General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Fueling Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-09-15 8:48 PM

User image

Subject: Fueling
Is refueling preventing weight loss? I started this about a year ago and have lost 30lbs. I could drop another 10-20. Is fueling during and after my rides limiting my weight loss? Is it necessary?

This is mainly for the bike, as I don't fuel during runs or swims. But I do afterward.
On my bikes I take a GU every 45 minutes if I am riding over an hour. I drink a water Gatorade mix from the two bottles I take. I drink whats left of my gatorade mix after and maybe a zone or cliff bar. Maybe drink a chocolate milk.

Should I cut any of this out?

2014-09-15 9:03 PM
in reply to: nrpoulin

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Fueling

I would bet most people don't need "fuel" for a bike ride of 3 hours or less, except for water.  The triathlon community is "fuel" crazy. 

2014-09-15 9:10 PM
in reply to: #5050628

User image

, North Carolina
It's probably not as necessary as you think. Refueling after any hard work out is a good idea. That's the time where your calories are used the best for recovery and restoring lost nutrients.

Without knowing where you started, what youre doing now, and where you want to go it is hard to give solid dietary advice.
2014-09-15 9:10 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Are you fueling/refueling more calories than you're burning? Maybe you need to add it all up to see if you're still in calorie-deficit so you can continue to lose weight.

As you get in better shape you actually need less calories to do the same speeds because you become more efficient. And a heavier person burns more calories than a lighter person. So it's possible you've reached a set point where you are replacing all of the calories you're burning and therefore not losing weight.

So you can probably cut back how much you're eating. Just experiment a bit to make sure you aren't sabotaging your recovery. It's often said that your refueling is your prep for your NEXT workout. I know personally if I don't take some fuel on long runs and rides I have trouble with recovery after.
2014-09-15 9:42 PM
in reply to: jennifer_runs

User image

I am not obsessed with weight loss but feel I could drop a few more pounds. Earlier when my weekly calories out were greater than 5k i would drop a pound a week. I stopped seeing the same results and have plateaued my weight. I started taking the GU's on the bike initially to practice for racing, and found it helped with transition runs. They are only about 100 calories a pop. Don't really know when or why I started taking them on every ride. Think I may have read something about fueling every hour. Sounds like I can probably drop them and use only on days that I am doing race sim and/or bricks.

Overall I don't count my daily calories it. I started this for fun and calorie counting just isn't fun (for me). Besides I like my ice cream to much.

2014-09-16 6:15 AM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC

Originally posted by Left Brain

I would bet most people don't need "fuel" for a bike ride of 3 hours or less, except for water.  The triathlon community is "fuel" crazy. 

i'd agree with this.  the only real purpose of fueling is to set you up for your next workout by not burning through all your glycogen.  unless you are running off the bike then simple electrolytes with no calories in your bottles would be sufficient. 

2014-09-16 6:23 AM
in reply to: Clempson

User image

, Alabama
It also depends on your size. Bigger people burn through their calories faster. If he isn't taking in enough calories when he isn't working out he will need more during his rides/runs. Tha may also be why he isn't losing any more weight. If you have upped your distances and or speed you may be in a big enough deficit that your body is storing all the calories you take in instead of burning them off.
2014-09-16 6:26 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area

I have to be missing something but I can't find it in the posts...

3 hours just water on the bike? What kind of ride are we talking about? Beach cruiser down the boulevard?
2014-09-16 8:35 AM
in reply to: Leegoocrap

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Leegoocrap

I have to be missing something but I can't find it in the posts... 3 hours just water on the bike? What kind of ride are we talking about? Beach cruiser down the boulevard?

You know, we don't do a lot of 3 hour bike rides anymore.  Almost everything that my kids do is fast and furious, and about an hour....and my rides with them are usually just riding along and waiting for them to come around again.   BUT.....when we do go for a long ride, we just bring water.  I'm not really talking about NOT fueling because we fuel up pretty good before we go for a long ride, and we have a BIG emphasis at our house on really eating to fuel exercise.  Yeah, if we were going to ride 3 hours and then run we'd want something.....but we don't do that.  It's a 3 hour bike ride.......a couple of bananas and a bottle of Boost (yeah, we like it as pre-race jet fuel) and we're good to go for quite a while at a 3-4 hour pace.  I won't back off the idea that most triathletes are "fuel crazy" when it comes to gels, mixes, etc.  It's mostly money down the drain for training.  I feel a bit different for racing.

2014-09-16 8:44 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Eden Prairie, MN, Minnesota

I have to be missing something but I can't find it in the posts...

3 hours just water on the bike? What kind of ride are we talking about? Beach cruiser down the boulevard?

I have the same question. Usually, I'll do water-only for short rides - up to around 2 hours. For anything longer than that, I'll have some kind refueling, especially if there is any significant interval or tempo work that would cause me to burn more than just fat. I operate the same way for runs, but with a cutoff of 1.5 hours for water-only.

Leaving on a 3-hour ride with any kind of intensity, with only water, would lead to a pretty miserable return ride home. Then again, I may very likely just need to HTFU.

ETA - Just read the post above. That answered my question.

Edited by Farlig 2014-09-16 8:45 AM
2014-09-16 8:50 AM

User image

Exton, PA

I have to be missing something but I can't find it in the posts... 3 hours just water on the bike? What kind of ride are we talking about? Beach cruiser down the boulevard?

You know, we don't do a lot of 3 hour bike rides anymore.  Almost everything that my kids do is fast and furious, and about an hour....and my rides with them are usually just riding along and waiting for them to come around again.   BUT.....when we do go for a long ride, we just bring water.  I'm not really talking about NOT fueling because we fuel up pretty good before we go for a long ride, and we have a BIG emphasis at our house on really eating to fuel exercise.  Yeah, if we were going to ride 3 hours and then run we'd want something.....but we don't do that.  It's a 3 hour bike ride.......a couple of bananas and a bottle of Boost (yeah, we like it as pre-race jet fuel) and we're good to go for quite a while at a 3-4 hour pace.  I won't back off the idea that most triathletes are "fuel crazy" when it comes to gels, mixes, etc.  It's mostly money down the drain for training.  I feel a bit different for racing.

I basically agree; your first post was a bit misleading though. Conditions and intensity also factor into fueling, riding on a 90° day and a 60° changes it up a lot.

It sounds like the OP is fueling more than he needs, a gel every 45 minutes during training rides is a lot. Most people also overestimate the amount of calories they burning and underestimate the calories they are consuming.

2014-09-16 8:54 AM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Pro

Originally posted by mike761

I basically agree; your first post was a bit misleading though. Conditions and intensity also factor into fueling, riding on a 90° day and a 60° changes it up a lot. It sounds like the OP is fueling more than he needs, a gel every 45 minutes during training rides is a lot. Most people also overestimate the amount of calories they burning and underestimate the calories they are consuming.

Yeah, I didn't mean it to be misleading;....I was mostly posting on the run and that was a short answer.  Whenever I start seeing discussions about gels, and mixes, and blah,blah,blah, I'm always reminded of those "chit triathletes say" videos  LOL .....doesn't anybody actually eat?  Geez, all kinds of people do really hard work every day.....miners, constructions workers, and on and on......maybe we should suggest they eat some gels to keep them going strong for 8 hours.  

2014-09-16 12:13 PM

User image

It isn't just triathletes. At least once a week I will see someone on a running forum who thinks they need a gel for a 5k. I know cyclists who insist on eating during a 1 hour ride. People just like to "fuel", and you have to call it fuel so you don't sound like you just want to eat.
2014-09-16 12:19 PM
in reply to: happyscientist

User image

Pro

Originally posted by happyscientist

It isn't just triathletes. At least once a week I will see someone on a running forum who thinks they need a gel for a 5k. I know cyclists who insist on eating during a 1 hour ride. People just like to "fuel", and you have to call it fuel so you don't sound like you just want to eat.

I fueled with carrot cake and beer last night.... after eating scallops, green beans, and orzo in garlic butter.....I could probably go 4 hours today.  If I could get that in a gel pack I'd just call it even and never get on a bike again.

2014-09-16 12:28 PM

User image

People like gels and sports drinks and such because they are things you can eat quickly while cycling or running and get the energy you need. And while you might not need them for multi-hour workouts if you are going moderate pace, you will suffer if you don't find ways to refuel your body in longer races. So it helps to practice and figure out what you need to eat.

No, this doesn't mean the runner doing C25K needs to take a gel. And many people do overdo it. But if the marathon runner takes them in 2-hour runs or the long-distance triathlete takes them in 2-hour bike rides, this is the time to practice for the race. While I'd prefer to eat chocolate cake, it doesn't transport that well.

When I suggested before counting up the calories, I meant from workout to workout. But in order to get an idea of the total deficit, counting everything for a week or so might be helpful. Or just simply cut back a bit and see if it helps you start dropping weight again.
2014-09-16 12:37 PM
in reply to: jennifer_runs

User image

Pro

What about 2 hour swim workouts?  Can you rubber band some gels to your upper arm or something? 

I gotta try that just one time on a Sunday at our pool when all the triathletes seem to be there.......I'm going to jump in with some Gu's rubber banded to my biceps.  Then when they stare at me I'm gonna be all, "WHAT"?!?!?!?!?!?!  

2014-09-16 12:45 PM

, Wisconsin

Originally posted by happyscientist

I fueled with carrot cake and beer last night.... after eating scallops, green beans, and orzo in garlic butter.....I could probably go 4 hours today.  If I could get that in a gel pack I'd just call it even and never get on a bike again.

Sounds a lot like how we eat around here. I'm w/LB on this, I'd rather get virtually all of my calories from real food (and beer, preferrably a good IPA). I really want to put as little raw fructose and processed stuff as possible into my system.
I do agree with Jennifer that some of the "packs" etc. would be handy in race conditions long enough to require more than water. And yes, its a good idea to experiment in training a few times to work out your exact system for longer races.
2014-09-16 1:05 PM

User image

What about 2 hour swim workouts?  Can you rubber band some gels to your upper arm or something? 

I gotta try that just one time on a Sunday at our pool when all the triathletes seem to be there.......I'm going to jump in with some Gu's rubber banded to my biceps.  Then when they stare at me I'm gonna be all, "WHAT"?!?!?!?!?!?!  

:P
2014-09-16 1:24 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by nrpoulin I am not obsessed with weight loss but feel I could drop a few more pounds. Earlier when my weekly calories out were greater than 5k i would drop a pound a week. I stopped seeing the same results and have plateaued my weight. I started taking the GU's on the bike initially to practice for racing, and found it helped with transition runs. They are only about 100 calories a pop. Don't really know when or why I started taking them on every ride. Think I may have read something about fueling every hour. Sounds like I can probably drop them and use only on days that I am doing race sim and/or bricks. Overall I don't count my daily calories it. I started this for fun and calorie counting just isn't fun (for me). Besides I like my ice cream to much.

i would bet ice cream is a bigger problem for weight loss than a couple gus on a long bike ride.  what is the rest of your diet like?

that said, unless it's a billion degrees or it's first thing in the morning and i haven't eaten, i am on the "nothing but water" camp for workouts up to 2 hours.

Edited by mehaner 2014-09-16 1:26 PM
2014-09-16 1:44 PM
in reply to: nrpoulin

User image

New user
Austin, Texas

I love how the instructions on Power Gels tell you to take one every "20-45 minutes" Yea right!!

2014-09-16 1:48 PM
in reply to: trijamie

User image

Pro

Originally posted by trijamie

I love how the instructions on Power Gels tell you to take one every "20-45 minutes" Yea right!!

You won't be laughing when you fall over on your bike.

2014-09-16 5:19 PM
in reply to: max.bennett

User image

Pro

Originally posted by max.bennett The most devastating thing you can do to your training and weight loss is to stop taking in nutrition pre and post workouts. Your body needs to get ready for the amount of stress you are going to put it through during the workout. If you don't fuel your body it will start eating away at muscle as well as fat. As for recovery, your body needs sugars and proteins for your muscles to repair themselves and get bigger and stronger. You want to be eating a good meal within 30 minutes of your workout to maximize the calorie intake. Often times triathletes consider nutrition the "4th" discipline of training. Here is a link to a video by Triathlon Research that talks about nutrition and triathlon training. You can also find more if you look around the website. There are also a lot of free videos and live chats you can sign up for with more information. Hope this helps! http://goo.gl/vPlmMt

all true.  Although as I recall, for recovery it was best to eat within 20 or maybe 40 min after strenuous / depletion exercise.  About 30% protein, 70% carbs- easily digestible.  However, it wasn't a huge meal.  just a couple hundred calories will do to aid recovery.

funny- I'm not usually hungry right after a long run/ride.  although, the next day I'll eat anything that isn't nailed down.

2014-09-16 7:48 PM
in reply to: morey000

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by morey000

Originally posted by max.bennett The most devastating thing you can do to your training and weight loss is to stop taking in nutrition pre and post workouts. Your body needs to get ready for the amount of stress you are going to put it through during the workout. If you don't fuel your body it will start eating away at muscle as well as fat. As for recovery, your body needs sugars and proteins for your muscles to repair themselves and get bigger and stronger. You want to be eating a good meal within 30 minutes of your workout to maximize the calorie intake. Often times triathletes consider nutrition the "4th" discipline of training. Here is a link to a video by Triathlon Research that talks about nutrition and triathlon training. You can also find more if you look around the website. There are also a lot of free videos and live chats you can sign up for with more information. Hope this helps! http://goo.gl/vPlmMt

all true.  Although as I recall, for recovery it was best to eat within 20 or maybe 40 min after strenuous / depletion exercise.  About 30% protein, 70% carbs- easily digestible.  However, it wasn't a huge meal.  just a couple hundred calories will do to aid recovery.

funny- I'm not usually hungry right after a long run/ride.  although, the next day I'll eat anything that isn't nailed down.

It's possible that the term "meal" is being used to cover all instances of eating even though it's not what we usually think of as one. I don't really like that use though as it's way too easy to look right past the quantity. 

I haven't seen it necessary to eat immediately after all workouts as things just simply aren't depleted that much all the time. Just being sensible in general is often enough. I just did a lighter 40' bike workout that did include a few minutes at and over threshold, and then ran easy for a few miles. Seems about what a lot of people may put in. There just isn't the overall stress in that workout to need big recovery from. Definitely agree with watching what we eat, but also watch in going overboard in obsessing about everything.

2014-09-16 7:56 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Pro

Originally posted by brigby1

It's possible that the term "meal" is being used to cover all instances of eating even though it's not what we usually think of as one. I don't really like that use though as it's way too easy to look right past the quantity. 

I haven't seen it necessary to eat immediately after all workouts as things just simply aren't depleted that much all the time. Just being sensible in general is often enough. I just did a lighter 40' bike workout that did include a few minutes at and over threshold, and then ran easy for a few miles. Seems about what a lot of people may put in. There just isn't the overall stress in that workout to need big recovery from. Definitely agree with watching what we eat, but also watch in going overboard in obsessing about everything.

Turn in your triathlon card, you are not worthy.

2014-09-16 10:12 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by brigby1

Turn in your triathlon card, you are not worthy.

Well last tri of the year was 2 days ago. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Fueling Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Fuel or no fuel

Started by jsklarz
Views: 619 Posts: 2

2010-07-15 9:57 PM cardenas1

IM Fuel Belt or no Fuel Belt... That is the question! Pages: 1 2 3

Started by crea0029
Views: 3771 Posts: 70

2009-02-18 12:32 PM Scout7

bento box/fuel belt

Started by thegomer
Views: 1420 Posts: 11

2006-01-31 6:57 PM Joe M

Fuel belt vs. Amphipod

Started by TriBodyboarder
Views: 1651 Posts: 10

2005-07-06 1:20 PM TriBodyboarder

A question for Mommies out there...about liquid fuel

Started by Freenthec
Views: 1006 Posts: 10

2005-06-04 11:47 AM jkbostic
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 8, 2013
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
Performance starts with fueling, not training! This article provides nutrition tips for ultra-endurance athletes as well as ordinary exercisers who want ultra-energy.

date : May 1, 2006
comments : 1
Below are just a few tips from sports dietitians and other health professionals who help active people transform their food fears into peaceful fueling.
date : March 5, 2006
Many athletes train hard but fail to fuel their bodies at the right times with the right foods. Sound familiar? You might want to think about getting a nutrition check up with a sports dietitian.

date : April 18, 2005
The following is a sneak peak at Nancy Clark’s upcoming book on endurance nutrition - The Cyclist’s Food Guide: Fueling for the Distance
date : April 3, 2005
author : dara
Planing a successful nutrition strategy of fueling for your first Ironman triathlon.

date : January 24, 2005
author : BrianPBN
As every veteran athlete can attest, a non-existent or ill planned ‘race meal plan’ will leave you falling far short of your goals or even worse, in the medical tent.
date : January 24, 2005
comments : 1
You know what you should eat. Yet you just don’t want to. Yuck—whole wheat bread, bran cereal, oatmeal, skim milk, spinach, fish, fruit for snacks and desserts.

date : December 12, 2004
As an athlete who shows responsibility by training hard, you'll miss the boat if you are irresponsible with fueling your hard worked body.