BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Power Mentor Group with Shane & Marc - Closed. Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 73

2014-01-03 12:02 PM
in reply to: cdkayak

User image

Master
Guilford, CT
Subject: RE: Power Mentor Group with Shane & Marc - Closed.
Also, to be clear, I'm not pushing for TR. I just happen to buy a year of it and like it, but you definitely don't need it. I've used the GC training view in the past with sufferfest videos loaded up synched with the Erg file and it worked just fine. So hope nobody feels like they are missing out.

Power question. I've never really tested on the trainer. I know my outdoor power is higher. 20' is pretty steady suffering, but I know my 5' power is quite a bit higher outside than inside and that if I used that number it pushes my FTP down a little because the curve is steeper. Should I just do a 5' seated interval on the trainer and use that or what my real all out 5' power is? We are probably talking close to a 50 watt difference...I've hit 410 outside but I'd be pretty hard pressed to do much more than 360 I'd guess inside. Also, are you supposed to remain seated on the 5'?

2014-01-03 12:21 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

This weekend my TSB should be positive for the first time since October.  Ready to test...just hope it doesn't rain.  I refuse to test indoors. 

2014-01-03 12:34 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Master
I too am looking forward to getting started with the official program. I assume that the schedule will dictate what days to test and what test prtocols to follow?

for those that gained weight over the holidays...I gained 10 pounds since mid October. Hit my low mark for weight for my A race and then workouts petered out due to being sick and a bit burnt out. Definitely loking forward to losing the weight again. I ran much better at 152 than 162!
2014-01-03 1:46 PM
in reply to: trisuppo

All ready to go here as well. GC, TR are all updated, found the easter egg for power smoothing in GC. Will there be "Official Test" files posted to use for the 5 and 20 minute test or are we on our own to use whatever files we find? Looking to complete the first 5 minute test likely on Sunday and then give a day or 2 of rest and hitting the 20 minute test. I should have a pretty good guesstimation of pacing as I've been riding FightClub on TR once or twice a week for the past few weeks. So I think I have an OK handle on what I can hold for 5 and 20 min.

Side note, I signed up for my first Sprint Tri which will be Texasman on May 4th. WOOT!!!

Ron
2014-01-03 2:16 PM
in reply to: RandyP

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by RandyP

Originally posted by marcag

How is everyone feeling ?

Ready to start rolling next week ?

Everyone solve their technology problems ?

Everyone decided how they are going to test and have an idea on how to pace ?

1. Feeling great!

2. Ready to go....it'll be fun!

3. Pain cave is all setup and ready

4. How to test, I'm sure I can figure it out but didn't know if you wanted everyone to follow a certain protocol.  (ie: with proper warm-up, a few sprints, take 95% of 20min, etc.).  There seems to be a 101 different ways to do this and I'm sure they all get you in the general ball park, however if you'd like us to follow X testing protocol....just point the way.

How do you plan on sharing the workouts?  Will an attachment be posted in this forum, GC group, etc.?  Once we do the workouts in "fill in the blank" application do we post to GC (no idea if they have this functionality) so others can review and make positive comments, critiques, motivate.....

FYI, I think I'm in the minority of not having a TrainerRoad account.

I will let Shane take first reply at the testing protocol.. I know it will be 5' and 20' on different days, but I am not sure what order he wants us doing them or what warmup he suggests.

At a minimum we will be putting the workouts here. If someone wants to create the TR team we can do that as well. I think Jason knows what's involved.

I will try to put them in ErgDB. I am not 100% sure how well that works, but at a minimum, they will be here.

2014-01-03 2:21 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by JAYCT

Also, to be clear, I'm not pushing for TR. I just happen to buy a year of it and like it, but you definitely don't need it. I've used the GC training view in the past with sufferfest videos loaded up synched with the Erg file and it worked just fine. So hope nobody feels like they are missing out.

Power question. I've never really tested on the trainer. I know my outdoor power is higher. 20' is pretty steady suffering, but I know my 5' power is quite a bit higher outside than inside and that if I used that number it pushes my FTP down a little because the curve is steeper. Should I just do a 5' seated interval on the trainer and use that or what my real all out 5' power is? We are probably talking close to a 50 watt difference...I've hit 410 outside but I'd be pretty hard pressed to do much more than 360 I'd guess inside. Also, are you supposed to remain seated on the 5'?

The best is to ask Shane's opinion as a coach, but here is my personal experience.

I test as I will train, ie sitting down, in a road position (for the next 2 months).

Out of the saddle, outdoors, up a hill I can generate a lot more power but that would skew my FTP considerably.
Then again you will figure out pretty quickly if your FTP is correct by the difficult you have hitting the workout targets.

FYI, and Shane might disagree with this one, I do test my 1' in the same session as my 5', to get a sense if that is improving as well. It is low cost and an interesting metric for me.

Edited by marcag 2014-01-03 2:49 PM

2014-01-03 2:24 PM
in reply to: WaterRat

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by WaterRat
I've been riding FightClub on TR once or twice a week for the past few weeks.

I would ride Fightclub with a NP at 90% of my FTP and would usually feel I did it pretty hard.
2014-01-03 2:29 PM
in reply to: JAYCT

User image

Extreme Veteran

Also, to be clear, I'm not pushing for TR.

I never got that impression.
I will eventually like to get people's opinion of one environment over the other.
TR is well packaged and probably easier to get going. But I wonder if once you've tamed GC if it's close. I suspect non techy people struggle a little with GC. One of the benefits we have as a group is to support each other through it.

We will also learn some of the really cool things GC does, especially aerolab. I love aerolab
2014-01-03 2:56 PM

I would ride Fightclub with a NP at 90% of my FTP and would usually feel I did it pretty hard.

Good to know as it looks like I'm doing the workout close to right then. A few weeks back when I did my 20' test i came up with 167 and my last ride I had an average power of 152 which is 91% of FTP. I do believe I have more in me though.

Ron
2014-01-03 3:02 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Good to know as it looks like I'm doing the workout close to right then. A few weeks back when I did my 20' test i came up with 167 and my last ride I had an average power of 152 which is 91% of FTP. I do believe I have more in me though.

Ron

Did you do a 5' test, 20' test and calculate your FTP using the 5' and 20' ?
What was the NP on that 152 ride ?
2014-01-03 3:18 PM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia

The best is to ask Shane's opinion as a coach, but here is my personal experience.

I test as I will train, ie sitting down, in a road position (for the next 2 months).

Out of the saddle, outdoors, up a hill I can generate a lot more power but that would skew my FTP considerably.
Then again you will figure out pretty quickly if your FTP is correct by the difficult you have hitting the workout targets.

FYI, and Shane might disagree with this one, I do test my 1' in the same session as my 5', to get a sense if that is improving as well. It is low cost and an interesting metric for me.

Agreed with Marc for the testing, at least for the bulk of the test. So if someone is testing in aero bit then pops up to sitting for the last bit of the test, I don't have much of a concern with that. However, if one is going to train in aero and tests standing, it is unlikely that the testing will produce a valid result.

Also, for the short durations, you can test in conjunction with the other tests or we could look at having a short test as part of the third ride for those who wish. Also, I will have some harder efforts as part of the training, mainly as part of the warmup but we can talk about where you may want to include some harder efforts through the other rides.

Shane

2014-01-03 3:50 PM
in reply to: gsmacleod

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Subject: Workouts - Week of January 6/2013
Here are the workouts for the week; you should have an easy day between all of these workouts. If you are getting on the bike you should be just spinning and if you are running, it should be easy. If swimming you can usually get away with a bit more intensity but you want the focus to be on doing the best you can on the bke tests this week. Generally I prefer to have athletes do the short test first but if works better for you, you can certainly reverse them.

The goal should be to do the tests during the week (say Tuesday/Thursday) to establish a baseline FTP which we will use for the third workout. Generally the workouts that will be during the week will be roughly an hour and the weekend rides may be a bit longer but it is unlikely we will do much that is longer than 90 minutes unless you really want to include additional riding at the end of a workout.

Workout 1 – Short Test – 45:00

10:00 spin; get loose, build up a light sweat, have slightly elevated breathing by the end
5:00 at a moderately hard effort (just a bit easier than oly distance race effort)
5:00 spin
5x15s at about 5:00 test effort, 45s easy spin
5:00 spin
5:00 all out – you want to be steady through this or build power as you go; you don’t want to start off too hard and then fade as the test progresses. Better to start a little too easy and build throughout than blow up part way through. Through the first half of the test, ask if you can keep this power up for another minute; if so you are probably right where you want to be; if not adjust slightly. With two minutes or less to go, time to just grit your teeth and hang on.
10:00 spin

Workout 2 – Long Test – 1:00:00

10:00 spin; get loose, build up a light seat, have slightly elevated breathing by the end
5x30s at short test wattage, 30s easy spin
10:00 spin
20:00 all out - you want to be steady through this or build power as you go; you don’t want to start off too hard and then fade as the test progresses. Better to start a little too easy and build throughout than blow up part way through. Early in the test, if you feel you can hold the power for another 5:00, you are probably right where you want to be; if 5:00 would be easy, go a bit harder, if 5:00 seems like way too long, back off a little. With five minutes to go, time to just hang on through to the end.
15:00 spin

Workout 3 – Tempo – 1:10:00

10:00 spin 50-70% of FTP
5x10s all out, 50s easy <55% FTP
5:00 spin at 60-65% of FTP
2x15:00 at 80% of FTP with 5:00 60-65% of FTP between
10:00 at 90% of FTP
10:00 spin less than 70% of FTP

Good luck, I look forward to hearing how the tests go!

Shane
2014-01-03 3:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Workouts - Week of January 6/2013
Thanks Shane

Let's do the two tests, calculate our CPs and then I will provide workout files moving forward (including this week's 3rd workout).

The workouts will be based on the CP we set in the first two.

2014-01-03 4:17 PM

Ron

3 Weeks ago I only did a 20' test as I did not know about doing a 5' and 20'. So the 167 was just off my first ever 20' test.

NP = 176 on the ride with the average power of 152.

Ron
2014-01-03 5:39 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Ron

3 Weeks ago I only did a 20' test as I did not know about doing a 5' and 20'. So the 167 was just off my first ever 20' test.

NP = 176 on the ride with the average power of 152.

Ron

I suspect this round of testing is going to yield a much better number :-)
2014-01-03 7:38 PM

User image

Regular
Ready to roll. Due to schedule, w/o #1 will be Sunday afternoon for me. One week post marathon, but fully rested and ready to get back in the saddle.

Tom

2014-01-03 8:04 PM
in reply to: tallytom

User image

Originally posted by tallytom Ready to roll. Due to schedule, w/o #1 will be Sunday afternoon for me. One week post marathon, but fully rested and ready to get back in the saddle. Tom

Testing 1 week post marathon is going to be tough.  My guess is that even if you complete the test without blowing up...you'll likely see a big jump during your second test.

2014-01-04 5:31 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Hey folks!

Some of the testing we are about to embark on is pretty demanding

Please make sure you are ready for it.

I have been asked to remind you of the following http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=...

Please pay attention to the medical disclaimer section. As contributors we want to make sure you are doing this safely.

Cheers

2014-01-04 12:40 PM

User image

Elite
Ontario

Been away from the web for the past couple of weeks but spent some time last night catching back up through this thread and setting up GC.  Plan to take it for a spin this afternoon and see what comes out of it.  Also went through a bit of a painstaking task yesterday and imported the last 2 years worth of ride files into GC.  Now I just need to learn how to make use of all the data - wonder if there is a cleaner view of the PMC chart.  The lines seem so "clunky" compared to what I've seen in TP before.

2014-01-04 2:59 PM
in reply to: GoFaster

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Originally posted by GoFaster

Been away from the web for the past couple of weeks but spent some time last night catching back up through this thread and setting up GC.  Plan to take it for a spin this afternoon and see what comes out of it.  Also went through a bit of a painstaking task yesterday and imported the last 2 years worth of ride files into GC.  Now I just need to learn how to make use of all the data - wonder if there is a cleaner view of the PMC chart.  The lines seem so "clunky" compared to what I've seen in TP before.

I would like to know the same thing.  Marc posted a screen shot of his PMC a few days ago and it looks like the ones I've seen from TP....but what I get in GC does not look the same.  I also tried to figure out how to add my best 5/20/60/90 minute powers on the PMC and couldn't find the chart settings to add a custom chart (well, modify the PMC chart is really what I want -- I did figure out how to make a whole separate chart with those max powers, but that's not quite what I want).

2014-01-04 4:22 PM

User image

Oakville

I plan to do the 5 minute test Sunday night and the 20 minute test on Tuesday.

I understand that CP for the 20 minute test will be 95% of average power (at least I think this is the case), but what is the % for the 5 minute test?

Just wondering so I can pick a realistic pace. 

2014-01-04 5:47 PM
in reply to: Scott71

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Originally posted by Scott71

I plan to do the 5 minute test Sunday night and the 20 minute test on Tuesday.

I understand that CP for the 20 minute test will be 95% of average power (at least I think this is the case), but what is the % for the 5 minute test?

Just wondering so I can pick a realistic pace. 

Looking at my data using the spreadsheet I made from Coach Jorge's original, CP from my 5' has been between 81 and 84% and my 20' between 93 & 96% (all rounded)

2014-01-04 6:10 PM
in reply to: Donto

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
I'm all hooked up and ready to go. KK Road Machine, Garmin GSC-10 + ANT+ device, GC loaded on laptop. I haven't done a workout yet, I just spun the bike with my hand to the peddle to see if the data acquisition would occur. I selected the KK Road Machine and it looks like GC is displaying virtual power based on speed. I am new to everything here, including the KK.

What kind of rear tire pressure should I use with the trainer? I normally ride at 110-115 psi.

I have no idea at what effort to start out with for either test.

I weigh 195 lbs, My OLY bike splits are in the 21-22 mph range, I did a 3 mile TT on the Kansas Speedway last summer, went 3 miles in 6:31, average speed 27.6 mph very flat!

Should I do a couple test workouts first before I do my 2 tests?
2014-01-04 6:27 PM
in reply to: GoFaster

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by GoFaster
 The lines seem so "clunky" compared to what I've seen in TP before.

Do you have it on "group by days" ?
Group by weeks makes it a little cleaner when looking over a longer time period
2014-01-04 6:30 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by ligersandtions
I also tried to figure out how to add my best 5/20/60/90 minute powers on the PMC and couldn't find the chart settings to add a custom chart (well, modify the PMC chart is really what I want -- I did figure out how to make a whole separate chart with those max powers, but that's not quite what I want).

If you go into chart settings->Custom

you will see "Coggan Accute Training Load", "Coggan Chrnonic Trainining Load" ....and other selected
Multii Select those and the additional metrics you want to add such as "60 min Peak power", "90 min Peak Power"

I think the Multi Slect key is ctrl Left Key on Windows and Command Click on mac
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Power Mentor Group with Shane & Marc - Closed. Rss Feed  

of 73

RELATED POSTS

Shane's (gsmacleod) Coaching Mentor Group - Open Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by gsmacleod
Views: 16029 Posts: 116

2014-05-14 7:37 AM Dominion

Birkierunner's (Jim Kelley) General + Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 29430 Posts: 415

2014-05-16 9:06 AM Birkierunner

Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Group version 3-CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 72 73 74 75

Started by slornow
Views: 60577 Posts: 1862

2014-05-16 5:48 PM GoldenSprocket

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.

date : April 15, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
This month we talk with gsmacleod, aka Coach Shane MacLeod on his coaching philosophy, his approach to gadgets, training plans, missed workouts and strength training.
date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.

date : March 4, 2009
author : jasongootman
In this third part, we discuss bike workout types and how they relate to power training. Power analysis of workouts included. Presented by Tri-Hard coaching and Fit Werx.
date : December 3, 2008
author : jasongootman
What is power training? In this first part, learn the terms and definitions associated with power training. Presented by Tri-Hard coaching and Fit Werx.

date : October 21, 2008
author : Coach AJ
Training with a power meter will make sure that you are spending every minute on the bike effectively. Racing with a power meter will keep you humble and in your proper zones on race day.
date : April 1, 2008
author : sportfactory
How will a power meter help my cycling training and racing? A few questions and answers will help determine if a power meter will be good for you.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.