of 4

2013-09-24 6:18 PM
in reply to: Teejaay

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ
Subject: RE: CrossFit's Dirty Little Secret
Originally posted by Teejaay

I just read this blog from a person that does crossfit and has some feelings on the link the OP provided ...and as she states it's about personal responsibility.  I agree 100% with that.  Know the risks of your chosen sport and pay attention to your body!

CrossFit Doesn't Have a Dirty Little Secret -- You're Just Irresponsible

http://www.sweetlifeericka.com/2013/09/crossfit-doesnt-have-dirty-little.html?spref=fb

While I can agree with personal responsibility I think there is a professional responsibility as well if in fact the occurrence of Rhabdo is much higher than average as noted in the article.  Like you stated on my FB, your "box" educated you up front about what it is and the signs to look out for.  That is professional responsibility.  I would guess the piece is either blatant sensationalism or the author walked into one of the DB boxes out there that preaches this sort of thing and then cast a blanket of assumption on the entire movement.  Judging from responses of other friends that are into CF the whole mascot thing is certainly out there and is joked about in SOME gyms but they also admit those are not the types of gyms they would ever feel safe setting foot in.  

2013-09-24 7:38 PM
in reply to: 0

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by Teejaay 2013-09-24 7:40 PM
2013-09-24 7:49 PM

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ
Originally posted by thebigb

I just read this blog from a person that does crossfit and has some feelings on the link the OP provided ...and as she states it's about personal responsibility.  I agree 100% with that.  Know the risks of your chosen sport and pay attention to your body!

CrossFit Doesn't Have a Dirty Little Secret -- You're Just Irresponsible

http://www.sweetlifeericka.com/2013/09/crossfit-doesnt-have-dirty-little.html?spref=fb

While I can agree with personal responsibility I think there is a professional responsibility as well if in fact the occurrence of Rhabdo is much higher than average as noted in the article.  Like you stated on my FB, your "box" educated you up front about what it is and the signs to look out for.  That is professional responsibility.  I would guess the piece is either blatant sensationalism or the author walked into one of the DB boxes out there that preaches this sort of thing and then cast a blanket of assumption on the entire movement.  Judging from responses of other friends that are into CF the whole mascot thing is certainly out there and is joked about in SOME gyms but they also admit those are not the types of gyms they would ever feel safe setting foot in.  

Of course.  But you have to do your research on the sport and the gym (I can't call it a box, LOL) and make sure they gym is on the up and up and the coaches are certified, approachable and knowledgeable.  I've checked out other gyms and got an icky vibe.  Every CF gym has it's own style and feel for sure.  But in the end it's your responsibility to find a reputable one .. ask questions .. observe some classes. Are they a Crossfit affiliate?  What certifications and experience do the coaches have? If you get a bad vibe or feel like they are just throwing up a hodge podge workout and yelling at you to get through it .. run away!!!  And if you find your magical box (there I said it) and you know the risks .. the rest is on you. I follow a plan and a strict strength cycle.  But that's how my gym works .. they write the plans for a 4 month cycle.  There is a method to the madness so that all can make gains (at their own level) without destroying yourself.

Set your goals, leave your ego at the door and follow the program within your limits!  It's really no different then if you hired a tri coach and he writes you a plan to reach your goal. 

Totally agree.  I have a hard time calling it a "box" as well...that's just dumb.  

2013-09-24 7:52 PM

Queen BTich

Set your goals, leave your ego at the door and follow the program within your limits!  It's really no different then if you hired a tri coach, THAT YOU FEEL YOU MESH WITH, that you respect, and seem to be on the same page regarding expectations, training and goals... and he writes you a plan to reach your goal. 

There.

One wouldn't hire a coach they didn't respect, they were in the dark about those aspects of the coach-client relationship, and one that they felt was irresponsible. I wouldn't join a gym (and have quit some) that I felt a safe environment wasn't priority #1, and that only offered a hodge-podge of workouts. I can elaborate on this for hours and gladly answer and give advice to my friends who are looking to join a CF gym. But, as it's been brought up before, blanket "it's dangerous" statements are pretty ignorant, in any sport.

(I didn't write it in all caps and bold! The editor is seriously efffed up)

Edited by Comet 2013-09-24 7:53 PM
2013-09-24 9:37 PM
in reply to: #4862791

Extreme Veteran
I read that a few days ago and it scared the crap out of me. Made me wonder how easy it is to get it, from say, running a 30 mile trail race when your longest training run was half that.

My question: is rhabdo something where you'll know it when you get it? Versus just really stiff, sore swollen muscles after a hard event?
2013-09-25 8:54 AM
in reply to: Shop Cat

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by Shop Cat I read that a few days ago and it scared the crap out of me. Made me wonder how easy it is to get it, from say, running a 30 mile trail race when your longest training run was half that. My question: is rhabdo something where you'll know it when you get it? Versus just really stiff, sore swollen muscles after a hard event?

Yeah, I guess I have the same question. 

I have had blood in my urine twice following particularly hard marathons (lots of hills).  Maybe that was from something else though?

----

Teejay and Comet, thanks for your input re CF and rhabdo.  Everything you say makes complete sense. 

I could see myself getting caught up in a paired workout (I think that was the term) and pushing too hard.  I would like to think I'd have the common sense and ability to control my ego in that situation, but, umm, something (like way too many years of doing stupid stuff like that) makes me think I might not :)

2013-09-25 8:57 AM

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Originally posted by Comet

I also want to know what the point of starting the thread is without an opinion or comment? You're sure to get plenty of 'haters' on a triathlon website.

I was simply interested in opinions of folks (like you) who dabble in both Triathlon and CF. No hidden agenda, defensive much?

I also find that when people post a potentially controversial thread with a strong opinion in the first post (and I don't have one on this subject, for the record) it skews the entire thread from the get go. I wanted the conversation to take it's own course without my influence.

Edited by lisac957 2013-09-25 8:57 AM
2013-09-25 9:36 AM
in reply to: lisac957

Elite
Oliver, BC, "Wine Capital of Canada"
I just have one question. How do you pronounce Rhabdomyolysis?
2013-09-25 10:35 AM

Champion
Chicago
Originally posted by drewb8

How many athletes continue a race when they are dehydrated?  Crap their pants? Feel lightheaded?  Crashed their bike and hit their head?  Fractured or broke a bone? Then they keep on going ... There is risk in any sport.

Wow, how did I miss that race report?  And they probably still were faster than me...

Dude. It was YOUR race report! I'm not surprised you don't remember, what with all that crap in your pants.

ETA: Also, I think crossfitters are always defensive because they constantly have to justify their existence in the exact same way triathletes used to, and still do, when at least once a month another `Why endurance sports are bad for you!' article comes out. Crossfitters, though, in my opinion, take crossfit way more seriously than triathletes take triathlons, even the ones lifting only an empty bar -- they seem to take this `It's the world against us!' mentality to heart. I hear people making jokes about triathlon all the time, about the stupid clothes we wear and the stupid amounts of time we spend training and so on and so forth and I just say `Meh, I enjoy it.' But whenever I've tried to make a joke about crossfit, people jump down my throat. Admittedly, I'm not known for being a comedian, but just saying `I just dont want to spend $200 a month to pick sh*t up and put sh*t down in someone's garage.' gets me a lecture about the long-term benefits of crossfit and how that's the best $200 I'd ever spend and how weak I am. A simple `Meh, I enjoy it.' would probably suffice.

Edited by mr2tony 2013-09-25 10:55 AM
2013-09-25 11:00 AM
in reply to: mr2tony

Veteran
Morgan Hill, California
The "Lazy Person's Dirty Little Secret." You can always find an excuse not to exercise.

I liked the paragraph that started with "A quick search of the Interwebs reveals . . ." Yes, that is quality investigative journalism. That paragraph goes on to basically say that there is no scientific evidence to support widespread rhabdomyolysis, but it must be common because Cross Fit has a cartoon about it. Well, someone call Congress and get a law passed, we can't have any cartoons about medical conditions.

Maybe Ted Cruz's health care policy can be to repeal the Health Care law and replace it with a Cross Fit ban. Yes, that will make us healthier!
2013-09-25 11:17 AM

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ
Originally posted by mr2tony

How many athletes continue a race when they are dehydrated?  Crap their pants? Feel lightheaded?  Crashed their bike and hit their head?  Fractured or broke a bone? Then they keep on going ... There is risk in any sport.

Wow, how did I miss that race report?  And they probably still were faster than me...

Dude. It was YOUR race report! I'm not surprised you don't remember, what with all that crap in your pants. ETA: Also, I think crossfitters are always defensive because they constantly have to justify their existence in the exact same way triathletes used to, and still do, when at least once a month another `Why endurance sports are bad for you!' article comes out. Crossfitters, though, in my opinion, take crossfit way more seriously than triathletes take triathlons, even the ones lifting only an empty bar -- they seem to take this `It's the world against us!' mentality to heart. I hear people making jokes about triathlon all the time, about the stupid clothes we wear and the stupid amounts of time we spend training and so on and so forth and I just say `Meh, I enjoy it.' But whenever I've tried to make a joke about crossfit, people jump down my throat. Admittedly, I'm not known for being a comedian, but just saying `I just dont want to spend $200 a month to pick sh*t up and put sh*t down in someone's garage.' gets me a lecture about the long-term benefits of crossfit and how that's the best $200 I'd ever spend and how weak I am. A simple `Meh, I enjoy it.' would probably suffice.

Nail on the head.  And no offense to Comet meant but her first reply basically illustrates this.  (runs for cover)  I've hung out in large groups of CF doers and quickly learned rule #1 in CF is "you do not joke about CF".  Doing so results in a lecture on how awesome it is, how everything else sucks and how you have to do it.  Triathletes may share a lot of the trials and tribulations that crossfit is going through now but I think as a whole, most triathletes are able to laugh at themselves at the end of the day because we know we are ridiculous.  

With that said, if I weren't into tris I could see giving CF a go.  I did the gym thing for years and it was mind numbing boring and I missed competition, thus back to running and tris.  

2013-09-25 11:18 AM
in reply to: lisac957

Veteran
Berkley
Originally posted by lisac957

Originally posted by Comet

I also want to know what the point of starting the thread is without an opinion or comment? You're sure to get plenty of 'haters' on a triathlon website.

I was simply interested in opinions of folks (like you) who dabble in both Triathlon and CF. No hidden agenda, defensive much?

I also find that when people post a potentially controversial thread with a strong opinion in the first post (and I don't have one on this subject, for the record) it skews the entire thread from the get go. I wanted the conversation to take it's own course without my influence.

Unacceptable Lisa.
2013-09-25 11:19 AM
in reply to: peby

Champion
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by peby I just have one question. How do you pronounce Rhabdomyolysis?

Rhab-do-my-ol-y-sis? 

Just a guess... Huh, I probably could have looked it up instead of just writing something down that I really have no idea about, but where's the fun in that? 

2013-09-25 11:21 AM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by blueyedbikergirl

Originally posted by peby I just have one question. How do you pronounce Rhabdomyolysis?

Rhab-do-my-ol-y-sis? 

Just a guess... Huh, I probably could have looked it up instead of just writing something down that I really have no idea about, but where's the fun in that? 

Rab-doh-my-lo-sis.  As in, "Hey, don't rab do my lo, sis"
2013-09-25 11:27 AM
in reply to: switch

Champion
Chicago
Originally posted by switch

Rhab-do-my-ol-y-sis? 

It's weird if you want your sis to rab do your lo, though.
2013-09-25 11:59 AM

Regular
LHOTP

Rhab-do-my-ol-y-sis? 

It's weird if you want your sis to rab do your lo, though.

I call all my bitchez "sis". g2g.

2013-09-25 12:04 PM

Edited by Teejaay 2013-09-25 12:05 PM
2013-09-25 12:08 PM
in reply to: switch

Champion
Austin, Texas

Rhab-do-my-ol-y-sis? 

But the "o" is before the "lysis"... wouldn't that make it a my-oly-sis instead of a my-losis? 

2013-09-25 12:16 PM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

Regular
LHOTP

Rhab-do-my-ol-y-sis? 

But the "o" is before the "lysis"... wouldn't that make it a my-oly-sis instead of a my-losis? 

Yeah, you'd think so, but when I hear the docs say it, that o gets lost.  Could be a regional thing.  I work in a field that studies "apoptosis" there are like five different official pronunciations...and each group thinks there's is right. 
2013-09-25 12:28 PM

Master
Livonia, MI

Dude. It was YOUR race report! I'm not surprised you don't remember, what with all that crap in your pants. ETA: Also, I think crossfitters are always defensive because they constantly have to justify their existence in the exact same way triathletes used to, and still do, when at least once a month another `Why endurance sports are bad for you!' article comes out. Crossfitters, though, in my opinion, take crossfit way more seriously than triathletes take triathlons, even the ones lifting only an empty bar -- they seem to take this `It's the world against us!' mentality to heart. I hear people making jokes about triathlon all the time, about the stupid clothes we wear and the stupid amounts of time we spend training and so on and so forth and I just say `Meh, I enjoy it.' But whenever I've tried to make a joke about crossfit, people jump down my throat. Admittedly, I'm not known for being a comedian, but just saying `I just dont want to spend $200 a month to pick sh*t up and put sh*t down in someone's garage.' gets me a lecture about the long-term benefits of crossfit and how that's the best $200 I'd ever spend and how weak I am. A simple `Meh, I enjoy it.' would probably suffice.

Nail on the head.  And no offense to Comet meant but her first reply basically illustrates this.  (runs for cover)  I've hung out in large groups of CF doers and quickly learned rule #1 in CF is "you do not joke about CF".  Doing so results in a lecture on how awesome it is, how everything else sucks and how you have to do it.  Triathletes may share a lot of the trials and tribulations that crossfit is going through now but I think as a whole, most triathletes are able to laugh at themselves at the end of the day because we know we are ridiculous.  

With that said, if I weren't into tris I could see giving CF a go.  I did the gym thing for years and it was mind numbing boring and I missed competition, thus back to running and tris.  

I'd like to think that I am not being defensive but educating. I do crossfit now (and hike, walk, swim, etc) but at one time I did triathlon too. I was immersed in it's culture and drinking the tri poweraid.  Dreamed of being an Ironman .. but I stopped doing tri because I never got faster or better, it depressed me, I felt bad about myself, and I started getting injured all the time. I was able to step away from it with a .. "this isn't working for me, I'm not getting anything out of this, I'm frustrated with my progress, lets try something new" attitude. So I know what both sides of this are like. I happened to find a sport that my body type excels at .. I don't worry about my weight anymore.  I love progressing and meeting my goals .. getting PRs!  Something I was never able to do in triathlon.  It's a huge mental lift! THAT is why I do crossfit. Others do it for other reasons.

Ah, Teejaay I just had to say that I've felt really similarly, except I was good with just dreams of HIM.  Even a half pushed me to a point of feeling like I was becoming a WORSE athlete instead of a better one despite training under coaching that seemed to work well for other triathletes at my level and taking really smart people's advice.

Crap....does that mean I have to try CF now too?? Tongue out

In all seriousness, I have to be honest and say that I've seen CF going on in my big box gym and shrugged to myself that I just don't get it.  It seems like weight lifting moved forward past non-functional things like a clean-and-press or shows of brute strength popular in the 80's and became more functional.  I love using the stability ball, multi-planner movements more with body weight than a loaded up barbell.  CF seems a little like a step backward.  But I don't know much about it beyond what I see, and perhaps our trainers are not on the right track.  So I'm interested to hear others' thoughts.

Does it seem like more people are getting injured with the CF trend than with other niche gym workout type programs?  Yes.  But I don't know if there's real data to support that.  As far as the article, it just seems like sensationalism to me.

2013-09-25 1:21 PM
in reply to: noelle1230

Sensei
Sin City

I just do what's fun.  Crazy, I know.

I'm far from the typical triathlete, but it was fun.  I'll always be slow and it's hard on my body at my size.

I used to play volleyball cuz it was fun.  I used to snowboard cuz it was fun.  Now I'm golfing cuz, you guessed it, it's fun.

I don't feel the need to justify or defend it.  Nor do I care what others do for fun, even it seems like the LEAST fun thing ever to me.

2013-09-25 2:19 PM
in reply to: Kido

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ

https://medium.com/i-m-h-o/6d606a0b7d31

For the other angle although I find it funny how they indirectly point a finger directly at triathlon

2013-09-25 2:31 PM
in reply to: thebigb

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

https://medium.com/i-m-h-o/6d606a0b7d31

For the other angle although I find it funny how they indirectly point a finger directly at triathlon

More like directly LOL - they posted a photo collage of IM tattoos!

Good counter article, thanks for posting.

2013-09-25 2:34 PM

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ

What I find hilarious is the fact that after I posted your article asking my CF friends if there was validity in it (because I truly didn't know) they are now calling me a hater.   Aye carumba!

I'm going to post a counter counter article filled with a collage of tribal tattoos.    I keed I keed.

Edited by thebigb 2013-09-25 2:36 PM
2013-09-25 2:59 PM
in reply to: Kido

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » CrossFit's Dirty Little Secret Rss Feed  

of 4

RELATED POSTS

A little sadness...a little happiness...

Started by lkct01234
Views: 737 Posts: 5

2011-10-25 9:44 AM lkct01234

Secret (or not-so-secret) Gross (not-so-gross) Habits You May or May Not Have Pages: 1 2 3

Started by TriAya
Views: 7106 Posts: 60

2014-04-22 7:37 PM braciole

Going a little less "Postal" Pages: 1 2

Started by scoobysdad
Views: 2122 Posts: 42

2009-06-20 4:49 AM SteveyD

Let's get a little less serious....

Started by hangloose
Views: 1262 Posts: 21

2007-04-17 1:13 PM chirunner134

The Mac's dirty secret.....GULP!

Started by The Mac
Views: 1164 Posts: 23

2006-08-02 12:25 PM ride_like_u_stole_it
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 2, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 5
Dirty bike chain? Have you ever thought about cleaning it? We cover the basics of how to clean your bike chain and the use of different cleaners, degreasers and lubricants.

date : June 11, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Are you about to race your first triathlon? Here are two great tips on swimming your first open water triathlon race.
date : March 17, 2008
author : randomescape
comments : 10
I first decided I was going to "do" a triathlon in 1994. It wasn't until 13 years later, in 2007 that I actually did. Why did it take me 13 years to get to the starting line? The swim!

date : November 4, 2007
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
Are you a mindless eater? Do you eat too much at meals? Or do you graze throughout the day? Start getting rid of those bad habits today.
date : July 17, 2005
author : chrisandniki
“Too bad there’s not anything like this for triathletes.” There are a million books and articles on how to train. One of the toughest parts of triathlon training is how to fit them into everyday life.

date : May 16, 2005
author : AMSSM
Discussions on base training, intensity training, peaking and tapering, racing and competition and recovery and restoration.