General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Full Vineman 2014 Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 13

2013-11-04 10:30 PM

User image

Regular
SF Bay area
Subject: Full Vineman 2014 Triathlon : Official Thread

Registration is OPEN, so who's in? Shamelessly stealing Lisa's opening from last year's Vineman, let's start with a little information!

1. Your first name?
  2. How long have you been doing triathlons (of any distance)?
  3. What number of "140.6" or "Iron-Distance" race is this for you?
  4. At registration time, what's your finish goal?
  5. Any words of wisdom about this race specifically or this distance in general?

Edited by TTom 2013-11-04 10:43 PM

2013-11-04 10:36 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
SF Bay area
Subject: RE: Full Vineman 2014 Triathlon : Official Thread
  1. Your first name? Tom
  2. How long have you been doing triathlons (of any distance)? 2 years
  3. What number of "140.6" or "Iron-Distance" race is this for you? This will be my first!
  4. At registration time, what's your finish goal? 13 hours (subject to change as training progresses!)
  5. Any words of wisdom about this race specifically or this distance in general? I raced the 70.3 on this course in 2013, so do have some course knowledge I will be willing to share with the group.

OK - Who's next?

Edited by TTom 2013-11-04 10:43 PM
2013-11-05 6:50 PM
in reply to: TTom

User image

1.Your first name?Jose
2.How long have you been doing triathlons (of any distance)? 2.5 yrs.
3.What number of "140.6" or "Iron-Distance" race is this for you? 2
4.At registration time, what's your finish goal? 13:30 (although I'd be happy with anything under 14)
5.Any words of wisdom about this race specifically or this distance in general? Practice your nutrition. Not cool when you bonk with 13 miles to go on the run (personal experience). In my view bike fitness is more important than run fitness. If you are beat to hell after the bike then it doesn't really matter how many 20-mile runs you put in training.

Very excited to do Vineman 2014. thanks for starting the thread Tom!
2013-11-05 7:25 PM
in reply to: Lock_N_Load

User image

Regular
SF Bay area

Hey Jose!  Glad you joined in, I'll be picking your more experienced brain as we go through this adventure.

2013-11-05 8:37 PM

User image

Expert
Salem
Lucky you guys. Report came out that a few sections on Westside and Eastside Road were paved recently. Very rough roads otherwise. Enjoy the journey.
2013-11-05 11:03 PM
in reply to: TriGuyBri

User image

Originally posted by TriGuyBri

Lucky you guys. Report came out that a few sections on Westside and Eastside Road were paved recently. Very rough roads otherwise. Enjoy the journey.

I read that. I can definitely do without the obstacle course that you guys described in your race reports.

2013-11-06 9:53 AM

User image

Regular
SF Bay area

Brian - that's great news.  I didn't ride Eastside in the HIM, but that Westside road sure did have some long stretched of butt-busting bumpiness!  We could have make a killing on launched bottles, no?  I'm close enough that I'll be riding the course a few times before the race, so will check it out and see how much better it is!

2013-11-08 2:49 PM

User image

Originally posted by TTom

Brian - that's great news.  I didn't ride Eastside in the HIM, but that Westside road sure did have some long stretched of butt-busting bumpiness!  We could have make a killing on launched bottles, no?  I'm close enough that I'll be riding the course a few times before the race, so will check it out and see how much better it is!

Tom, when you ride it let me know if you think it's still bumpy enough that you need those cages for the water bottle that you had recommended earlier. Hopefully the whole thing is silky smooth...
2013-11-08 3:12 PM

User image

Expert
Salem
The only thing I lost was my Electrolyte pill box after pulling it out of my Bento Box. All my bottles remained on board My handle bars did shift down after hitting a bump pretty hard on a downhill. Pulled them back up and used a hex wrench I had to tighten them up. I think it is a matter of making sure everything is tightened up.
2013-11-08 3:22 PM

User image

Originally posted by TriGuyBri

The only thing I lost was my Electrolyte pill box after pulling it out of my Bento Box. All my bottles remained on board My handle bars did shift down after hitting a bump pretty hard on a downhill. Pulled them back up and used a hex wrench I had to tighten them up. I think it is a matter of making sure everything is tightened up.

Brian, that must have been quite a bump. Note to self: make sure I have my bike tools with me on the course. How would you say was the support at the finish line? Lots of food, blankets, volunteers, etc? How's the finish line experience for the full?
2013-11-08 11:42 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Salem
I finished in 14:56 and still plenty of people around cheering you in. I actually thought the night time finish was pretty cool. Running down the last stretch right before the turn into the school also was pretty cool. Especially if you are by yourself. They even held the finish line banner up for you when you cross the line and take some great pics. There was plenty of food and still very hot. I had grilled chicken breast and some pasta salad. It tasted oh so good. Then I grabbed a cup of hot chicken noodle soup. We are not talking broth either. No blankets. I actually carried two hex wrenches with me in my bento box.

It was a down hill section right after the Bike special needs. I hit it pretty hard and my bar just dropped downward; Fortunately I didn't flat. I had new tires on. I was riding on my hoods at the time. I just held on until the bottom an pulled over and pulled them up using my aero bars. At the next station I stopped and tightened them up.

Edited by TriGuyBri 2013-11-08 11:46 PM

2013-11-27 11:27 AM

User image

1.Your first name?

Josh

2.How long have you been doing triathlons (of any distance)?

8months

3.What number of "140.6" or "Iron-Distance" race is this for you?

4.At registration time, what's your finish goal?

Not sure yet.
2013-11-27 2:33 PM
in reply to: jcagwin

User image

Regular
SF Bay area

Hey Josh - welcome to the thread! 

2013-11-29 5:00 PM

User image

Regular
SF Bay area

How's your offseason training going?  I was off to a good start and feeling pretty good about it until 2 weeks ago when I got hit with tonsillitis which makes breathing in the cold air not so much fun, so it made me take a few days off until the antibiotics kicked in.  Just about that time, I got a really bad chest cold that knocked me on my butt.  At the end of the day, a two week unanticipated break from everything.  The only good news is that it is offseason, so I didn't feel like I had a ton of pressure to push through.  Got back into the pool for the first time today for an easy 1k swim and it went better than I had thought it would.  Then this afternoon did a 5 mile run which felt fine but my HR ran 15-20 bpm higher than it had been before.  I'm thinking the congestion in the lungs isn't quite cleared up and I'm not getting in as much oxygen as I'm used to.  Eh, I'll think of it as high altitude training.

2013-11-29 9:53 PM

User image

How's your offseason training going?  I was off to a good start and feeling pretty good about it until 2 weeks ago when I got hit with tonsillitis which makes breathing in the cold air not so much fun, so it made me take a few days off until the antibiotics kicked in.  Just about that time, I got a really bad chest cold that knocked me on my butt.  At the end of the day, a two week unanticipated break from everything.  The only good news is that it is offseason, so I didn't feel like I had a ton of pressure to push through.  Got back into the pool for the first time today for an easy 1k swim and it went better than I had thought it would.  Then this afternoon did a 5 mile run which felt fine but my HR ran 15-20 bpm higher than it had been before.  I'm thinking the congestion in the lungs isn't quite cleared up and I'm not getting in as much oxygen as I'm used to.  Eh, I'll think of it as high altitude training.

Sounds like a bad case of the Fall Gunk. Fall and Spring are horrible when it comes to illnesses. I haven't been hit yet but it's only a matter of time. Hope you get back to 100% soon. My training has been about half of what I usually do and after the Thanksgiving gluttony I have put on a solid four pounds. I'll start freaking out if I put on more than five. It's been nice to take it easy but I hope I don't get too used to it. Just to make me feel like I am back in business I am doing a two-hour brick at easy pace tomorrow AM. We'll see...
2013-12-05 6:49 PM

User image

Okay, not officially signed up yet. I hope to before the end of the month.

1. first name? Rita
2.How long have you been doing triathlons (of any distance)? 5 years
3.What number of "140.6" or "Iron-Distance" race is this for you? This will be my first
4.At registration time, what's your finish goal? Just finish!
5.Any words of wisdom about this race specifically or this distance in general? Enjoy the journey!

2013-12-05 7:47 PM
in reply to: ritakandel

User image

Regular
SF Bay area

Rita - Great to have you join the party!  Won't be long before we all kick off official training.  I'm still debating on plans but am leaning towards getting the one from Vineman written by Dave LaTourette.  I used his for the 70.3 last year and far exceeded my hopes in terms of time, so I'm kinda thinking "why change horses in the middle of the race?"  What are you all using?

2013-12-05 8:28 PM

User image

Rita - Great to have you join the party!  Won't be long before we all kick off official training.  I'm still debating on plans but am leaning towards getting the one from Vineman written by Dave LaTourette.  I used his for the 70.3 last year and far exceeded my hopes in terms of time, so I'm kinda thinking "why change horses in the middle of the race?"  What are you all using?

I am planning on using the Triathlete - Europe.com training program. It has the right amount of time investment for me and not too aggressive. My main goal is to finish, my goal is to hopefully finish in the 14 ish hour mark.
2014-01-10 1:46 AM

1.Your first name? Kevin
3.What number of "140.6" or "Iron-Distance" race is this for you? 2nd
4.At registration time, what's your finish goal? I'd love to break 11 hours 12 minutes, my debut time.
5.Any words of wisdom about this race specifically or this distance in general? I found bricks to be my most important workouts even if it was just running 1 mile after a long bike ride.

I'm looking to sign up with someone else to get the buy one get one half off deal. Any takers?
2014-01-10 9:47 AM
in reply to: krees1

User image

Originally posted by krees1

1.Your first name? Kevin
3.What number of "140.6" or "Iron-Distance" race is this for you? 2nd
4.At registration time, what's your finish goal? I'd love to break 11 hours 12 minutes, my debut time.
5.Any words of wisdom about this race specifically or this distance in general? I found bricks to be my most important workouts even if it was just running 1 mile after a long bike ride.

I'm looking to sign up with someone else to get the buy one get one half off deal. Any takers?

Hi Kevin,

I signed up with someone from BT. There is a thread "Vineman 2014- Looking for someone to sign up for the Buddy Deal"
by Lisa Yung in the CA forum. She signed up with someone too, but I believe she had someone else interested in addition. You may want to contact her to see if she has any contacts for you. Good Luck!

Rita
2014-01-10 1:39 PM
in reply to: ritakandel

User image

Regular
Roseville, CA
I am in !

1.Your first name? Brian
2.How long have you been doing triathlons (of any distance)? About 3 years, but its been on and off
3.What number of "140.6" or "Iron-Distance" race is this for you? Fiirst. I did Oceanside 70.3 last year
4.At registration time, what's your finish goal? 13 hours right now
5.Any words of wisdom about this race specifically or this distance in general? I happened to be staying right by the run course over the holidays so I drove the run course. The run has some bigger hills than I expected!

2014-01-10 2:21 PM
in reply to: BMiller71

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by BMiller71

I happened to be staying right by the run course over the holidays so I drove the run course. The run has some bigger hills than I expected!

I raced last year and was surprised at how EXPONENTIALLY harder the hills were than I imagined. Of course, I come from flat Kansas so take that with a grain of salt

Happy training! Such a fun race!

2014-01-11 4:43 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Originally posted by lisac957

I happened to be staying right by the run course over the holidays so I drove the run course. The run has some bigger hills than I expected!

I raced last year and was surprised at how EXPONENTIALLY harder the hills were than I imagined. Of course, I come from flat Kansas so take that with a grain of salt

Happy training! Such a fun race!

You guys are freaking me out. What grades are we talking about on those hills?
2014-01-11 8:46 PM
in reply to: #4892436

User image

Regular
Roseville, CA
I am not sure about the grade, maybe 7% for a bit. The good news the big hill is fairly short. The rest is rolling hills. I bet if you look on strava you can find the details.
2014-01-11 11:43 PM
in reply to: BMiller71

User image

I am not sure about the grade, maybe 7% for a bit. The good news the big hill is fairly short. The rest is rolling hills. I bet if you look on strava you can find the details.

Thanks. I'll have to look for that elevation profile. Adding hills to the training...
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Full Vineman 2014 Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 13

RELATED POSTS

Full Vineman Triathlon : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29

Started by lisac957
Views: 51848 Posts: 708

2013-10-07 2:39 PM TTom

Full Vineman Triathlon : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10

Started by jmkizer
Views: 30616 Posts: 240

2012-10-19 11:59 AM rpoulter

Vineman Full Ironman : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18

Started by ironjim
Views: 38547 Posts: 449

2011-11-19 6:52 AM jmkizer

Vineman Full Ironman : Official Thread Pages: 1 2 3

Started by velasqu7
Views: 12512 Posts: 61

2010-08-02 11:56 PM AbbieR

Vineman Full Ironman : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9

Started by chile7473
Views: 24242 Posts: 224

2009-12-13 9:03 PM Focker
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 17, 2008
author : mikericci
comments : 1
This program is a beginner plan to bridge you from an a Half Ironman to Ironman using a HRM with the confidence that you can complete the race without difficulty.

date : November 20, 2007
comments : 0
Executing this full Ironman plan for 17 weeks would give people with one Ironman under their belts very good preparation for a 2nd and 3rd. Preferably, you should have a 6:30 or faster HIM time.
date : July 10, 2007
author : Ontherun
Having three seasons under my belt I thought I knew what I was doing. That all changed with a few new challenges and a bunch of new friends.

date : July 30, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
If a heart patient can do these things, then so can those of you who haven't been split open like a fish and sewn back together.
date : June 4, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
I was not an official; I simply observed the race and the officials doing their thing. Here is what I saw:

date : October 26, 2005
This Intermediate 20 week plan is a quick ramp up in overall volume, but with 20 weeks to train only, it is a gradual and safe approach because of the alternating weeks of the long run/bike.
date : April 3, 2005
author : sherrick
comments : 19
This training plan is written to prepare you for your first Ironman. While just a beginner’s plan, the hours per week start at a significant 8 hours.

date : September 26, 2004
author : Team BT
comments : 3
Pain shows us how strong we are. After last weekend I am convinced of this. After 151 training hours of swimming, biking, and running, I flew to Sonoma County, California for the race.