General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Chattanooga : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 25

2013-10-24 7:52 AM
in reply to: Rogillio

Master
Charlotte, NC
Subject: RE: Ironman Chattanooga : Official Thread
I got a call from the Residence Inn yesterday. I am pretty happy b/c it is 2 bedrooms and a kitchen which will work well for my family. It is also really close to everything downtown so my kids can be entertained during the race.

2013-10-24 9:26 AM
in reply to: tricrazy

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by tricrazy

I got a call from the Residence Inn yesterday. I am pretty happy b/c it is 2 bedrooms and a kitchen which will work well for my family. It is also really close to everything downtown so my kids can be entertained during the race.

Fantastic! It is great that your family is going. Chattanooga is a fun family friendly town with lots to do.

I will be doing this race solo. In Louisville, you had to have someone take your tire pump if you brought it with you to the transition are on race morning.....sine I will have no one to hand the pump off to, I would like to borrow someone's tire pump on race morning. But I guess it's waaay too early to start arranging logistic support. :-)
2013-10-24 6:08 PM

User image

Bethany, Illinois
Participant list is finally up on the Ironman site. Makes if sink in a little more to see the name on the list. Hope everyone's training is going good!
2013-10-25 9:54 AM

User image

Veteran
Plant City, Florida
Bronze member
Originally posted by Rogillio

Fantastic! It is great that your family is going. Chattanooga is a fun family friendly town with lots to do.

I will be doing this race solo. In Louisville, you had to have someone take your tire pump if you brought it with you to the transition are on race morning.....sine I will have no one to hand the pump off to, I would like to borrow someone's tire pump on race morning. But I guess it's waaay too early to start arranging logistic support. :-)

I've done a few of these (including Louisville) and only brought a pump once (New Zealand) and keeping up with that was tough. I now rely on either borrowing from someone nearby and that was never a problem or in the case where I found a flat (New York or rather New Jersey) in the morning setup I went to the bike tent. I do carry a small pump (bike clip type) just in case but have never had to use it in transition.
2013-10-25 10:36 PM
in reply to: cnixon83

User image

Regular
Originally posted by cnixon83

Participant list is finally up on the Ironman site. Makes if sink in a little more to see the name on the list. Hope everyone's training is going good!

Thats weird to see. It does finalize it a bit. Still have to knock down IMFL next weekend before thinking about it.
2013-10-26 7:53 AM
in reply to: hornjs

User image

Veteran
Plant City, Florida
Bronze member
Originally posted by hornjs

Originally posted by cnixon83

Thats weird to see. It does finalize it a bit. Still have to knock down IMFL next weekend before thinking about it.

I'll be at IMFL also and it looks to be a cold one.

2013-10-26 10:58 AM
in reply to: aintaround

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Originally posted by aintaround
Originally posted by hornjs
Originally posted by cnixon83 Participant list is finally up on the Ironman site. Makes if sink in a little more to see the name on the list. Hope everyone's training is going good!
I'll be at IMFL also and it looks to be a cold one.

I am doing FL this year as well, concerned about the weather but more so the rain as the temps being forcasted are a lot warmer than when I did it in 2010.  The wind is normal there on a good day.

2013-10-26 5:08 PM
in reply to: kenj

User image

I rode the IMCHOO course today. I did all of the out and back and 1 loop except for the first/last 3 miles or so. there are a lot of stop lights so we didnt mess with that.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/395809798

theres my garmin file for anyone interested. The hills arent bad, but they're relentless. as you can tell from the file, there is NO flat ground. The climbs are mostly just short little steep bursts. If you carry your speed they're not bad. Anyone who doesn't live in coastal flatlands will be fine. Flatlanders need to do some interval work/ hill climbs.

Let me know if yall have any questions, and goodluck to everyone at IMFL in a couple weeks!
2013-10-26 6:08 PM
in reply to: Iwannarunlikeforrest

User image

Veteran
Plant City, Florida
Bronze member
Originally posted by Iwannarunlikeforrest

I rode the IMCHOO course today. I did all of the out and back and 1 loop except for the first/last 3 miles or so. there are a lot of stop lights so we didnt mess with that.

theres my garmin file for anyone interested. The hills arent bad, but they're relentless. as you can tell from the file, there is NO flat ground. The climbs are mostly just short little steep bursts. If you carry your speed they're not bad. Anyone who doesn't live in coastal flatlands will be fine. Flatlanders need to do some interval work/ hill climbs.

Let me know if yall have any questions, and goodluck to everyone at IMFL in a couple weeks!

did that say 32 degrees?
2013-10-26 10:01 PM

User image

Regular
Thanks for posting that file. 32 degrees is brave indeed. Im hoping to go out and do the loop tomorrow, but will wait until it warms up a bit (but will contend with church traffic for sure).

Anyone riding out there tomorrow?
2013-10-27 8:46 AM
in reply to: hornjs

User image

Yeah....it was freezing. Frost on the ground. The course has a lot of shade, which was terrible yesterday but will be GREAT on race day.

2013-10-28 7:46 AM

User image

So who's doing which 70.3s in lead up next year? I think my wife and I are going to do Raleigh and then Atomic Man (local in Knoxville, TN) 4 weeks out. It would be cool to get a group of people together for dinner or something if a lot of us are going to be at some of these races..
2013-10-28 9:39 AM
in reply to: tricrazy

User image

Expert

Good news. I was on the waiting list but no call. I already have a room at the Hampton Inn so I'll be OK but I am a Marriott fan and most of my travel points are with Marriott. The location of the Residence Inn can't be beat.

I did the bike portion of a relay at the Austin 70.3 yesterday. Note to self, get hill training before Chattanooga. Didn't really train hard coming into this as 9 of us came mainly for a long weekend in Austin, just happened to be a race There wasn't 1 mile of flat road! Having a rental bike didn't help as the fitting is just not there. OK for the first 40 miles but my legs were dying after that. Unfortunately I need to dice 2 - 3 hours to get any kind of hill training in.

enjoy
2013-10-28 10:50 AM

Veteran

Did you ride it on a tri bike or rodie? Curious if id be better on a road bike with clip-ons, I descend much better on a road bike and climb much better also.
If theres no long sections of flat than I cant see any benefit *I* would get from using my tri bike.
2013-10-28 12:50 PM

New user
Thanks for the garmin info, it was very interesting. No matter how I loo at it, 112 miles is just a long ride. Were you able to maintain aero position throughout?
2013-10-28 12:54 PM
in reply to: Jseminary

User image

Veteran
Plant City, Florida
Bronze member
So - my plan is to drive the RV up, anybody got intel on a nearby site to set up?

2013-10-29 7:12 AM
in reply to: Rover24

User image

Originally posted by Rover24

The only place within walking distance I could get was at Days Inn, not very nice looking but it's close.
I will give up a nice Hotel to be able to walk to everything, I will bring my own pillow and sleeping bag just in case!

There is something to be said for being in walking distance - I just got back from B2B in North Carolina - friends had rented a house by the beach - it was about a 10 min ride to T1 (we rode our bikes there on Fri to drop them off), and like a 5 min walk to the IM swim start...so while everyone was outside freezing various body parts off (it was about 38 degrees in the am) - we were nice and warm in the house
2013-10-29 7:44 AM
in reply to: Rover24

User image

Originally posted by Rover24

Did you ride it on a tri bike or rodie? Curious if id be better on a road bike with clip-ons, I descend much better on a road bike and climb much better also.
If theres no long sections of flat than I cant see any benefit *I* would get from using my tri bike.

Its definitely a tri bike course, not a roadie course. none of the hills are truly sustained, just punches. the longest hill is probably only 2-3minutes and there are only a couple of those. the rest are just bumps in the road that you need to push over. I only went out of big ring twice on the whole ride. If you have a tri bike: ride it. I'd even ride a disc if I had it. It really isnt a hard course, just small, relentless hills.

As for aero, I guess it depends on the person. I definitely get sick of aero position, so pretty much sit on the bullhorns at all times when I'm climbing and then switch to aero on descents/flats. there is plenty of aero time. there are a few sections where you can cruise like 25+mph without much effort (net descent with some rollers) and you'll be glad you're on a tri bike in aero for that.
2013-10-29 11:20 AM

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro

Great intel, Dane.  Thanks!!

2013-10-29 11:31 AM
in reply to: Sous

User image

No Problem! If anyone is going to make it down to the course between now and the race let me know and i'll play guide. it's about 2 hours from my house and I plan on riding it as much as I can in the next 11 months.
2013-10-29 6:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Traverse City, MI

I know there is a couple of us from Michigan who will be making a trip down the weekend of May 17,18.  That also corresponds with an open water swim race that happens to be 2.4 miles in length.  Im still debating on whether I'll do the swim race but I definitely want to check out the bike and run courses.

2013-10-29 10:26 PM
in reply to: #4870970

User image

Veteran
Kansas
My brother in law and I are planning on driving in from Kansas City in the May time frame as well to ride the course. Would love to meet up with anyone else. Might try and shoot for that same weekend in May others previously mentioned.
2013-10-30 11:25 AM

User image

So who's doing which 70.3s in lead up next year? I think my wife and I are going to do Raleigh and then Atomic Man (local in Knoxville, TN) 4 weeks out. It would be cool to get a group of people together for dinner or something if a lot of us are going to be at some of these races..

I'm registered for Raleigh.
2013-10-30 11:27 AM

User image

Originally posted by aintaround

So - my plan is to drive the RV up, anybody got intel on a nearby site to set up?

I'm interested in how this looks. I almost have a reservation at the doubletree ... Somehow I'm waitlisted for one night. But I'm looking at other options. My kids are fascinated by RVs so this might be a fun thing to explore.
2013-10-30 11:35 AM
in reply to: miamiamy

Master
Charlotte, NC
Originally posted by miamiamy

I'm registered for Raleigh.

Me too.
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Chattanooga : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 25

RELATED POSTS

Ford Ironman 70.3 California: Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10

Started by kwfire
Views: 30782 Posts: 235

2009-05-07 8:59 AM Project_A

Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 61294 Posts: 579

2009-06-24 2:09 PM ironlib

Ironman Louisville : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 77 78 79 80

Started by B-RAD 303
Views: 173494 Posts: 1998

2009-10-15 7:16 PM Tri Sam

Ironman Canada: Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12

Started by smorg
Views: 40562 Posts: 277

2009-10-01 7:20 AM LK2SKI
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 23, 2012
author : ytriguy
comments : 0
Often it makes sense to race slower in order to finish faster and at the same time have a more enjoyable Ironman Triathlon experience.

date : April 18, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
An unexpected upside of completing a full distance triathlon
date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race

date : February 23, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
I will be 20 this summer and am planning on doing Ironman Montreal. This will be my first year of triathlon, can I do this and stay away from injuries?
date : November 17, 2008
author : mrakes1
During the race there will be plenty of opportunities to exchange bottles, so I'm thinking about going with the aero bottle and Gatorade bottle and fill up as necessary. What should I do?

date : September 12, 2007
author : johnrunner
comments : 6
Race report on the Chattanooga Waterfront Tri - Beginners Point of View. This was my first Olympic length triathlon and also the first time I had done a race with cycling shoes instead of cages.
date : July 30, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
If a heart patient can do these things, then so can those of you who haven't been split open like a fish and sewn back together.

date : June 4, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
I was not an official; I simply observed the race and the officials doing their thing. Here is what I saw: