Other Resources My Cup of Joe » The Biggest Loser - October 2013 - Discussion: There will be spoilers! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2014-01-23 1:16 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL
Subject: RE: The Biggest Loser - October 2013 - Discussion: There will be spoilers!

2014-01-23 1:20 PM
in reply to: crowny2

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Subject: RE: The Biggest Loser - October 2013 - Discussion: There will be spoilers!

That makes a lot more sense. I hope it isn't a suffer-fest for them and they continue to enjoy triathlon as a way to train.

2014-01-23 4:32 PM
in reply to: crowny2

User image

Pennsylvania

Yes, that sounds more reasonable.  Perhaps the site I found the link from didn't pull the 1/2 over because otherwise the wording is exactly the same.

2014-01-28 6:16 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Champion
Calgary
This triathlon is going to be laughable. Bobby can hardly walk! A lot of them are having trouble walking. That green chick is going to destroy everyone. Did you see her run up the bobsled course, no one was even close. This is just silly. Like did you see those people trying to walk in their fancy clothes. Ridiculous. I have no idea what Bobby has done, but that looks like lasting damage. Actually is Bobby still on, I can't remember who is up. Oh I just checked, he is still on.

Now watch there be a massive upset. Someone crashes on the bike.

Don't get me wrong, I think a triathlon can be a great challenge and far safer than a marathon. But I agree, no background on the training they have done. Have these people even been on a bike. What are their bikes going to be? And the swimming. Swimming half a mile is tough tough tough. I wager only 3 make it out of the water.
2014-01-29 8:29 AM
in reply to: BigDH

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
Interesting episode last night. I have to be honest, I am a little jealous they all got custom Pearl Izumi Kits, Roka Wetsuits and Trek Bikes. I knew that Rachel was going to win, it was not even close. I thought she had a very decent time for the sprint and came out of the water in under 9 minutes which is pretty fast IMO. I did have a feeling that they were going to add triathlons to the Biggest Loser Run/Walk series and looks like I was right because Allison said to look for a triathlon near you.

I like the 3 finalists and I am pulling for David.
2014-01-29 9:55 AM
in reply to: KSH

User image

Veteran
Waterloo, IL

Kind of disappointed in the triathlon.  I had hoped that David could finish a little closer.  I knew everybody would fall behind on the swim, but the gap just got bigger from there. 

Glad to see Bobby stuck with it and completed the swim, even with his anxiety. 

2014-01-29 11:32 AM
in reply to: Gmax101098

User image

Champion
Calgary
I just watched the triathlon. I was impressed everyone made it out of the water. And 9 minutes for a 600 meter open water swim, that is good. They must have had some practice. Even though Rachel killed it, they made the race interesting by having a full on sprint to the water. Funny. Not sure if David has a firm grasp of reality if he really thought he was a better runner than Rachel.
2014-01-29 11:51 AM

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

The swim was a half mile, not 600 by the way.  They MUST have had some open water practice with the wet suits!    If not, they have have an above average ability as a group to do their first OWS. 

I am just glad I think I could have beat Rachel on the overall time    I am tired of hearing how proud she is over herself...  I am skeptical about Rachel's ability to win, she is still a very long way from 50% weight loss.  My money is on David.

I liked Marie and I am so impressed with her "after."   I hope she kicks butt in the at home prize.

2014-01-30 8:50 AM
in reply to: BikerGrrrl

User image

Extreme Veteran
Media, PA
No surprise in that outcome; too bad they couldn't handicap the race based on some other test. You had a former state-level swimmer vs someone who seemed to know how to swim well enough to not drown.

I couldn't tell what kind of bikes (beyond Trek) they almost looked like CX bikes. In one shot they looked like cantilever CX style brakes. The terrain certainly was appropriate for it.
2014-01-30 1:21 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pennsylvania

Yup, the outcome was a no-brainer with Rachel winning by a long shot, and why not?  She has the advantage of a strong swim and athletic background partnered with being the contestant hauling around the least extra weight 'baggage'.  I flinched when I saw dear Bobby struggling and struggling with the swim, so huge kudos for him to complete the swim and the race!  It was disappointing that there were no position changes during any point of the race.  How they went in the water is how they finished.  Of course I was disappointed they didn't show more of the bike portion or even a better idea of terrain.  The finale should be interesting.

Edited by melbo55 2014-01-30 1:21 PM
2014-02-04 10:15 PM
in reply to: #4889319

User image

Extreme Veteran
Media, PA
Just watched the finale, and the twitterverse is exploding with comments about Rachel being "too thin" looking unhealthy.

With all due respect to eating disorders, I don't think she looked "unhealthy". I think it was just that the TV audience saw the transformation. I doubt she would have been considered underweight if they didn't see the "before" version.

2014-02-04 11:54 PM
in reply to: tcj103

User image

Veteran
Columbus, OH
I think she looked thin, and I know by BMI she is "underweight" but when I'm at my preferred weight I skirt the underweight line. It's not a reliable metric for individuals. I also think that people calling her anorexic is being disrespectful to people who actually suffer from anorexia. With all that said though, it's not surprising to me since society is becoming so skewed as to what is "thin" or "normal" or "overweight". /sigh
2014-02-05 2:37 AM
in reply to: csikes

User image

Elite

I didn't think she was too skinny, but I was shocked at how skinny she was. I mean she was regular person tiny. Not tiny for a BL contestant that lost a lot of weight. She crushed it 59.6% loss...is that like the record?

And Toomey... she killed it. Holy Cow... she destroyed all the other at home contestants. As usually they all did really well. Some still big, but still had great results...certainly a big step in the right direction.

You know, all types deserve to have a chance... but when you line up in your season against a young former athlete... I mean nobody has a chance. Youth wins for burning fat and working hard, and former training wins the head battle of knowing you can train hard. It's almost unfair. You have to find a way to get rid of them at the start or you never will.

She did great.

2014-02-05 7:14 AM
in reply to: tcj103

Master
Memphis, TN
Originally posted by tcj103

Just watched the finale, and the twitterverse is exploding with comments about Rachel being "too thin" looking unhealthy.

With all due respect to eating disorders, I don't think she looked "unhealthy". I think it was just that the TV audience saw the transformation. I doubt she would have been considered underweight if they didn't see the "before" version.

I don't know. She was really thin on the Kate Moss end of the spectrum. Her legs were extremely thin. I know the show shouldn't step in and attempt to affect the outcome but it went from really big to Allie McBeal skinny. It can be seen as this is the new style again. Not just thin but ultra thin is in.

As the father of two daughters I hope the anorexic look is not the future.

I think we could say it's not a big deal for someone like Kiera Knigltly who has always been VERY thin. This girl, I can't remember her name since I didn't watch the entire season, isn't in that same situation.

The men in the finale looked good and very healthy. I just cringed when she came out. I hope she stays healthy in all seriousness.
2014-02-05 11:20 AM
in reply to: Jtiger

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

While I thought Rachel was too thin for my taste, I can appreciate the arguments of how the BMI scale is not for everyone, etc.  I do think that the weight of 105 for a 5'4'' individual is very clearly very thin.  It was going to be hard for her to lose the requisite amount for a winner, so she obviously went to extremes to do it. 

What worried ME the most was how she looked and behaved.  She was a bit dopey and she tripped up the stairs.  There was an article on our local news (where she's from) about her workout routine including 3 spin classes a day and working out 4-6 hours a day.  They did emphasize that she had "healthy smoothies and lean protein to fuel herself".  Obviously she wasn't fueling herself enough, but I'm glad she wasn't entirely starving.  That level of overexercising and dedication to calorie counting is not normal behavior, even for a contest.  If it were, we would see everyone in contention for the at home prize.  This girl clearly has some kind of disordered eating problem: she was too heavy before, also a problem, and she admitted to medicating with food.  I really hope she seeks the advice of a real medical professional on how to go back to normal life, normal eating and normal exercising. 

My guess is that she will either gain it all back or continue in this crazy direction and end up with a medical problem (or death).  I hope she ends up finding an equilibrium at a healthy weight and dedication to fitness/food, and I will gladly eat my words.

2014-02-05 11:27 AM

User image

Veteran
Kansas
I was pretty shocked as well - I reminded myself from past seasons, that most of the finalest end up adding another 10-15-20 pounds from their finale weigh-in. National audience and 250K on the line will help motivate you to drop more than you normally would to try and win. Even Jillian looked bowled over ... She seems average to above average in height, so doesn't really matter how you cut it, 105 is thin ... and as a former athlete/swimmer probably well below what she was when she was at her most fit. I think it looked most dramatic in her face and is probably where some of the more derrogatory remarks are stemming from. Hopefully, after the win, she will level out a bit higher than 105 and have a long, healthy and active life ahead of her.

2014-02-05 11:33 AM

User image

Champion
Calgary
Haters are going to hate right. She looked skinnier than any other contestant, her arms and legs, truly unbelievable. She is tiny. You know, maybe she is just a tiny person. And, obviously, she starved herself and dehydrated herself in the last week. But besides that, I mean once she drinks in the 5 litres of water she is down and fills her body back up with glucose she is going to put on 10 pounds easy.

What I don't get is her arms. It seems to me just about all the winners, even though they look good in the face and general body, there arms are always hanging this disgusting amount of fatty looking skin. Rachel seemed to have none of this. I don't quite understand that.

I will also add, although she obviously does not have the muscular development, her body type seems very close to say Chrissie Wellington or Ellie Greenwood. I mean super skinny women, but very very powerful.
2014-02-05 11:40 AM

User image

Originally posted by tcj103 Just watched the finale, and the twitterverse is exploding with comments about Rachel being "too thin" looking unhealthy. With all due respect to eating disorders, I don't think she looked "unhealthy". I think it was just that the TV audience saw the transformation. I doubt she would have been considered underweight if they didn't see the "before" version.

I would have considered her underweight (i stopped watching BL a while back but someone mentioned this so I tuned in for the last bit).  She looked awful and unhealthy.  the look on jillian's face was priceless, and I don't think she was gasping in a good way

Edited by ChrisM 2014-02-05 11:41 AM
2014-02-05 11:45 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

I did not watch the finale, but after all of the hype went googling for photos.

I think she looks... good? She looks like an athlete here. Looks like a lot of US here BTers. How many of us go to great lengths to get to "race weight" and work out for hours on end, what most of the world would call "unhealthy"? And many of us coming from an overweight/"tri'ing for weightloss" background. Just my opinion, but some of us need to take a look in the mirror. 

2014-02-05 12:02 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Originally posted by lisac957

I did not watch the finale, but after all of the hype went googling for photos.

I think she looks... good? She looks like an athlete here. Looks like a lot of US here BTers. How many of us go to great lengths to get to "race weight" and work out for hours on end, what most of the world would call "unhealthy"? And many of us coming from an overweight/"tri'ing for weightloss" background. Just my opinion, but some of us need to take a look in the mirror. 

IMO, the video made her look worse.

2014-02-05 12:19 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Just my 0.02.  I didn't watch the season this time but saw the finale was on so recorded it to see the final results.  I didn't watch it but suddenly caught all the controversy about the "too thin" on the interwebz.

Honestly, I guess that's what you get with your 15 minutes of fame.  Can't win for trying.

Seems there is a VERY small window for "perfection".  Most of the contestants that I saw?  I was telling myself they could still lose 20-30 (even while I was sitting on the couch and could lose 20-30 myself).  Then this girl kills it, and suddenly she lost too much?  Man, can't win.  Put a TdF cylist up there and they would be "too thin"  A ballet dancer, same.  Even though they are studs athletically.

MEANWHILE, I'm guessing most of the comments are not coming from health professionals and from obese couch potatoes that watch this for entertainment.

Oh, BTW!!!  Anyone see Dallas Buyer's Club?  So Matt get's basically anorexic for a movie role and he get's awards (along with his costar).  This girl does it for health (and yeah, 250k) but get's criticized...  Interesting world we live in, no?

2014-02-05 12:57 PM

User image

Originally posted by Kido

Just my 0.02.  I didn't watch the season this time but saw the finale was on so recorded it to see the final results.  I didn't watch it but suddenly caught all the controversy about the "too thin" on the interwebz.

Honestly, I guess that's what you get with your 15 minutes of fame.  Can't win for trying.

Seems there is a VERY small window for "perfection".  Most of the contestants that I saw?  I was telling myself they could still lose 20-30 (even while I was sitting on the couch and could lose 20-30 myself).  Then this girl kills it, and suddenly she lost too much?  Man, can't win.  Put a TdF cylist up there and they would be "too thin"  A ballet dancer, same.  Even though they are studs athletically.

MEANWHILE, I'm guessing most of the comments are not coming from health professionals and from obese couch potatoes that watch this for entertainment.

Oh, BTW!!!  Anyone see Dallas Buyer's Club?  So Matt get's basically anorexic for a movie role and he get's awards (along with his costar).  This girl does it for health (and yeah, 250k) but get's criticized...  Interesting world we live in, no?

Ha, I don't think TdF riders and ballerinas (or CW, if you've read her book and her struggles with anorexia) are the best comparisons to make here......  or maybe they are.....

\

But I do like the insult that those that think she is too skinny are all obese couch potatoes.   Seriously?

Edited by ChrisM 2014-02-05 1:19 PM
2014-02-05 1:37 PM

User image

NC
If I did it correctly, I looked up her swim times on USA Swimming. If I have the right person (Rachel Frederickson, MN, 2005-2008), she was a serious swimmer with several AAAA and AAA swims. That's not playing around. She was a pretty serious athlete. So, I don't think it would be very surprising that, with the right amount of will, she sheds a ton of fat and gets back in athlete mode. Her legs look pretty strong to me. That is to say, I don't think she necessarily had to go to any unhealthy ends to get where she ended up.

Edited by Goosedog 2014-02-05 2:03 PM
2014-02-05 1:50 PM
in reply to: Goosedog

User image

Veteran
Kansas
Nearly all the contestants after the finale go up a bit (some more than others) and a few months from now when they show her during the next season of the show, she will probably look great and no controversy will exist. This simply was the most extreme transformation to date on 14 seasons of the show, so don't be surprised with the mixed reaction.
2014-02-05 4:54 PM
in reply to: cjkelly0729

User image

Extreme Veteran
Media, PA
This is the only social media area I can find where it isn't 99% in the "too thin" camp.

I haven't seen any publications about how she lost the weight after leaving the ranch. They're calling her anorexic, but how do they know she wasn't swimming 8000 yds per day, and still eating 2000 to 3000 calories per day, with a balance of protein, carbs, and fats?

I think they would call Chrissy Wellington "too thin" if they thought Rachel was too thin.

To me, if she was popping caffeine pills and ex lax, without exercise, then we have a problem. But that info hasn't been disclosed.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » The Biggest Loser - October 2013 - Discussion: There will be spoilers! Rss Feed  

of 5

RELATED POSTS

Biggest Loser 11/17 - Spoilers! Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by moondawg14
Views: 4658 Posts: 94

2009-11-26 11:50 PM tjh

Biggest Loser 11/10 - Spoilers! Pages: 1 2 3

Started by rnner66
Views: 2882 Posts: 53

2009-11-17 2:50 AM SpottedCow

Biggest Loser 11-3 SPOILER ALERT Pages: 1 2

Started by dodgersmom
Views: 2325 Posts: 34

2009-11-09 9:51 AM Magnum27

Biggest Loser Finale - SPOILERS Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by lisac957
Views: 5183 Posts: 93

2009-05-15 10:50 AM mellymedic

Biggest Loser 11/26/08 SPOILERS

Started by Fatdoggy
Views: 1146 Posts: 11

2008-11-26 5:25 PM Spokes
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 27, 2011
author : pyroman1_1
comments : 3
Lake Havasu Tri 3/19/2011

date : May 26, 2011
author : gdsemiller
comments : 14
Towards the end of December 2010 both my daughter and son came up to me and said “Daddy we want you to get healthy and not die."
date : March 4, 2009
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 20
Many people have been asking my opinion of this popular show, so I feel obliged to scream out: It's terrible! It’s horrible! It's abusive! I also feel like throwing my shoe at the TV.

date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.
date : January 7, 2007
author : KevinKonczak
comments : 0
Discussions on swimming, observing, asking questions, flip-turns, flexible ankles, rotation, Stretch Cordz, skiing substitution and resting.

date : April 2, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
Discussions on muscular endurance training, transitioning between distances, big hill training and bricks.
date : January 1, 2006
author : browncd
comments : 1
Trials on getting a bike that fits while also being reliable

date : May 16, 2005
author : AMSSM
Discussions on base training, intensity training, peaking and tapering, racing and competition and recovery and restoration.