General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri-ing for Children's Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Tri-ing for Children's Sprint Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Memomonee Falls , Wisconsin
United States
Tri-ing for Children’s
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 34m 19s
Overall Rank = 215/333
Age Group = Clydesdale
Age Group Rank = 7/13
Pre-race routine:

Let me start out by mentioning that I have been waiting for this day for about 2 years. I started in triathlons two years ago, got hooked and worked real hard to be ready for last years season. In April of 2005 started having chest pains and discovered I had blood clots in both lungs coming from my leg which had a clot I never knew about. There went my 2005 season along with a diagnosis from a doctor who said triathlons just might not be wise due to the serious nature of these clots (many people die with clots in their lungs). With further direction from other doctors I started training again in December of 2005. Severly sprained my ankle in February of 2006 and couldn't do any run training until May. Was supposed to do an Olympic race (first one Olympic size) at the end of June but do to the uncertainty of my ankle I didn't register until the last week and then it was full. Today's race was to be an Olympic for me but 5 minutes before the race started, thunderstorms came in and the race was delayed for over 2 hours. When the weather cleared up the race directors decided to cut the Olympic distance because the policemen could not fully cover the course due to the time delay. In the midst of all this I am wondering if I am ever going to race again but finally they got the race started and my time in this sport finally came again. One last thing, I am 6'7" and 305 lbs back in November 05 and now am down to 260lbs so I was interested to see how the lower weight might help me.
Event warmup:

Not much due to uncertainty of race start time and weather.
Swim
  • 13m 39s
  • 820 yards
  • 01m 40s / 100 yards
Comments:

I went through the course and despite all of the swim training I have done I kept thinking this is really hard. Had not done much OW training in the last 2 years since I raced but sighting was good so I couldn't figure out why I was breathing hard and thinking despite my interest in doing the Olympic distance how happy I was to only have to go around this course once for the sprint distance instead of twice for the cancelled Olympic race. As I continued to labor and really look forward to getting out of the water I realized in looking at my watch how fast I was going (at least for me). I love my swim time but I must have really been pumped up because I think this influenced the rest of my race.
What would you do differently?:

Slow down some and save HR for rest of race. Sighting was pretty good for the fact that I had not done much OW swimming.
Transition 1
  • 02m 44s
Comments:

Due to my ankle injury I still wear a brace which took some time to get on. I also wore two pair of sox on one foot due to a recent blister. Even though compared to other racers this is slow I think despite extra stuff I had to do I felt OK about this.

Not much
Bike
  • 46m 32s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 16.03 mile/hr
Comments:

I just could not get my HR down but due to the shortness of the race instead of the Olympic I was expecting to do it worked out OK. I think due to going hard on the swim I got ahead of a number of people that I had no business being ahead of and they and their sweet bikes took it out on me. I got passed and passed and passed and passed and passed some more. I have a Mountain Bike that I put road tires on but no aero bars or clips on my pedals so even though this wasn't a bad ride for me in hindsight I was so mad about getting passed so much. This really wasn't that bad of a ride for me compared to my training but man - did I mention I got passed a lot!

Put a motor on my bike. I really feel like if I had a tri bike or just a racing bike the I could get my 16mph up to 18-19 mph. I am sure another 30-40lbs lost wouldn't hurt either. I did take it easier at the end to try and get HR down which did happen.
Transition 2
  • 01m 2s
Comments:

Just got helmet off, running shorts on, take a drink of water and off I go.

Nothing
Run
  • 30m 20s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 45s  min/mile
Comments:

I am not a runner and losing a lot of training time did not help. That being said I am amazed that I did this under a 10 minute mile. I never run under 10 minute miles. Again I got irritated at the number of people passing me but looking at the time and that I am still carrying 260lbs around I feel good about this. I never felt drop over dead tired where I had to stop and I never felt like I really could have pushed the pace that much harder either. One woman who passed me asked if I was running with ankle weights on. She was looking at my ankle brace. I said no but with all the rain we had during the race I felt like the water being soaked up into the velcro straps made it that way.

When I did races 2 years ago, I got to the run and had nothing at all in the tank. So much so that even on small races I struggled to even do 12 minute miles so for me in a triathlon to get under 10 minute miles - I am thrilled.
Post race
Warm down:

I had family there watching the race since my wife and I were in it. My wife started a couple waves after me so she was just starting to run as I finished it maybe 5 minutes later. They weren't expecting me so I come down the chute with them not there. I finish and walk over to them and just stand there until they notice me and they were quite surprised that I was done. I told them that I am just deceptively fast and we had a good laugh. Walked some and ate some pizza, watermelon.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Using too much on the swim and bike. When I went home last night I was so discouraged by all the people that passed me that I wondered if I should be doing this. After seeing the times today and thinking the whole thing through I feel great. I had a very good race for me and at some point I will get a racing bike, lose more weight, train harder and longer and perhaps become more competitive. Even though I had not raced for 2 yrs I follow this sport, read about it and think about what I might be able to accomplish. I felt great to race again and actually feel like the work I have put in paid off. I am scheduled and registered to do the Pleasant Prarie Oly in 3 weeks so hopefully the third time is a charm this year to get it in. Triathlon's are all about people that appreciate the value of enduring and that has what drew me into it and I am excited to continue that in the future. There is still a chance I might do a HIM in September.

Event comments:

These race directors it was apparent were really motivated to put on a high quality race to raise money for Children's Hospital. Mother nature did not cooperate and I felt bad for them. They did a great job and despite the difficulties with the weather I am sure that this will be a great race for years to come.

Last updated: 2006-07-31 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:39 | 820 yards | 01m 40s / 100yards
Age Group: 4/13
Overall: 58/333
Performance: Good
Suit: None
Course: Somewhat in a circle with indents for the size of the body of water
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 84F / 29C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:44
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:46:32 | 12.43 miles | 16.03 mile/hr
Age Group: 10/13
Overall: 0/333
Performance: Average
I wanted to have my HR down to 140-150 asap after the swim but I never got there the whole race. Avg HR for bike was probably 165.
Wind: Little
Course: Mild hills
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:02
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:30:20 | 03.11 miles | 09m 45s  min/mile
Age Group: 11/13
Overall: 272/333
Avg HR around 171
Course: Road course around lake that we swam in.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-07-31 3:19 PM

User image

Expert
Mukwonago, WI
Subject: Tri-ing for Children's Sprint Triathlon

2006-07-31 3:38 PM
in reply to: #498577

User image

Elite
Muskego, WI
Subject: RE: Tri-ing for Children's Sprint Triathlon
Great Job!  I was there.  I bailed out at about 9:40 or so...I couldn't see how the weather was gonna clear up, and my stuff was soaked.  I'm glad for the sake of the organizers that they got the race in.  I'm looking forward to doing this race next year.
2006-07-31 9:12 PM
in reply to: #498615

User image

Expert
Mukwonago, WI
Wow - you bailed probably about 20 minutes before things finally got going. Too bad - it still ended up being somewhat of a nice day.

Definitely do it next year because I think with nice weather this is going to be one of the better races in this area.

Go Pack!
2006-07-31 10:19 PM

User image

Veteran
Milwaukee
Great job on the race! It was a crazy morning that is for sure! Good luck in PP!
2006-08-02 5:41 PM

User image

Master
Delafield, Wisconsin
Nice race. You were blazing on that swim. I was there, but I also bailed on the race. After the long delay, I had mentally checked out of the race. That has never happened before ( and I plan on it never happening again). Sounds like it was still fun after things got going. Way to push through all your adversity.
2006-08-04 11:56 AM
in reply to: #500843

User image

Expert
Mukwonago, WI

Nice race. You were blazing on that swim. I was there, but I also bailed on the race. After the long delay, I had mentally checked out of the race. That has never happened before ( and I plan on it never happening again). Sounds like it was still fun after things got going. Way to push through all your adversity.

Mentally it was very difficult especially when they did decide to race finally, they only gave us about 15-20 mins to sort your transition area out again but I was glad to stick around after not racing for 2 yrs.

Are you doing any other races in the area?

2006-08-04 12:11 PM

User image

Master
Delafield, Wisconsin
I am doing the Oshkosh tri next weekend (my first Oly.). I am probably going to try and do one more tri in Sept., but I'm not sure which one. Most likely I will be doing the Dousman Duathlon, which is also in September.
2006-09-27 7:43 PM

User image

Master
piece o heaven
Great Job on the race, Nice to see us big guys forged thru the adversity.

Better late than never, but had to respond. It was a crazy morning, and a great race. One I will never forget.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri-ing for Children's Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed