General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Got my A$Z handed to me. THE REMATCH Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-09-13 3:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Subject: Got my A$Z handed to me. THE REMATCH
Back in July I posted about my orthopedic surgeon offering to go on a ride with me while neglecting to tell me he used to be on the Yale cycling team. He completely kicked my butt. http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

Well since then I have dropped 20# of what I gained while recovering from two surgeries. In the past 5 or 6 weeks I have been riding about 100 miles a week. So today we had a rematch.

We added another 10 miles to the ride, mostly flat with a few long climbs but nothing steep. Then we hit the hilly part. Like last time he would jump out of the saddle and race up the hill but was not leaving me far behind. That was the first two hills. The he says to me “let’s go”.

So I power down the hill with 15 more pounds than him and more power I pull away down the hill and most of the way up the next hill. I downshift and power to the top. Behind me he jumps out of the saddle and tries to catch up. He does catch me at the top of the hill but he is the one huffing and puffing and I am fine. Plus I know we have several more hills to go.

I lead the entire rest of the ride. So we pull into our stopping point and he says ‘Ok, I think its 1 and1’. When I ask what he thought of the route he said; two miles too far.

It was interesting as we discussed the different riding styles. I as a triathlete work to keep a steady power output and avoid spending it all on the climbs. He is used to group rides where they draft along the flats and then spend the energy on the uphill stretches.

It was good to know I was getting back to my pre-accident form and even though I will be 60 next year, I still teach a thing or two to an early thirties cyclist at his game. Now I know he is not at the top of his game given he doesn’t exercise as much as I do. But I am still improving as well.

This time I motivated him to get back into better shape.

2014-09-13 4:05 PM
in reply to: Stuartap

User image

Denver, CO
Subject: RE: Got my A$Z handed to me. THE REMATCH

Way to put that whippersnapper in his place!!    Great job on your recovery.  Keep up the good work.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Got my A$Z handed to me. THE REMATCH Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Are Marathon Fees Getting Out of Hand??? Pages: 1 2

Started by mr2tony
Views: 3436 Posts: 49

2012-02-14 9:13 AM Scout7

Right hand pinkie gets numb while swimming

Started by kcgolf
Views: 4678 Posts: 13

2018-07-18 1:21 PM katherinel

The hands Man, what about the Hands???

Started by jford2309
Views: 1574 Posts: 12

2009-11-05 9:18 PM Daremo

Interesting Experiment - Right Hand v Left Hand Pages: 1 2

Started by jacasa
Views: 2542 Posts: 28

2008-07-29 9:10 AM runningwoof

This bike thing is getting out of hand!

Started by KendallF
Views: 1120 Posts: 13

2005-04-11 8:36 PM nuke_angel
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 5, 2010
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
I've noticed when running that my hands start to swell. I started running with a fuel belt and started sipping water about 15 minutes into my run. It seemed to help for a few runs, but not all.

date : September 10, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 6
Should I be working on getting faster at running by doing the longer distances and working up slowly over time or run faster for shorter distances now?
date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.

date : April 23, 2009
This is a video of the fingertip drag drill used for recovery to promote high elbows upon hand entry.
date : June 27, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
Questions and answers on wetsuit swimming, cadence, interval time, paddle benefit, hand entry, runners kick drills, bilateral breathing and race breathing.

date : March 19, 2007
Stability Ball Hand Opposite Knee Crunch abdominal exercise instruction with picture and video.
date : March 7, 2007
Discussions on hand entry, common triathlete training mistakes, the best swim drills, useful swim tools and flip turn help.

date : November 28, 2004
Work your weakness. In the sport of triathlon, most coaches agree that you should spend the most time working on your weakest of the three sports. For many of you this will be swimming!