Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 6

2013-10-03 9:57 AM
in reply to: Brit Abroad

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Why would a girl...
Originally posted by Brit Abroad

Originally posted by Left Brain My wife is absolutely direct.  I wouldn't have married her if she wasn't.  And yeah, she can be a real beeyotch....so what?  She certainly doesn't have the market cornered in that regard. Laughing

Wait, you said that, you called your wife a....beeyotch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LGEiIL1__s

Yes, ~looking around the room~, yes I did.

2013-10-03 10:03 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

OK that made me laugh audibly Laughing

2013-10-03 10:11 AM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by lisac957

OK that made me laugh audibly Laughing

I'm crying laughing.  Hilarious.

"I looked this woman in her optic scans, and I said" cue vulture sound..."beeeeyotch"

Fach. I'm dying.

2013-10-03 10:27 AM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by TriMyBest

Originally posted by switch The man who isn't scared chitless by a very direct woman is rare. And all of you men sitting there saying "I'm not! I think that would be awesome" have probably not ever had a really strong woman in your life;)

You're losing me now. Why would we be scared of a strong direct woman?

Sorry, for the delay.  I knew I would need more than my phone for this one;)

The short answer: I have no idea. I don't think men should be scared of a strong, direct woman.

The longer answer:  I think men like to be in control, or like to have the illusion of control. It's part of our social construct.   It can be emasculating if their woman is "too strong" or "too direct".  There's a reason why so many women resort to hard-to-get and other bs games--because for many men, that "works". 

In my experience, men who are really comfortable with themselves enjoy strong, direct women.  It's actually an excellent litmus test.  As someone else said, if being direct (not pyscho, direct) spooks them, great, you've saved yourself some time.  Next!

Here's where it gets even trickier: I think strong women like to have a strong man.  A very strong man.  The relationship with a very strong, direct woman and a man who kowtows is, in my opinion, a recipe for misery.

2013-10-03 10:32 AM
in reply to: switch

User image

Elite
brilliant. I must watch more of those!!! 
2013-10-03 10:40 AM

User image

Master
Rural Ontario
To be honest I find my level of respect droping an iota for those who change their names after marriage.
For the person changing their name (usually the woman) it seems they lack some component of self worth, are slavishly adhering to antiquated tradition or are desperate to marry and will do something silly to acomplish that goal.
For the person who wants their partner change their name to be like his (or hers), it seems they are insecure about themselves and the relationship and/or want to establish some form of dominance or ownership at the outset.
Plus its so much effort for something so useless.
I believe certain Eurpean countries and Quebec do not allow for name changes with marriage, so if you want to change your last name you must go through a full-blown legal rigamarole.

I've been married over 12 years and unless there is an arrest warrant on my wife under her original name, I would not want her changing it.

Sorry if you don't like my opinion. Flame away.

2013-10-03 10:47 AM
in reply to: mgalanter

User image

Pro

Originally posted by mgalanter To be honest I find my level of respect droping an iota for those who change their names after marriage. For the person changing their name (usually the woman) it seems they lack some component of self worth, are slavishly adhering to antiquated tradition or are desperate to marry and will do something silly to acomplish that goal. For the person who wants their partner change their name to be like his (or hers), it seems they are insecure about themselves and the relationship and/or want to establish some form of dominance or ownership at the outset. Plus its so much effort for something so useless. I believe certain Eurpean countries and Quebec do not allow for name changes with marriage, so if you want to change your last name you must go through a full-blown legal rigamarole. I've been married over 12 years and unless there is an arrest warrant on my wife under her original name, I would not want her changing it. Sorry if you don't like my opinion. Flame away.

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!  Laughing 

2013-10-03 10:48 AM
in reply to: turtlegirl

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Originally posted by turtlegirl brilliant. I must watch more of those!!! 

Their substitute teacher one is pretty hilarious.

2013-10-03 10:50 AM
in reply to: Zero2Athlete

User image

Expert
Detroit, MI. Kinda.
Hilarious! I feel less alone with the "No, you choose dinner" game. And a good reminder that the things that drive me nuts can't be counted as negatives because they are pretty much universal.
2013-10-03 10:53 AM

User image

Chicago, IL

Originally posted by mgalanter To be honest I find my level of respect droping an iota for those who change their names after marriage. For the person changing their name (usually the woman) it seems they lack some component of self worth, are slavishly adhering to antiquated tradition or are desperate to marry and will do something silly to acomplish that goal. For the person who wants their partner change their name to be like his (or hers), it seems they are insecure about themselves and the relationship and/or want to establish some form of dominance or ownership at the outset. Plus its so much effort for something so useless. I believe certain Eurpean countries and Quebec do not allow for name changes with marriage, so if you want to change your last name you must go through a full-blown legal rigamarole. I've been married over 12 years and unless there is an arrest warrant on my wife under her original name, I would not want her changing it. Sorry if you don't like my opinion. Flame away.

Don't people do this ALL the time?
Did you buy your wife an engagement ring? Oh man, I hate those antiquated traditions.

2013-10-03 10:54 AM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Did you buy your wife an engagement ring? Oh man, I hate those antiquated traditions.

Oh no, I changed my name but didn't want an engagement ring...I wonder where that puts me?

2013-10-03 10:56 AM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Chicago, IL
Originally posted by msteiner

You mean http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dd7FixvoKBw

2013-10-03 10:57 AM

User image

Veteran
St. Louis
Originally posted by switch

Oh no, I changed my name but didn't want an engagement ring...I wonder where that puts me?

Hmmm, interesting. I think that would definitely put you in the kitchen, but not making him a sammich.

2013-10-03 11:00 AM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN
one can be direct without being a b*tchy. It is all in the way you talk to someone, the words you choose and the tone. It's really not that hard and no need for a power struggle. I do nto find it emasculating for my wife to come out and tell me where she wants to eat.
2013-10-03 11:03 AM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Originally posted by Zero2Athlete

Hilarious! I feel less alone with the "No, you choose dinner" game. And a good reminder that the things that drive me nuts can't be counted as negatives because they are pretty much universal.

I just tell my boyfriend to start listing off places so I can tell where where I don't want to eat. Ha!

2013-10-03 11:05 AM

User image

Chicago, IL

Sorry for lowering the tone, but it made me think of this (last youtube clip, I promise)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OB0ftOGCKrE

2013-10-03 11:05 AM
in reply to: kevin_trapp

User image

Regular
LHOTP

O

riginally posted by kevin_trapp

Hmmm, interesting. I think that would definitely put you in the kitchen, but not making him a sammich.

LOL! I love being in the kitchen, though I rarely make sandwiches--you nailed it

2013-10-03 11:08 AM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Sorry for lowering the tone, but it made me think of this (last youtube clip, I promise)

"She'll pretty much have to"--have to what? have sex?

Nice, I don't even get the joke...

2013-10-03 11:09 AM

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

Originally posted by mgalanter To be honest I find my level of respect droping an iota for those who change their names after marriage. For the person changing their name (usually the woman) it seems they lack some component of self worth, are slavishly adhering to antiquated tradition or are desperate to marry and will do something silly to acomplish that goal. For the person who wants their partner change their name to be like his (or hers), it seems they are insecure about themselves and the relationship and/or want to establish some form of dominance or ownership at the outset. Plus its so much effort for something so useless. I believe certain Eurpean countries and Quebec do not allow for name changes with marriage, so if you want to change your last name you must go through a full-blown legal rigamarole. I've been married over 12 years and unless there is an arrest warrant on my wife under her original name, I would not want her changing it. Sorry if you don't like my opinion. Flame away. [/QUOTE

HAHAHA!!! Thanks for the laugh. 

2013-10-03 11:09 AM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois

Best woman ever.
2013-10-03 11:16 AM

User image

Elite
Originally posted by msteiner

You mean http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dd7FixvoKBw

I looked it up in the side suggestions after watching yours.  having taught in inner city and now private school its hilarious.

2013-10-03 11:20 AM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

wow, wtf?

2013-10-03 11:22 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by mgalanter For the person changing their name (usually the woman) it seems they lack some component of self worth, are slavishly adhering to antiquated tradition or are desperate to marry and will do something silly to acomplish that goal. For the person who wants their partner change their name to be like his (or hers), it seems they are insecure about themselves and the relationship and/or want to establish some form of dominance or ownership at the outset. Plus its so much effort for something so useless.  

Why get married in the first place if that's truly your stance? Isn't marriage in itself an "antiquated tradition"?

2013-10-03 11:37 AM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
I agree maybe we should get rid of last names. I know a couple that changed there last name to Perry-Giles and there kid is a Perry-Giles. If they meet Smith-Johnson there kid would be Perry-Giles-Smith-Johnson. At this point it would be best to eliminate that family line rather than have to deal with 1000 character last names. All for the sake of preventing people from feeling like they are owned and but you can make them feel apart of a family unit. I purpose a change.

state where you were born, year, and number you were born. I would be WI1975002312 for my name. This way does not mater who you marry no names need to get changed and no one feels they have to "own" anyone.
2013-10-03 11:52 AM

User image

Veteran
St. Louis

"She'll pretty much have to"--have to what? have sex?

Nice, I don't even get the joke...

BJ
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Why would a girl... Rss Feed  

of 6

RELATED POSTS

Why Manny why?!? Pages: 1 2

Started by Revbigdog
Views: 2021 Posts: 39

2009-05-13 11:30 AM tri_d00d

Why, oh why?

Started by 1stTimeTri
Views: 1451 Posts: 11

2009-01-18 12:32 PM bmass

Another Great Depression- Why or why not?

Started by KSH
Views: 1254 Posts: 7

2008-10-13 4:59 PM Wolff27

Why Dreyers Why!!!

Started by JoshR
Views: 1278 Posts: 13

2008-08-01 1:25 AM Slugger

Sigh... why oh why

Started by bradword
Views: 903 Posts: 13

2008-03-26 1:54 PM mndiver
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 15, 2013
author : writingrunner
comments : 1
The science behind the reasons that triathlons make us feel so good.

date : October 31, 2011
comments : 2
What is so fun about blisters, sore muscles and chafing, anyway?
date : October 4, 2007
author : R_Laberje
comments : 14
Humorous short story about giving up feminine luxuries for the triathlon fitness lifestyle.

date : April 11, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
comments : 1
Have a goal when you get into the water. If your purpose is distance, then set your pace for endurance. If your objective is speed, then incorporate drills.
date : October 2, 2005
author : Team BT
comments : 0
My first reaction to wearing a skirt while running was, “are you crazy?” I am no girly girl. I then tried one of the newest skirts from Nicole DeBoom’s TRIKS line and I can tell you I’m hooked.

date : September 10, 2004
author : steve
comments : 0
The reason that I wanted to complete a triathlon is because I was watching one on TV and said to myself, "I'll bet I can do one of those".