General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Full Vineman 2014 Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 13

2014-01-12 2:03 PM
in reply to: Lock_N_Load

User image

Regular
SF Bay area
Subject: RE: Full Vineman 2014 Triathlon : Official Thread

Jose, below is the elevation map from my run of the 70.3 last year.  The full is basically the same course, just two laps.

So the hills are not big per se, but there is actually very little that is flat - so you are constantly on an uphill or downhill which does have a significant cumulative effect.  If you are looking for training terrain, I'd look for the rolling hills and run a lot of them, not really worrying about any long sustained climbs. 

Just for fun, I looked back at the elevation profile for my first marathon, the Big Sur International.  This was the worst of both worlds - big hills and never ending rollers.  Not the best choice for a rookie's debut!

2014-01-12 10:47 PM
in reply to: TTom

User image

Thanks Tom. Definitely looks like a course that would grind on you. Luckily it looks like what I run in here in Utah every day, so I should be ready. BTW, Big Sur must have been an awesome experience. Definitely a bucket list race.
2014-01-13 5:02 PM

User image

Expert
Littleton, Colorado

I did the Full Vineman last year, and of course they were running Barb's Race (the women's half) at the same time.  It's actually not exactly the same course x2.  For the half, they did 2 laps, while for the full, we did 3 longer laps.  The bigger hills are past where the half course turns around.

There was one hill that was pretty much un-runable, or at least not worth the toll it would take on the rest of your run to try to maintain a run going up the short climb.  Plan to powerwalk it, use it for refueling or giving your gait a switch-up, whatever works for you, and save that energy for the other 98% of the course.  I don't think I saw anyone who was on a second or third lap actually running it (and you can tell based off the bracelets they give you at the end of each lap).

2014-01-13 9:32 PM
in reply to: swgtri

User image

Regular
SF Bay area

Originally posted by swgtri

I did the Full Vineman last year, and of course they were running Barb's Race (the women's half) at the same time.  It's actually not exactly the same course x2.  For the half, they did 2 laps, while for the full, we did 3 longer laps.  The bigger hills are past where the half course turns around.

There was one hill that was pretty much un-runable, or at least not worth the toll it would take on the rest of your run to try to maintain a run going up the short climb.  Plan to powerwalk it, use it for refueling or giving your gait a switch-up, whatever works for you, and save that energy for the other 98% of the course.  I don't think I saw anyone who was on a second or third lap actually running it (and you can tell based off the bracelets they give you at the end of each lap).

Shannon, thanks for the voice of experience!  When I went back and looked at the two run courses (full vs 70.3) there is a significant difference between the two.  Sadly, it appears as though the full does not get to run through the grounds of the LaCrema winery as that was a nice change of pace - and the flattest part of the run course.  I went to the race site and pulled up the following to give a more accurate depiction of what is in store for us and here's what it looks like:

I think Shannon's comment's about the one hill is pretty well demonstrated by this graphic, no?

2014-01-13 10:09 PM

User image

Expert
Salem
I too did the Full Vineman Last Year. The flattest parts of the race are from the run start to the first aide station and from approx. the mile before and after the first turnaround. Minor elevation change at the turn around but very run able. I wore my Garmin 305 and had it set at 6 min run 1 min walk intervals. If I was to do this race again I would not use the Garmin, and would stick to a normal watch such as a ironman Timex watch. I would suggest that you walk the hills run the downhills and run the flats. I actually walked the first half lap as my right outside of my foot was very sore from the bike. I had to work it out and finally got to a point where I could run. I did not even count how many miles or look at the mile markers. I just knew I had three lap and focused on that. I actually did notice the mile markers until I was approximately 3 miles from the finish. I completed the run in 6:06. I walked a lot.

Plenty of fruit - grapes, peaches, bananas drinks - gatorade, cola, and water as well as gels. For me the grapes, ice and peaches really hit the spot. I traded the cola and gatorade each aide station.

It was a great race and well supported. Enjoy the journey.
2014-01-14 3:05 PM
in reply to: TriGuyBri

User image

Originally posted by TriGuyBri

I too did the Full Vineman Last Year. The flattest parts of the race are from the run start to the first aide station and from approx. the mile before and after the first turnaround. Minor elevation change at the turn around but very run able. I wore my Garmin 305 and had it set at 6 min run 1 min walk intervals. If I was to do this race again I would not use the Garmin, and would stick to a normal watch such as a ironman Timex watch. I would suggest that you walk the hills run the downhills and run the flats. I actually walked the first half lap as my right outside of my foot was very sore from the bike. I had to work it out and finally got to a point where I could run. I did not even count how many miles or look at the mile markers. I just knew I had three lap and focused on that. I actually did notice the mile markers until I was approximately 3 miles from the finish. I completed the run in 6:06. I walked a lot.

Plenty of fruit - grapes, peaches, bananas drinks - gatorade, cola, and water as well as gels. For me the grapes, ice and peaches really hit the spot. I traded the cola and gatorade each aide station.

It was a great race and well supported. Enjoy the journey.

Did they have hot soup at the run aid stations or at the finish?

2014-01-14 3:42 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by TTom

Aaaah that's more like what it felt like

LockNLoad, NO SOUP at the run aid stations. My only complaint on the run.

Edited by lisac957 2014-01-14 3:43 PM
2014-01-15 12:47 AM

User image

Expert
Salem
As was mentioned no soup on the run but plenty after. It was very good. Not broth either. Big noodles and plenty of chicken. The grilled chicken or what looked like grilled chicken was great and the pasta salad really hit the spot after all the sweet gels and fruit on the run.
2014-01-31 4:09 PM
in reply to: TriGuyBri

User image

Any of you guys down there in the Guerneville area? How low is the river looking? The news about the drought in California is freaking me out. I'm praying for rain.
2014-01-31 7:09 PM

User image

Regular
SF Bay area

Jose, I think we should be OK.  I had similar concerns so contacted the coach who wrote my plan.  He lives up there (his sister is on the race org team) and says that if the authorities release any water at all, the dam right below the starting line will allow it to fill enough to let us swim.  He did say that the only possible impact is that the lower flow may result in a higher water temp, and it only has to go up 5-8 degrees to make wet suits not legal.

2014-01-31 9:55 PM

User image

Jose, I think we should be OK.  I had similar concerns so contacted the coach who wrote my plan.  He lives up there (his sister is on the race org team) and says that if the authorities release any water at all, the dam right below the starting line will allow it to fill enough to let us swim.  He did say that the only possible impact is that the lower flow may result in a higher water temp, and it only has to go up 5-8 degrees to make wet suits not legal.

Thanks Tom. This is good news. I have been tracking the status of the drought and it is unreal how dry some parts of California are getting. I was actually mulling over doing the swim without a wetsuit anyway. This may be the extra push I need to get me to seriously keep working on my swim fitness/confidence. Hope your training is going well.

2014-01-31 10:44 PM

User image

Regular
SF Bay area

I ended up going with the training plan from the same coach who did the 70.3 plan last year as I really liked the structure and the results I got by doing it.  So I've spent the last couple of days modifying the spreadsheet to move my off day to a Saturday (gotta get my golf in!) and to put it into a format I can upload into my BT training log.  I've got a couple of outstanding questions I'm clarifying with the coach before I finalize that and pull the trigger on the upload.  It'll be really nice to be able to access it on BT and track plan against actuals, see it on my phone, etc.

With all this plan work, this race is now becoming real.  I mean really real!  As in "Wow, this is a lot of training I'm signing up for!"  Looking at my peak workout days of 6-6.5 hours is kind of daunting, but I remember when I looked at the hours in my 70.3 plan it felt the same.  I'm hoping I can manage as well here.  Now the challenge is to structure the weeks between the today and the plan start to make sure I'm at the right level and ready to go. 

The obsessing has officially begun.  How are things with everyone else?

2014-02-01 12:57 AM

User image

Tom, sounds like you are ready to go. When I was training for my first Full last year my longest day was almost 8 hours. People like us are a bit sick, truly. I'm changing my approach this year by starting early and by following the Maffetone Method of heart rate based training for the Prep and Base phases. So far I am loving this approach. I am also putting a plan together which focuses a lot more on bike fitness. The part where I am pretty clueless is race nutrition. I have tried to dial it in but it's a struggle. Love being full into the training mode for 140.6.
2014-02-01 9:11 PM

User image

Regular
SF Bay area

Jose, I've been a fan of Maffetone for years.  When training for my 3rd marathon I first integrated his methodology and ended up with a 24 minute PR and a significant negative split.  I've been using it thus far for my base training and have already seen some good results, so will be continuing down that path for another 5 or 6 weeks at least.  It seems to me that as important as it was for the marathon training, it would be even more effective used for IM training.

IM nutrition is new to me, so I can't give you a lot of guidance there.  Thus far I've done quite a bit of reading up on it and have a lot of disparate data bouncing around inside my skull along with the beginning of the outline of a plan.  So what am I thinking?  I really like using Infinit on the bike and used it exclusively in my HIM.  For that, I got a custom mix with the weakest possible flavor content and mixed up 6 scoops in a single bottle. That bottle got me through the bike really well but I was craving something solid and salty so had a Mojo peanut butter pretzel bar in the last 10 miles.  This combination worked great and got me into the run feeling good.  So my current thinking is to mix up two bottles of the concentrated mix (one on the downtube, one behind the saddle) with water in the aerobottle between the bars.  Am going to experiment with bars during training to see what I like best and take a couple of them (right now Paydays are sounding pretty good!).  May also throw some pretzels or some such in the jersey pocket.  The run seems to be pretty well stocked with gels, cookies, chips, pretzels, fruit, cola and Gatorade Endurance.  They are using Clif Shot gels and I'm trying those out right now (and like them a lot) to see if I can just survive off the course.  I may strap on a belt to carry a bottle of water as I found in the marathons if I had it available at all times I hydrated better than if I just used the aid stations.  But I fully intend to walk through the aid stations on the IM, so may be easier to make sure I get enough H20 from there.  I expect these ideas to move around and morph into alternatives a few times between now and then, but that's part of the fun, no?

2014-02-03 2:54 PM

User image

I used Hammer Perpetuem in my IM last year and it didn't workout so hot. I don't know if I took too much (I probably took 7 scoops of the stuff) or if I took too little. I think I needed to supplant the Perpetuem with salt tablets and more electrolytes. Salt/electrolyte tablets and Coke saved my run and allowed me to finish so I'm thinking I was missing sodium and carbs on the bike. The Perpetuem has some protein in it but I think it is severely lacking on the electrolyte content. It was really hard to put anything solid down in the later stages of the bike and on the run so I'm going to try to find a good combination for fluid nutrition on the bike. I will have to look into Infinit and see if that maybe works better for me.

Sounds like the nutrition on the course for the run should be more than sufficient. So, I will probably rely on that for the run.
2014-02-03 6:25 PM

User image

Regular
SF Bay area

Jose, I'd really recommend you check out the Infinit product (http://www.infinitnutrition.us/) as you can adjust how much you want in the way of electrolytes, protein, carbs, caffeine, calories to suit your needs.  I'd suggest you call them for the free consult as I thought they did a really good job of trying to understand my needs and formulate a mix for me (I actually have 2, one standard for shorter training rides and then the concentrate/low flavor mix I use 6 scoops in a bottle for longer rides).

X

2014-02-04 12:00 PM

User image

Plaistow, New Hampshire
1.Your first name? Jill
2.How long have you been doing triathlons (of any distance)? This is my first year
3.What number of "140.6" or "Iron-Distance" race is this for you? 1st one!
4.At registration time, what's your finish goal? Before they close the course. My idea finish goal is under 15 hours, but I will have to see how my shorter races go this spring.

I've got a couple of shorter distance triathlons lined up before Vineman, but this race is my big goal for the year. I'm excited for the training and the racing! I'm sure I will have a lot of questions as a newbie.
2014-02-04 3:42 PM

User image

Jose, I'd really recommend you check out the Infinit product (http://www.infinitnutrition.us/) as you can adjust how much you want in the way of electrolytes, protein, carbs, caffeine, calories to suit your needs.  I'd suggest you call them for the free consult as I thought they did a really good job of trying to understand my needs and formulate a mix for me (I actually have 2, one standard for shorter training rides and then the concentrate/low flavor mix I use 6 scoops in a bottle for longer rides).

X

Thanks Tom. The sound of a customized endurance drink sounds like what I need. I'll check them out.
2014-02-04 11:59 PM
in reply to: JMart

User image

Regular
SF Bay area
Hey Jill - welcome aboard! This will be an incredible journey for all of us. Speaking of journeys, I see from your profile you are from New Hampshire. Vineman is a lonnnng way from home and I'm curious why you selected it as your race?
2014-02-05 7:57 AM

User image

Plaistow, New Hampshire
Hi Tom. I have a friend in Los Angeles who has done Vineman before. They had a deal on pairs entries too, so it seemed like a good choice. The course is supposed to beautiful, it brings a good amount of athletes without being huge, and it doesn't cost the $700 that many of the IM-distance triathlons do. Having a good friend there who knows the ropes was a major incentive.

Also, it's a great opportunity for a much-needed vacation!
2014-02-05 1:50 PM

User image

Originally posted by JMart

Hi Tom. I have a friend in Los Angeles who has done Vineman before. They had a deal on pairs entries too, so it seemed like a good choice. The course is supposed to beautiful, it brings a good amount of athletes without being huge, and it doesn't cost the $700 that many of the IM-distance triathlons do. Having a good friend there who knows the ropes was a major incentive.

Also, it's a great opportunity for a much-needed vacation!

All great reasons! I actually think Vineman could be one of the best values in triathlon. I'll find out come July. Good luck in your training and racing Jill.

2014-02-05 5:11 PM

User image

Regular
SF Bay area

Jill, Jose nailed it - a LOT of good reasons!  I hope you are ready for some great riding and running through vineyards that will be hanging heavy with grapes at race time.  That'll just whet your appetite for the wine tasting the day after the race - a great source of refueling a body that gave it's all for you .

2014-02-05 6:45 PM

User image

Regular
SF Bay area

Thought I'd take a minute and produce a summary of who has joined the thread to date along with a link to their profile.  Let me know if I miss anyone!

Tom TTom
 Jose Lock_N_Load
 Josh jcagwin
 Rita ritakandel
 Kevin krees1
 Brian BMiller71
 Jill JMart

2014-02-05 9:31 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Salem
You don't actually get to run through Vineyards just by them. ; )

Edited by TriGuyBri 2014-02-05 9:31 PM
2014-02-06 10:02 PM
in reply to: #4892436

User image

I am getting excited and nervous. What is your official start date for your IM training? Mine start is Monday. Yikes! I have so many thoughts and questions... I feel a bit obsessed with the IM right now. Have any of your tried carbo pro? Are any of you planning on liquid only for nutrition on race day? A multi IM'er suggested I go liquid only. Nutrition after 6 hours is a complete unknown to me. I have been reading post race reports (and blogs) trying to get better prepared. However, nutrition is all over the place. Are any
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Full Vineman 2014 Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 13

RELATED POSTS

Full Vineman Triathlon : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29

Started by lisac957
Views: 52000 Posts: 708

2013-10-07 2:39 PM TTom

Full Vineman Triathlon : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10

Started by jmkizer
Views: 30718 Posts: 240

2012-10-19 11:59 AM rpoulter

Vineman Full Ironman : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18

Started by ironjim
Views: 38660 Posts: 449

2011-11-19 6:52 AM jmkizer

Vineman Full Ironman : Official Thread Pages: 1 2 3

Started by velasqu7
Views: 12557 Posts: 61

2010-08-02 11:56 PM AbbieR

Vineman Full Ironman : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9

Started by chile7473
Views: 24344 Posts: 224

2009-12-13 9:03 PM Focker
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 17, 2008
author : mikericci
comments : 1
This program is a beginner plan to bridge you from an a Half Ironman to Ironman using a HRM with the confidence that you can complete the race without difficulty.

date : November 20, 2007
comments : 0
Executing this full Ironman plan for 17 weeks would give people with one Ironman under their belts very good preparation for a 2nd and 3rd. Preferably, you should have a 6:30 or faster HIM time.
date : July 10, 2007
author : Ontherun
Having three seasons under my belt I thought I knew what I was doing. That all changed with a few new challenges and a bunch of new friends.

date : July 30, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
If a heart patient can do these things, then so can those of you who haven't been split open like a fish and sewn back together.
date : June 4, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
I was not an official; I simply observed the race and the officials doing their thing. Here is what I saw:

date : October 26, 2005
This Intermediate 20 week plan is a quick ramp up in overall volume, but with 20 weeks to train only, it is a gradual and safe approach because of the alternating weeks of the long run/bike.
date : April 3, 2005
author : sherrick
comments : 19
This training plan is written to prepare you for your first Ironman. While just a beginner’s plan, the hours per week start at a significant 8 hours.

date : September 26, 2004
author : Team BT
comments : 3
Pain shows us how strong we are. After last weekend I am convinced of this. After 151 training hours of swimming, biking, and running, I flew to Sonoma County, California for the race.