General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Chattanooga : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 25

2013-10-21 3:13 PM
in reply to: WoodrowCall

User image

Subject: RE: Ironman Chattanooga : Official Thread
Since this will be my first one I am planning on keeping a pretty consistent schedule through January and starting full training mode to give me a 9 month plan. I have completed 4 HIM's but still struggling with some aspects, mostly due to the run and still being about 40-50 pounds overweight. I have confidence in my coach though, and she is racing that day as well, so will be nice to race an event with her around.

in reply to: FatSlowTriathlete

User image

Regular
I'm in. Will be my 2nd IM. Got a bad case of the sh!ts in AZ that killed my day, resulting in a 14hr finish. Would love to cut an hour + off and get into the 12s.
in reply to: FatSlowTriathlete

User image

Champion
Alabama
What do you feel your biggest challenge is for IMChatt?

For me I think it is remaining injury free. I'm on the road back to fitness and my natural OCD tendency would have me doing too much, too fast. Trying hard to keep the reins tight.

BTW, I'm at 310 today, down from 350 Jul 31. Only 110 lbs more to go. Ugh. :-)

in reply to: Rogillio

User image

Champion
Alabama
My swimming is coming along nicely. Today I swam 1,500 yds and my swim pace was: 2m 03s /100 yards. In contrast, the first of August when I started back swimming my swim pace was 2m 22s /100 yards for a comparable distance.

I’ve done some calculations and if I take this rate of progress for 2.5 month and do a hyperbolic extrapolation and integrate from T=0 to T=infinity with respect to the X-axis, convert to polar coordinates to factor in the earth’s magnetic field, the Coriolis Effect and the rotation of the earth, I get a pace that, when I factor in the speed of the Tennessee River current and multiply but a non-dimensionalized engineering smoothing factor, I estimate that I will be able to swim the 2.4 miles in next year’s Ironman Chattanooga in -4:35.04! That’s right, I will have a negative swim time according to my calculations! That is of course if I continue to make the progress I have been making and my calculations and assumptions are correct. This will give me an edge for the bike leg as I will be leaving T-1 before I even get there. I am excited!

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by Rogillio What do you feel your biggest challenge is for IMChatt? For me I think it is remaining injury free. I'm on the road back to fitness and my natural OCD tendency would have me doing too much, too fast. Trying hard to keep the reins tight. BTW, I'm at 310 today, down from 350 Jul 31. Only 110 lbs more to go. Ugh. :-)

Hmmm... my biggest weakness for any triathlon is the run portion, so I could easily say that will be my biggest challenge.  That might be a bit of a cop-out though as it's been a constant weakness.  Mentally, I think the biggest challenge will be to try and stay motivated from the beginning to the end of my training plan, whatever plan I choose.  I had a hard time with that this year for some weeks, and I'm still trying to figure out how to keep the motivation going for the whole season.

Mike... you're doing AWESOME!!  Keep up the great work!! 

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by Rogillio My swimming is coming along nicely. Today I swam 1,500 yds and my swim pace was: 2m 03s /100 yards. In contrast, the first of August when I started back swimming my swim pace was 2m 22s /100 yards for a comparable distance. I’ve done some calculations and if I take this rate of progress for 2.5 month and do a hyperbolic extrapolation and integrate from T=0 to T=infinity with respect to the X-axis, convert to polar coordinates to factor in the earth’s magnetic field, the Coriolis Effect and the rotation of the earth, I get a pace that, when I factor in the speed of the Tennessee River current and multiply but a non-dimensionalized engineering smoothing factor, I estimate that I will be able to swim the 2.4 miles in next year’s Ironman Chattanooga in -4:35.04! That’s right, I will have a negative swim time according to my calculations! That is of course if I continue to make the progress I have been making and my calculations and assumptions are correct. This will give me an edge for the bike leg as I will be leaving T-1 before I even get there. I am excited!

Have you been borrowing a DeLorean with a flux capacitor?  I know of no other way to have a negative swim time, and if you DO have said DeLorean with a flux capacitor... do you have room for passengers??? 

User image

Veteran
Vicksburg
Originally posted by Rogillio

What do you feel your biggest challenge is for IMChatt?

For me I think it is remaining injury free. I'm on the road back to fitness and my natural OCD tendency would have me doing too much, too fast. Trying hard to keep the reins tight.

BTW, I'm at 310 today, down from 350 Jul 31. Only 110 lbs more to go. Ugh. :-)

Great progress on the weight loss! I'm working on 15# off by the time I start my plan for IM Chatt in Feb. My biggest challenge is going to be to survive long runs in the southern summer heat and not burn out before September. I'm usually coasting into a season end in August because I'm just wiped out from a season that starts with the first race in March. A big part of that is the heat and humidity of July-Aug. It just beats me down and saps my energy. And unfortunately, that will be high volume time for IM Chatt. On a positive note, suffering through long runs in the worst of the summer will make a late Sept race that much better.
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by blueyedbikergirl

Originally posted by Rogillio What do you feel your biggest challenge is for IMChatt? For me I think it is remaining injury free. I'm on the road back to fitness and my natural OCD tendency would have me doing too much, too fast. Trying hard to keep the reins tight. BTW, I'm at 310 today, down from 350 Jul 31. Only 110 lbs more to go. Ugh. :-)

Hmmm... my biggest weakness for any triathlon is the run portion, so I could easily say that will be my biggest challenge.  That might be a bit of a cop-out though as it's been a constant weakness.  Mentally, I think the biggest challenge will be to try and stay motivated from the beginning to the end of my training plan, whatever plan I choose.  I had a hard time with that this year for some weeks, and I'm still trying to figure out how to keep the motivation going for the whole season.

Mike... you're doing AWESOME!!  Keep up the great work!! 

Thanks!

I agree motivation can wear thin at times. I won't follow a training plan, I will just gradually increase my volume and intensity so that I peak out next summer. So I guess my 'plan' is to s/b/r as much as life allows. Pretty vagues I know. :-)

I know it is just now October but I am already looking forward to spring.

User image

My swimming is coming along nicely. Today I swam 1,500 yds and my swim pace was: 2m 03s /100 yards. In contrast, the first of August when I started back swimming my swim pace was 2m 22s /100 yards for a comparable distance.

I’ve done some calculations and if I take this rate of progress for 2.5 month and do a hyperbolic extrapolation and integrate from T=0 to T=infinity with respect to the X-axis, convert to polar coordinates to factor in the earth’s magnetic field, the Coriolis Effect and the rotation of the earth, I get a pace that, when I factor in the speed of the Tennessee River current and multiply but a non-dimensionalized engineering smoothing factor, I estimate that I will be able to swim the 2.4 miles in next year’s Ironman Chattanooga in -4:35.04! That’s right, I will have a negative swim time according to my calculations! That is of course if I continue to make the progress I have been making and my calculations and assumptions are correct. This will give me an edge for the bike leg as I will be leaving T-1 before I even get there. I am excited!

Dude...you got bored huh?

I hate swimming, you people are crazy. I haven't gotten in the pool since IMTX. I wont start til probably January. I'm a naturally mediocre swimmer, meaning when I put in decent effort (2-3 days, 3k tops) I can swim fast enough for me to not get in the pool any more frequently. I swam 1:18:xx at IMTX and i only trained swimming for 4 months and didn't do much training.

I'm not tooting my horn, truly sorry if it comes off that way, I just cant fathom swimming right now with the race 11+ months away. I would be tired of swimming by February. I wish I had yall's dedication in the pool. I guess i'll just sit on the trainer all winter to make up for my hatred of those chlorine filled cesspools.
in reply to: Iwannarunlikeforrest

User image

Champion
Alabama
30m 21s
1500.00 yards
02m 01s /100 yards

Soon I won’t even have to stop at the pool….I’ll just drive by the pool on the way to work!

In other news....I've actually started to run a little. I say 'run' but it's more like an IM marathon shuffle....if that. I've been walking the dogs every night and they have a hard time with my walking pace. It is too fast for them to walk and too slow for them to run. So they are constantly having to run a few steps and then walk. So I decided to try running just a little....still fearful I will re-injure my knees. It felt soo good! I ran/walked for a total of about 1.5 miles. LOL I'm also walking about 2 miles every day at lunch. I figure I will gradually/slowly increase my run with the dogs and they can gain stamina with me.

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro

Originally posted by Rogillio My swimming is coming along nicely. Today I swam 1,500 yds and my swim pace was: 2m 03s /100 yards. In contrast, the first of August when I started back swimming my swim pace was 2m 22s /100 yards for a comparable distance. I’ve done some calculations and if I take this rate of progress for 2.5 month and do a hyperbolic extrapolation and integrate from T=0 to T=infinity with respect to the X-axis, convert to polar coordinates to factor in the earth’s magnetic field, the Coriolis Effect and the rotation of the earth, I get a pace that, when I factor in the speed of the Tennessee River current and multiply but a non-dimensionalized engineering smoothing factor, I estimate that I will be able to swim the 2.4 miles in next year’s Ironman Chattanooga in -4:35.04! That’s right, I will have a negative swim time according to my calculations! That is of course if I continue to make the progress I have been making and my calculations and assumptions are correct. This will give me an edge for the bike leg as I will be leaving T-1 before I even get there. I am excited!

Have you been borrowing a DeLorean with a flux capacitor?  I know of no other way to have a negative swim time, and if you DO have said DeLorean with a flux capacitor... do you have room for passengers??? 

Have you seen the size of that flux capacitor?  That thing is huge... where you gonna fit the bike rack?

in reply to: Sous

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by Sous

Have you seen the size of that flux capacitor?  That thing is huge... where you gonna fit the bike rack?

Plus, I will have to pedal my arse off to generate the 1.21 jigawatts.....

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Don't forget that you also have to hit 88 miles per hour! 

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro

Pfft.... pushing 1.21 jigawatts 88 MPH will be no problem!

in reply to: Sous

User image

Champion
Alabama

Pfft.... pushing 1.21 jigawatts 88 MPH will be no problem!

You guys are killin' me! :-)

Great swim this morning....

29m 46s
1500.00 yards
01m 59s /100 yards

First time I have ever been under 2:00 per hundred at this distance….even during my peak IM training when I was 50 lbs lighter than I am today. To be fair, I swam hard today and in the past I have always just kinda paddled along like a manatee.

306 today. Funny how the weight doesn't come off linerally.....it's like the body holds on as long as it can and then drops down to set a new 'set point'. :-) Least in my mind that's how it seems. It might just be swings in hydration levels from over-hydrated to under-hydrated.

User image

Mike, you are doing awesome and I love your posts!! Keep up the great work!!
I'm in the "offseason" now and looking forward to an imposed break this week when we head to Disney on camping vacation, still doing some biking and running. Heater is broken in our local pool so looking to pick that up again maybe next month.

2013-10-21 8:53 AM
in reply to: Jseminary

User image

Veteran
Plant City, Florida
Bronze member
Ready to roll

User image

Regular
I was out of the country and forgot to book exactly a year out. Just booked a two room suite at the Staybridge for 339.99 (OUCH!!) I have a co-worker with Diamond status gonna see if he can work some magic. At least the headache of not having a place is gone I was just hoping to keep it under $500. Ahh the sweet expense of triathlon.
in reply to: 7ofClubs

User image

Originally posted by 7ofClubs

I was out of the country and forgot to book exactly a year out. Just booked a two room suite at the Staybridge for 339.99 (OUCH!!) I have a co-worker with Diamond status gonna see if he can work some magic. At least the headache of not having a place is gone I was just hoping to keep it under $500. Ahh the sweet expense of triathlon.

Ouch. I'm at a springfield suites a few miles away and I'm paying less then $150..
2013-10-21 12:08 PM
in reply to: aintaround

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by aintaround

Ready to roll

This is actually an extreneous thread. The IM Chattanoog thread is:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

2013-10-21 12:18 PM

User image

Veteran
Plant City, Florida
Bronze member

in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Murfreesboro, TN
Originally posted by runswithcrazydog

Great progress on the weight loss! I'm working on 15# off by the time I start my plan for IM Chatt in Feb. My biggest challenge is going to be to survive long runs in the southern summer heat and not burn out before September. I'm usually coasting into a season end in August because I'm just wiped out from a season that starts with the first race in March. A big part of that is the heat and humidity of July-Aug. It just beats me down and saps my energy. And unfortunately, that will be high volume time for IM Chatt. On a positive note, suffering through long runs in the worst of the summer will make a late Sept race that much better.

Lisa, I know what you mean. I rarely ever do any running in July/August here in Middle TN because of the heat and humidity. This year, though, training for IMFL, I made myself get out EARLY in the morning and get the miles in. Yes, it was still humid and sticky, but having the IM as a goal helped me push through. Hopefully it has made me a HTFU runner too. LOL. good luck and don't make the WHOLE year about Ironman, it will get old quick and the time and miles are long especially near the end.

-Chris

Edited by Chris.1333 2013-10-21 3:09 PM
2013-10-21 5:27 PM
in reply to: 7ofClubs

Veteran
The only place within walking distance I could get was at Days Inn, not very nice looking but it's close.
I will give up a nice Hotel to be able to walk to everything, I will bring my own pillow and sleeping bag just in case!
2013-10-22 7:38 AM
in reply to: Rover24

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by Rover24

The only place within walking distance I could get was at Days Inn, not very nice looking but it's close.
I will give up a nice Hotel to be able to walk to everything, I will bring my own pillow and sleeping bag just in case!

Nothing wrong with the Days Inn. I agree, walking distance to the race site is a huge plus.

Lord willing and the creek don't rise, I hope to finish early enough to be able to eat some pizza, have a beer, go shower/change and then come back and cheer on the BOPers. If I happen to be one of those BOPers, then I turst you guys will save me a slice of pizza and a cold beer!

2013-10-24 7:46 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
Alabama
This thread is falling further down the list.....shirley there is something we need to discuss.

How goes your s/b/r? I don't want to call my s/b/r 'training' yet as I figure I'm focusing on dropping some weight and slowly building my base. I biked a few miles last Saturday and froze my arse off! I didn't think it was that cold out so just had my 'summer' gear on. But the 15 mph windshill of damp air was cold!

I'm curious if anyone on the hotel's waiting lists have been notified they got a room. I was on a waiting list for the Hampton but ended up getting a room at the Doubletree thru Hilton Honors.

Days are getting shorter.....it used to be dark when I hit the pool but light by the time I left. Now it's still dark when I leave the pool. I hate the short days of winter! I'm already looking forward to spring....and this is still fall.

Anyone do any snow skiing? We have a condo booked at Copper Mountain in December. Looking forward to some nice powder.....and burning up my quads for a few days.

Edited by Rogillio 2013-10-24 7:48 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Chattanooga : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 25

RELATED POSTS

Ford Ironman 70.3 California: Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10

Started by kwfire
Views: 30839 Posts: 235

2009-05-07 8:59 AM Project_A

Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 61351 Posts: 579

2009-06-24 2:09 PM ironlib

Ironman Louisville : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 77 78 79 80

Started by B-RAD 303
Views: 173555 Posts: 1998

2009-10-15 7:16 PM Tri Sam

Ironman Canada: Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12

Started by smorg
Views: 40590 Posts: 277

2009-10-01 7:20 AM LK2SKI
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 23, 2012
author : ytriguy
comments : 0
Often it makes sense to race slower in order to finish faster and at the same time have a more enjoyable Ironman Triathlon experience.

date : April 18, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
An unexpected upside of completing a full distance triathlon
date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race

date : February 23, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
I will be 20 this summer and am planning on doing Ironman Montreal. This will be my first year of triathlon, can I do this and stay away from injuries?
date : November 17, 2008
author : mrakes1
During the race there will be plenty of opportunities to exchange bottles, so I'm thinking about going with the aero bottle and Gatorade bottle and fill up as necessary. What should I do?

date : September 12, 2007
author : johnrunner
comments : 6
Race report on the Chattanooga Waterfront Tri - Beginners Point of View. This was my first Olympic length triathlon and also the first time I had done a race with cycling shoes instead of cages.
date : July 30, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
If a heart patient can do these things, then so can those of you who haven't been split open like a fish and sewn back together.

date : June 4, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
I was not an official; I simply observed the race and the officials doing their thing. Here is what I saw: