General Discussion Race Reports! » Spring Bassman Half Distance Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Spring Bassman Half Distance Triathlon - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Tuckerton, New Jersey
United States
CityTri Racing
65F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 4h 48m 38s
Overall Rank = 10/113
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 2/18
Pre-race routine:

Staple pre-race meal, meat and egg rice porridge with about 20 to 30 ounces of fluids 3 hours pre race. Drove to race. Went between my car, to the porta-potty line, to transition quite a few times. I looked for my Bodyglide (which I knew I packed) for quite some time. (I found it after the race, and yes, there was some unpleasant chafing).
Event warmup:

Stood in ankle deep water listening to pre-race meeting. It was still cold out and I didn't want to get all soaked and get out of the water, and I figured my warm up would be wading out to the start.
Swim
  • 39m 16s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 52s / 100 yards
Comments:

I didn't drown, which is probably the only positive thing I have to say about this swim.

I couldn't find any good feet. I couldn't stay straight. I occasionally lost sight of the buoys, and once I went way off course.

I really neglected swim training in the last few months. I was shocked at how slow my first loop was when I looked at my split, and really disappointed when I got out of the water.

My last two HIM I was out of the water in 34:xx, including my first ever which was only 4 or 5 months after learning to swim more than 50 yards at a stretch.
What would you do differently?:

Go out faster, push myself to get on some good feet. Do more than 2x swim workouts per week (5000 yd total)/wk)
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Lost some time with my wetsuit, usually I strip to the waist running into T1. The wetsuit also got stuck on my watch, and did not come off the ankles smooth. There was no timing in T1, so I am guessing 4 to 5 min range.

Remember to start stripping on the run to T1. I usually bodyglide my lower legs/ankles to help the suit come off, but since I couldn't find it, that didn't happen. And just learn to shake off those post swim cobwebs and get focused!
Bike
  • 2h 28m 54s
  • 57.2 miles
  • 23.05 mile/hr
Comments:

I've dubbed this year for me as "The Year of the Bike," as my goal was to become a better cyclist. I bought a power meter. I was also lucky enough to be part of the Power mentor group, which taught me how to use it, and gave me some tough workouts to get me in shape.

I forgot to turn my bike computer on before the swim, and lost a few miles as it found satellites, but I had 54 miles of data showing an average of 259 watts. I was happy with that as it put me at about 86% of my estimated FTP.

Last year I was about 20 minutes slower on the same course, and I remember thinking that I lose too much time to the field on the bike. For this years race, I was only about 6 minutes slower than the fastest bike split of the day, so I've cut that down quite a bit.

I also had zero people pass me on the bike, which I guess isn't surprising considering how terrible I swam.

Nothing really. I left just enough to get me through the run with no disasters. If I pushed it more, I probably would have had some serious issues.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Quad started cramping on the way into T2, so I pretty much was on autopilot, mentally I was already trying to figure out how I would make it through the run. I am glad that I remembered to do everything.

Focus on the task at hand, worry about the run when I start the run.
Run
  • 1h 35m 44s
  • 13.2 miles
  • 07m 15s  min/mile
Comments:

I had to be a bit conservative. During the first mile, my quad was cramping. I tried to stretch it out a bit by bringing my heels up as I ran, but then my hamstring started protesting. I was pretty worried. I had planned to do a steady 7:00 min/mile pace based on my VDOT which is in the 52-53 range, and shoot 1:32-1:33, but I had to slow that down a bit.

The aid stations were pretty much self serve, and I managed about 2 half Dixie cups of water, and no nutrition. I didn't want to slow down or stop. I was worried about bonking late in the run, but managed to hold on, and even speed up the last few miles once I felt I was out of the danger zone. Luckily it was relatively cool and shaded or I would have been in trouble with hydration.

Bring at least a gel or something with me in case the aid stations don't work out as was the case today.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The swim!!!!!!!! If I can convince myself to get up early and to the pool 4x or so per week and get up to about 15k/week, I really could start getting competitive overall. Maybe I will dub next season as "The Year of the Swim." For the bike I need to get a professional fit, and just keep up the willingness to suffer during my workouts.

Event comments:

I like this venue and I hope it stays popular enough to keep the race going. It is the only local early season HIM and a great tuning race. And despite it being early May, somehow the water temperature stays above 60 degrees. There were a few issues. Bike security, lack of volunteers overall (especially at the run aid stations), and some timing issues. Obviously bike security is huge, and I am sure that will be addressed (well I hope I am sure). They also could be more strategic with the placement of the aid stations, and probably be able to put more manpower there.

Last updated: 2014-05-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:39:16 | 2112 yards | 01m 52s / 100yards
Age Group: 7/18
Overall: 48/113
Performance: Bad
Suit: Full
Course: 2 x 0.6 mi shallow lake
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 62F / 17C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:28:54 | 57.2 miles | 23.05 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/18
Overall: 7/113
Performance: Good
HR avg 151. Very steady HR during the whole ride.
Wind: Some
Course: 3 loops, a bit rough on the way out. Flat.
Road: Rough  Cadence: 85
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:35:44 | 13.2 miles | 07m 15s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/18
Overall: 11/113
Performance: Average
Started in 150s, moved towards 160 near the end. My max HR is low 180s, threshold usually around 160-165. HR was in check all race, it was my all my other muscles that were protesting today.
Course: Flat. Some road, some hard packed trail, a bit of soft sand, but not much.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2014-05-07 1:29 PM

Subject: Spring Bassman Half Distance Triathlon

2014-05-07 4:11 PM
in reply to: #4993010

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas
Subject: RE: Spring Bassman Half Distance Triathlon

Wow, speed racer!!  Smoking fast!

How do you feel about the bike pacing?  Do you think riding at 86% is what resulted in the cramping quads on the run? 

2014-05-07 4:36 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

Subject: RE: Spring Bassman Half Distance Triathlon
Based on general feedback, I've heard 80 to 85 % for a HIM is a good target. I had a good deal of training after my last test, so I had felt like I had a pretty accurate/conservative FTP to work with, so being on the higher end didn't concern me.

My HR was good so I went with it, I probably needed a bit more strength/long rides and I would have been fine. Hopefully I can remedy that between now and my IM in Aug!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Spring Bassman Half Distance Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Spring Bassman Half Distance Triathlon

Started by BigPaulD
Views: 1237 Posts: 1

2013-05-16 5:37 PM BigPaulD

Started by niceguy542006
Views: 2209 Posts: 1

2013-05-08 7:45 AM niceguy542006

Started by ImSore
Views: 1161 Posts: 1

2013-05-06 9:10 PM ImSore

Started by FELTGood
Views: 1704 Posts: 4

2012-05-08 3:20 PM rscheung

Started by rscheung
Views: 1381 Posts: 2

2012-05-08 5:55 AM FELTGood
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 28, 2012
author : writingrunner
comments : 0
How my first half iron distance triathlon brought back feelings of high school competition.

date : September 22, 2009
author : Ali Winslow
Is it realistic to race a sprint and Olympic distance race within 2-3 weeks of one another to gauge my progress before tackling the half Ironman?
date : July 14, 2009
author : scoobysdad
Excerpts from the full-length movie of three BT'ers following their dreams to Ironman. Meet BT'er tripletmom01

date : June 17, 2009
With stroke improvements I find that when I try and swim long I have lost any speed gains that I had because my stroke count just creeps up and up. I also feel like I'm running out of air.
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : January 29, 2006
author : sl2302
I just had a couple of problems, I could count the number of triathlons I had contested at zero. Secondly, I could count on one hand the number of times I had been swimming in the last 17 years.
date : October 30, 2005
author : mikericci
This program should be used for an athlete who has been following the progression of the Half Iron Distance program and is 12 weeks out from their first Iron distance race.

date : April 17, 2005
author : AMSSM
Training in the cold can be effective and fun with some planning. Overall, prepare for the environment, stay hydrated and dry, listen to your body and have a great safe cold weather outing.