Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 34

2014-01-26 3:50 PM
in reply to: #4917388

User image

Extreme Veteran
England
Subject: RE: Team Trisuppo - OPEN
Well, I managed a run yesterday for the first time in a couple of weeks. I went to my local parkrun and plodded around at the back (literally - I came in 271 out of 275!). It's officially the slowest 5k I've ever done. I came in at just over 40min! I was trying to keep my HR down and was really struggling. But a couple of times when it got up slightly I felt light headed, so I just made myself plod around. It's really hard keeping that discipline when everyone around you is trying for a PR and because I can't explain yet WHY I'm so slow. I know its important and I'm sticking to it carefully, but I can't wait to able to explain myself to people... Considering my min/mile pace was considerably slower than my pace for the outlaw marathon last year, in 90F heat, it's a bit demoralising. I've decided that next time I go I'm going to volunteer as tail-runner, that way I have an excuse for being right at the back.

After I got home I managed to pull something in my mid-back lifting a laundry basket! So I had to miss the swim session as I still couldn't rotate without pain. It seems to be feeling a lot better today but I may go visit my Physio. The last thing I need at the moment is back problems.

Today I am ill, so no training, but I don't really feel like I'm missing much as we had heavy rain and wind all night, then around mid morning it started to snow. Not a great day for getting out there!

2014-01-26 11:03 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Gold Coast Australia.
Good to see another parkrunner here! I found it impossible to go really slow when everybody around treats is as a race and struggles for PB.
Since it's a long weekend here (Australia Day), I went for a ride, maybe 40k and at the end watched open ocean swim + run competition. Didn't enter, because it attracts really good competitors, ex pros and pro wannabies. Recreational athletes would feel out of place among those. I must say though, the ocean swim looked really tempting, big surf and strong wind made it really hard and just surviving it would have felt great. Maybe another time.

Edited by markz 2014-01-27 3:48 AM
2014-01-27 4:50 AM
in reply to: markz

User image

Extreme Veteran
England
Originally posted by markz

Good to see another parkrunner here! I found it impossible to go really slow when everybody around treats is as a race and struggles for PB.
Since it's a long weekend here (Australia Day), I went for a ride, maybe 40k and at the end watched open ocean swim + run competition. Didn't enter, because it attracts really good competitors, ex pros and pro wannabies. Recreational athletes would feel out of place among those. I must say though, the ocean swim looked really tempting, big surf and strong wind made it really hard and just surviving it would have felt great. Maybe another time.

I love the concept of parkrun, and every time I go I remember how friendly and welcoming it is. When our run started there were about 50 people each week and now it's always above 250. Apparently at Bushy last week they had 1100! I wonder how far it will go. I'm told there are now 4 parkruns in the USA, and although the legal side is more likely to cause problems there I think it's just a matter of time before it takes off. Do any of our US-based members have a local parkrun?

That ocean swim sounds awesome and daunting at the same time. I'm not great in waves!
2014-01-27 7:52 AM
in reply to: chapfallen

User image

Expert
Originally posted by chapfallen

Originally posted by markz

I love the concept of parkrun, and every time I go I remember how friendly and welcoming it is. When our run started there were about 50 people each week and now it's always above 250. Apparently at Bushy last week they had 1100! I wonder how far it will go. I'm told there are now 4 parkruns in the USA, and although the legal side is more likely to cause problems there I think it's just a matter of time before it takes off. Do any of our US-based members have a local parkrun?

That ocean swim sounds awesome and daunting at the same time. I'm not great in waves!

I had never heard of it until you and Mark brought it up. Could you explain it? I have a fair guess by the name of it, but I don't want to assume that it is an open run in a park that starts at a designated time.
2014-01-27 9:12 AM
in reply to: #4917388

User image

Expert
Guatemala
Joe, well done on stage 2!
I just did stage 3, Revolver 45 min, and those are 45 the toughest 45 min I have done on a bike, my heart almost came out and my legs are now scared of the trainer! Not looking forward to see what's coming on the next stages, hahaha
2014-01-27 9:22 AM
in reply to: sirgab

User image

Expert
Somewhere in the Swamps of Philly
Originally posted by sirgab

I just did stage 3, Revolver 45 min, and those are 45 the toughest 45 min I have done on a bike, my heart almost came out and my legs are now scared of the trainer! Not looking forward to see what's coming on the next stages, hahaha

I finished Revolver this morning. I could feel the performance drain out of me and my stats show it. Couldnt make the IF goal of 1.0, but made it to .98. Those 16 x 1' segments were beyond difficult. First time I thought I was actually going to hurl while on the trainer. I may need to add a bucket to my set up.

2014-01-27 9:40 AM
in reply to: JoePetto

User image

Expert
Originally posted by JoePetto

I finished Revolver this morning. I could feel the performance drain out of me and my stats show it. Couldnt make the IF goal of 1.0, but made it to .98. Those 16 x 1' segments were beyond difficult. First time I thought I was actually going to hurl while on the trainer. I may need to add a bucket to my set up.

I think its cool that you are doing this. I knew my schedule wouldn't accommodate the tour, but I love the videos. Really, I'm not afraid. The first time I did "There is no Try" I almost threw up.
2014-01-27 2:09 PM

User image

Master
Gold Coast Australia.
Jim, that's exactly what it is. Free open 5k social run in a designated area. Originally a UK concept, now spreading to many other countries. Here they need a local council permit and pay a fee, around $5000.- per location to be able to set it up. Run entirely by volunteers and funded by sponsors (like Adidas).. In my area, within 30km radius, there are now 5 of them! The participation varies from 50 to 350 runners. Biggest ones in Australia attract over 1000 runners as well. Every registered runner has a barcode and timing is done manually by a volunteer and then uploaded on the website, so you get all the statistics if you like. Most people treat it as a race. I love the concept too, not only it is free, but you meet new people and have a chance to chat with the usual friends. We often go for coffee afterwards.
Apparently there is also a small opposition of organisers who charge for their runs and other events, the numbers of their participants is already affected.

Here is the website:
http://www.parkrun.com/

and the latest newsletter with my story... (oh, god here I go again, but it's for a good cause):
http://www.parkrun.com.au/news/

Mark

Edited by markz 2014-01-28 2:51 AM
2014-01-28 6:51 AM
in reply to: markz

User image

Expert
Hell Hath No Fury is in the bag. Not as bad as Revolver. It only gets worse from here.
2014-01-28 8:17 AM

User image

Master

Hell Hath No Fury is in the bag. Not as bad as Revolver. It only gets worse from here.

You're a better man than me! Good job Joe!
2014-01-28 5:12 PM

User image

Expert
Guatemala

I just did day 4, Hell Hath No Fury at lunch and really had to dig deep to finish it.  I'm at work and still dizzy from the effort, and its only day 4 out of 9, not looking great.

BTW, I'm working with a low FTP of 200, but my trainer feels like it has jelly instead of fluid since it is a 13 year old fluid trainer from Performance Bike, so I'm not sure if it is accurate to the amount of effort I feel I'm putting in. I'm supposed to get a new Cycleops trainer at the end of this week so it will be good to see if there is any difference.

2014-01-28 6:44 PM

User image

Expert

I just did day 4, Hell Hath No Fury at lunch and really had to dig deep to finish it.  I'm at work and still dizzy from the effort, and its only day 4 out of 9, not looking great.

BTW, I'm working with a low FTP of 200, but my trainer feels like it has jelly instead of fluid since it is a 13 year old fluid trainer from Performance Bike, so I'm not sure if it is accurate to the amount of effort I feel I'm putting in. I'm supposed to get a new Cycleops trainer at the end of this week so it will be good to see if there is any difference.

Nice job. A new trainer will make such a big difference that you will kick yourself for suffering needlessly.

These workouts are nuts. Tomorrow is Extra Shot followed immediately by the Wretched. Will probably buy the Wretched to keep it interesting. I should have a nice collection of workouts after the tour. The sick part is that part of me actually enjoys the suffering.
2014-01-29 12:48 PM

User image

Expert

Nice job. A new trainer will make such a big difference that you will kick yourself for suffering needlessly.

These workouts are nuts. Tomorrow is Extra Shot followed immediately by the Wretched. Will probably buy the Wretched to keep it interesting. I should have a nice collection of workouts after the tour. The sick part is that part of me actually enjoys the suffering.

The Wretched is my favorite. Mostly because they used me as the model in the beginning, ha ha. That one will kick your butt. I look forward to hearing about it.
2014-01-29 12:59 PM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Expert
Did Extra Shot this morning and immediately followed with the Wretched. Wretched was a really good video and I enjoyed being mocked by the narration. The video of the TdF was awesome and riding up Alp d'Huez with Cadel Evans and Jens Voigt was pretty cool and worthy of an audible "Shut Up Legs!" followed by a slew of four letter words. Only four more days of suffering.
2014-01-29 1:29 PM

User image

Master
Are you guys rocking a power meter or using virtual power based off your trainers? Just being curious?

I had Santa get me one for Christmas and I am loving the honesty its creating for me in my workouts. Can't wait to ride outside with it once we thaw.
2014-01-29 2:24 PM
in reply to: trisuppo

User image

Expert
Originally posted by trisuppo

Are you guys rocking a power meter or using virtual power based off your trainers? Just being curious?

I had Santa get me one for Christmas and I am loving the honesty its creating for me in my workouts. Can't wait to ride outside with it once we thaw.

I use virtual power since I'm too cheap to buy a real meter. The power curve on the Kinetic trainer is pretty stable so the virtual number is probably 80-85% accurate, which is good enough for me. As long as the baseline is constant, improvement is easy to measure.

Can't say enough good things about trainerroad. It is the poor man's Computrainer. I've been with them since the beta version and pay something crazy like $6 month. Adds a lot to painful drainer time and the integration with Sufferfest and other vids are seamless.

2014-01-29 9:31 PM

User image

Expert
Guatemala

Originally posted by JoePetto Did Extra Shot this morning and immediately followed with the Wretched. Wretched was a really good video and I enjoyed being mocked by the narration. The video of the TdF was awesome and riding up Alp d'Huez with Cadel Evans and Jens Voigt was pretty cool and worthy of an audible "Shut Up Legs!" followed by a slew of four letter words. Only four more days of suffering.

Kuddos to you Joe, you seem to still be going strong!

Today's workouts kicked my butt.  I did Extra Shot with no warm-up and it as tough.  Then took about 20 minutes in between workouts to drop my girls at the bus stop, but even with that little break, my legs were begging for the Wretched to come to an end.  Later on at work, I was having tremors from the flashbacks from today's workouts, and we are only on day 5... 

Mitch, like Joe, I also only use virtual power through TrainerRoad, which is a great, really affordable tool, to become acquainted with training with power.  Have you seen some improvements/fitness gains while training with your new power meter?

2014-01-30 7:13 AM

User image

Expert
Stage 6 - A Very Dark Place - proved to be true to its name. 6 x 4' sets at like 120% of FTP brought me to me knees along with dry heaves. 3 more days - next stage Angels back to back with the Hunted.
2014-01-30 9:02 AM

User image

Master

Mitch, like Joe, I also only use virtual power through TrainerRoad, which is a great, really affordable tool, to become acquainted with training with power.  Have you seen some improvements/fitness gains while training with your new power meter?

I think the answer is that as long as your training (w/power) comes from a consistent set of #s you are okay. I train on a kurt kinetic as well. What I like is not having to worry of my tire is at the same psi or if the resistance is cranked down the same as the last time. Also, since I haven't used trainerroad I was always having to have a handy cheatsheet that crossed speed on my bike to power to %FTP for my workouts.

Now I don't ever look at speed and don't worry as much on my setup of the trainer. I also look forward to the same power #s indoors transferring to outdoors. I've been using the Cycleops virtual training app and am looking forward to testing outs its functionality where I can virtually climb alpe d'huez or mount ventoux, etc.

Finally, to get around to answering your question, I've been training with the new power meter since around Jan. 1st. I think the power training group I'm in has testing next week. We will see. The caveat is that I was coming down with the flu when I did the 20 min power test and ultimately estimated my 20 min power # to arrive at a CP or FTP #. we were using the 5 min and 20 min test protocol to calculate CP. I will say that I am learning a lot. Its all good!
2014-01-30 9:10 AM

User image

Master
February Challenge:

We're going to go old school. Add your name to the list if you are interested in participating. Simple rules. Every day that you workout for at least 30 minutes in S/B/R you get a point. You will also tally up your total S/B/R minutes each day as the month progresses. Maximum workout points is therefore 28. If two or more participants have 28 points at the end of the month the tiebreaker is total minutes worked out.

I'm not a dictator so open for any input over the day for tweaks.

Mitch 0 0:00:00

Edited by trisuppo 2014-01-30 9:11 AM
2014-01-30 12:42 PM

User image

Expert
Guatemala

Again, I really struggled to get through day 6, A Very Dark Place.  To make the nightmare worse, I did not get a confirmation after I finished that I had completed the workout and all I got was there was a problem uploading my workout (I could not entertain the thought of having to do it again).  Fortunately it is now fixed and officially in the books.  Not looking forward to tomorrow

2014-01-30 2:44 PM
in reply to: trisuppo

User image

Expert
I'm in, and ready for kickin' it old school.

Jim 0 0:00:00
2014-01-30 2:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Okay- I'm totally clueless- but I've always wondered- how do these videos work? Do you need a power meter or something, or could you just do it with a spin bike? Is it a download? What are they like? Are there easier ones to start with?

I need to start biking (although with 18" of fresh snow in the past 24 hours it's not going to be this weekend!)
2014-01-30 2:47 PM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Extreme Veteran
I'll give it a go- is it limited to S/B/R or does can cross country skiing substitute for running?

Kate 0 0:00:00
2014-01-30 3:30 PM
in reply to: Moonrocket

User image

Expert
Guatemala

Also in but am worried that if I survive going through the last stage of the Tour of Sufferlandria, I may need a week off to recover

Kate 0 0:00:00
Gabe 0 0:00:00

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Team Trisuppo - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 34

RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 2, 2011
author : Comet
comments : 0
Beginner Triathlete is proud to announce and feature Team Red, White and Blue as our official charity!

date : November 9, 2010
author : lithelola
comments : 5
A bumbling non-athlete makes her determined way to the Nation's Triathlon finish line!
date : October 2, 2007
author : docgill
Is it possible for loners to work in a small group and still have plenty of time on their own? Training in small groups can give many benefits.

date : January 24, 2005
author : Team BT
Shanna Armstrong’s Journal Entry January 21, 2005 - The Race Across America
date : January 10, 2005
author : trithis
Club or group workouts are very motivating and soon you’ll start feeling like a triathlete, making you less likely to flake out.

date : January 10, 2005
author : JeremyLikness
It's great to have goals, but by itself, a goal is not much. Have you ever shared with someone else that you would “try” to accomplish a goal?
date : December 12, 2004
Ultraman champion, Shanna Armstrong, to ride across USA for science.

date : September 5, 2004
Her IM time of 13 hours and 44 minutes at the Great Floridan allowed her to compete for the USA Triathlon Team in Ibiza, Spain in 2003.