General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How fast is Gomez and the ITU circuit? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2014-04-09 9:02 AM
in reply to: gsmacleod

User image

Miami
Subject: RE: How fast is Gomez and the ITU circuit?
Gomez Noya is our (I am from Spain) best triathlete ever! And the future is covered with Mola, whom some try to compare to Javier. Mola is not there yet and he needs to accomplish A LOT more to even be mentioned with the Brownlees and Javier, but I like a lot what I am seeing from him so far. This could be a breakout season for him, but I don't think he can compete for the world title yet.

Anyways, all of them are beasts!

2014-04-09 9:14 AM
in reply to: bcagle25

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by bcagle25

Originally posted by marcag

Originally posted by Left Brain

I'm amazed at how dominant they are.  I figured by now someone would be challenging them.......I don't see anyone coming yet.

To think they only swim 25k per week, bike 350 and run 100k, yes, 60 miles per week

Quality over quantity. And at the intensity they do some of their workouts, that is plenty.

I completely agree.

What I poorly highlighted was that I find the % of time swimming to be low compared to the run volume IMO.

We all have different opinions on what the optimal balance is based on the type of event we are doing, our strength/weakness and where we are in our development.

2014-04-09 10:24 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan

I completely agree.

What I poorly highlighted was that I find the % of time swimming to be low compared to the run volume IMO.

We all have different opinions on what the optimal balance is based on the type of event we are doing, our strength/weakness and where we are in our development.

Back of napkin math (numbers are close but not quite right and uses some pace estimates based on your training numbers)

Training time per week:

22% swim

52% bike

26% run

Race time:

18% swim

52% bike

30% run

This would suggest to me that they may be over-training the swim

I find when I am training, that the weekly percent of time I spend on each discipline is very close to the percent of time I expect to spend on each segment of the race (one of the reasons I am swimming more in training is that I suck at it so I have to match my race percentage......)

As you said, there are varying opinions on optimal balance.

Edited by wannabefaster 2014-04-09 10:40 AM
2014-04-09 10:34 AM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Exton, PA

I'm amazed at how dominant they are.  I figured by now someone would be challenging them.......I don't see anyone coming yet.

To think they only swim 25k per week, bike 350 and run 100k, yes, 60 miles per week

I work with someone who used to be an elite runner. He told me 80 miles per week was his limit for running. Basically if he did any more he risked injury. He said some other guys would run a little more but it was an individual thing, as any injury would slow them down a lot more than losing a couple miles a week.
2014-04-09 10:53 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by bcagle25

Quality over quantity. And at the intensity they do some of their workouts, that is plenty.
I completely agree. What I poorly highlighted was that I find the % of time swimming to be low compared to the run volume IMO. We all have different opinions on what the optimal balance is based on the type of event we are doing, our strength/weakness and where we are in our development.

So, what dfoes MacMillan say they should be able to run a marathon in based on a 30:00 10K off the bike?  I'm going to go with 2:30 - 2:36.  Not bad for only running 60 mpw huh?  I'm sticking with the idea that the 1.2 million yards they swim per year helps just a little with that.

2014-04-09 11:15 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Extreme Veteran
So, what dfoes MacMillan say they should be able to run a marathon in based on a 30:00 10K off the bike?  I'm going to go with 2:30 - 2:36.  Not bad for only running 60 mpw huh?  I'm sticking with the idea that the 1.2 million yards they swim per year helps just a little with that.

I completely disagree. Their swimming volume has little to nothing to do with their run speed. Their run volume/lintensity has to do with their running.

2014-04-09 11:21 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Originally posted by Left Brain So, what dfoes MacMillan say they should be able to run a marathon in based on a 30:00 10K off the bike?  I'm going to go with 2:30 - 2:36.  Not bad for only running 60 mpw huh?  I'm sticking with the idea that the 1.2 million yards they swim per year helps just a little with that.
I completely disagree. Their swimming volume has little to nothing to do with their run speed. Their run volume/lintensity has to do with their running.

This is starting to branch off into a debate that I've wanted to see.  LB has made the comment a few times that swimming a massive amount can help out with running to the point that even the average AG should consider forsaking their mileage in favor of swimming more.

I'm not saying he's right or wrong, but the question he asked me stuck with me.  He basically asked how much running would I need to do to knock even 10secs off my 5k compared to how much swimming to make my 750 swim faster.  In the act of training up my swim, how much overall fitness do I lose?  Of course I don't lose any, but do I lose run speed?

It's definitely a different approach that I found interesting at least.

2014-04-09 11:34 AM

The swimming is unlikely to help significantly with running standalone marathons, unfortunately. I would say that the aerobic capacity from swimming would definitely help with 5k-HM distances, where you do a lot of VO2-level intensity. But at the marathon distance, unless you've specifically trained the legs to handle that kind of distance, forget about it. 

The standalone marathon, even when raced to the max of your ability, is running significantly SLOWER than threshold pace, unlike 5k-10k, or even half-marathon (for the fast guys, at least.) You don't bonk out because you're so out of breath. You bonk out because your legs give up, even if you're breathing easy.

Your legs' ability to deal with the hammering of 26.2 miles is the limiter. Even amongst elites, while their overall aerobic baseline and speed is faster, their marathon performance is not limited by their aerobic capacity as it would be in 5k-HM. 

As for triathletes trying to improve their sprint-oly-HIM times, I think it's completely reasonable and possible that one can have aerobic gains from swimming x-over to helping some with the running/cycling. 

Edited by yazmaster 2014-04-09 11:35 AM
2014-04-09 11:56 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Left Brain So, what dfoes MacMillan say they should be able to run a marathon in based on a 30:00 10K off the bike?  I'm going to go with 2:30 - 2:36.  Not bad for only running 60 mpw huh?  I'm sticking with the idea that the 1.2 million yards they swim per year helps just a little with that.

I know you do, but I think you are wroing.  The fact is, very few people actually do any high intensity swim training.  I would venture a guess that most AG triathletes swim less than 7500 per week.  To top it off, most people who do triathlon concentrate more on technique than swimmoing fast, and rightfully so for the overwhelming majority.  I'm talking about swimming that gets you 1,000,000 plus yards per year.  I'm talking about swimming that brings you to your aerobic threshold throughout the workout.  100's all out over and over......kick sets of 2500 - 3000 yards on 1:30.

I was advised very early on to get my kid (just starting with the idea that he wanted to do triathlon, a true beginner) into a high intensoty swim program and forget the running miles.  I was advised to find someone who would work with him on technique and building speed, and forget the long miles... "the engine will get built in the swimming" is what i was told.  It was contrary to everything I knew about running (yeah, I ran just a bit in my day).

The running mileage had been brought on very slowly.....and like I said, he has yet to run 30 miles in a week.....but he swims 30-40K religiously, and he does his drills and speed work religiously, and yeah, he runs some easy miles as well.  We're only 2.5 years in to what I was not sure was a good program, and the kid is running times that put him in the 2nd tier of high school elite runners.......with basically 3 track seasons to go.  I still don't think he runs enough.....but his times continue to drop.  Yeah, now that he is getting close to done growing his mileage is SLOWLY being advanced......but there is NO WAY IN HELL he could run the times he does without the swim work he does.  There is nothing you can say to convince me otherwise.....I watch it.

There are others, on this board, who have drastically upped their swim volume and seen huge imporvements in ther run....fisherman and dmiller as examples.

60 mpw is not much running to hit sub 30:00 10K's.....but the Brownless do it with a good mix of high intensity running, high intensity swimming, and some easy miles.

Three years ago I would have been in your camp......not today.  Not with the amount of runnig injury I see at the AG level, coupled with some far less than mediocre swimming.  Speed is speed.....holding speed is endurance.  You can build a massive amount of endurance with swimming if done properly.

Edited by Left Brain 2014-04-09 11:59 AM
2014-04-09 12:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I know you do, but I think you are wroing.  The fact is, very few people actually do any high intensity swim training.  I would venture a guess that most AG triathletes swim less than 7500 per week.  To top it off, most people who do triathlon concentrate more on technique than swimmoing fast, and rightfully so for the overwhelming majority.  I'm talking about swimming that gets you 1,000,000 plus yards per year.  I'm talking about swimming that brings you to your aerobic threshold throughout the workout.  100's all out over and over......kick sets of 2500 - 3000 yards on 1:30.

I was advised very early on to get my kid (just starting with the idea that he wanted to do triathlon, a true beginner) into a high intensoty swim program and forget the running miles.  I was advised to find someone who would work with him on technique and building speed, and forget the long miles... "the engine will get built in the swimming" is what i was told.  It was contrary to everything I knew about running (yeah, I ran just a bit in my day).

The running mileage had been brought on very slowly.....and like I said, he has yet to run 30 miles in a week.....but he swims 30-40K religiously, and he does his drills and speed work religiously, and yeah, he runs some easy miles as well.  We're only 2.5 years in to what I was not sure was a good program, and the kid is running times that put him in the 2nd tier of high school elite runners.......with basically 3 track seasons to go.  I still don't think he runs enough.....but his times continue to drop.  Yeah, now that he is getting close to done growing his mileage is SLOWLY being advanced......but there is NO WAY IN HELL he could run the times he does without the swim work he does.  There is nothing you can say to convince me otherwise.....I watch it.

There are others, on this board, who have drastically upped their swim volume and seen huge imporvements in ther run....fisherman and dmiller as examples.

60 mpw is not much running to hit sub 30:00 10K's.....but the Brownless do it with a good mix of high intensity running, high intensity swimming, and some easy miles.

Three years ago I would have been in your camp......not today.  Not with the amount of runnig injury I see at the AG level, coupled with some far less than mediocre swimming.  Speed is speed.....holding speed is endurance.  You can build a massive amount of endurance with swimming if done properly.

It's all a question of balance and where you are in your development.
If you are swimming 7500yards per week (say 3hours) and running 60 miles per week (say 8 hours), you are off balance. Even more off balance if you are racing Oly or less.

Gomez, as per Jason's post, sounds pretty balanced.

Based on the numbers you have shown, JR is off balance, but I suspect there are VERY good reasons for him to be so off balance. But those reasons do not apply to AG triathletes.

All 3 sports require intensity. If you are doing 7500 yds of slow swimming, you are not balancing your swim correctly. If you are riding in Z2 all the time, you are not balancing your bike correctly.

You look at Jr and try to apply this to AG racing. I believe it is very different. That ton of hours Jr is putting into swimming, at the expense of the other sports is an investment. The right investment. He is going to develop into a draft legal elite triathlete. With no swim, he is doomed. With a bad swim, there is no bike or run, it's game over. He has to swim fast and to do so, should do a ton of swimming. It is the right thing for a 16 yo elite in developement. But it is not the right thing for a non drafting AG triathlete.

Yes, even though he runs little and swim a ton he runs faster. That does not mean Joe AGer will. Fisherman and Dave have stated they do not know if it's the swimming that made them faster runners. They swam more, they ran more, they got faster at both. Many studies on specificity show it DOES NOT carry over.

To become really good at something, swim, bike or run, there is a concept of efficiency. And there is only one way to build efficiency, it's to do the specificity of that sport. Cycling efficiency, ie the ability to generate X watts at a given VO2 level only comes with cycling. The ability to run at X m/s at a given VO2 level only comes with running. Swimming technique only comes with swimming. Cycling efficiency comes from a ton of cycling.

Edited by marcag 2014-04-09 12:18 PM
2014-04-09 12:33 PM

Again, LB, while you son is clearly an outstanding athlete, and super fast at running - 

He has yet to run a marathon. 

No doubt with proper training, he will also be a beast at the marathon, but there is no way he will hit his "mcmillan target' potential, say if you plug in his 5k/10k race time in and get the marathon estimate back, on his current low-mileage run training. 

He will still run faster than the vast majority of people, sure, because of clearly hugely advantageous genetics, but he would get CRUSHED by similarly genetically-equipped pure runners who ran the typical 70-100mpw compared to his triathlon training @ 30mpw running. 

Now, his training sounds spot-on for ITU and short-course racing, where your aerobic engine will be more of a limiter in most cases at that level. (You're not running so far that your legs completely give out.) So of course, building the engine, through swimming, would work for x-over to other sports to some degree. However, this strategy will not work as well for longer distances (HIM-marathon), and in particular, if you're talking full marathon, it will likely fail completely. Your sons marathon performance will almost all reflect his run training (with some bike x-over), but none of the swim training effect, as he will never go hard enough in the marathon to need that level of aerobic fitness. 

Edited by yazmaster 2014-04-09 12:41 PM

2014-04-09 12:35 PM

User image

Pro

It's all a question of balance and where you are in your development. If you are swimming 7500yards per week (say 3hours) and running 60 miles per week (say 8 hours), you are off balance. Even more off balance if you are racing Oly or less. Gomez, as per Jason's post, sounds pretty balanced. Based on the numbers you have shown, JR is off balance, but I suspect there are VERY good reasons for him to be so off balance. But those reasons do not apply to AG triathletes. All 3 sports require intensity. If you are doing 7500 yds of slow swimming, you are not balancing your swim correctly. If you are riding in Z2 all the time, you are not balancing your bike correctly. You look at Jr and try to apply this to AG racing. I believe it is very different. That ton of hours Jr is putting into swimming, at the expense of the other sports is an investment. The right investment. He is going to develop into a draft legal elite triathlete. With no swim, he is doomed. With a bad swim, there is no bike or run, it's game over. He has to swim fast and to do so, should do a ton of swimming. It is the right thing for a 16 yo elite in developement. But it is not the right thing for a non drafting AG triathlete. Yes, even though he runs little and swim a ton he runs faster. That does not mean Joe AGer will. Fisherman and Dave have stated they do not know if it's the swimming that made them faster runners. They swam more, they ran more, they got faster at both. Many studies on specificity show it DOES NOT carry over. To become really good at something, swim, bike or run, there is a concept of efficiency. And there is only one way to build efficiency, it's to do the specificity of that sport. Cycling efficiency, ie the ability to generate X watts at a given VO2 level only comes with cycling. The ability to run at X m/s at a given VO2 level only comes with running. Swimming technique only comes with swimming. Cycling efficiency comes from a ton of cycling.

But they all build the engine, right?  I don't agree that the same type program won't work for AG'ers.....first, they don't swim.....second, they don't know how to run, and there are more effecient ways to learning to run better than "just run more" with the same problems.

Most people say that to run faster you have to run more.  The truth is, you have to run faster more.(since you used them, the Brownlee's are a great example)  I believe you can run faster by doing it more and save miles on your legs (help prevent injury), and build endurance, by swimming A LOT more.

It's funny.  My kid doesn't do the track workouts the other kids do.  He gets his workouts from a coach who takes into account all he is doing.  He runs much less and is MUCH faster than his teammates.....no matter what age.  The funny part is that the other kids say, "well, you do so much more swimming and biking and all we do is run".  Sure, they don't really understand everything he does, but they know he runs about 60% of the miles they are running, and they also know he runs a ton of fast intervals.

Much of what you posted makes perfect sense......but I can't be convinced there is no crossover benefit from very intense training.  And I can't be convinced that there is no benefit from the principles for AG triathletes......most of them don't have a clue how to train to be fast......so they just train longer, and waste a lot of time.

Edited by Left Brain 2014-04-09 12:37 PM
2014-04-09 12:40 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by yazmaster

Again, LB, while you son is clearly an outstanding athlete, and super fast at running - 

No doubt with proper training, he will also be a beast at the marathon, but there is no way he will hit his "mcmillan target' potential, say if you plug in his 5k/10k race time in and get the marathon estimate back, on his current low-mileage run training. 

He will still run faster than the vast majority of people, sure, because of clearly hugely advantageous genetics, but he would get CRUSHED by similarly genetically-equipped pure runners who ran the typical 70-100mpw compared to his triathlon training @ 30mpw running. 

BUT....what we are talking about is triathlon.....and I don't believe the best way to a faster triathlon run is "just run more".  In fact, I think it's dead wrong. And for the record.....my kid IS racing similarly genetically equipped kids at the level he is at......he's not getting crushed by anyone.....not by a long shot.  They're running more., sometimes a lot more.....he's still there, and younger than almost all of them.

Edited by Left Brain 2014-04-09 12:42 PM
2014-04-09 12:44 PM

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ

This has developed into a pretty interesting discussion. After Boston I'm heading into a big swim focus, we will see what happens to the run during that time

2014-04-09 12:44 PM

He will still run faster than the vast majority of people, sure, because of clearly hugely advantageous genetics, but he would get CRUSHED by similarly genetically-equipped pure runners who ran the typical 70-100mpw compared to his triathlon training @ 30mpw running.  FWIW as well, 60mpw run per week is a BIG difference than 30mpw for that kind of distance running. 

BUT....what we are talking about is triathlon.....and I don't believe the best way to a faster triathlon run is "just run more".  In fact, I think it's dead wrong. And for the record.....my kid IS racing similarly genetically equipped kids at the level he is at......he's not getting crushed by anyone.....not by a long shot.  They're running more., sometimes a lot more.....he's still there, and younger than almost all of them.

Again, we're talking circles around each other, but you are the one in error here.

Your EXACT quote from above:

"So, what dfoes MacMillan say they should be able to run a marathon in based on a 30:00 10K off the bike?  I'm going to go with 2:30 - 2:36.  Not bad for only running 60 mpw huh?  I'm sticking with the idea that the 1.2 million yards they swim per year helps just a little with that. "

So clearly you're talking about the marathon in that quote, which is what I responded to. Read my above post as to how I agree with your sons regimen for ITU-short course training, but for why it would NOT work for marathon training as you suggest above.

Edited by yazmaster 2014-04-09 12:45 PM
2014-04-09 12:47 PM
in reply to: yazmaster

User image

Pro

Again, we're talking circles around each other, but you are the one in error here.

Your EXACT quote from above:

"So, what dfoes MacMillan say they should be able to run a marathon in based on a 30:00 10K off the bike?  I'm going to go with 2:30 - 2:36.  Not bad for only running 60 mpw huh?  I'm sticking with the idea that the 1.2 million yards they swim per year helps just a little with that. "

So clearly you're talking about the marathon in that quote, which is what I responded to. Read my above post as to how I agree with your sons regimen for ITU-short course training, but for why it would NOT work for marathon training as you suggest above.

Yaz - it's hard to keep both your and marq's commments in my reply.  And I was referencing past discussions when talking about Brownlee's probable marathon time.  I think about this stuff a bunch, and I read a ton.....so if it seems like I'm in a circle reference to your comments I apologize......I suspect if we were face to face the discussion would be easier.

2014-04-09 12:53 PM

Yes, fair enough!

2014-04-09 12:53 PM

Yes, fair enough!

2014-04-09 1:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

I personally don't care about the marathon quote.  That's a whole 'nother can of worms.  I'm more intrigued in how this would help with Sprint and/or Olympic training.

What I am interested in is how much more time can be put into swimming without hurting the bike or run AND give you an edge heading into T1. 

From the March total, I noticed that "JR" only ran 68% of the miles I did and bike 64% of my miles, and I considered March a light mileage month for me.  However, he swam 114,400 yds to my 34,469 (332%!).  Right now I'm biking about 5 hrs a week.  If shortening my long bike and adding another swim could benefit me that much, then that's worth investigating.  

Edited by msteiner 2014-04-09 1:24 PM
2014-04-09 1:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
But they all build the engine, right?  I don't agree that the same type program won't work for AG'ers.....first, they don't swim.....second, they don't know how to run, and there are more effecient ways to learning to run better than "just run more" with the same problems.

Most people say that to run faster you have to run more.  The truth is, you have to run faster more.(since you used them, the Brownlee's are a great example)  I believe you can run faster by doing it more and save miles on your legs (help prevent injury), and build endurance, by swimming A LOT more.

It's funny.  My kid doesn't do the track workouts the other kids do.  He gets his workouts from a coach who takes into account all he is doing.  He runs much less and is MUCH faster than his teammates.....no matter what age.  The funny part is that the other kids say, "well, you do so much more swimming and biking and all we do is run".  Sure, they don't really understand everything he does, but they know he runs about 60% of the miles they are running, and they also know he runs a ton of fast intervals.

Much of what you posted makes perfect sense......but I can't be convinced there is no crossover benefit from very intense training.  And I can't be convinced that there is no benefit from the principles for AG triathletes......most of them don't have a clue how to train to be fast......so they just train longer, and waste a lot of time.

First of all, I agree that many AGers don't swim enough and some of the ones that put in the hours don't do it optimally. But this can be said for all 3 sports.
It's all about balancing the 3 as Jason stated and training all 3 smart.

I am trying to put my training where my mouth is. I have increased my swimming and my average pace in a workout is greater than my threshold pace. I am doing quite a bit of intensity. My /100m time is down by about 5s and I qualified for world masters in the 100 and 200m. But I don't feel any benefit to my bike or run. I did it because swimming is my weakness and I could get good bang for the buck. My goal is 20% of my time on the swim, 35% on the run and 45% on the bike. I am also planning to do some short course so I feel the swim is important at this point in time.

The best way to improve a specific sport is to train it specifically and efficiently. Under certain conditions, all slow running may make sense. For me it doesn't. But that is just me.

Figure out where you will get the biggest return on investment and do it efficiently but it's all about balance. As AGers, we are very time restricted and it's critical to train smart rather than more.

As for cross over, performance for a given sport is a combination of VO2max, ability to hold a % of VO2max and efficiency. Efficiency only comes from doing the specific sport. Ability to hold a % of VO2max comes from training the specific sport. I believe there is some transfer of VO2max across sports. This is based on what I have read and specific testing I have done on myself. My VO2max on the bike is equivalent to that of the run. I believe some caried over. Yet, I am a much better runner. This is for 2 reasons. My ability to hold a % of VO2max on the run is much greater, because I run more and my efficency at that pace is above average, because I run more. On the bike, it's the opposite. I believe this is 100% due to not training the bike enough.

2014-04-09 1:25 PM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Pro

Originally posted by msteiner

I personally don't care about the marathon quote.  That's a whole 'nother can of worms.  I'm more intrigued in how this would help with Sprint and/or Olympic training.

What I am interested in is how much more time can be put into swimming without hurting the bike or run AND give you an edge heading into T1. 

From the March total, I noticed that "JR" only ran 68% of the miles I did and bike 64% of my miles, and I considered March a light mileage month for me.  However, he swam 114,400 yds to my 34,469 (332%!).  Right now I'm biking about 5 hrs a week.  If shortening my long bike and adding another swim could benefit me that much, then that's worth investigating.  

How much time would it take you to double your swim yardage? (I don't know how fast you swim)

2014-04-09 1:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Originally posted by msteiner

How much time would it take you to double your swim yardage? (I don't know how fast you swim)

My time distribution last month was 10hr swimming, 20hr biking, 10 hr running.  In theory I could cut the bike time in half and double swimming, which would mean cutting the long ride short and putting that time towards the pool.  I've been thinking about it, and I could just make that ride more intense and get 3 hard rides a week.

Or I could move a combo of bike and run time.  It's unorthodox, but doable.

Edited by msteiner 2014-04-09 1:28 PM
2014-04-09 1:35 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Left Brain But they all build the engine, right?  I don't agree that the same type program won't work for AG'ers.....first, they don't swim.....second, they don't know how to run, and there are more effecient ways to learning to run better than "just run more" with the same problems.

First of all, I agree that many AGers don't swim enough and some of the ones that put in the hours don't do it optimally. But this can be said for all 3 sports. It's all about balancing the 3 as Jason stated and training all 3 smart. I am trying to put my training where my mouth is. I have increased my swimming and my average pace in a workout is greater than my threshold pace. I am doing quite a bit of intensity. My /100m time is down by about 5s and I qualified for world masters in the 100 and 200m. But I don't feel any benefit to my bike or run. I did it because swimming is my weakness and I could get good bang for the buck. My goal is 20% of my time on the swim, 35% on the run and 45% on the bike. I am also planning to do some short course so I feel the swim is important at this point in time. The best way to improve a specific sport is to train it specifically and efficiently. Under certain conditions, all slow running may make sense. For me it doesn't. But that is just me. Figure out where you will get the biggest return on investment and do it efficiently but it's all about balance. As AGers, we are very time restricted and it's critical to train smart rather than more. As for cross over, performance for a given sport is a combination of VO2max, ability to hold a % of VO2max and efficiency. Efficiency only comes from doing the specific sport. Ability to hold a % of VO2max comes from training the specific sport. I believe there is some transfer of VO2max across sports. This is based on what I have read and specific testing I have done on myself. My VO2max on the bike is equivalent to that of the run. I believe some caried over. Yet, I am a much better runner. This is for 2 reasons. My ability to hold a % of VO2max on the run is much greater, because I run more and my efficency at that pace is above average, because I run more. On the bike, it's the opposite. I believe this is 100% due to not training the bike enough.

Thanks...all of your experiences are useful and I always learn something from them.

Here's another point of discussion, because clearly not everyone benefits in the same way from various activities.  How much do you kick on the swim?  My son kicks a ton while he swims and does a lot of kick sets at very high intensity.  He had a day with Mcgee a few weeks ago and he commented on my son's hip development, which he attributes much of his raw speed to.  My son believes it's from all of the kicking he does while swimming.  I know that often when someone is hurt they are given the advice to "water run" in order to keep some run fitness.  I wonder how much more of the swim can be transferred over to the run by someone who kicks a lot, and if that's the reason my kid seems to benefit greatly from more swim mileage?  I'm thinking out loud here.

2014-04-09 1:37 PM

Master
Northern IL

From what I've seen, it depends on how well one is developed. Jr was quite fast from the get-go, but was also lower down on his potential as he hadn't be tremendously active. In such a person (lower on their potential), any activity will help improve others. The more advanced one becomes, the more specific the training needs to be to keep on going. The ITU distances brought up haven't really been disputed as being a reflection of what they might be doing and show a shift of swimming a bit less and adding in more running from what Jr is doing now.

Personally, I have not been able to tell if swimming has helped my running. I have more core stability, but that's the limit of what I can detect. My running is more advanced on my potential than my swimming is, or has been. There has been no detectable help with my biking, and it might get in the way at times as it's tougher to execute bike workouts. Progress on the bike has followed how well bike training has gone. If I can't get the strong workouts in or the volume, my progress stagnates or has even declined at times. I'm also way higher on my bike potential than either of the other two with some years of hard work and strong volume there.

I have seen some who added in just a bit of swimming to the couple runs that they were doing, and felt their running improve. They were very healthy, but not tremendously active. Not like me (or Jr).

Basically I don't think this is quite a one size fits all situation.

2014-04-09 1:52 PM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin

Originally posted by Left Brain But they all build the engine, right?  I don't agree that the same type program won't work for AG'ers.....first, they don't swim.....second, they don't know how to run, and there are more effecient ways to learning to run better than "just run more" with the same problems.

First of all, I agree that many AGers don't swim enough and some of the ones that put in the hours don't do it optimally. But this can be said for all 3 sports. It's all about balancing the 3 as Jason stated and training all 3 smart. I am trying to put my training where my mouth is. I have increased my swimming and my average pace in a workout is greater than my threshold pace. I am doing quite a bit of intensity. My /100m time is down by about 5s and I qualified for world masters in the 100 and 200m. But I don't feel any benefit to my bike or run. I did it because swimming is my weakness and I could get good bang for the buck. My goal is 20% of my time on the swim, 35% on the run and 45% on the bike. I am also planning to do some short course so I feel the swim is important at this point in time. The best way to improve a specific sport is to train it specifically and efficiently. Under certain conditions, all slow running may make sense. For me it doesn't. But that is just me. Figure out where you will get the biggest return on investment and do it efficiently but it's all about balance. As AGers, we are very time restricted and it's critical to train smart rather than more. As for cross over, performance for a given sport is a combination of VO2max, ability to hold a % of VO2max and efficiency. Efficiency only comes from doing the specific sport. Ability to hold a % of VO2max comes from training the specific sport. I believe there is some transfer of VO2max across sports. This is based on what I have read and specific testing I have done on myself. My VO2max on the bike is equivalent to that of the run. I believe some caried over. Yet, I am a much better runner. This is for 2 reasons. My ability to hold a % of VO2max on the run is much greater, because I run more and my efficency at that pace is above average, because I run more. On the bike, it's the opposite. I believe this is 100% due to not training the bike enough.

Thanks...all of your experiences are useful and I always learn something from them.

Here's another point of discussion, because clearly not everyone benefits in the same way from various activities.  How much do you kick on the swim?  My son kicks a ton while he swims and does a lot of kick sets at very high intensity.  He had a day with Mcgee a few weeks ago and he commented on my son's hip development, which he attributes much of his raw speed to.  My son believes it's from all of the kicking he does while swimming.  I know that often when someone is hurt they are given the advice to "water run" in order to keep some run fitness.  I wonder how much more of the swim can be transferred over to the run by someone who kicks a lot, and if that's the reason my kid seems to benefit greatly from more swim mileage?  I'm thinking out loud here.

Kicking in swim sets is underrated in triathlon. People always say that you shouldn't kick to conserve energy and that it doesn't make you faster, but what kicking does do is:

Help keep you on top of the water
Strengthens your core (this includes hamstrings and quadriceps, two major muscles involved in the cycle/run)
Open yours hips from all the miles hunched over cycling
Transfer more power in cycle/run
It has a direct application to all 3 sports and an improvement across the board.

Really the kick is very beneficial, people just look at it from a very specific point and fail to see the bigger picture.

Also kicking with a board is one option. I do lots of kick sets on my back (teaches a great streamline position, no kick board, etc. If you use a kick board make sure to wear your goggles and breathe as you normally would in swimming. Kicking with your head up and out of the water drops your hips and makes kicking way more difficult then it needs to be.

EDIT: When I swam with a high school team this winter we would do kick sets of 500-1000 quite often. The power in my stroke increased tremendously and I was definitely swimming more on top of the water (more efficiently). Jordan Rapp also does a lot of kick sets when he swims with (forgot the name of the club) and he mentions many of the same benefits.

Edited by bcagle25 2014-04-09 1:53 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How fast is Gomez and the ITU circuit? Rss Feed  

of 4

RELATED POSTS

Am I running my long runs too fast? Pages: 1 2

Started by Zero2Athlete
Views: 4824 Posts: 48

2013-03-02 9:42 AM slonce5

Am i fast enough? Pages: 1 2

Started by nminesinger
Views: 2694 Posts: 28

2010-06-17 2:09 AM spudone

HR Training: How can I get fast faster ? Pages: 1 2 3

Started by sachinh
Views: 3198 Posts: 59

2007-09-17 6:53 PM vortmax

Am I moving too fast??

Started by ROBIT79
Views: 903 Posts: 7

2006-04-03 2:32 PM ROBIT79

How Fast is Too Fast?

Started by RafeOsha
Views: 1292 Posts: 13

2006-03-29 8:43 PM TH3_FRB
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 18, 2013
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
BT amateurs compete in San Diego race on the world stage.

date : April 19, 2011
author : Total Immersion
Terry Laughlin will cover the elements of the "speed problem" in swimming, why the traditional means of swimming faster seldom work and why an often-ignored approach is virtually foolproof.
date : September 10, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 6
Should I be working on getting faster at running by doing the longer distances and working up slowly over time or run faster for shorter distances now?

date : July 14, 2009
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 1
I can swim long with ease and have decent endurance, but I have a race coming up and I don't want to be last anymore. Help?
date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.

date : July 5, 2005
author : Michael Silva
I don't really strength train (because I never have and don't really know much about it) and feel like my lack of upper body strength is the reason why I'm not getting faster.
date : December 14, 2004
author : Team BT
Q&A with Siri Lagley, winner of the ITU President’s Cup racing series two years in a row and coach of Susan Williams, US Athens triathlete.

date : November 14, 2004
author : czone
At one of my last swim sessions the week of my first Ironman, one of my training partners told me how she was envious..."your first Ironman is fun, you have no pressure and no expectations!"