General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Fancy a Balanced Distance Tri? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-08-18 11:13 AM

User image

Hereford, England
Subject: Fancy a Balanced Distance Tri?
Heard of this? I've just seen it advertised.

http://www.isomantri.com/ISO/#F0=WISO01_StartPage

Can't remember how long it took me to say no to doing it. But even with 72Mbps download speed, it probably took longer to load the page than to say no.

It seems interesting where they got their figures, and I've wondered why there is always an imbalance between disciplines? But it's still a no from me!

2014-08-18 11:24 AM
in reply to: Eucid

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Subject: RE: Fancy a Balanced Distance Tri?
Awesome idea. I know the idea has been around for a while. if I lived on that side of the Atlantic I would seriously consider giving it a go.
2014-08-18 11:25 AM

User image

Durham, North Carolina
the picture on their site is awesome!
2014-08-18 11:27 AM

User image

Elite
Spokane, WA

I like the idea of a balanced tri in shorter distances, but this seems like the recipe for failure at this distance.

A 7-mile swim would eliminate the vast majority of triathletes. I've done an IM swim, so in theory I might be able to train up to 7 miles but would have zero interest in putting in that kind of training.

I would predict this event will never happen due to lack of registrations.

2014-08-18 11:31 AM
in reply to: zed707

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Originally posted by zed707

I like the idea of a balanced tri in shorter distances, but this seems like the recipe for failure at this distance.

A 7-mile swim would eliminate the vast majority of triathletes. I've done an IM swim, so in theory I might be able to train up to 7 miles but would have zero interest in putting in that kind of training.

I would predict this event will never happen due to lack of registrations.

There are several endurance swims of that length and longer. Doable for the serious fishie but 7 miles with little to no nutrition is tough to do by itself, much less followed by a ride and a marathon.

As I said above, I would give it a go but not the longest distance. The half would be my preference.
2014-08-18 11:32 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Ha!   We have a local one that is balanced, but it's .5 mile swim, 6 mile bike, 2 mile run.  Designed to be 15 minutes or so a leg.

But this??   I've done a 7 mile swim before, and I had trained for it.   I was pretty shattered after, couldn't imagine doing 60/26 afterwards.   Plus no way you can do a 7 mile swim without some sort of fuel/support, haven't looked to see how they are doing it.  Loops? 

Ah, just looked, 8 laps.

And strange transition rules......

Edited by ChrisM 2014-08-18 11:33 AM

2014-08-18 11:38 AM

User image

That sounds horrifying. A seven mile swim? For me, that would not be a balance. The swim would take twice as long as the bike, and the run would take almost as long as the swim.
2014-08-18 1:07 PM
in reply to: happyscientist

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
I like the idea of a balanced race but this distance seems pretty long. I've swam a few 100x100 yard swim workouts (just under 6 miles) and I was pretty tired after that. I think half of that distance is pretty manageable, 3.5 mile swim, 30.6 mile bike and 13.1 mile run.

I'd be crazy enough to do the full distance, with proper training time.
2014-08-18 3:00 PM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

Good luck is all I gotta say. No interest here.

2014-08-18 7:44 PM

User image

I don't think I could ever train enough to get a 7-mile swim time close to that of my marathon time.

I would say that I wouldn't mind a race that had bike and run times closer to equal, though.

(although the "equalizing" isn't really fair because I'm pretty sure most people expend more energy on a 26.2 miles run than a 61.3 mile bike).

Edited by jennifer_runs 2014-08-18 7:45 PM
2014-08-18 8:29 PM
in reply to: jennifer_runs

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Originally posted by jennifer_runs

I don't think I could ever train enough to get a 7-mile swim time close to that of my marathon time.

I would say that I wouldn't mind a race that had bike and run times closer to equal, though.

(although the "equalizing" isn't really fair because I'm pretty sure most people expend more energy on a 26.2 miles run than a 61.3 mile bike).

I am a fishie and a horrible runner. My times for the swim and run would also not be close, with my swim much faster. I think that's the whole point.

As for energy expenditure, I would spend more energy on a horrible 26.2 run than the swim and ride combined. Yes I am that bad of a runner!

2014-08-19 7:14 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I'd sign up for the half distance in a heartbeat if it were anywhere in SE Asia! It's very close to what I've often thought would be my ideal race--an IM distance swim, Oly bike, and half marathon. But the full....ugh. I like swimming and don't like biking that much, but it seems like a seven mile swim with no nutrition might well put me in a hole I wouldn't be able to get out of.

Edited by Hot Runner 2014-08-19 7:14 AM
2014-08-19 8:25 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by Hot Runner

I'd sign up for the half distance in a heartbeat if it were anywhere in SE Asia! It's very close to what I've often thought would be my ideal race--an IM distance swim, Oly bike, and half marathon. But the full....ugh. I like swimming and don't like biking that much, but it seems like a seven mile swim with no nutrition might well put me in a hole I wouldn't be able to get out of.

Why does every think 7 miles with no nutrition is so hard? We used to swim 6-8 miles at swim practice everyday back in the 80's with no nutrition, we also had no water bottles on deck but had a chance once or twice to go to the water fountain.

If your that worried about nutrition during the swim just tuck a couple gels into your suit and eat them whenever. If you can swim 7 miles you can tread water or float long enough to down a gel. Hell I drank a beer while swimming across the bay once

I think the event sounds great except for the run, I'd have to train for that.
2014-08-19 9:05 AM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Veteran
Newcastle, England

Looks interesting ... as I like long swims

I've done a few 10k swims, whenh trainng with a few channel swimmers ... so 7mile would be a nice distance ... my problem is i'll still be on a post IM Austria road trip

2014-08-19 10:25 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Originally posted by mike761

Why does every think 7 miles with no nutrition is so hard? We used to swim 6-8 miles at swim practice everyday back in the 80's with no nutrition, we also had no water bottles on deck but had a chance once or twice to go to the water fountain.

If your that worried about nutrition during the swim just tuck a couple gels into your suit and eat them whenever. If you can swim 7 miles you can tread water or float long enough to down a gel. Hell I drank a beer while swimming across the bay once

Mike I don't think a 7 mile swim would be the issue for me. Like you I did it on more than a few occasions. My issue would be following it with the bike (although doable for me I think) and then the run where it would fall apart for me.

In and of itself the swim sounds fun. It's the followed by that would give me pause. I would take a shot at the half though.

2014-08-19 10:40 AM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

No thanks.

But if it were something like a 1.2mi swim, 15mi bike and 5mi run then I'd be interested!

2014-08-19 12:45 PM
in reply to: Stuartap

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by Stuartap

Mike I don't think a 7 mile swim would be the issue for me. Like you I did it on more than a few occasions. My issue would be following it with the bike (although doable for me I think) and then the run where it would fall apart for me.

In and of itself the swim sounds fun. It's the followed by that would give me pause. I would take a shot at the half though.

At half that distance I would jump on it, as is the marathon part is the ugly part. I understand the basis of how they set the distance, but running a marathon is A LOT more abuse on the body than a measly little 7 mile swim 60 whatever bike ride.
2014-08-19 2:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley

Originally posted by Stuartap

At half that distance I would jump on it, as is the marathon part is the ugly part. I understand the basis of how they set the distance, but running a marathon is A LOT more abuse on the body than a measly little 7 mile swim 60 whatever bike ride.

Right there with you Mike. I am a BAD runner. But I did check out the website and they actually are planning the full distance plus a half (3.5 mile swim, 30.6 mile ride, 13.1 mile run) as well as a quarter (1.75 S + 15.3 mile B + 6.55 R). For me the quarter is too short on the S & B but the half looks perfect. I would be willing to suffer through the HM in exchange for the 3.5 mile swim.

Too bad its in the UK.

2014-08-19 6:57 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Everyone's different but I'm speaking from experience. I did my share of 5K swim workouts back in the day and that's about my limit before I need to refuel. Maybe since I'm skinny, I burn more calories keeping warm than most people. I've also done several 10K swims (charity fundraisers in the pool) and I did take some food breaks during those(while treading water or kicking with a board for a lap). If not, I definitely would have been in trouble, esp. if they were followed by a bike ride and then a marathon! If I survived to the latter miles of the marathon, I might well need the beer....and a pizza or two!
2014-08-19 7:05 PM

User image

Originally posted by Hot Runner I'd sign up for the half distance in a heartbeat if it were anywhere in SE Asia! It's very close to what I've often thought would be my ideal race--an IM distance swim, Oly bike, and half marathon. But the full....ugh. I like swimming and don't like biking that much, but it seems like a seven mile swim with no nutrition might well put me in a hole I wouldn't be able to get out of.
Why does every think 7 miles with no nutrition is so hard? We used to swim 6-8 miles at swim practice everyday back in the 80's with no nutrition, we also had no water bottles on deck but had a chance once or twice to go to the water fountain. If your that worried about nutrition during the swim just tuck a couple gels into your suit and eat them whenever. If you can swim 7 miles you can tread water or float long enough to down a gel. Hell I drank a beer while swimming across the bay once I think the event sounds great except for the run, I'd have to train for that.

And you rode for three hours and ran a marathon afterwards?   It's a triathlon, not a swim

2014-08-19 7:26 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
I would rather see 6.2 mile swim, 105 miles bike, and 26.2 mile run.

2014-08-20 7:19 AM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by ChrisM

Originally posted by Hot Runner I'd sign up for the half distance in a heartbeat if it were anywhere in SE Asia! It's very close to what I've often thought would be my ideal race--an IM distance swim, Oly bike, and half marathon. But the full....ugh. I like swimming and don't like biking that much, but it seems like a seven mile swim with no nutrition might well put me in a hole I wouldn't be able to get out of.
Why does every think 7 miles with no nutrition is so hard? We used to swim 6-8 miles at swim practice everyday back in the 80's with no nutrition, we also had no water bottles on deck but had a chance once or twice to go to the water fountain. If your that worried about nutrition during the swim just tuck a couple gels into your suit and eat them whenever. If you can swim 7 miles you can tread water or float long enough to down a gel. Hell I drank a beer while swimming across the bay once I think the event sounds great except for the run, I'd have to train for that.

And you rode for three hours and ran a marathon afterwards?   It's a triathlon, not a swim

No that's why you tuck a couple gels in your suite and eat in the water. Could I do it without nutrition, then ride and run. Sure It just would not be optimal. When your talking about a balanced tri to ex-swimmers this long swim does not scare us like it does people without a swim background, because we were used to putting in miles of swimming everyday for years.
2014-08-20 7:27 AM

User image

i'm intrigued enough that i want to check it out
2014-08-20 7:53 AM
in reply to: austhokie

User image

Elite
Ontario

The only reason I get to be a Triathlete is because the swim is  the shortest part of the race!

2014-08-20 9:54 AM
in reply to: GoFaster

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Originally posted by GoFaster

The only reason I get to be a Triathlete is because the swim is  the shortest part of the race!

The only thing I hate about triathlons is the swim is the shortest part of the race!

That's the whole point of this event. As the distances are currently constructed cyclists are heavily favored, followed closely by runners. If you are not proficient in both those you will never be a really good triathlete. You can be a poor to average swimmer, especially in AG, and still show very well. Right now this is a two sport event with a swim thrown in to consume 10% of the time you spend competing.

If there were events that evened out the three sports as this one wants to do, I would absolutely support them.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Fancy a Balanced Distance Tri? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Does having a fancy tri bike put more pressure on me Pages: 1 2 3

Started by brreems
Views: 5856 Posts: 69

2012-07-10 7:11 PM mattramirez

What is the point of fancy wheels and tri bikes Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by ctbrian
Views: 6126 Posts: 86

2011-07-19 6:28 PM brucemorgan

Balancing Rugby and Tri

Started by jknapman
Views: 901 Posts: 13

2007-01-04 2:55 PM thebullmccabe

too many sports? balancing tri, run, cycling

Started by autumn
Views: 644 Posts: 15

2006-11-15 10:20 AM autumn

New to Tri's and Wandering How to Balance Work and Training

Started by redraider1
Views: 993 Posts: 18

2006-08-27 10:37 AM us50090
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 14, 2009
author : scoobysdad
comments : 0
Excerpts from the full-length movie of three BT'ers following their dreams to Ironman. Meet BT'er tripletmom01

date : March 6, 2007
author : MegL
comments : 9
Because for everyone out there, crossing the finish line is more about life than the race itself.
date : April 2, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
With a hectic schedule and the desire to throw in other forms of exercise, I went from following one of the training programs to doing my own. Would it be better to follow a training plan?

date : April 9, 2005
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
I am training for my first IM and lately I have been getting cramps in my calves. I am a heavy salt sweater and I was wondering if that has anything to do with it?
date : March 20, 2005
author : chrisandniki
Yoga’s something where one stands in a bizarre and ridiculous pose, listening to new age music, right? Wrong! Check out this primer for beginners.

date : February 28, 2005
author : mamakt
Be a better mother/wife/employee by putting yourself first.
date : October 10, 2004
author : adrianogier
Your programme was a great help in getting my training organised and balanced. Your web site has been a great help.

date : September 2, 2004
author : chrisandniki
2004 Product reviews for stability shoes for neutral foot types