General Discussion Triathlon Talk » TrainerRoad w/o power/virtual power Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-10-29 8:05 AM

User image

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
Subject: TrainerRoad w/o power/virtual power
I've been trying to plan my winter cycling routine - I've read a lot about TrainerRoad (both alone and in conjunction with Sufferfest). I realize one of the super-cool things about TrainerRoad is the power/virtual power integration into training. However, I don't have a power meter and I'm not inclined to buy one of the speed/cadence sensors since I have different bikes that I pop on and off the trainer all winter (my road bike and my tri bike, depending on what I feel like working on). Anyway, I'm frugal and don't want to buy 2 sensors just to play through the winter.

So my question is - is there any value to using TrainerRoad with just HR? Or do I really need power/virtual power readings to make it a useful training tool?

Many thanks!

2013-10-29 8:17 AM
in reply to: enders_shadow

User image

Subject: RE: TrainerRoad w/o power/virtual power
if you buy the wahoo bluesc blutooth sensor for trainer road it comes with a rubber band thing you can use instead of zipties to secure it to the bike. It's pretty easy to pop on and off. Just a thought. the virtual power is pretty cool. I imagine you could do it with HR, but you have to be a dedicated person and work hard to keep the effort constant through the intervals. I'm bad at that, so the graphs are nice..
2013-10-29 8:32 AM
in reply to: enders_shadow

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
Subject: RE: TrainerRoad w/o power/virtual power
Do you mean that you have an Ant + usb receiver so that your computer can read your heart rate whilst your working out. If so, then you could use trainer road by just using your heart rate and training to Lactate Threshold Heart Rate percentages, calculated by trainer road.

If you don't have the usb stick and are just wanting to follow your HR on a watch and increasing/decreasing intensity according to a set plan, I would say that trainer road would not be worth your while in this case. There are lots of books out there that deal with that type of training with interval plans etc. IMHO you would be better off getting one of those. Trainer road ultimately relies on bio feedback, whether through heart rate, speed sensor or power meter to set training zones and plans.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » TrainerRoad w/o power/virtual power Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

virtual power for sufferfest

Started by jordanshadow
Views: 2360 Posts: 15

2013-05-17 7:23 PM jordanshadow

Power vs. HR on TrainerRoad

Started by japewang
Views: 2450 Posts: 10

2013-03-27 12:31 PM JC in Cinci

"Power" training without power meter?

Started by scott319
Views: 2409 Posts: 7

2011-07-12 3:09 PM gadzooks

Avg power for those with power meters? Pages: 1 2 3

Started by Oriondriver02
Views: 8052 Posts: 71

2011-04-09 8:52 PM GoFaster

Power Meter (Power Tap) Basics

Started by jamesehatcher
Views: 1957 Posts: 10

2007-10-24 11:33 AM yaqui
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 19, 2009
author : jasongootman
comments : 0
Learn how a power meter can serve a role as a race-reconnaissance tool and to help in pacing so you don't go out too hard. Race power analysis included.

date : March 4, 2009
In this third part, we discuss bike workout types and how they relate to power training. Power analysis of workouts included. Presented by Tri-Hard coaching and Fit Werx.
date : January 20, 2009
In this second part, we discuss indoor, outdoor and ramp functional threshold tests to determine your power training zones. Presented by Tri-Hard coaching and Fit Werx.

date : December 3, 2008
What is power training? In this first part, learn the terms and definitions associated with power training. Presented by Tri-Hard coaching and Fit Werx.
date : October 21, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 1
Training with a power meter will make sure that you are spending every minute on the bike effectively. Racing with a power meter will keep you humble and in your proper zones on race day.

date : April 1, 2008
author : sportfactory
comments : 1
How will a power meter help my cycling training and racing? A few questions and answers will help determine if a power meter will be good for you.
date : March 17, 2008
author : CPT
In this third segment, Colorado Premier Training goes through several bike position tests to improve on rider efficiency. This was accomplished by varying the saddle height and aerobar width.

date : December 3, 2007
author : CPT
comments : 5
Colorado Premier Training goes over the basics of what bike power training is and how it relates to your optimal bike position.