Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 34

2014-01-21 10:01 AM
in reply to: markz

User image

Master
Boynton Beach, FL
Subject: RE: Team Trisuppo - OPEN

A February challenge might me just what I need.

My training for my May Oly race was supposed to start in full yesterday with a 5 mile run in the AM and a 1 hr bike session in the PM, only to be awakened by my 5 yr old at 4 am with a high fever and throwing up. So I went from triathlete to nurse in a flash. He's better now (I think it bwas food poisoning) so its school tomorrow for him and training for me. 

2014-01-21 2:22 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Somewhere in the Swamps of Philly
Trapped at home - looking at a foot of snow, wind chills -10F to -20F. Seems like an opportunity for the drainer and to binge on House of Lies.

Edited by JoePetto 2014-01-21 6:55 PM
2014-01-21 3:35 PM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Extreme Veteran
England
Subject: RE: Team Trisuppo
Sorry to be a little slow putting this up, but we went away for a long weekend and the wifi was flaky at best!

Name: chapfallen/Rachel

Story: Started with a sprint tri in 2010 as a one off to keep my husband company and to try to maintain fitness for my job, which requires a certain amount of physical activity. Somewhere along the way I got pulled into the social circle of the local tri club, and then this site. Since then it's been a bit of a whirlwind of ridiculous challenges and unexpected achievements. Did my first IM in Switzerland 2012. Crashed on the bike 4 days before the race, and for a while the jury was out on whether I'd make it to the start line, but with no small amount of credit to my physio, who remotely advised me, not only did I make it to the start, but I made it to the finish in what was, for me at the time, a very satisfactory finish time. 2013 I continued the long distance theme and raced Outlaw, which is non-IM branded race. It's VERY popular in the UK as it's half the cost of the IM races and known for being incredibly friendly and well organised. It definitely didn't disappoint. This time I made it to the start line intact, and instead decided to crash during the race! Fortunately it was just a bit of road rash, so I dusted myself off and got on with it. It was an incredibly hot day, which took it's toll on a lot of people, so I was really pleased to take nearly 1.5 hours off my previous IM time. Overall 2013 was a great year for me. I finished my first HM in under 2 hours (a LONG-time goal for me), and then finished off the year with a 3 day charity bike ride from London to Paris in September, which was an awesome challenge and the first time I'd ever done a multi-day event.

Family: Married with a dog and two cats...

Training: I took on board Ernesto's suggestion of running to the Maffetone method and have seen great gains in my running ever since. I do all my long runs at MAF. I do a fair bit of turbo training for the bike because it's easier, and over the winter most of the outdoor stuff is on the mountain bike. I've been trying out downhill mountain biking to improve my bike handling skills and although I'm never going to be spectacular I have improved a lot (it's hard not to improve when you start from a point where you're crying on the red runs - I can now do them without wussing out on anything, AND enjoy it!). Swimming is mostly at the Saturday club sessions when I can get there. I'm a good technical swimmer and just need to work on my strength and turnover to get faster (aka, I'm a lazy swimmer!)

Races: Last year I did a HM, a couple of sprints, Outlaw and the charity bike ride. I'd really hoped to fit in a late season HIM, but I couldn't fit it into my schedule.

Why I make a good mentee: I'm obsessed with learning more about triathlon. I am a BTF level 2 coach, although that doesn't really mean much. I read a lot about training, and have also learned quite a lot through trial and error along the way. I learned a huge amount from Ernesto when I was in his group, and hope that I can put some of that back in.

And now for the important part: As I previously stated, I'm going to be more of a spectator/cheerleader than anything else this year as I'm currently just over 7 weeks pregnant. Obviously it is very early, and this is not general knowledge (anyone who is friends with me on Facebook, please don't mention it!), but it's having a significant impact on my "training". I've been trying to stay active, but between a combination of tiredness and nausea it feels like a bit of a losing battle. Hopefully once I'm out of the first trimester I'll be able to do more, but I'm just taking it as it comes. So obviously I won't be participating in any challenges, and if I'm absent for a few days it's probably because I'm at work and then sleeping the rest of the time! Apologies if that happens, but I'll check in as often as I'm able. Plans for races this year are all on hold, although hopefully some time around the beginning of September I'm going to have an interesting "challenge".
2014-01-21 5:35 PM
in reply to: trisuppo

User image

Extreme Veteran
Good Morning Mitch and Gang, You still open for more numbers?? Won't be overly active as we are getting to wards the back end of our season in Perth WA and i have only a few sprints races to go. Love to join the gang again if I'm allowed.
2014-01-21 6:52 PM
in reply to: Matthews

User image

Expert
Originally posted by Matthews

Good Morning Mitch and Gang, You still open for more numbers?? Won't be overly active as we are getting to wards the back end of our season in Perth WA and i have only a few sprints races to go. Love to join the gang again if I'm allowed.

Matthew - you are always welcome and Mark needs some companionship from down under. Glad to hear from you.
2014-01-21 6:54 PM
in reply to: JoePetto

User image

Expert
Rachel - that's such wonderful news. When is your due date (not smart enough to do the math)?

2014-01-22 1:56 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Congrats Rachel and hope all goes well. -

Thanks Joe. I have been lurking a bit and after reading all the stories thought i will join in again. Below is my Bio

Matt
Age – 37
Perth, Western Australia
Married with 4 children. Oldest is 15 and the youngest is 7.

This is about the 3rd year I have been doing Tri’s. I did the bike and run leg in a team race at Busselton 70.3 2012. The following year I signed up for a full 70.3. Last year I did 2 70.3’s. One in January in Albany (5:58ish) and then Busselton in May (5:28ish). I just been back to Albany in January to do the Albany Half again. This time I managed to to improve most of my times on the year before other than the swim (5:48ish). The best part was seeing my 10yr son do a run, swim, run the day before our race.

I love doing triathlons but have difficulty in the water. I am a capable swim but at time have problems with my breathing. Both 70.3 last year I had no issue with my breathing but this year Albany Half the problem started again. But only for the 1st lap of the swim course and then because of the incorrect swimming technics i was using i then started to cramp in the 2nd lap.

This year I have just signed for a Olympic distance race end of March and plan to do a sprint of two. I am thinking of doing a 1/2 marathon in March but will see how my training goes. Its very hot here again and a little hard to run anymore then 10km in the 35+ degree.

I love being part of the group and hope to be able to build again my fitness and loose more weight.
2014-01-22 7:05 AM

User image

Rochester, New York

Good morning all!

I was in the mentor program when I first started doing tri's a few years ago, but have fallen out and DESPERATELY NEED TO GET BACK INTO IT!!!

That being said...

NAME: rjdorman (Bob

STORY: I did my first organized run about 6 years ago, then decided that I could actually swim and bike, too, so I was bitten by the triathlon bug!  I have successfully completed several 5ks, and sprint tri's as well as an intermediate/olympic distance tri.  I then completed a half marathon in 2008, but newborn twins, family & life got in the way, and my training dropped off a bit.  2012 was a total flame out year for me and I gained weight, did little to no training, and fell off the wagon so to speak.  In 2013, I attempted one sprint tri, and was really disappointed when the swim was cancelled due to rough water and it turned into a run-bike-run race that just about killed me.  Finished last or second to last, and felt horrible!

FAMILY STATUS: Separated and working toward divorce.  Have 3 beautiful girls, 9 and 5 yr old twins.  Also have a wonderful girlfriend who is a huge inspiration for me: spiritually, nutritionally, and just overall fantastic!

CURRENT TRAINING: Working on a 22 week plan.

THIS YEAR'S RACES:

June 2014: Green Lakes Tri

July 2014: Shoreline Tri

August 2014: triDunkirk (My "A" race)

September 2014: Finger Lakes Tri

WEIGHTLOSS: I would love to get back to my low of ~180 (currently 239

So that's me... Happy to be back!

Robert Dorman

Rochester, NY

2014-01-22 2:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
England
Originally posted by JoePetto

Rachel - that's such wonderful news. When is your due date (not smart enough to do the math)?

Thanks :-) Current estimated due date is 7th September. Hubby is a little put out as he was planning on doing a race on 15th September, which will probably be put on hold (he couldn't understand why I couldn't just travel to Amsterdam with our week old baby to support him... I don't think he quite understands what they mean by ESTIMATED due date!)
2014-01-22 7:18 PM
in reply to: chapfallen

User image

Master
Boynton Beach, FL

Originally posted by chapfallen
Originally posted by JoePetto Rachel - that's such wonderful news. When is your due date (not smart enough to do the math)?
Thanks :-) Current estimated due date is 7th September. Hubby is a little put out as he was planning on doing a race on 15th September, which will probably be put on hold (he couldn't understand why I couldn't just travel to Amsterdam with our week old baby to support him... I don't think he quite understands what they mean by ESTIMATED due date!)

Congrats Rachel! I don't think he quite understands what it means to have a newborn either :-)

Although being triathletes, sleep deprivation should be nothing new. 

2014-01-23 9:44 AM
in reply to: Samyg

User image

Extreme Veteran
Congrats Rachel! I hope you feel better soon. It took me to about 18 weeks and then I felt awesome til about half way through my 3rd trimester. I actually biked a lot on my cruiser while my husband ran while pregnant and did an awesome aqua aerobics class. So- there are lots of ways to keep fit. Enjoy the experience!

I have been slacking the past 4 days as I have some minor illness and feel like I am on the hairy edge where if I push it it will take me down- but I think I'm going to start as I can't sit around too long.

2014-01-23 12:47 PM
in reply to: rjdorman

User image

Master
Originally posted by rjdorman

Good morning all!

I was in the mentor program when I first started doing tri's a few years ago, but have fallen out and DESPERATELY NEED TO GET BACK INTO IT!!!

That being said...

NAME: rjdorman (Bob

STORY: I did my first organized run about 6 years ago, then decided that I could actually swim and bike, too, so I was bitten by the triathlon bug!  I have successfully completed several 5ks, and sprint tri's as well as an intermediate/olympic distance tri.  I then completed a half marathon in 2008, but newborn twins, family & life got in the way, and my training dropped off a bit.  2012 was a total flame out year for me and I gained weight, did little to no training, and fell off the wagon so to speak.  In 2013, I attempted one sprint tri, and was really disappointed when the swim was cancelled due to rough water and it turned into a run-bike-run race that just about killed me.  Finished last or second to last, and felt horrible!

FAMILY STATUS: Separated and working toward divorce.  Have 3 beautiful girls, 9 and 5 yr old twins.  Also have a wonderful girlfriend who is a huge inspiration for me: spiritually, nutritionally, and just overall fantastic!

CURRENT TRAINING: Working on a 22 week plan.

THIS YEAR'S RACES:

June 2014: Green Lakes Tri

July 2014: Shoreline Tri

August 2014: triDunkirk (My "A" race)

September 2014: Finger Lakes Tri

WEIGHTLOSS: I would love to get back to my low of ~180 (currently 239

So that's me... Happy to be back!

Robert Dorman

Rochester, NY

Bob - Welcome aboard.
2014-01-23 12:49 PM
in reply to: Moonrocket

User image

Expert
Weather here on the East Coast sucks with an extended forecast of continued sucking for the foreseeable future. I'm ok with the cold, but with ripping wind chills and poor snow removal, it looks like the drainer and dreadmill for the foreseeable future, with some swimming mixed in (but getting the motivation to swim when it's this cold is tough.

About 1x a week I've been doing a 30' run on the treadmill followed immediately by a 60' spin class. The instructors and fellow triathlete who had led the class dropped out and the new instructor is good, but really has no cycling background. If nothing else, 90' of cardio has to be doing something positive.
2014-01-24 3:50 PM

User image

Master
What's everyone's plan for the weekend?

Weather here in Michigan has been unbearable as well. Almost got frostbite today walking across street to get a cup of coffee. I've been working with the Power Cycling newbie group here as I recently got my first power meter. So I've been very diligent in my cycling as there is a coach handing out workouts and in those situations I always feel this weird accountability to the group. So tomorrow morning I have 90 minutes of sweetspot cycling. I've taken a long enough break from running and need to get back on the treadmill Sunday for a few miles or so. Also, my wife dropped the hammer and threatened to shut off the gym membership if I didn't get my a$$ back in the pool. Nothing like an angry wife for motivation. Signed my 4 year old up on my membership last week so she can spend more time in the pool (she takes lessons at a dedicated swim school) and get more comfortable with the water so I will be at the pool on Sunday with her. Prior to that I hope to get to the pool in the AM to swim laps. Made it to the pool to swim laps twice this week. Got to keep it going. I agree, with this frigid cold its a bit of a psychological hurdle to trudge through the snow to the pool.

I'd like to come up with a challenge for February but I want to find a way to make it a balanced and healthy challenge. I think our challenges we have done in the past encouraged destructive training at times. Completely individual decisions, but would like to find a way to encourage us all to train in a balanced fashion during these cold dark months (for some of us!). Thoughts from the gang?
2014-01-24 5:19 PM

User image

Master
Gold Coast Australia.
Not so dark for some of us...
My thoughts on the challenge: it's hard to find a format that would suit everyone. I personally like to spend some time on the water kayaking and while on the. bike or running - go longer than 30 min, but that's me.

It's Saturday here already and it started at 5am with a nice 1hr kayak workout, followed by MTB commuting to the 7am 5k Parkrun and finished with MTB commuting.

Good to see you guys active! Have a great weekend!
2014-01-24 7:01 PM
in reply to: markz

User image

Expert
For the February challenge, how about a consistency theme. 30 minute workout that requires aerobic activity. Swim, run, bike, paddle board, kayak, cross country skiing, elliptical, hot yoga, whatever. Each day with a 30' workout gets you one point - tiebreaker is total cumulative time, Goal would be 28 points for the month.

2014-01-24 10:00 PM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by trisuppo

What's everyone's plan for the weekend?

I'd like to come up with a challenge for February but I want to find a way to make it a balanced and healthy challenge. I think our challenges we have done in the past encouraged destructive training at times. Completely individual decisions, but would like to find a way to encourage us all to train in a balanced fashion during these cold dark months (for some of us!). Thoughts from the gang?

My son has a basketball tournament in Grayling, so I have to drive through the mess tomorrow at zero dark thirty. Sunday I plan a brick,

For the challenge something simple like 30 minutes of 1 of the 3 disciplines every day.
2014-01-24 10:11 PM

User image

Expert
Guatemala

Congratulations Rachel on the wonderful news!

Matthews, great to hear from you again!

Joe, I like your idea of counting any type of 30 min aerobic workout for the challenge, the idea is to get everyone motivated to do something ideally as close to once a day!

On my side I went to get my ITB checked yesterday and was given a shot along with stretching and strengthening exercises.  According to the doc, I should be able to start running in 2 weeks (8-10 day tops in my calendar), so that is good news.

Since I cannot run and I should be training for the Challenge USA, I started the Tour of Sufferlandria with the first indoor trainer workout today (Rubber Glove).  It will get progressively harder and tomorrow it follows with a 2hr drainer workout.  Anyone else doing it?   

2014-01-25 12:10 PM
in reply to: sirgab

User image

Expert
Originally posted by sirgab

Congratulations Rachel on the wonderful news!

Matthews, great to hear from you again!

Joe, I like your idea of counting any type of 30 min aerobic workout for the challenge, the idea is to get everyone motivated to do something ideally as close to once a day!

On my side I went to get my ITB checked yesterday and was given a shot along with stretching and strengthening exercises.  According to the doc, I should be able to start running in 2 weeks (8-10 day tops in my calendar), so that is good news.

Since I cannot run and I should be training for the Challenge USA, I started the Tour of Sufferlandria with the first indoor trainer workout today (Rubber Glove).  It will get progressively harder and tomorrow it follows with a 2hr drainer workout.  Anyone else doing it?   

You gave me the motivation for the Tour of Sufferlandia. Just finished the Rubber Glove FTP.. Do you use Trainerroad in conjunctions with the videos? I do - same user name as BT.
2014-01-25 1:41 PM

User image

Expert
Guatemala

You gave me the motivation for the Tour of Sufferlandia. Just finished the Rubber Glove FTP.. Do you use Trainerroad in conjunctions with the videos? I do - same user name as BT.

Joe, that is great news.  I just did the workout for Day 2, Islagiatt (1:54) and it was really tough for me (and its supposed to get progressively worse, hahaha).  I'm under "trigabe".  I have around 4 Sufferfest videos so not doing the workouts with the videos for the ones I don't have;  just watching a movie or show to focus away from the suffering.

If anyone else wants to joint, there are still 16 hrs left to do the first workout "Rubber Glove" http://www.trainerroad.com/tour-of-sufferlandria

2014-01-25 4:28 PM

User image

Team Trisuppo,
I would like to join the group.

Short Bio: I am eager to participate in a Triathlon for the first time. With the Finland spirit in my blood (Dad is a full Fin) I certainly have Sisu: Determination and fortitude. I've ran 2 Full marathons (Chicago and Detroit) and many halfs. I've been swimming laps at the gym and jumped into Cycle classes. A few years back I heard about the Triathlon on Belle Isle in Detroit and wanted to do it - so June 15th will be the day!
My first Marathon was ran in my first year of Marriage - and my wife has been very supportive since. This past year my 1 year old daughter got to see me in a race and waved her little hand as I passed.

Goals:
My goal is to understand the Triathlon. (There is little to wrap your head around with running but with the gear and transitions of the multi sport, I am lost)
I need to work on strengthening my swim with better breathing, stroke and kick.
Build up my legs for the cycle.
*remain injury free during the training: train hard but smart!

2014-01-25 5:33 PM
in reply to: sisu13

User image

Master
Gold Coast Australia.
Warm welcome to all the new members! Sisu, you will have fun with the triathlon. You can make it as complicated or as simple as you want. Main thing is to enjoy it.

Today was bike-run-swim-run-bike day for me at the running club as we usually celebrate Australia Day this way. It was raining, but we had fun. At least the temp dropped to some normal level. Matthew - Happy Australia Day!
2014-01-25 7:02 PM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by sisu13

Team Trisuppo,

Short Bio: I am eager to participate in a Triathlon for the first time. With the Finland spirit in my blood (Dad is a full Fin) I certainly have Sisu: Determination and fortitude. I've ran 2 Full marathons (Chicago and Detroit) and many halfs. I've been swimming laps at the gym and jumped into Cycle classes. A few years back I heard about the Triathlon on Belle Isle in Detroit and wanted to do it - so June 15th will be the day!
My first Marathon was ran in my first year of Marriage - and my wife has been very supportive since. This past year my 1 year old daughter got to see me in a race and waved her little hand as I passed.

Goals:
My goal is to understand the Triathlon. (There is little to wrap your head around with running but with the gear and transitions of the multi sport, I am lost)

HI Bsisu, Good to have another from the State of Michigan in. Mitch (Trisuppo) has done the Belle Isle tri. I think he's done the half for the Detroit too. I have not been able to do any of the downstate events. I have 4 active teenagers, 3 at home, one in college. I do work with 3D, the company that puts on the Belle Isle tri. I act as the East Tawas liaison for the 3D festival here.
The Sufferfest videos are a great way to build strength on the bike, especially since you won't be able to put rubber to the road until April.
2014-01-26 9:59 AM

User image

Master
Originally posted by sisu13

Team Trisuppo,

Goals:

Glad to have another local. What area of town do you hail from?
2014-01-26 1:49 PM

User image

Expert
Alright Gabe. Stage 2 is in the books. That was brutal. I've never done a trainer ride with a higher ISS rating (160) and was happy with a 249 FTP effort. Getting ready for Revolver tomorrow. There will be pain.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Team Trisuppo - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 34

RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 2, 2011
author : Comet
comments : 0
Beginner Triathlete is proud to announce and feature Team Red, White and Blue as our official charity!

date : November 9, 2010
author : lithelola
comments : 5
A bumbling non-athlete makes her determined way to the Nation's Triathlon finish line!
date : October 2, 2007
author : docgill
Is it possible for loners to work in a small group and still have plenty of time on their own? Training in small groups can give many benefits.

date : January 24, 2005
author : Team BT
Shanna Armstrong’s Journal Entry January 21, 2005 - The Race Across America
date : January 10, 2005
author : trithis
Club or group workouts are very motivating and soon you’ll start feeling like a triathlete, making you less likely to flake out.

date : January 10, 2005
author : JeremyLikness
It's great to have goals, but by itself, a goal is not much. Have you ever shared with someone else that you would “try” to accomplish a goal?
date : December 12, 2004
Ultraman champion, Shanna Armstrong, to ride across USA for science.

date : September 5, 2004
Her IM time of 13 hours and 44 minutes at the Great Floridan allowed her to compete for the USA Triathlon Team in Ibiza, Spain in 2003.