General Discussion Triathlon Talk » struggling being a triathlete in my early 20s.. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-02-16 6:28 PM

User image

Subject: struggling being a triathlete in my early 20s..
i absolutely love the sport of triathlon. i'm turning 22 this year and did my first triathlon when i was 20. My love for the sport grows by the hour it seems. [except in the winer! ]

my only down fall is having no one my age (in my area at least) that's into the sport. I'm part of the triathlon club here in the St. Louis area and even all of them are namely older (30+). My mom and my 2 cousins, and my uncle (all 35 or above) are also strongly into triathlon..and its awesome! i dont want to sound like i'm complaining at all, because i love what i have. It's just sometimes i get a little bummed out when i have no one my age to train with, or even talk about triathlon to. Always nice to have someone your age to train and be friends with!

i guess thats the end of my rant..anybody ever had this problem?

2014-02-16 6:47 PM
in reply to: calebTris

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC
Subject: RE: struggling being a triathlete in my early 20s..

get used to it for a long time. im in the sub 30 club and there just isn't a lot of people who are competing in that AG.  if you are looking for training partners then don't be afraid to look for someone who isn't your age.  I know a lot of great runners and cyclist who are older than me and train with them a lot.  

if the only think you don't like or you think is causing you to struggle is solo training then get out and join some group rides/runs or masters swim sessions.

2014-02-16 6:53 PM
in reply to: Clempson

User image

you must of misunderstood what i said. i'm apart of the triathlon community and regularly train with my family and the members of that club. i was only stating that it would be nice to have someone my age in the sport. maybe my subject line is deceiving.
2014-02-16 7:12 PM

User image

Regular
Portland, Oregon
Post in your appropriate state forum...see if there is anyone there.
At your next local race, chat up everyone in your AG.
Post something on craigslist, meetup.
Post fliers at bike shops and running trails.

If all that fails, recruit your friend's. Join a running club, recruit them.

Sorry man. Unless you are in a town of 10, seems like you just gotta try a little harder. I bet they are out there.
2014-02-16 7:17 PM
in reply to: dfroelich

User image

i must live in a town of 10 then.
2014-02-16 7:20 PM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC

i didn't misunderstand, i was telling you how it is and to deal with it. you can't choose the competition. get out there and train with those you can if you need a partner or go it alone.

2014-02-16 7:21 PM

User image

Try getting people at your job or school interested in them. That's how I got involved. 2 guys at work were doing marathons and triathlons. 3 years ago I decided to do a marathon and ~1.5 years ago I signed up for my first tri. I'm really into them now...maybe too much but I know when I was in my early 20's, I was more interested in drinking, going out, and putting in extra hours at a stupid job to make myself look better when I hated the place and ended up quitting anyway. Life....live and learn
2014-02-16 7:28 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by Clempson

i didn't misunderstand, i was telling you how it is and to deal with it. you can't choose the competition. get out there and train with those you can if you need a partner or go it alone.

Edited by calebTris 2014-02-16 7:33 PM
2014-02-16 7:30 PM
in reply to: Blastman

User image

oh i do try! i just deal w/ what i have..which is nothing to complain about
2014-02-16 8:14 PM

User image

Lincoln, Nebraska

Originally posted by calebTris i absolutely love the sport of triathlon. i'm turning 22 this year and did my first triathlon when i was 20. My love for the sport grows by the hour it seems. [except in the winer! ] my only down fall is having no one my age (in my area at least) that's into the sport. I'm part of the triathlon club here in the St. Louis area and even all of them are namely older (30+). My mom and my 2 cousins, and my uncle (all 35 or above) are also strongly into triathlon..and its awesome! i dont want to sound like i'm complaining at all, because i love what i have. It's just sometimes i get a little bummed out when i have no one my age to train with, or even talk about triathlon to. Always nice to have someone your age to train and be friends with! i guess thats the end of my rant..anybody ever had this problem?

I didn't have this problem, but when I was in my 20's it was hard to find friends who would jog, bike, or in line skate, or do anything that might cause a sweat. I wasn't into triathlon back then, just needed to burn off the beer calories.  People in that age category are just into other things - like the bar scene, and typically don't have a lot of extra cash to spend on triathlon.  So it will be slim pickings.  You can always overlap your sports - join a sand volleyball team (that's more the 20 something crowd). Then after the game, over beers, convince them to sign up for a 5k and perhaps eventually a triathlon. :-)

Edited by crissy_jo 2014-02-16 8:16 PM
2014-02-16 8:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Acworth, GA
Just be patient. Soon enough you will be in your mid-30's or early 40's and will have the biggest AG to contend with and wonder where all these fast dudes have been for the past 15 years.....There will be plenty of folks to train with at that point.

2014-02-16 8:32 PM
in reply to: crissy_jo

User image

Originally posted by crissy_jo

Originally posted by calebTris i absolutely love the sport of triathlon. i'm turning 22 this year and did my first triathlon when i was 20. My love for the sport grows by the hour it seems. [except in the winer! ] my only down fall is having no one my age (in my area at least) that's into the sport. I'm part of the triathlon club here in the St. Louis area and even all of them are namely older (30+). My mom and my 2 cousins, and my uncle (all 35 or above) are also strongly into triathlon..and its awesome! i dont want to sound like i'm complaining at all, because i love what i have. It's just sometimes i get a little bummed out when i have no one my age to train with, or even talk about triathlon to. Always nice to have someone your age to train and be friends with! i guess thats the end of my rant..anybody ever had this problem?

I didn't have this problem, but when I was in my 20's it was hard to find friends who would jog, bike, or in line skate, or do anything that might cause a sweat. I wasn't into triathlon back then, just needed to burn off the beer calories.  People in that age category are just into other things - like the bar scene, and typically don't have a lot of extra cash to spend on triathlon.  So it will be slim pickings.  You can always overlap your sports - join a sand volleyball team (that's more the 20 something crowd). Then after the game, over beers, convince them to sign up for a 5k and perhaps eventually a triathlon. :-)

solid idea!
2014-02-17 6:05 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
The same 20 something who can be convinced to do a warrior dash or Spartan can be talked into a tri, but you have to convince them that you will help them get through the swim, and that they can either use their crappy bike or borrow a bike to get through the bike. People still equate triathlon with Ironman, and are justifiably daunted.
2014-02-17 6:13 AM

User image

Regular
Aalborg, Denmark
I'm 24 and writing my Master's thesis. It's true that not many our age do tri. In my experience it's because of a lack of ambition and a lack of money. Lots of people do running. Triathlon is a very expensive sport, so who can really fault them...

I did my first HIM when I was 23 and my first marathon when I was 22. I'll be doing my first ironman in August but whether or not I'll be one of the younger ones I do not know. Probably?

I think it's pretty much our last chance to feel young. I've always been doing sports and I've always been good at them. It was a weird feeling reaching an age where people younger than myself were suddenly a lot better than me. Beforehand I could always look up to professional athletes and think "Yeah, I could do that if I trained!", but now it's too late and people younger than myself are winning OL medals and being crazy

Edited by Dnn 2014-02-17 6:14 AM
2014-02-17 6:33 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
You may struggle to find triathletes your age, but I bet you can find runners, cyclists and swimmers your age. Talk to your LBS and find out if they have a team, join them for training and do TT's with them (you probably already have the bike for it! and being a triathlete, you do have the skills for it).
2014-02-17 7:15 AM
in reply to: audiojan

User image

It's partially the nature of the beast. Triathlons are not as popular as some other sports so it's always going to be a bit tough to find training partners. I live in a small town in Northern Ontario and so I do all my training on my own. There is a group in a city not far from me but it's hard for me to get in. I guess I've just gotten used to it. I do think it hurts me because it's easier to be pushed when others are around and also it's more fun so you tend to do it longer. You do what you gotta do.

2014-02-17 9:38 AM
in reply to: b2run

User image

Veteran
Seattle, Washington
I started tris at 22, now 27 and have finally found friends who are also into Triathlons. Before that, I had different training partners for each sport, and they were all over 30. Learned so much! I suggest, like someone else, find a running group. Usually you can find a younger crowd there, and I bet you can convince some of them to do a tri. And definitely chat up those in your AG at the next race you do.

Plus, enjoy that 20-24 AG as long as you can. That'll be the easiest AG you'll see for a couple decades. I'm hoping to enjoy my last two seasons in the 25-29 AG before getting bumped into the even more competitive ones.
2014-02-17 10:58 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I think that people should have the freedom to post on this forum and get more helpful information than telling them "how it is. Deal with it." He posed a legitimate struggle and your responses come across as pretty misguided and unhelpful.

Even from a third party perspective, it looked to me like you didn't even read his post, either.

Just advice for the next time.

Edited by lifejustice 2014-02-17 11:01 AM
2014-02-17 11:07 AM
in reply to: lifejustice

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by lifejustice

I think that people should have the freedom to post on this forum and get more helpful information than telling them "how it is. Deal with it." He posed a legitimate struggle and your responses come across as pretty misguided and unhelpful. Even from a third party perspective, it looked to me like you didn't even read his post, either. Just advice for the next time.

...but that is how it is. The sport can be very lonely for people our age. If you don't like training solo it might not be the best sport for you. You can find plenty of older folks to train with though, and often they have a lot to teach you.

2014-02-17 11:37 AM

User image

New user
Manassas, Virginia
Originally posted by calebTris
my only down fall is having no one my age (in my area at least) that's into the sport. I'm part of the triathlon club here in the St. Louis area and even all of them are namely older (30+). My mom and my 2 cousins, and my uncle (all 35 or above) are also strongly into triathlon..and its awesome! i dont want to sound like i'm complaining at all, because i love what i have. It's just sometimes i get a little bummed out when i have no one my age to train with, or even talk about triathlon to. Always nice to have someone your age to train and be friends with!

i guess thats the end of my rant..anybody ever had this problem?

Bro, that's what BT is for!
2014-02-17 11:42 AM

User image

Elite

hmmm I started in the sport 14 years ago at 26 (yes, now 40!) and always trained with folks ages 35-50.  Does it really matter, unless you're looking to pick someone up or to go out to bars with?  I don't know, my friends are all still varied in ages, from 25-60, and I love them all.  I had my tri friends and my non-tri friends in my 20s. Just kind of how it is.

2014-02-17 11:44 AM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Pro

Originally posted by dmiller5

Originally posted by lifejustice

I think that people should have the freedom to post on this forum and get more helpful information than telling them "how it is. Deal with it." He posed a legitimate struggle and your responses come across as pretty misguided and unhelpful. Even from a third party perspective, it looked to me like you didn't even read his post, either. Just advice for the next time.

...but that is how it is. The sport can be very lonely for people our age. If you don't like training solo it might not be the best sport for you. You can find plenty of older folks to train with though, and often they have a lot to teach you.

Agreed that there isn't much wrong with saying "That's how it is. Deal with it." Because sometimes, well, that's how it is. The poster DID offer some ideas as well. A really awesome asset to BT got banned a while back for commenting that "no one cares" or something similar. 

This forum isn't very tough-love friendly.

back on topic...

I agree with those that said find a running club - tons of young runners out there... and socialize at events that you do go to. It can be tough and awkward to just go up to strangers and talk, but an opening line like "Hey! You're in my AG! Nice race out there today - you looked super fast on the bike - we should ride together sometime." can really open doors.

Or, find a non-tri-event like kickball of volleyball as another poster recommended.

I can understand wanting friends your age, but as you get a little older, you'll realize that age is a number. I'm 28 and have friends who are 50+. 

2014-02-17 11:56 AM
in reply to: ratherbeswimming

User image

Regular
Evansville, Indiana
I was in the same situation as the OP. I just turned 25 and there are very few people around my age doing tris in my area. It took me a year of searching but I finally found a training partner my age. I recently started working at a gym and it just so happens that one of the trainers there just happened to be a fellow triathlete and is only a couple years younger and happens to be training for IM Louisville.

Don't get me wrong I love all of my older tri friends, my best friend is actually 46 and I have learned so much from him so far but it is nice so train with people your own age that have similar tastes and interests as you.
2014-02-17 12:00 PM
in reply to: ratherbeswimming

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by ratherbeswimming

I can understand wanting friends your age, but as you get a little older, you'll realize that age is a number. I'm 28 and have friends who are 50+. 

x2
Help us understand the importance (important enough for you to dedicate a thread to this topic) of having training partners who are exactly your age? What's the value they give that you can't get with someone older? 

If triathlon is what brings training partners together, other aspects of life (age, kids, profession, etc.) have very little bearing, in my experience. I also started in my 20s and most of the people I trained with were much older. It had zero impact on our friendship/relationship and I actually learned so much more from them than my buddies who were my age at the time. 

My advice would be to not worry about something as inconsequential as age, and focus on the diverse backgrounds and what you can learn from the people you CAN train with.

2014-02-17 12:05 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Veteran
Seattle, Washington
Originally posted by lisac957

Originally posted by ratherbeswimming

x2
Help us understand the importance (important enough for you to dedicate a thread to this topic) of having training partners who are exactly your age? What's the value they give that you can't get with someone older? 

If triathlon is what brings training partners together, other aspects of life (age, kids, profession, etc.) have very little bearing, in my experience. I also started in my 20s and most of the people I trained with were much older. It had zero impact on our friendship/relationship and I actually learned so much more from them than my buddies who were my age at the time. 

My advice would be to not worry about something as inconsequential as age, and focus on the diverse backgrounds and what you can learn from the people you CAN train with.

I so agree! My best friend (and cycling partner) is 10 years older than me. Welcome to your 20s and learning age is just a number.

I do understand, as I have struggled with that before, but you will find those people over time.

Plus, now you have all of us!! Good luck!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » struggling being a triathlete in my early 20s.. Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Beginner- I am struggling with swimming.

Started by Freakyone
Views: 5334 Posts: 23

2011-03-06 2:49 PM Jon bovi

-20s/100m with wetsuit?

Started by sdparker
Views: 688 Posts: 4

2010-08-09 2:42 PM mrandell

Hydration for Early A.M. Swims

Started by PeterAK
Views: 691 Posts: 9

2006-04-25 3:40 PM akabak

Need motivation for early am workouts

Started by nell1217
Views: 1371 Posts: 14

2005-06-28 5:12 PM trimom3

Running early in the AM Pages: 1 2

Started by Madlevi
Views: 1677 Posts: 29

2005-01-29 11:46 AM apenton
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 22, 2011
author : writingrunner
comments : 1
Where to find the time WITHOUT getting up early

date : March 17, 2011
author : Kyle Pawlaczyk
comments : 5
Being a pro triathlete is even more boring than you might have thought
date : January 14, 2011
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
Scott Tinley on working to play, or playing at work.

date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.
date : September 24, 2007
author : mrakes1
Discussions on salt tablets, AM workout nutrition, coffee, post workout nutrition, whey powder, recovery nutrition, losing weight, Recoverite usage, the necessity of sugars and snack ideas.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.
date : April 2, 2006
author : acbadger
I have been able to swim 200-300 yards without stopping for the past couple of weeks, but this morning I couldn’t swim more than 50. Could not eating make a big differance?

date : January 1, 2006
author : c.krishnan
We must all be aware that success attained in one single effort will have only a short span of life. Because success achieved without any strain or struggle cannot last long.