General Discussion Triathlon Talk » DNF handling Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2013-10-30 9:35 AM

User image

Subject: DNF handling
I had hoped my first post to this forum would have been about how I finished my first ever attempt at a 70.3 distance as part of my overall comeback, but instead I'm seeking help on how to handle a DNF at IM Miami 70.3 over the weekend (I just got home last night).

Quick background on the DNF (and I apologize for rehashing it). During the in-water start, the guy next to me started out doing the breaststroke, and I was (in hindsight) a little too close and his kick went out and caught me full force on the right side of my ribs. I didn't think anything too much of it at the time other than chalking it up to, yep, that's triathlon for you. Also in hindsight, I should have known something was up when my pace was way lower (even accounting for the non-wetsuit) and that I was continually having to sight more to the right because I was pulling left something fierce. The swim is my strongest leg and I can normally do the 1.2mi in around 39 - 41 minutes. I had a 53 minute swim. I got out of the water, ran to T1 but it felt like my entire right side was cramping. I chalked it up to I needed some salt and I probably didn't have enough nutrition before the water since my wave left almost an hour after the start. Helped a guy in T1 with a flat (all I did was give him a spare CO2 and a tire lever (I still had 2 more in my tail bag)), and then got onto the road. My T1 was a little slow, but under my max that I had allotted. I got out on my bike and for the first 10 miles I was actually doing better than plan. I felt great and I was weaving the streets ok and was ahead of pace. Then when we got out into the headwinds, I focused on getting down in the aero position when it all started to go wrong. I ended up having to pop back up in 10 seconds because it felt like my side was on fire. I kept having to go up and down. I knew we had a headwind, so I chalked it up to working harder, adjusted my gears and kept pushing - but it kept getting worse. At the first aid station, I got my water did my nutrition, but pulled over by the porta's and just tried to stretch out because I thought it was a cramp. One of the medics actually pulled over and asked if I was ok, and I told him it was a cramp and I was fine. I remounted and kept going. At mile 22, I had to pull off because I just couldn't breathe without pain and I couldn't get down in aero at all. When I dismounted, I blacked out and fell into the median. The next thing there are 3 police officers and a fire truck next to me and the medics tell me that I have at least one broken rib and that my day is over.

Ok, now to the question and the request for help... I am absolutely devastated. I have been training for this race since July of 2012. I have woken up every morning crying and I'm having a hard time especially now that I'm home facing the rest of my training partners and team mates. I feel like a failure and I'm questioning if I can do this or not. My coach keeps reminding me that I was trained and she had no doubt whatsoever that I would have finished. It was doubly hard to DNF because my coach was out there racing the same race and we travelled together (along with one of my other teammates). I just keep on with the second guessing and with the doubts and I'm just in such a funk I don't know what to do. I'm still doing IM AZ next year, but my confidence is not what it was (well, right now it's close to zero). My coach and friends keep reminding me of how far I've come since I started training, and I probably should be proud of that (I was coming off my 7th orthopedic surgery in 6 years, 2 pulmonary embolysims, and I've dropped 130 lbs since I started) - but right now all I can feel is failure.

So I'm asking for advice or suggestions on what others may have done if they had a DNF.
Help?

Thanks...

2013-10-30 9:42 AM
in reply to: moverby20

User image

Veteran
Panama City, FL
Subject: RE: DNF handling
You are being too hard on yourself first off. The best athletes in the world can't finish a race/game because of injury. Injury happens. Rest up, heal up, do some shorter events to get your confidence back and take care of business at IMAZ. Good luck and get well soon. You must be tough to go that far with a fractured rib as they tend to be very painful!
2013-10-30 9:55 AM
in reply to: taylorz13

User image

I'm tempted to have a(nother) rant about the selfishness of breaststrokers but let's keep this about you..

Try and put yourself in the position of a friend of yours who this has happened to - what would you think? what would you tell him to do?

You did the hard part - you've done the training and got yourself to the start line in shape. All you can take from this experience is that you're hard as nails and getting as far as you did with cracked bones takes guts and determination. That's something you can call on in the future when you think the race is a hard one.

Now you have to go into a new training programme - the one that gets you to your first day of training again in eight weeks. Treat it like a race day and prepare for it in its own way. You've got a physical and mental challenge to cope with.

You'll go through a process. You're upset now. You'll be angry soon. Then you'll have some other emotions and then you can start to rebuild.

You can't train now, so what can you do - you can focus on nutrition. Find the next race you want to do.

Cracked ribs heal well so you're "lucky" you've got an injury you will recover from simply and well. Find some positives.

Good luck!
2013-10-30 9:56 AM

User image

Melon Presser

Welcome to BT posting!

What amazes me about your story is your journey and all the hard work and incredible challenges and changes that have taken place. One race is one part of one day. What makes you awesome is the 99.9% of what you did beforehand to get you there.

I've trained for 8 iron races, made it to the starting line for 4, and I'm still Indonesia's most awesome aquabiker

Try to focus on the positive, which is that 99.9%. Also know how much you did FOR your coach. It's a job, but extremely few people are doing it 'cause they get rich--it's really rewarding to see your athletes grow.

Your feelings are totally legit. Accept them; it's okay to grieve, for lack of a better word. Also try to remember (this didn't necessarily make me feel better but it helped me deal with my feelings more) that dropping off of so much training (and after what you expected to be a climax--this can happen even if you finish a race well!) is kinda like heroin withdrawal. Injuries themselves can put you in a state of depression regardless of the circumstances. You're healing in many ways; it takes a lot of energy both in the strict biochemical and the airy-hippie-fairy sense.

I had busted ribs after bad crashes in a triathlon and after my IMNZ attempt (got through most of the bike and really feel where you were at when you pulled in to the aid station!) Be gentle with yourself--physically and in all ways.

2013-10-30 10:39 AM
in reply to: #4888087

I know how you feel, I've had to dnf from many races. Take what you can get from your experience and apply it next time. Take a break and refocus and go at the distance again, you'll be able to finish!
2013-10-30 10:48 AM
in reply to: Trigirl91

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

All you can do is your best on any given day, you did that. Accidents happen, DNF's happen, and life goes on. Pick yourself up, get back into your training, and give it another go. We'll all be rooting for you.

2013-10-30 11:03 AM

User image

Melbourne, Florida

There was nothing that you could have done about it. You trained, you did your hours in the water, on your bike, and on the road. There is no shame in that. In fact, you swam 1.2 miles with a broken rib.

You're amazing! 

Now it's time to heal, get back to 100%, and move on to the next race.

2013-10-30 11:07 AM

User image

Master
Livonia, MI

It's about the journey, not the destination.  Cliche, I know, but as one who has a tendency to beat myself after lackluster race performance, I've found that thought to be of comfort to me.  We spend so many hours training, so much blood, sweat and tears.  Having put so much time and effort into being prepared for this race, you've already won even before the race begins.  The race is one day.  Granted, it's not the day you'd pick to have circumstances working against you, but you have to let go of what you can't control.  Like other people's behavior and how that might affect your race.

Chin up.  You have all of this training and a very rough first HIM attempt under your belt.  A tough experience is often more valuable than an easy one.  You can't toss it all away!  Keep on keepin' on.

2013-10-30 11:07 AM

User image

Regular
I would agree with other posters that you are being to hard on yourself. I can definitely relate to you in 2009 I entered Boise 70.3 my first half at the start of the swim I got kicked in the face right on the nose. It knocked my goggles off and sent me spinning for a minute. I felt all right and continued the swim. I began feeling very light headed towards the end of the swim. It was not till I got out of the water that I noticed that I was bleeding. I became so dizzy running to my bike that I collapsed. That was the end of my race, turns out that I broke my nose. I was in the same situation as you I had been training for the past six months for this race. I had family and friends from out of town who came to see me and I was done. It took a while to get over it but like other posters have said you can't always control if you get injured. I would just set your sights on another race and begin to work towards it.
2013-10-30 11:10 AM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by moverby20 Ok, now to the question and the request for help... I am absolutely devastated. I have been training for this race since July of 2012. I have woken up every morning crying and I'm having a hard time especially now that I'm home facing the rest of my training partners and team mates. I feel like a failure and I'm questioning if I can do this or not. My coach keeps reminding me that I was trained and she had no doubt whatsoever that I would have finished. It was doubly hard to DNF because my coach was out there racing the same race and we travelled together (along with one of my other teammates). I just keep on with the second guessing and with the doubts and I'm just in such a funk I don't know what to do. I'm still doing IM AZ next year, but my confidence is not what it was (well, right now it's close to zero). My coach and friends keep reminding me of how far I've come since I started training, and I probably should be proud of that (I was coming off my 7th orthopedic surgery in 6 years, 2 pulmonary embolysims, and I've dropped 130 lbs since I started) - but right now all I can feel is failure. So I'm asking for advice or suggestions on what others may have done if they had a DNF. Help? Thanks...

you are taking this very hard - have you considered seeking professional help?  it's easy for someone outside to say "it's not that big of a deal, move on" but that doesn't make it any less of a big deal to you.  i've never had this reaction to a failure in triathlon, but have experienced it in response to failure with something completely out of my control.  a traumatic/stressful event can cause a very real depression.  the good news is - exercise is proven to be great for depression!  and you can talk it out and move on on your own time and terms.  just wanted to offer a different perspective, nobody seems to be addressing this very real concern of yours.

2013-10-30 11:16 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Well, we have a lot in common

First of all, I did Miami this weekend. Look at my race report and you will see that I have improved since my first HIM

Second, my first HIM was Florida 70.3 in 2009. With about 4 miles to go I lost consciousness and DNF'd. Long story short, I didn't eat/hydrate properly and I got severe hyponatremia and passed out

I worked like a mad man for that race. I was lucky. A buddy of mine also DNF'd so together we immediately signed up for Syracuse 4 months later. All summer I had the cloud of whether I would ever complete the distance or not.

I was devastated. And now after 10 HIMs, 3x qualified for WC, winning Muskoka 70.3 for my AG, everytime I race I remember that DNF. Every single race.

I am not saying these things to show what I did. I am saying it because you can do the exact same thing!!! Sometimes I wonder if that DNF was not a blessing in disguise. It drove me to want to do better and it made me not take for granted we have our limits and we have to live within them I'm not 22 anymore.

I was lucky, I had a buddy that DNF and we consoled each other and worked through to make the next one successful.
You have a virtual buddies here that can do the same

Oh yes,something else we have in common. I was also overweight by 70lbs, a couch potato and developed T2 diabetes which I carry with me today.

Don't give up !!!!

Edited by marcag 2013-10-30 11:18 AM

2013-10-30 11:17 AM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Extreme Veteran
Simple, LET IT GO!

Now I know that's easier said than done, but ask yourself this question. How would you feel right now if you DNF'ed because the Crank broke on you bike at mile 5 and you had to DNF. You body is no different than the bike. It is a piece of equipment in the race and a portion of it broke, which prevented you from finishing. It sounds to me like you gave it everything before being forced to stop by something that was out of your control and not your fault. This is not a mental weakness issue or a lack of trianing issue, it is a crappy hand you were dealt. The other thing to remember here is that you are not defined by the accomplishment of completing a Half or a Full, if you view the sport in such a fashion you may find little joy in it. To sum it up again, LET IT GO and MOVE ON or you will continue running into walls because your always looking back.

O' and welcome to BT.
2013-10-30 11:18 AM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Exton, PA
You are upset because you were so focused on that goal of finishing. In reality your success or failure was not about that race, it is about the journey you made to get there. Changing your life and becoming fit and in control. We are age groupers, our success is not race , it is the training we do. The races help us to stay focused and not give up.

You raced until you blacked out!!!!! WTF!!!! not too many people can push themselves that hard. You have nothing to be ashamed of, continue training sign up for another event. Most importantly stay away from the breaststrokers!
2013-10-30 11:35 AM
in reply to: noelle1230

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
Originally posted by noelle1230

It's about the journey, not the destination.  Cliche, I know, but as one who has a tendency to beat myself after lackluster race performance, I've found that thought to be of comfort to me.  We spend so many hours training, so much blood, sweat and tears.  Having put so much time and effort into being prepared for this race, you've already won even before the race begins.  The race is one day.  Granted, it's not the day you'd pick to have circumstances working against you, but you have to let go of what you can't control.  Like other people's behavior and how that might affect your race.

Chin up.  You have all of this training and a very rough first HIM attempt under your belt.  A tough experience is often more valuable than an easy one.  You can't toss it all away!  Keep on keepin' on.

This....Try to remember how much you enjoyed (provided you *did* enjoy) the training. The results of the race are not the important part - the journey getting to the race is the important part. Please don't let it define how you feel about yourself.

I also really liked the comparison of DNF'ing due to equipment failure...nothing you could have done could have prevented what happened...the only thing you can do is find a new goal (maybe an early spring HIM?) on your way to the full distance to give you focus and the chance for redemption. (Of course - after you have healed from this injury)

Best of luck - we are all rooting for you.
2013-10-30 11:37 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Dan-L

I'm tempted to have a(nother) rant about the selfishness of breaststrokers but let's keep this about you..

Try and put yourself in the position of a friend of yours who this has happened to - what would you think? what would you tell him to do?

You did the hard part - you've done the training and got yourself to the start line in shape. All you can take from this experience is that you're hard as nails and getting as far as you did with cracked bones takes guts and determination. That's something you can call on in the future when you think the race is a hard one.

Now you have to go into a new training programme - the one that gets you to your first day of training again in eight weeks. Treat it like a race day and prepare for it in its own way. You've got a physical and mental challenge to cope with.

You'll go through a process. You're upset now. You'll be angry soon. Then you'll have some other emotions and then you can start to rebuild.

You can't train now, so what can you do - you can focus on nutrition. Find the next race you want to do.

Cracked ribs heal well so you're "lucky" you've got an injury you will recover from simply and well. Find some positives.

Good luck!

I don't see it as a failure at all. Some M@$*f@#$KER kicked you in the ribs. Did that end your day? No way. you STILL SWAM 1.2 miles. Did you quit when you got out? No way. You got on your bike like a Bada$$ and you rode until you passed the f&*k out!

You got on your bike like a Bada$$ and you rode until you passed the f&*k out!

Let that sink in for a minute. Serious.

Keep that in your head. That is the way the rest of us see it.

I know it probably feels like you have failed and all of that training went down the drain...but let's face it, you fought adversity up until the point that it consumed you. That is why we do these races. Honestly, you have a better story than most people that cross the finish line.

That is my point of view. Take some time off. Grieve properly. feel bad about it. But once you make it through the grieving process get back into training and do the next one with vengeance.

Edited by lifejustice 2013-10-30 11:40 AM
2013-10-30 11:40 AM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Veteran
You had a broken rib which is intensely painful. Passing out is a vagal response that is an evolutionary process that is designed to keep us alive when the body detects some kind of trauma. The body shuts down...down you go...and the wounded can lie close to the ground so as to not do further damage or lose more blood. It could have saved your life for a broken rib can puncture a lung. There is nothing you could have done. It is the furthest thing from a failure. Now if you had gone out hard on the bike and blown up on the run...that is another story.

2013-10-30 11:44 AM

So I too DNFed a race due to injury, and it was my first race ever. I broke my collar bone, tore a ligament, and had to have surgery to repair it all. It sucked. It was hard on me, my wife, and my kids. What I did was follow doctors orders, came back stronger, and completed another tri a few months later. I also did not for one moment feel guilty or bad about DNFing, and neither should you!

I echo an earlier posters comment that you seem to be taking this particularly hard, and perhaps you could benefit from speaking to a professional. Are there other things going on in your life outside of tri that are taking a toll on you?

I remember when I had my accident I had a number of other things going on. A very close friend died a week after my surgery, I was in the process of changing jobs, we still had a relatively new child. I also had a difficult time being able separate all the emotions from one another: Pissed about my injury, pissed and sad about my buddy's death, happy about new job prospects, exhausted from kids. I had/have a very strong support network in the form of my spouse, and I hope you have strong support network as well.

If, however, you do not have a strong support network/and or your feelings continue, you really should talk with someone. There is no good reason to be in agony and there are a lot of places to look for help. In particular, I would be concerned over waking up every morning crying. If that is really happening and it continues to happen, it might be time to find some help in expressing/processing these emotions.

Best of luck!
Matt
2013-10-30 11:47 AM

User image

I am super sorry this happened to you.

You have got a lot of good advice here. I'll give you one other little strategy that might help. Be okay with being sad for a while. But set yourself a deadline. You did 2/3 of the race so you're due some recovery time anyway - plus you've got a broken rib which sucks. Only you can really say how much is enough time. Maybe 2 days - Maybe 2 weeks. Just guess and then let yourself recover. Use your recovery time to start planning for whatever you want to do next.

Good luck. Feel better.

In other news I have always given breastrokers a wide berth during the swim. After reading this thread I will be giving them even more space.
2013-10-30 11:47 AM

User image

Regular
Yeah, WAY too hard on yourself. I understand disappointment, but why would you have a hard time facing anybody because of an accident outside of your control? You feel like a failure because some other guy broke your rib? Even if you hadn't finished for other reasons, you'd be no different than thousands before you.

You swam 1.2 miles with a broken rib. That alone is an impressive accomplishment.

Heal up and kill the next one.
2013-10-30 11:51 AM

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Relax, it's just a race... 

Maybe that's easy for me to say, because it never happened to me, but I can IMAGINE it would be very disappointing to work for something to have it pulled away due to no fault of your own.

The closest thing I can relate to is training for months for my first tri to have the swim portion canceled.  After months, I wasn't even going to be a triathlete after the even.  I even teared up with frustration.

BUT, what do you take joy in?  The race or all the success and fitness you got from training?  You still have that.  Just sign up for another race.  I would look and say, yeah, I didn't get to finish the race (there will be more), but look at the weight I lost, the skills I gained, the fitness I worked for...  Wins...

ETA:  As a side note, I understand being frustrated with the person who kicked you, but no reason to bring yourself down with anger.  I'm sure they didn't mean it and there are NO rules against it.  It's something that happens.  Best to let it go and not harbor resentment.  Sort of why I pick my people I swim next to carefully and adjust my spacing.  I hang out on their toes and if they pull of even ONCE?  I find the next person to draft.

Edited by Kido 2013-10-30 11:54 AM
2013-10-30 11:58 AM
in reply to: lifejustice

User image

Pro

Originally posted by lifejustice
Originally posted by Dan-L I'm tempted to have a(nother) rant about the selfishness of breaststrokers but let's keep this about you.. Try and put yourself in the position of a friend of yours who this has happened to - what would you think? what would you tell him to do? You did the hard part - you've done the training and got yourself to the start line in shape. All you can take from this experience is that you're hard as nails and getting as far as you did with cracked bones takes guts and determination. That's something you can call on in the future when you think the race is a hard one. Now you have to go into a new training programme - the one that gets you to your first day of training again in eight weeks. Treat it like a race day and prepare for it in its own way. You've got a physical and mental challenge to cope with. You'll go through a process. You're upset now. You'll be angry soon. Then you'll have some other emotions and then you can start to rebuild. You can't train now, so what can you do - you can focus on nutrition. Find the next race you want to do. Cracked ribs heal well so you're "lucky" you've got an injury you will recover from simply and well. Find some positives. Good luck!
I don't see it as a failure at all. Some M@$*f@#$KER kicked you in the ribs. Did that end your day? No way. you STILL SWAM 1.2 miles. Did you quit when you got out? No way. You got on your bike like a Bada$$ and you rode until you passed the f&*k out! You got on your bike like a Bada$$ and you rode until you passed the f&*k out! You got on your bike like a Bada$$ and you rode until you passed the f&*k out! You got on your bike like a Bada$$ and you rode until you passed the f&*k out! You got on your bike like a Bada$$ and you rode until you passed the f&*k out! You got on your bike like a Bada$$ and you rode until you passed the f&*k out! Let that sink in for a minute. Serious. Keep that in your head. That is the way the rest of us see it. I know it probably feels like you have failed and all of that training went down the drain...but let's face it, you fought adversity up until the point that it consumed you. That is why we do these races. Honestly, you have a better story than most people that cross the finish line. That is my point of view. Take some time off. Grieve properly. feel bad about it. But once you make it through the grieving process get back into training and do the next one with vengeance.

This. 

Big hug. You RULE!

There will be many more races in the future

2013-10-30 11:59 AM

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
Originally posted by lifejustice

That there is some gold...
2013-10-30 12:09 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California

Classic!

Man, I am still in shock that you got a broken rib from a breastroke kick to the side, that sucks. I haven't experienced your challenge first hand, but my first thought is sign up for another HIM asap, get back to your training and knock that thing out next time. Your overall story is inspiring, hope you get back out there, good luck!
2013-10-30 12:12 PM
in reply to: ratherbeswimming

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

There is nothing more you could have done for that day, and I'm amazed at what you were able to accomplish with an injury that you had absolutely NO control over!  

Your feelings are absolutely valid, but you also need to give yourself a break.  What more could you have done?  I can tell you... no a single thing.  The fact that you continued to finish the swim, and then got on the bike and rode for MILES until you physically couldn't anymore is way above and beyond.  

Take solace in the fact that you were READY for this race and, as many others have said, there are some things on race day that are out of your control... this being one of them.  You now have a choice in how you handle this.  You can either decide to let this race bring you down, or you can decide to heal and come back for another race better than ever.  

I hope we can help steer you towards the second option.   

2013-10-30 12:16 PM

User image

Hey man, been there, done that.  Had an unforeseen medical issue on the swim at IMAZ, my first IM.  Pulled from the water a mile in.   I was there with a big group of friends, all of us racing.  None of them knew what had happened to me until after the race, some not until the next morning.  I was humiliated, ashamed, embarrassed, didn't want to talk to them, etc.   And yes, lots of crying and a bit of depression.  I was told by a good friend that the race is actually an emotional outlet for all of the training we'd put in.  Of course, none of my friends judged me as harshly as I did myself, they just wanted me to be OK.

In the end, my body told me that day was not a day I'd be doing my first IM.   I didn't have a choice in the matter, I didn't quit.  But I couldn't go on (i tried, you can check my race report for all the gory details).  Over the next few days I decided to register for the November IMAZ (this was the year it was held in April and Nov).  Community fund, trained all summer, went back and finished.

My only advice is to let time pass, and the pain will go away, I promise it will.  You will learn from it.  Use it at the next race. 

good luck

ETA - let me just add, having now scrolled through the postings....   With all due respect to those saying you are taking it too hard, it's just a race, seek professional help, yes, that is true, it is just a race.  To them.  However (and I also topped out at 275, and just raced Miami 70.3 at 190), I am not sure those folks have yet suffered a DNF at their first go at a distance that our "old selves" never though possible.  THis is a big deal for guys like us.  I don't think you are taking it too ahrd, I think you are taking it the right amount.  Anyway, that's just my .02.  Hang in there

Edited by ChrisM 2013-10-30 12:23 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » DNF handling Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

TT bike handling vs. road bike handling

Started by odpaul7
Views: 4683 Posts: 19

2012-11-19 4:39 PM morey000

To DNF or not to DNF...that is the question Pages: 1 2

Started by triturn
Views: 3036 Posts: 37

2008-04-01 8:35 AM pshorty

Should I Intentionally DNF a HIM ?? Pages: 1 2

Started by OldAg92
Views: 2039 Posts: 36

2005-09-29 8:35 PM Steve-

Bogus DNF

Started by Rough Rider
Views: 930 Posts: 10

2005-06-07 2:24 AM Rough Rider

DNF :( Pages: 1 2

Started by joscon
Views: 2013 Posts: 32

2005-06-05 5:00 PM mlaugustine
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 7, 2011
author : Kyle Pawlaczyk
comments : 3
Clearing my head after failing to finish

date : February 5, 2010
author : jswayland
comments : 7
On the day of the race my chain jumped off again and got wrapped so tightly around my crank that I couldn’t finish. I DNF'ed my first triathlon.
date : September 3, 2005
author : joeinco
comments : 6
As a triathlete, there is one acronym that you just can’t fathom ever having next to your name in a race report – DNF: DID NOT FINISH.

date : February 28, 2005
author : Don Magie
comments : 0
Whether your bike is new, new to you, or you have not been on the bike for a long time, you really should spend some time thinking about how your bike fits you.
date : January 24, 2005
author : BrianPBN
comments : 0
As every veteran athlete can attest, a non-existent or ill planned ‘race meal plan’ will leave you falling far short of your goals or even worse, in the medical tent.