Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Neighborhood kids & a back yard pool Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-06-08 2:19 PM

User image

Bronze member
Subject: Neighborhood kids & a back yard pool

We live in a neighborhood with lots of kids. Our own children are 6 & 8 and their friends are often over playing in our yard or running back and forth from yard to yard. This is great, everyone has fun and always has someone to play with. We are putting in a pool this summer and I'm just a little concerned about how to set boundaries with neighborhood children and the pool. We will have a fence but just around the pool (not the whole yard) and one of those black rod iron fences so we can still see out through the fence. The rest of the backyard, which has the swingset, will still be open. Maybe it won't really be an issue but I just want to be prepared. I know my kids will want to have friends over to swim but at the same time I don't want it to become a habit for kids to come over swimming like they do to play in our yard now. Anyone dealt with this issue?

2014-06-08 2:38 PM
in reply to: trigal38

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Neighborhood kids & a back yard pool

Our yard was always "kid central" for the neighborhood.  We had the big swing set and the pool.....so very similar to your situation.  The only rule we had was NOBODY swims if there is not an adult at home.  We never had an issue.  If we weren't home they knew there was no swimming.  The kids got it and never abused it. 

We do keep a $1,000,000 umbrella insurance policy.  It cost $30.00 per month.  Accidents happen.

2014-06-08 7:52 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Beijing

Originally posted by Left Brain

Our yard was always "kid central" for the neighborhood.  We had the big swing set and the pool.....so very similar to your situation.  The only rule we had was NOBODY swims if there is not an adult at home.  We never had an issue.  If we weren't home they knew there was no swimming.  The kids got it and never abused it. 

We do keep a $1,000,000 umbrella insurance policy.  It cost $30.00 per month.  Accidents happen.

Kapow!  Nailed it.   I believe there are also "Alarms" you can get that will go off if anyone is in the pool.     And Im sure tuwood could hook you up with a pool cam. 

I would prepare a "first time to the pool" lecture for every kid in the neighborhood.   "This is our pool, we're happy you're here.  If I ever find out you were in the pool when I'm not here... you will never swim in the pool again. "  Then sacrifice a chicken or something for more dramatic effect. 

Edited by moondawg14 2014-06-08 7:54 PM
2014-06-09 8:59 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX

You should have a discussion with the kids and the kids parents. I'd also look into what you are legally liable for, if a kid were to get into the pool and drown. I know that's horrible and morbid, and I don't know all the laws for each state, but I think is some states, even if you have a fence up, if a kid drowns in your pool you are liable. Thus, the insurance policy he mentioned above. ? 

Obviously the fence is there to prevent that, but I would think it is something you probably want to get a clear understanding of. 

2014-06-09 9:15 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

Originally posted by KSH

You should have a discussion with the kids and the kids parents. I'd also look into what you are legally liable for, if a kid were to get into the pool and drown. I know that's horrible and morbid, and I don't know all the laws for each state, but I think is some states, even if you have a fence up, if a kid drowns in your pool you are liable. Thus, the insurance policy he mentioned above. ? 

Obviously the fence is there to prevent that, but I would think it is something you probably want to get a clear understanding of. 

I never felt the need to discuss anything with all of the parents of every kid who has been in our pool  I don't even know some of the kids, much less their parents.   What do I have to do next.....ask each kid if their parent knows where they are?  Not my job.  I had/have a very simple conversation with any kid I see in our pool that I don't know. (yes, one of my kids is with them unless it's a neighborhood kid I know well....they can swim if we are home regardless of our kids being there because they already know not to act like an idiot at my house).  It goes like this, "Hi XXXX, good to meet you. Have fun in the pool. Here's the deal.....don't even think about getting in this pool without XXX(one of my kids)....do you understand me?"  Never had a single problem....I trust my kids to explain any other needed rules.

If a parent of one of my kid's friends called to give me a clear understanding of the rules at their pool, and what liability each of us would assume, my kids would not be swimming there. 

Parenting is not complicated.....I have no desire to make it that way.

Edited by Left Brain 2014-06-09 9:16 AM
2014-06-09 9:25 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

I don't have a pool, but I second this policy as well as checking with your insurance provider to make sure you've got all your potential behinds covered.  

2014-06-09 10:16 AM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Expert
Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa.

We looked at getting a pool last summer as well.  Couple of things our Home Owner's Insurance Company (Met Life, and I live in Iowa) suggested:

Make sure you have a fence around the pool that allows for access only from the house and not from the yard.  Possibly have a second, outer fence keeping people out of the yard in general but that was not required. Keep the umbrella policy in force and make sure the HOI company knows about the pool.  By the way, your HOI will probably increase as well.

The challenging part of of this is that even though kids are told not to swim when there are no adults around, some will still do it.  Probably not the 6-10 year olds, but I woudl think the 13-16 year olds would probably blow off that rule.

Good luck

2014-06-09 11:09 AM
in reply to: siouxcityhawk

User image

Master
Southwest Iowa

Also in Iowa, and was told anyone can get into our pool and drown no matter what the fence is like. But, it is still our fault even though we have locked gates and fences.  Our rules are as simple as stated above.  Nobody is in the pool without a parent at a minimum on the property.  Now that our kids are now out of school, they have their friends over, but if a small child is involved that parent is the one taking care of the child in the pool.  I have been a lifeguard and do understand how quickly a slip becomes a drowning.

2014-06-09 11:25 AM

User image

Master
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Bronze member
Good advice here, only make use you have a quality lock on the gate and use it. Mainly helps prevent the littler ones from getting in when they are curious.
2014-06-09 8:03 PM
in reply to: ejshowers

User image

Master
Oceanside, California
We live in a world where I would ask the holder of my liability insurance.
2014-06-10 10:38 AM
in reply to: flip18436572

User image

Oakville

Originally posted by flip18436572

Also in Iowa, and was told anyone can get into our pool and drown no matter what the fence is like. But, it is still our fault even though we have locked gates and fences.  Our rules are as simple as stated above.  Nobody is in the pool without a parent at a minimum on the property.  Now that our kids are now out of school, they have their friends over, but if a small child is involved that parent is the one taking care of the child in the pool.  I have been a lifeguard and do understand how quickly a slip becomes a drowning.

This is our standing rule for any backyard gathering where there are parents with young kids - if your kid is swimming then you are in the pool area watching them.

We have young kids (4 and 6) and one of the best parenting advice I was given is that accidents are more likely to happen in a large group/party where both parents think the other or some other parent is watching out of their kids. 

2014-06-10 11:12 AM
in reply to: Scott71

User image

Expert

Originally posted by Scott71

This is our standing rule for any backyard gathering where there are parents with young kids - if your kid is swimming then you are in the pool area watching them.

We have young kids (4 and 6) and one of the best parenting advice I was given is that accidents are more likely to happen in a large group/party where both parents think the other or some other parent is watching out of their kids. 

Last summer I was at a pool party in which there were several kids and parents.  We were all watching our kids fairly closely and the kids were more or less not screwing around too much.  Howecer, one little guy, maybe 3 years old, snuck away and fell in the deep end.  The mom saw it right away and several of us dads jumped in causing a huge amount of waves.  Needless to say, I think the parents were more scared than the child and our reaction was swift, efficient, and truthfully overdone. 

It just goes to show that kids on a mission will accomplish that mission, come hell or high water.  Always watch those little buggers!

2014-06-10 11:19 AM

User image

NC
No kid in the pool unless they can go sub-1:40 100m free.

2014-06-10 11:20 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by siouxcityhawk

Last summer I was at a pool party in which there were several kids and parents.  We were all watching our kids fairly closely and the kids were more or less not screwing around too much.  Howecer, one little guy, maybe 3 years old, snuck away and fell in the deep end.  The mom saw it right away and several of us dads jumped in causing a huge amount of waves.  Needless to say, I think the parents were more scared than the child and our reaction was swift, efficient, and truthfully overdone. 

It just goes to show that kids on a mission will accomplish that mission, come hell or high water.  Always watch those little buggers!

Amen!

I also think as parents one thing that should be very high on the priority list is to make sure that our kids know how to swim as soon as possible and also take them swimming as often as possible so they are comfortable around water.

I add the second part because I took swimming lessons for a few years as a little kid (5-6 years old) and could swim just fine going off the diving board and everything.  I hadn't seen a pool for a good year or two and went to a pool with some friends and jumped in where I thought the water wasn't very deep, but it was 6' deep.  I panicked and started to drown.  I was done and remember sucking water in at the bottom of the pool when the lifeguard jumped in and pulled me out.  I didn't lose consciousness, but it was really close.  I "knew" how to swim, but had the old 8 year old "swim panic" that could have easily ended me.  :-/

2014-06-10 11:21 AM
in reply to: Goosedog

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by Goosedog No kid in the pool unless they can go sub-1:40 100m free.

flip turns?

2014-06-10 11:29 AM

User image

Expert

Originally posted by tuwood

Originally posted by Goosedog No kid in the pool unless they can go sub-1:40 100m free.

flip turns?

Nice thread hijack

LOL

2014-06-10 1:14 PM

User image

Bronze member

The little 3 year old down the street is my biggest concern. He wanders over to our house while his big brother & sister are out riding bikes or something with my kids. I will go to the garage and there he is - I don't even know he is around. Or he is out on the play set - no other kids in the yard but him. My dog barks at strangers but is very protective of this little boy and does not make a sound when he comes over. Just follows him all over the yard. Probably because the little guy drops snacks all over the place ha ha.  I have always left it up to Mom or Dad to come after him because we really don't mind him coming over but I think I may have to change my ways. Along with the fence we are getting a pool cover so I think we will just have to keep it covered at all times when not in use.

2014-06-10 1:15 PM

User image

Bronze member

Originally posted by tuwood

Amen!

I also think as parents one thing that should be very high on the priority list is to make sure that our kids know how to swim as soon as possible and also take them swimming as often as possible so they are comfortable around water.

I add the second part because I took swimming lessons for a few years as a little kid (5-6 years old) and could swim just fine going off the diving board and everything.  I hadn't seen a pool for a good year or two and went to a pool with some friends and jumped in where I thought the water wasn't very deep, but it was 6' deep.  I panicked and started to drown.  I was done and remember sucking water in at the bottom of the pool when the lifeguard jumped in and pulled me out.  I didn't lose consciousness, but it was really close.  I "knew" how to swim, but had the old 8 year old "swim panic" that could have easily ended me.  :-/

Geez Tony that is scary!

2014-06-10 1:23 PM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

I know it is a little bit different than a homeowners pool...

Our neighborhood has a "community"pool and we had to look at our liability as well. We were looking at fencing and putting on a locking gate. We were told that as long as we were doing everything reasonable to keep people out that were not suppose to be in, then we were good. We added a taller fence than normal which made it tough to climb, placed locks which can only be opened by keys given out by the HOA and posted signs all over the fences with the rules, restrictions and notice of no lifeguard on duty. We also added an emergency phone which only calls 911.

This is not to say that people still do not gain entry to the pool through other measures, but we have done everything possible to ensure that only authorized people can be in there.

2014-06-10 3:09 PM
in reply to: jford2309

User image

Master
Southwest Iowa

As an ex-aquatics director, I can tell you that I had many parents made at me, but I made them be in the pool at the YMCA with their child if they were too small and they had to be in arms reach.  It is amazing, how quickly things turn bad.  I am serious that if we have people over, there is a parent in the water with their child, unless I am in the pool and I said I will take care of it or another parent is in the water that will watch everyone.  And our pool is just a small pool that we basically float in and cool down in.  Just the standard red neck above ground pool.

2014-06-11 10:20 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Our pool was always the most popular place in the neighborhood when the kids were young.  We really didn't mind, because at least we knew where they were.

We also enforced the "no adult/no swimming" rule and the kids were always pretty good about that.  Occasionally we'd have to issue a "timeout" to kids for rough housing, fighting, or doing stupid/dangerous stuff.

The biggest problem we had was with the parents of some of the neighborhood kids who would just send their kids over to our place unannounced to swim while they went grocery shopping, to the mall, etc., expecting us to provide free babysitting, lifeguarding, bathroom privileges, drinks & snacks, etc.  The biggest offenders were a family with four kids, including one still in diapers.  They eventually got put on the "uninvited" list.

Mark

2014-06-22 2:03 PM

Make it the neighborhood pool and start charging a cover to use it! lol
Just kidding.

I like the others' ideas of talking with your kids, and the other kids' parents...SHOULD it become an issue. I'd wait to see if it does. Congrats on getting a new pool!
2014-06-25 4:52 AM
in reply to: flip18436572

User image

New user
Manassas, Virginia
As an ex-aquatics director, I can tell you that I had many parents made at me, but I made them be in the pool at the YMCA with their child if they were too small and they had to be in arms reach.  It is amazing, how quickly things turn bad.  I am serious that if we have people over, there is a parent in the water with their child, unless I am in the pool and I said I will take care of it or another parent is in the water that will watch everyone.  And our pool is just a small pool that we basically float in and cool down in.  Just the standard red neck above ground pool.

Amen to that. I wish more parents would get off their phones and get in the water with their kids who can't swim.
2014-06-25 4:46 PM

User image

, Oregon
Great advise on this thread one quick note be sure the gates on the fence only swing out not in. That way if a small child pushes on the gate even if it is unlocked it will not open. Kids are much more likely to push on a gate then pull it open. Also all gates should be self closing and self latching. Latch should be up high on the gate and on the inside of the fence. Adults can reach over the fence to open the gate kids cannot. With this set up it is very hard for small children to accidentally enter the pool enclosure.
2014-06-25 10:09 PM
in reply to: idahocraig

User image

Pro

Originally posted by idahocraig Great advise on this thread one quick note be sure the gates on the fence only swing out not in. That way if a small child pushes on the gate even if it is unlocked it will not open. Kids are much more likely to push on a gate then pull it open. Also all gates should be self closing and self latching. Latch should be up high on the gate and on the inside of the fence. Adults can reach over the fence to open the gate kids cannot. With this set up it is very hard for small children to accidentally enter the pool enclosure.

Excellent!

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Neighborhood kids & a back yard pool Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

My back yard is on fire. Pages: 1 2 3

Started by powerman
Views: 5052 Posts: 68

2012-07-04 10:11 PM powerman

WWCOJD - Kids Driving Through Grass in Neighborhood

Started by LowcountryTRI
Views: 1242 Posts: 24

2010-03-03 8:15 PM hrliles

217 yards, 4 TDs, 100+ yards in 8 games

Started by Spokes
Views: 584 Posts: 1

2008-10-19 12:46 AM Spokes

Kids back in school!

Started by Renee
Views: 1172 Posts: 21

2008-08-27 7:57 AM MomX3

New (Old) Kids (Adults) on the Block.....back??

Started by tupuppy
Views: 896 Posts: 6

2008-01-28 1:21 PM 1stTimeTri
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 14, 2011
author : AMSSM
comments : 2
What is the recommended way to recover from a cycling-related lower back injury?

date : May 18, 2009
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
I've just got back in the pool from a 2 week break and my triceps are killing me the whole time I am swimming. Wondering if someone has any ideas or tips to correct?
date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.