

I have finished this book and have been rereading it with the hope to try to understand the swimming motion. I 've watched hundreds of hours of video and it has helped hearing and seeing the 'correct' body position and 'correct' stroke. I do understand that I am physically limited due to my shoulder injury but also do feel like I know what I need to do now to get to the next level.

Proper technique is the key, but it is helpful to know what that actually is. We'll see if this works in 2014.

'light bulb blinks on'

Edited by dtoce 2013-11-19 7:09 PM
New Thread
Other Resources Challenge Me! » Nov 15-Dec 15 "Swim Speed Secrets" Book Club Rss Feed  

of 12

RELATED POSTS

Oct 15-Nov 15 "Triathlete's Guide to Training with Power" Book Club Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by switch
Views: 16480 Posts: 83

2014-03-14 7:38 AM brigby1

Sept 15-Oct 15 "Daniel's Running Formula" Book Club Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25

Started by switch
Views: 38591 Posts: 615

2014-06-05 3:38 PM popsracer

3000 swim challenge... Nov 15-Dec 15

Started by simpsonbo
Views: 1872 Posts: 2

2012-11-17 12:46 AM simpsonbo

Winter Crummy Weather Challenge Week 6 Dec 9-15

Started by TriDDS
Views: 2173 Posts: 13

2008-01-21 7:40 PM MikeJ

Strength Challenge - Week 15 Check-in

Started by Ron
Views: 1401 Posts: 3

2006-12-20 11:11 PM jcjsc00
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 10, 2010
author : jgoss47
comments : 3
Recent college graduate struggling to lose the freshman 15 signs up for first triathlon.

date : June 11, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Are you about to race your first triathlon? Here are two great tips on swimming your first open water triathlon race.
date : March 17, 2008
author : randomescape
comments : 10
I first decided I was going to "do" a triathlon in 1994. It wasn't until 13 years later, in 2007 that I actually did. Why did it take me 13 years to get to the starting line? The swim!

date : June 6, 2006
author : DominiqueL
comments : 0
The Elite wetsuit was redesigned four times before going to the market in order to maximize its benefits. Does all this speed come at the expense of comfort? I had to find out.
date : May 16, 2005
author : AMSSM
Discussions on base training, intensity training, peaking and tapering, racing and competition and recovery and restoration.

date : February 13, 2005
author : Glenn
Without a doubt, we begin to notice patterns in our training performances. We notice when our good and bad days repeat themselves in our logbook.
date : January 10, 2005
author : trithis
Club or group workouts are very motivating and soon you’ll start feeling like a triathlete, making you less likely to flake out.

date : October 10, 2004
author : Tri Swim Coach
Many people in the triathlon world think they need to just emulate Ian Thorpe to have a faster time, or have a similar stroke to Michael Phelps to cruise through the swim. Unfortunately...