BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Power Mentor Group with Shane & Marc - Closed. Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 73

2014-01-12 7:08 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas
Subject: RE: Power Mentor Group with Shane & Marc - Closed.

Wow, thanks Marc!  I've been looking at that silly CP chart for a long time and had figured some of those things out, but I was missing a lot!  In fact, I really had no idea what that red curve was and that was one of those things that was driving me crazy, as I was sure it meant something.  Really good information to know....and to eventually play with and see if I can hit those numbers.

2014-01-12 7:17 PM

User image

Veteran
Maine
Crystal, Welcome to the group.

Marc, Thanks for the explanation on the chart. I've been playing around with some of the data and that really helps pull a few additional pieces together.
2014-01-12 7:43 PM
in reply to: cdkayak

User image

, Washington

1.236 so Sprinters for me.

Marc, cool explanation of the CP curve, thanks.

2014-01-13 4:52 AM

Brampton, Ontario
Good morning all,

Just did my 20 minutes this .. I called for god in the last 30 seconds and was able to finish.. did not like this one at all

235 watts was the average .. I will talk to Neil tis morning at the office and see how I can post the actual picture of my 5 second and 20 minute work out.

Cheers and have a great day
Pierre
2014-01-13 6:51 AM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Originally posted by marcag

Marc,

Very nice example with the CP chart; that should be very useful when athletes are analyzing their riding.

Another point that I would add is that if you look beyond Marc's 20 minute effort, you will see that his actual results (for 2014) fall off dramatically when compared to the CP curve. I assume this because the longest focused interval he has done has been the 20 minute effort so the remaining results are simply filled in with the best efforts it can find. You will also notice something similar on the left hand side but for triathletes, unless you are doing draft legal racing, the left (short than five minutes) is not that important and we will not do much focused work here besides a few harder efforts in warmups just to get the legs going.

This is the idea behind raise the left, fill the right. So, right now, we are focused on raising that 5 and 20 minute efforts as high as we can and then when you get out on the road and are doing more race specific work, you can work on "filling in" the right.

Shane
2014-01-13 6:53 AM

User image

Champion
Originally posted by marcag

Originally posted by WaterRat

Originally posted by tallytom

Marq or Shane, did the math for the workout groups and came out w 1.158, which sits on the line for group 2 or 3. I'm thinking the All around group (#2) suits me. Agree?

Tom

Hello, I did not see an answer to Tom's question and I'm in the exact same position as Tom with a 1.158. In fact I think Tom and I are clones as our 5' and 20' test were pretty much identical. The Tom and Ron show, what others strive to be! LOL

Anyway, I did not do well on the 5' but did well on the 20'. Should I be focusing on the 2nd or 3rd group workouts?

Thanks for all the great help so far. I can almost feel myself getting smarter.

Ron

If you think you could have done better on the 5', I would say group 3

Agree with Marc; if you feel that you could have done better on the 5' test, you would have seen an even larger difference between the two tests which means that your best bet is likely to spend more time right around FTP as opposed to focusing more on VO2max.

Shane

2014-01-13 7:21 AM
in reply to: Habs1969

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Habs1969

Good morning all,

Just did my 20 minutes this .. I called for god in the last 30 seconds and was able to finish.. did not like this one at all

235 watts was the average .. I will talk to Neil tis morning at the office and see how I can post the actual picture of my 5 second and 20 minute work out.

Cheers and have a great day
Pierre

Excellent
What a way to start the week. Monday early AM doing the 20' test.

So that's 265 for the 5 and 235 for the 20' ? 1.128 ratio ?
2014-01-13 7:27 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Busy day yesterday and finally was able to do my 20' test in the evening, tried my best to hold 223W.  Result was 221W and CP calc's out to be 209W (258, 221).  Ratio is 1.167 and will go with group 3 workouts.

I'm going on a biz trip T-F this week so won't be able to get in any workouts until the weekend.

Edited by Donto 2014-01-13 7:29 AM

Attachments
----------------
2014-01-12 20min test 50min.csv (108KB - 4 downloads)
2014-01-13 7:44 AM

User image

Master
Guilford, CT
How do I post a picture? I thought I used to know how. I feel like it is way more tedious than it should be. Edit: I figured it out!
Riding with the roadies this summer, here's what a little steeper chart looks like. You can see I put in a lot of 3 to 20 effort along the curve and it is filled in decently in that range.

Edited by JAYCT 2014-01-13 7:48 AM

(cp chart.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
cp chart.jpg (113KB - 5 downloads)
2014-01-13 7:52 AM
in reply to: gsmacleod

User image

Master
Guilford, CT
Shane/Marc,
Am I over-riding the intervals? I use the target as more of a floor and go by how I feel, but the past two I tried I've been over a bit. You can see on these, the second column in aw and the third is target, so I was over by a good 5% and want to make sure that isn't too much. Same on the shorter stuff and the sweetspot.

(cp chart.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
cp chart.jpg (74KB - 5 downloads)
2014-01-13 8:24 AM
in reply to: Donto

User image

Master
Guilford, CT
Nice steady pace Donto! Were you totally cooked at the end or did you have more to give looking back?

2014-01-13 8:58 AM
in reply to: gsmacleod

If you think you could have done better on the 5', I would say group 3

Agree with Marc; if you feel that you could have done better on the 5' test, you would have seen an even larger difference between the two tests which means that your best bet is likely to spend more time right around FTP as opposed to focusing more on VO2max.

Shane

Perfect, sign me up for Group 3. First workout will be tonight.

Ron
2014-01-13 9:00 AM
in reply to: JAYCT

User image

Master
I'm hoping to get back on the bike tomorrow morning. I was laid out all weekend with a cold/flu. Fever, chills, felt weak, coughing, congested. It sucked. Looking forward to joing my fellow Sprinters and getting into this weeks three workouts.

In a tri related subject - looks like I might have the opportunity to take a swim clinic with 19 others with Sheila Taormina. I bought her book last year and think this may be a great opportunity to really learn her teachings.
2014-01-13 11:01 AM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Originally posted by JAYCT Nice steady pace Donto! Were you totally cooked at the end or did you have more to give looking back?

Thanks, I was cooked man, dinner from 4 hours earlier was at my throat!  Just look at my 1minute of recovery right after the test, I could barely pedal!  From about 6' to 12' I was having some serious doubts about finishing then something clicked and I got my mojo going again.

At the 17' mark I tried to push +230W but after 30" I knew there was know way I could hold it, so I "recovered" and really focused on the next minute or so to hold 225 then went for it on the last minute.

Again I felt stronger down on the aerobars than I did sitting up and did the test at least 70% on the AB.

2014-01-13 11:14 AM
in reply to: RunningJoke

User image

Lincoln, Nebraska
Originally posted by RunningJoke

Call me an all-rounder, then!

Watch out week #2, here we come.

Jaime

I'm with Jaime. Group 2, week 2. Here we go! Well tomorrow that is. This morning was a run/swim day for me.
2014-01-13 11:23 AM
in reply to: crissy_jo

User image

Elite
Ontario

I'm going to consider myself part of the injured group for the rest of this week.  I've got my CP calculated from previous testing and will try to fit in new testing as soon as I'm able, but although my body doesn't feel too bad, my HR is a mess.  30min on the trainer last night, pedaling at a warmup wattage and my HR was higher than HIM level - I just can't manage any reasonable effort levels at the moment.  Saw a doctor this morning, and he's telling me I've likely got another week before I clear this out of my system.

2014-01-13 11:37 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by JAYCT

Shane/Marc,
Am I over-riding the intervals? I use the target as more of a floor and go by how I feel, but the past two I tried I've been over a bit. You can see on these, the second column in aw and the third is target, so I was over by a good 5% and want to make sure that isn't too much. Same on the shorter stuff and the sweetspot.

Couple of things

I think we guestimated your CP. Maybe it's a little low.

Not sure if Shane does this with his athletes, but I actually use zones

Recovery 0-56%
Aerobic 57-76
Tempo 77-91
Threshold 92-106
VO2 107-121
Hard 121+

Other people have slight variations of these %
When I see 70%, I think Aerobic, when I see 80%, I think tempo....

As long as I am in that zone, I am happy.
When I just get a new CP I tend to be more at the bottom of the zone. When I start feeling it's easy in a zone, maybe it's time to retest
If I have a really tough workout ahead, maybe I'll be a bit more conservative.
If I am unsure of 5x an interval, I'll start closer to the bottom and try to build
When I see the interval is 92% I am thinking threshold and Shane is slowly going to build here.

Also, for those on VP, if you get a feel for the HR associated to each of those zones, this will allow you to pace when you get on the road without power.

Edited by marcag 2014-01-13 11:48 AM
2014-01-13 12:02 PM
in reply to: trisuppo

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Originally posted by trisuppo

I'm hoping to get back on the bike tomorrow morning. I was laid out all weekend with a cold/flu. Fever, chills, felt weak, coughing, congested. It sucked. Looking forward to joing my fellow Sprinters and getting into this weeks three workouts.

In a tri related subject - looks like I might have the opportunity to take a swim clinic with 19 others with Sheila Taormina. I bought her book last year and think this may be a great opportunity to really learn her teachings.

I hear you about colds slowing you down. I think I'm over mine. That's cool about going to Sheila T's swim clinic. Do it! I'm halfway through Swim Speed Secrets and I've got the stretch cords. I think I'll do my dry workouts just before my trainer sessions to make it a routine.

When/where is this clinic? She's not coming to the K.C. area this year so I was hoping to get lucky and connect around the time of one of my business travels etc.
2014-01-13 12:17 PM

User image

Champion
Originally posted by JAYCT

Shane/Marc,

For these, if you can consistently ride a bit over the targets, that isn't terrible as we are really targetting a training level, not a specific wattage although I've written the workouts with a specific wattage in mind. However, this is because we will be building, for example in this case, from low level 4 in the early days into a higher level 4 effort before we test again. If you are able to ride a similar average across all then it won't be an issue but if you hammer the first and fail in the last, then that will be where the problem could arise.

Also, for the 30s, not as issue as what are targetting is a floor as these are greater thatn 105% (and depending on the athlete, could be quite a bit higher depending on how the short and long test compare).

Also, as Marc points out, if CP is estimated a little low, then you will be able to ride a little harder than prescribed but I would focus on trying to build through the workouts so that your strongest effort is your last or second to last repeat.

Shane
2014-01-13 1:26 PM

User image

Not using GC, but these are the overlays of my 2012 curve vs by 2013 curve.  Summer of 2012 I was just focusing on road racing.  FTP was higher, as well as 1' power.

(2012_2013 Curve.bmp)

Attachments
----------------
2012_2013 Curve.bmp (1359KB - 4 downloads)
2014-01-13 1:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Given you did do some HIM, I am surprised your 2hr+ efforts are not higher, given your FTP. Was your training for HIM included in there ?

This is an important quote for those racing distance triathlon

Originally posted by gsmacleod
This is the idea behind raise the left, fill the right. So, right now, we are focused on raising that 5 and 20 minute efforts as high as we can and then when you get out on the road and are doing more race specific work, you can work on "filling in" the right.

Edited by marcag 2014-01-13 2:05 PM

2014-01-13 1:55 PM

Brampton, Ontario
Hey Marc.

yes that's seem correct..
P
2014-01-13 2:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Question for Jason & Jason,

when you road race, what is a typical duration ?

do you tend to be in the first peloton or second ?

what type of wattage do you typically do for most of the race ? How close to FTP ?

if you are in the second (or third) peloton, how much more wattage would you have to be in the next one up ?
2014-01-13 2:52 PM

User image

Originally posted by marcag Given you did do some HIM, I am surprised your 2hr+ efforts are not higher, given your FTP. Was your training for HIM included in there ? This is an important quote for those racing distance triathlon
Originally posted by gsmacleod This is the idea behind raise the left, fill the right. So, right now, we are focused on raising that 5 and 20 minute efforts as high as we can and then when you get out on the road and are doing more race specific work, you can work on "filling in" the right.

Combination of 2 things.  

1.  My long term power doesn't translate well from my shorter efforts.  I know this, and I account for this in racing.  80% of FTP for a HIM is pushing it for me.

2.  Most of my long training rides are with a group, and on terrain where it's hard to keep constant pedal pressure.  Lots of coasting, or noodling around at regrouping areas waiting for others.  It makes a big dent in my 2+ hour power efforts (as far as what shows up on the power curve), but not something I'm really concerned about.  

Edited by Jason N 2014-01-13 3:00 PM
2014-01-13 3:21 PM

User image

Originally posted by marcag Question for Jason & Jason, when you road race, what is a typical duration ? do you tend to be in the first peloton or second ? what type of wattage do you typically do for most of the race ? How close to FTP ? if you are in the second (or third) peloton, how much more wattage would you have to be in the next one up ?

I've only done one road race with power since getting my quarq last year.  Everything else was done on 404's instead of my PT training set (can't use disc cover in road races).  I've done road races anywhere from 1:45 to 5+ hours.

There really is no way to estimate power requirements unless you know the course and who is racing with you.  There is one thing for sure...it's never steady.  You can roll around in the peloton at 25 mph while pushing maybe 130 watts.  Or you might be the one up front driving the chase at 290 watts.  Attacks are generally made on the hills where you can expect to push 200% of FTP for up to a minute...and once gaps are made, the foot might come off the gas a bit.

Here's the only power file of the one road race I have data on.  Ignore the elevation datat as it seemed to stop working after 2 laps.  It was a 12 lap course of about 3 miles and 200 feet of climbing in each lap.  There are 3 hills in each lap, but only one hill was long and steep enough to make a break and that's where all the "action" happened.

This race wasn't typical though as we broke away into a group of about 7 after 3 laps.  Then me and another guy broke away again for one lap...then I got dropped by the eventual winner.  The field behind us was shredded, but I waited for one guy behind me and worked with him for 4-5 laps.  With about 3 laps to go, I attacked him and ended up somewhat cruising the last lap to take 2nd uncontested.

http://www.strava.com/activities/76350193

In general though, a power meter is somewhat useless during the actual race unless you're trying to make a bridge or going off solo.  Otherwise you are simply pacing yourself off other riders. 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Power Mentor Group with Shane & Marc - Closed. Rss Feed  

of 73

RELATED POSTS

Shane's (gsmacleod) Coaching Mentor Group - Open Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by gsmacleod
Views: 16037 Posts: 116

2014-05-14 7:37 AM Dominion

Birkierunner's (Jim Kelley) General + Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 29445 Posts: 415

2014-05-16 9:06 AM Birkierunner

Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Group version 3-CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 72 73 74 75

Started by slornow
Views: 60581 Posts: 1862

2014-05-16 5:48 PM GoldenSprocket

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.

date : April 15, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
This month we talk with gsmacleod, aka Coach Shane MacLeod on his coaching philosophy, his approach to gadgets, training plans, missed workouts and strength training.
date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.

date : March 4, 2009
author : jasongootman
In this third part, we discuss bike workout types and how they relate to power training. Power analysis of workouts included. Presented by Tri-Hard coaching and Fit Werx.
date : December 3, 2008
author : jasongootman
What is power training? In this first part, learn the terms and definitions associated with power training. Presented by Tri-Hard coaching and Fit Werx.

date : October 21, 2008
author : Coach AJ
Training with a power meter will make sure that you are spending every minute on the bike effectively. Racing with a power meter will keep you humble and in your proper zones on race day.
date : April 1, 2008
author : sportfactory
How will a power meter help my cycling training and racing? A few questions and answers will help determine if a power meter will be good for you.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.