of 6

2013-10-03 12:22 PM
in reply to: mehaner

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
Subject: RE: Why would a girl...
Originally posted by mehaner

Originally posted by mgalanter To be honest I find my level of respect droping an iota for those who change their names after marriage. For the person changing their name (usually the woman) it seems they lack some component of self worth, are slavishly adhering to antiquated tradition or are desperate to marry and will do something silly to acomplish that goal. For the person who wants their partner change their name to be like his (or hers), it seems they are insecure about themselves and the relationship and/or want to establish some form of dominance or ownership at the outset. Plus its so much effort for something so useless. I believe certain Eurpean countries and Quebec do not allow for name changes with marriage, so if you want to change your last name you must go through a full-blown legal rigamarole. I've been married over 12 years and unless there is an arrest warrant on my wife under her original name, I would not want her changing it. Sorry if you don't like my opinion. Flame away.

wow, wtf?

+1. Seriously?

2013-10-03 12:30 PM
in reply to: mgalanter

User image

NC
Originally posted by mgalanter

• .. my wife ... .

• So you own her?

2013-10-03 1:19 PM
    in reply to: Zero2Athlete

User image

You could always respond with something along the lines of what this guy did             http://300sandwiches.com/

It opens up some interesting possibilities for you.

2013-10-03 1:21 PM
    in reply to: MLPFS

User image

Champion
    the alamo city, Texas
    Originally posted by MLPFS

You could always respond with something along the lines of what this guy did             http://300sandwiches.com/

i'll marry that girl myself.  i'll even take her last name.

2013-10-03 1:25 PM

User image

Pro

Damn......now I fell like I got tricked into marrying my wife. 

2013-10-03 1:25 PM

User image

Champion
    Tacoma, Washington

Now that's love.

2013-10-03 1:26 PM
    in reply to: kevin_trapp

User image

Champion
    , Minnesota
    Bronze member

I have friends that both changed their last names to a new and totally made up name.  No, not a hybrid or a family name of any kind.  They are both avid cyclists.

They changed their last name name to ...

Velo.

Weird, awesome, you decide.

(I though it was crazy, simply as a former name changer who didn't realize how much a PITA it was to do).

2013-10-03 2:10 PM
    in reply to: BikerGrrrl

User image

Master
    Livonia, MI
    Originally posted by BikerGrrrl

I have friends that both changed their last names to a new and totally made up name.  No, not a hybrid or a family name of any kind.  They are both avid cyclists.

Velo.

(I though it was crazy, simply as a former name changer who didn't realize how much a PITA it was to do).

I don't know man.  Isn't it kind of a slap in the face to the guy's mom & dad, grandparents, other family members etc. to say "screw the family name, carrying on the lineage, the legacy, etc, I'm making up my own name"??  Not just taking on my mate's name, but making up an entirely new name?

2013-10-03 2:14 PM
    in reply to: noelle1230

User image

Champion
    the alamo city, Texas
    Originally posted by noelle1230

Velo.

I don't know man.  Isn't it kind of a slap in the face to the guy's mom & dad, grandparents, other family members etc. to say "screw the family name, carrying on the lineage, the legacy, etc, I'm making up my own name"??  Not just taking on my mate's name, but making up an entirely new name?

slaves to antiquated tradition!
    just remember - not everyone WANTS to be a legacy to their family.  i was happy to marry off my maiden name.

2013-10-03 2:24 PM

User image

Pro

Velo.

just remember - not everyone WANTS to be a legacy to their family.  i was happy to marry off my maiden name.

But everyone is.....the good news is we all get to decide what that legacy will be.

2013-10-03 2:30 PM
    in reply to: msteiner

User image

Originally posted by msteiner

Originally posted by chirunner134 Now you guys are making me second guess mine. When been together for about 2.5 years now. living together for 1. Figures someday when we are old and for legal reason it would make sense but until then there is no point. If we have kids she might change her mind but her turning 40 that might not happen. She talked about changing her last name to mine. Just not having any legal responsibility to me.

What does everyone think about a woman who wants to marry you, but she also wants to keep her last name?  Apparently it's not unheard of (here in the South it's not common at all), but I'm not sure how I feel about it.  

I didn't change my name and I'm in the south. I say that it's because I have a professional license and too many degrees in my name to change it but the truth is, I just didn't want to. I don't bother correcting anyone who calls me by my husband's last name. Oddly enough he doesn't bother correcting anyone who calls him by my last name either.

2013-10-03 2:44 PM
    in reply to: aponi

User image

Expert
    Scottsdale, AZ
    So if you don't change your name does "I want half!" still apply?  
    2013-10-03 2:47 PM

User image

Expert
    Scottsdale, AZ

Woah, not only can she apparently make a mean sammich or 300 but she's hot too...I'd get rid of my last name for that.  Sadly the sammiches probably stop with "I do".

2013-10-03 2:50 PM

User image

Master
    Livonia, MI

Velo.

I hear what you're saying there.  But would you have shed your maiden name for a made up name that had nothing to do with your husband's name?

2013-10-03 2:52 PM
    in reply to: thebigb

User image

Veteran
    Austin, Texas
    Originally posted by thebigb

Woah, not only can she apparently make a mean sammich or 300 but she's hot too...I'd get rid of my last name for that.  Sadly the sammiches probably stop with "I do".

Are sammiches a euphamism here?

2013-10-03 3:03 PM
    in reply to: noelle1230

User image

Champion
    the alamo city, Texas

Velo.

I hear what you're saying there.  But would you have shed your maiden name for a made up name that had nothing to do with your husband's name?

sure, if he didn't want to keep his name either.  since my first name is marilyn, i would pick monroe.

2013-10-03 7:07 PM
    in reply to: kevin_trapp

User image

Pro
    Omaha, NE
    Originally posted by kevin_trapp
    Originally posted by switch
    Originally posted by Brit Abroad
    Originally posted by switch
    Originally posted by Brit Abroad

Originally posted by mgalanter To be honest I find my level of respect droping an iota for those who change their names after marriage. For the person changing their name (usually the woman) it seems they lack some component of self worth, are slavishly adhering to antiquated tradition or are desperate to marry and will do something silly to acomplish that goal. For the person who wants their partner change their name to be like his (or hers), it seems they are insecure about themselves and the relationship and/or want to establish some form of dominance or ownership at the outset. Plus its so much effort for something so useless. I believe certain Eurpean countries and Quebec do not allow for name changes with marriage, so if you want to change your last name you must go through a full-blown legal rigamarole. I've been married over 12 years and unless there is an arrest warrant on my wife under her original name, I would not want her changing it. Sorry if you don't like my opinion. Flame away.

Don't people do this ALL the time?
    Did you buy your wife an engagement ring? Oh man, I hate those antiquated traditions.

Oh no, I changed my name but didn't want an engagement ring...I wonder where that puts me?

Sorry for lowering the tone, but it made me think of this (last youtube clip, I promise)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OB0ftOGCKrE

"She'll pretty much have to"--have to what? have sex?

Nice, I don't even get the joke...

BJ

So, on that note...

My wife's maiden name was Belew (pronounced Blew) and she insisted on using a hyphenated name.  I just snickered because her last name was "Belew-Underwood".  It was even funnier because I was in the Navy and my last name was pretty much my first name.

Any time somebody would call out her name, I'd make some comment such as "yes she did" and would quickly get punched.  That lasted about 30 days and she ditched the hyphenated name.  ;-)

2013-10-06 7:55 PM

Los Angeles
    I don't care if a woman changes her last name or not. If she does, good for her; if she doesn't, good for her. It is one of those things that should be "whatever."

What I don't understand is that for a lot of guys it is a deal breaker or a big deal. Seriously, I don't get it. It seems that it is only insecurity on the guy's part. And equating her willingness to change her name to a proof of her love is just silly. Also, to the guy asking for "their specific reasons," seriously? "just because" should be more than enough reason.
    2013-10-06 11:10 PM
    in reply to: Maui

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Maui I don't care if a woman changes her last name or not. If she does, good for her; if she doesn't, good for her. It is one of those things that should be "whatever." What I don't understand is that for a lot of guys it is a deal breaker or a big deal. Seriously, I don't get it. It seems that it is only insecurity on the guy's part. And equating her willingness to change her name to a proof of her love is just silly. Also, to the guy asking for "their specific reasons," seriously? "just because" should be more than enough reason.

If you have children, who's name do they take?  just curious.

2013-10-06 11:27 PM
    in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Elite
    Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by Maui I don't care if a woman changes her last name or not. If she does, good for her; if she doesn't, good for her. It is one of those things that should be "whatever." What I don't understand is that for a lot of guys it is a deal breaker or a big deal. Seriously, I don't get it. It seems that it is only insecurity on the guy's part. And equating her willingness to change her name to a proof of her love is just silly. Also, to the guy asking for "their specific reasons," seriously? "just because" should be more than enough reason.

In my husband's family (Greeks) the kids take dad's name but the wife rarely changes her.  BUT the church ( I know!) decrees the kids have to take the dad's name.

My sister has a daughter and isn't married but her daughter has dad's name.

I changed my name coz i didn't mind the new one.  If it had been ridiculous i wouldn't have.  it had no real meaning as such.

2013-10-06 11:48 PM

Los Angeles

That's a different issue completely irrelevant to a girl taking the husband's last name.
    A family might decide to name their kid Junior Dadlastname or Junior Momlastname or Junior Dadlastname Momlastname or any combination being hyphened or not. And as the other case, we can't judge the love, unity, integrity, etc that family has or lacks.

But if you must know, and in order to keep this thread on track with the original subject, send me a PM or start a different thread and I''ll answer either way.

2013-10-07 12:09 AM
    in reply to: Maui

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Maui
    That's a different issue completely irrelevant to a girl taking the husband's last name. A family might decide to name their kid Junior Dadlastname or Junior Momlastname or Junior Dadlastname Momlastname or any combination being hyphened or not. And as the other case, we can't judge the love, unity, integrity, etc that family has or lacks. But if you must know, and in order to keep this thread on track with the original subject, send me a PM or start a different thread and I''ll answer either way.

Uh......I'm not THAT curious.

2013-10-07 6:53 AM

User image

Champion
    NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete
    You aren't the right fit for her. The right fit might be a therapist.
    2013-10-07 9:11 AM

User image

Pro
    Omaha, NE
    Originally posted by Left Brain

I'm sure glad I got married 21 years ago and didn't have to think about any of this stuff.  

As mentioned earlier, my wife thought about the hyphenated name for a few weeks because she was fairly strong willed (ok, she still is).  I think I fell along the lines of not caring one way or the other due to her being the right person no matter what she wanted to call herself.

I do think it makes society a little more organized if both parents have the same last name and the kids all have the same last name.  It's not a big deal, but from a schools and just general friends sense it is a little more organized.  Oh, your name is Cruz, are you related to Becky?  Yeah, she's my sister, etc...

However with Divorce, re-marriage, divorce, re-marriage, divorce, re-marriage things do get quite complicated in today's society.  My daughter has one friend who has a Step-Dad with one last name, a Mom with a hyphenated last name (from a previous marriage) and 4 siblings all from different dads with different last names.  Talk about confusing.

2013-10-07 9:19 AM
    in reply to: tuwood

User image

Pro
    Bartlett, TN
    When I asked my wife to marry me, I asked her to become Mrs. Jford. It was the whole 2 become one, that we become a team and we start our family together. Maybe that is old fashioned, maybe it's not. But for some one to post on here that they would lose respect for my wife because she choose to take on my last name is foreign to me. I can understand women not wanting to change their names that are established or maybe getting married later in life, and I am not sure that I would have had a problem with that, but I fully expected my wife to take my last name when we were married in our mid twenties and not sure I could have thought of a reason for her not to take my name.
    New Thread
    Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Why would a girl... Rss Feed  

of 6

RELATED POSTS

Why Manny why?!? Pages: 1 2

Started by Revbigdog
    Views: 2018 Posts: 39

2009-05-13 11:30 AM tri_d00d

Why, oh why?

Started by 1stTimeTri
    Views: 1451 Posts: 11

2009-01-18 12:32 PM bmass

Another Great Depression- Why or why not?

Started by KSH
    Views: 1253 Posts: 7

2008-10-13 4:59 PM Wolff27

Why Dreyers Why!!!

Started by JoshR
    Views: 1277 Posts: 13

2008-08-01 1:25 AM Slugger

Sigh... why oh why

Started by bradword
    Views: 900 Posts: 13

2008-03-26 1:54 PM mndiver
    RELATED ARTICLES
    date : March 15, 2013
    author : writingrunner
    comments : 1
    The science behind the reasons that triathlons make us feel so good.

date : October 31, 2011
    comments : 2
    What is so fun about blisters, sore muscles and chafing, anyway?
    date : October 4, 2007
    author : R_Laberje
    comments : 14
    Humorous short story about giving up feminine luxuries for the triathlon fitness lifestyle.

date : April 11, 2007
    author : Terese Luikens
    comments : 1
    Have a goal when you get into the water. If your purpose is distance, then set your pace for endurance. If your objective is speed, then incorporate drills.
    date : October 2, 2005
    author : Team BT
    comments : 0
    My first reaction to wearing a skirt while running was, “are you crazy?” I am no girly girl. I then tried one of the newest skirts from Nicole DeBoom’s TRIKS line and I can tell you I’m hooked.

date : September 10, 2004
    author : steve
    comments : 0
    The reason that I wanted to complete a triathlon is because I was watching one on TV and said to myself, "I'll bet I can do one of those".