General Discussion Triathlon Talk » For those of us who missed the NBC Ironman Kona coverage today... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2013-11-17 9:34 PM
in reply to: trijamie

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: For those of us who missed the NBC Ironman Kona coverage today...
Originally posted by trijamieDoes anyone know exactly what a "wild card" is?? Is it the same as the Kona Lottery system? I want to know how this celebrity chef clown, Gordon Ramsey got to compete in the most coveted race of all time. He certainly didn't qualify. Do I smell the WTC giving away slots to celebrities to gain exposure??
I don't recall where I read or watched an interview with Ramsey but he was actually quite humble when he understood the criticism of not qualifying bit he eluded to the fact that he bought a charity spot..As a side note I was approached by a local tri coaching company if I wanted a Kona spot but I had to raise like 25-35 k......so I would not be suprised if he just threw his money down

2013-11-17 9:46 PM

User image

Originally posted by trijamie Does anyone know exactly what a "wild card" is?? Is it the same as the Kona Lottery system? I want to know how this celebrity chef clown, Gordon Ramsey got to compete in the most coveted race of all time. He certainly didn't qualify. Do I smell the WTC giving away slots to celebrities to gain exposure??

Celebs have been going to Kona for years.

2013-11-18 12:59 AM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Originally posted by ChrisM

Originally posted by trijamie Does anyone know exactly what a "wild card" is?? Is it the same as the Kona Lottery system? I want to know how this celebrity chef clown, Gordon Ramsey got to compete in the most coveted race of all time. He certainly didn't qualify. Do I smell the WTC giving away slots to celebrities to gain exposure??

Celebs have been going to Kona for years.

Yup...nothing new. WTC, in conjunction with NBC, give away slots for the sole purpose of gaining exposure, and they don't try to hide it. They are given different numbers than the normal AG athletes...even those who got in through the lottery.
2013-11-18 7:22 AM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia
Originally posted by trijamie

Does anyone know exactly what a "wild card" is?? Is it the same as the Kona Lottery system? I want to know how this celebrity chef clown, Gordon Ramsey got to compete in the most coveted race of all time. He certainly didn't qualify. Do I smell the WTC giving away slots to celebrities to gain exposure??

Absolutely it is for exposure. Ramsay and Hines Ward bring an awareness to the sport many times over what all the pro's combined bring. I think they both had very respectable races. David Beckham is scheduled to race next year. Google Gordon Ramsay and you get nearly 31 million hits. VanLierde the pro winner gets you 229k hits. So that is well over 100x the popularity in relation to the general public.
2013-11-18 7:44 AM
in reply to: Dominion

User image

New user
If celebrity exposure for IM gets general public's butts off their couch, more power to em'
2013-11-18 10:46 AM
in reply to: Tmanishere

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

I tuned in expecting to be disappointed and my expectations were met.

And I'll go ahead and say it... I would have preferred some more info on the pros or maybe a segment on what it takes to prepare, rather than a 15 minute recap of Sandy Hook. Thanks for that NBC.  

2013-11-18 10:50 AM
in reply to: Aarondb4

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by Aarondb4

And I'll go ahead and say it... I would have preferred some more info on the pros or maybe a segment on what it takes to prepare, rather than a 15 minute recap of Sandy Hook. Thanks for that NBC.  

plenty of blogs, youtube videos, and interviews to read for that
2013-11-18 11:01 AM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

See my post on page 1.  The broadcast isn't just for those of us who are fans of the sport.  It's for a much wider audience.  They put together the broadcast that they feel will have the widest market appeal.  It's not intended to provide detailed race coverage.

2013-11-18 11:34 AM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

I enjoyed the telecast and even the recap of the father of the Sandy Hook victim. I did my first 140.6 this year and it reminded me of all thje time I had to think on the ride, and I am sure he was thinking of his little girl and family this race. So I enjoyed seeing him race and the "reason" behind the race of why it was important for him to finish.

2013-11-18 11:55 AM
in reply to: kskonkol

User image

St Catharines, Ontario
"if it's hurting me, it's killing them"

2013-11-18 12:00 PM
in reply to: jford2309

User image

Sensei
Sin City

I sort of watch it as "my duty" as a triathlete but thank goodness for DVR.  It used to be more entertaining/exciting in the past.  Maybe it was shown as more of a real sporting event?  Now it's fluff pieces that take up 50% of the time, if not more. 

2013-11-18 12:10 PM
in reply to: Kido

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by Kido

I sort of watch it as "my duty" as a triathlete but thank goodness for DVR.  It used to be more entertaining/exciting in the past.  Maybe it was shown as more of a real sporting event?  Now it's fluff pieces that take up 50% of the time, if not more. 

I agree, when I watch a sport, I want to watch THE SPORT, and I want to watch the pros play the sport.

No offense to all of the age groupers out there, but if I want to watch a bunch of age groupers racing I will just look around next time I race. After the race I can talk to them about their families, life struggles, and other such things. In a nationally televised sporting event, it should be 90% about the pros.

2013-11-18 12:15 PM
in reply to: erinrockrun

User image

I get the sense I'm in the overwhelming minority here, but I actually like some of what they do tracking the amateur athletes. Last year's broadcast felt like it was almost entirely devoted to the pros, which I didn't enjoy as much as other years where there they presented some of the amateur athlete stories.
2013-11-18 12:28 PM
in reply to: cgillin

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Originally posted by cgillin I get the sense I'm in the overwhelming minority here, but I actually like some of what they do tracking the amateur athletes. Last year's broadcast felt like it was almost entirely devoted to the pros, which I didn't enjoy as much as other years where there they presented some of the amateur athlete stories.

I don't mind following them on the course.  Some of the best stuff is seeing them deal with things on the course.  Watching the people struggle to get to the finish by midnight is some of the best drama of the show.  I guess I'm talking about is what seems like 10-15 minute spots that don't show any racing and just talk about back stories.

2013-11-18 12:53 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
what they should really do is what versus does with the TdF - show a short recap after for the masses but during the day (when everyone is at work) show as much as possible in real time on some channel that people don't even know they have because they never watch.

Of course, that makes for an awfully long broadcast. Think of all the GoPro commericals they could run!

Edited by mtnbikerchk 2013-11-18 12:53 PM
2013-11-18 1:03 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

The Ironman Live broadcast takes care of this already. You can watch it online, commercial free, and rewind the video if you missed something. It's still up on the website, as well as all the other IM races that had full day coverage.

2013-11-18 1:05 PM
in reply to: dmiller5

Originally posted by dmiller5

I agree, when I watch a sport, I want to watch THE SPORT, and I want to watch the pros play the sport.

No offense to all of the age groupers out there, but if I want to watch a bunch of age groupers racing I will just look around next time I race. After the race I can talk to them about their families, life struggles, and other such things. In a nationally televised sporting event, it should be 90% about the pros.

By "should be", you mean "I would personally prefer it that way". Do you think the TV ratings would be better or worse if it focused on the pros actually racing, and very little on the celebs and human interest? I think you know the answer and that's all NBC cares about. Why would they choose lower ratings and less money?
2013-11-18 1:17 PM
in reply to: RollTideTri

User image

Originally posted by RollTideTri

Originally posted by dmiller5

By "should be", you mean "I would personally prefer it that way". Do you think the TV ratings would be better or worse if it focused on the pros actually racing, and very little on the celebs and human interest? I think you know the answer and that's all NBC cares about. Why would they choose lower ratings and less money?

Agree. I stopped watching The Biggest Loser when the show was no longer about losing weight and more like every other reality show out there. It would be my personal preference if they changed the show back to more my liking...but I'm sure NBC is doing just fine with ratings without me tuning in.
2013-11-18 1:42 PM
in reply to: Quigley

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by Quigley I didn't watch and don't really pay attention (as in, I have no idea who won or who the pros even are) but there was an awful lot of complaining going on in the locker room yesterday morning about the dang personal interest stories and cutting away from the female pros during key moments. It was then that I remembered I was going to try to watch it.

I'd agree with this.

I remember one of the years Chrissie won and they kept referring to her current run speed and would compare it to an "average" runner. Like one mile up a hill she had SLOWED to a 5:45 pace or something. I think they could have incorporated more of that type of stuff while not losing the "non-tri" viewer... but instead I was left wondering how Rinny made up all that time! It was like "Oh she is 8 minutes behind, but catching up" - "Now she's in the lead" - "Oh look she won" all strewn together.

I thought the Sandy Hook segment was about 14 minutes too long. 

I enjoyed the Hines Ward stuff and seeing his learning curve.

2013-11-18 1:45 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Pro

So....unlike every other sporting event that is on TV, for Ironman World Championship we have to be fed 30-40% human interest stories in order to make it interesting enough to be on TV in the first place?  I think that's crap.  Concentrate on the race, and the people who are racing to win the race.  If you need to cut away for some human interest drama then find some with one of the stars of the race.  If triathlon is going to ever be considered anything but a novelty, then it deserves better coverage to the masses then the complete dog and pony show that NBC puts out year after year.

And yeah, I know where to find the live feed if I feel like watching it, and I know how to work a dvr.....what's the point?  I already think triathlon is a serious sport and great to be involved in on many levels.  NBC treats it like a carnival act.

2013-11-18 1:48 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by Left Brain

So....unlike every other sporting event that is on TV, for Ironman World Championship we have to be fed 30-40% human interest stories in order to make it interesting enough to be on TV in the first place?  I think that's crap.  Concentrate on the race, and the people who are racing to win the race.  If you need to cut away for some human interest drama then find some with one of the stars of the race.  If triathlon is going to ever be considered anything but a novelty, then it deserves better coverage to the masses then the complete dog and pony show that NBC puts out year after year.

And yeah, I know where to find the live feed if I feel like watching it, and I know how to work a dvr.....what's the point?  I already think triathlon is a serious sport and great to be involved in on many levels.  NBC treats it like a carnival act.

This.

2013-11-18 1:57 PM

User image

Originally posted by Jason N

Well....somewhere there's a viewership #...........we'll see. 

It didn't appear they were able to sell much advertising, except for GoPro which was already on board.  Not a strong showing at all.

Because none of the big products want to pay for advertising when everyone else is watching football. They tried to move the coverage up (and extend it) last year due to the anticipation that Lance would race. I have no clue why they are still trying to compete during the prime of college football season.

I agree I think it would be viewed a by more people if not competing with football, But So when do you show it?
2013-11-18 1:59 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Yes...the Ironman coverage on NBC is very much a carnival act. It does not put ultimate focus on the pro race. It was not designed for you, and likely there is no point for you to watch it. Life will go on.

ETA: It's not in NBC's best interest to promote triathlon or Ironman as they do other sports like football where the top pros get 99% of the attention. NBC has no vested interest in triathlon other than Kona once a year and the Olympics. I suppose the WTC could threaten NBC that they need to focus on more pro coverage or not renew their TV contract...but why on earth would they do that. The average man is the most important customer to the WTC. Pros do not drive the sport...the average joe (who makes more than $150k /pink) is who drives the sport. Ironman could go on even if pros never existed.

Edited by Jason N 2013-11-18 2:06 PM
2013-11-18 2:01 PM
in reply to: johndiaz00

User image

Originally posted by johndiaz00

Well....somewhere there's a viewership #...........we'll see. 

It didn't appear they were able to sell much advertising, except for GoPro which was already on board.  Not a strong showing at all.

Because none of the big products want to pay for advertising when everyone else is watching football. They tried to move the coverage up (and extend it) last year due to the anticipation that Lance would race. I have no clue why they are still trying to compete during the prime of college football season.

I agree I think it would be viewed a by more people if not competing with football, But So when do you show it?

It used to be the second Saturday in December. The week after conference championship games and the week before bowl games start.
2013-11-18 2:09 PM

User image

Pro

Yes...the Ironman coverage on NBC is very much a carnival act. It does not put ultimate focus on the pro race. It was not designed for you, and likely there is no point for you to watch it. Life will go on.

Your kidding me, right?  I thought if I watched it I would die.

So, go ahead and tell me who the show is for, and what it does to push triathlon toward mainstream consciousness.  In fact, tell me what the NBC coverage of what is billed as the World Championship does for our sport at all?  Does NBC cover the last place foursome at the Masters?  Maybe go on and on about how one of them lost a kid and how remarkable it is that he was able to show up and finish in the lower half of the competitors.  Maybe show the kids name over and over written in golfballs on a green somewhere......that'd be cool, huh?

It's a race.  In fact, it's the World Championhsip at an epic distance.  Show the pros, let the public get to know them and what it takes to actually compete at that level.  Hell, I'd venture a guess that the majority of people who do triathlon and actually watched the show couldn't name 10% of the pros.  I guess that's good too.  Instead, the public gets garbage so that their general perception of triathlon is that show and the person at work who does triathlon and won't shut up about it......great.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » For those of us who missed the NBC Ironman Kona coverage today... Rss Feed  

of 5

RELATED POSTS

NBC Kona Coverage on Youtube

Started by xatefrogg
Views: 1063 Posts: 1

2012-10-31 9:24 AM xatefrogg

Reduced Kona 2011 Coverage on NBC Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by TheClaaaw
Views: 12548 Posts: 104

2011-12-12 2:49 PM LostSheep

2011 Ironman Kona Television Coverage Pages: 1 2

Started by m2tx
Views: 13910 Posts: 31

2011-10-06 5:31 AM audiojan

Ironman Kona on NBC?

Started by mrbigheado
Views: 2017 Posts: 8

2009-10-01 7:10 PM titeloops

Missed NBC coverage of Hawaii

Started by popit
Views: 1549 Posts: 11

2006-12-14 7:25 PM ChineseDemocracy
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 26, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
Highlights of Beginner Triathlete Members at the Ironman World Championships

date : October 7, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 1
A look at Beginner Triathlete members racing in Kona from qualifying to training to family.
date : November 12, 2010
author : Coach AJ
Four Kona athletes give us their race stories.

date : October 20, 2010
We interview several age-groupers pre-race on their Ironman Kona race thoughts.
date : September 26, 2009
comments : 2
New products from Prologo, Lake, Avia, Orbea, Ceepo, Jamis, Zipp, Profile, Scott and Specialized.

date : October 17, 2004
author : BrianPBN
Well the day is finally here. I don't believe a single workout has gone by in these past 9 years where the idea of being at the start line of the Ironman Hawaii didn't creep into my head.
date : October 10, 2004
So far the taper is feeling good and I'm getting that itchy feeling to race. I know this will grow even stronger when I get to the island and see my friends and PBN Team members.  

date : October 3, 2004
Definitely glad this weekend is out of the way as 145 miles of cycling and 27 miles of running in two days is a fair amount.