of 3

2014-09-25 7:47 AM
in reply to: gsmacleod

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX
Subject: RE: Good article from Chrissie

Originally posted by gsmacleod
Originally posted by happyscientist I know, and have seen people posting on various internet forums about how they have to know their VO2 max or how they can't train without a heart rate monitor. And I can't count the number of people who insist that they can buy speed.
You can certainly buy speed and depending on your goals and available funds, go fast toys can be great. However, when you are head and shoulders above the entire field, then you can still win without optimizing equipment choices. However, she did start paying more attention to the details as the gap between her and the rest of the field closed. Shane

Had Chrissie continued on she would have eventually made the switch to optimal equipment.  She would have had no choice.  The field was closing on her and she would have started to lose.  Craig Alexander had a similar level of arrogance/ignorance when it came to his equipment.  He was winning the majority of races he entered (albeit not like Chrissie) and was on a tear at Kona.  He didn't ride a super bike, he didn't use an aero helmet, he had bottles hanging all over his bike, etc.  What happened?  He was taken to school at Kona in 2010 and he realized he had to start paying attention to his equipment choices.  Ditched that POS Orbea, put on an aero lid, ditched all the bottles creating drag... and look at what happened in 2011.

Chrissie would have needed to do the same.  Get rid of that POS Cannondale, get an aero lid, and pay attention to equipment.

It's not a mutually exclusive thing here.  You can be a genetic god, train like an animal, have the will to win... and ride top notch equipment.  Especially when the top notch equipment is free.

2014-09-25 12:01 PM
in reply to: GMAN 19030

User image

Thanks for posting the article, OP. Will read what Ms. Wellington has to say every day of the week.
2014-09-25 4:00 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by GMAN 19030

Chrissie would have needed to do the same.  Get rid of that POS Cannondale, get an aero lid, and pay attention to equipment.

You do realize that POS Cannondale, a road helmet and virtually no equipment are still on display as the fastest ironman bike split ever by a woman, right? It's been over 4 years.

Edited by chris948 2014-09-25 4:00 PM
2014-09-25 4:29 PM
in reply to: chris948

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by chris948
Originally posted by GMAN 19030 Chrissie would have needed to do the same.  Get rid of that POS Cannondale, get an aero lid, and pay attention to equipment.
You do realize that POS Cannondale, a road helmet and virtually no equipment are still on display as the fastest ironman bike split ever by a woman, right? It's been over 4 years.

Trying to be clear on what you believe the takeaway from that is?

2014-09-25 6:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

Originally posted by GMAN 19030 Chrissie would have needed to do the same.  Get rid of that POS Cannondale, get an aero lid, and pay attention to equipment.

You do realize it would've been even faster on a super bike while wearing an aero helmet, right?

2014-09-25 6:44 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by Fred D 2014-09-25 6:45 PM

2014-09-25 7:11 PM

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

3 (2 and 3 are kind of one in the same) and 4

Edited by GMAN 19030 2014-09-25 7:12 PM
2014-09-25 7:51 PM
in reply to: GMAN 19030

You do realize it would've been even faster on a super bike while wearing an aero helmet, right?

Sort of like how Carfrae went from that exact same Slice Chrissie was riding...eventually to a Felt IA.  Carfrae rode 5:14 on that Slice...the same year Chrissie broke the bike course record.  Last year she rode 4:58 on her Felt IA.  Also of note was her improved choice of aero helmets.

2014-09-25 7:55 PM
in reply to: Jason N

Pro

Originally posted by Jason N

Sort of like how Carfrae went from that exact same Slice Chrissie was riding...eventually to a Felt IA.  Carfrae rode 5:14 on that Slice...the same year Chrissie broke the bike course record.  Last year she rode 4:58 on her Felt IA.  Also of note was her improved choice of aero helmets.

What do you know about the differences in her training? 

2014-09-25 8:05 PM
in reply to: Fred D

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Fred D

Originally posted by brigby1

I think the takeaway is that some people see more in black and white and some people see more in grey.

Fastest women long course athlete since PNF rides a lower end aero bike and STILL wins, leads to several analyses:

1. "This proves aero stuff is worthless"

2. "This proves it's all about the engine:

3. "This means she was that much greater than her competition and could win despite less attention to aeroness"

4. "This means she could have been even faster on a better aero bike"

Which one are you? ;-)

What happens if I point out that it's Carfrae who has the course record?

2014-09-25 8:25 PM
in reply to: brigby1

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by Fred D

I think the takeaway is that some people see more in black and white and some people see more in grey.

Fastest women long course athlete since PNF rides a lower end aero bike and STILL wins, leads to several analyses:

1. "This proves aero stuff is worthless"

2. "This proves it's all about the engine:

3. "This means she was that much greater than her competition and could win despite less attention to aeroness"

4. "This means she could have been even faster on a better aero bike"

Which one are you? ;-)

anarchy

2014-09-25 8:38 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

Originally posted by Left Brain

I don't know anything specific.  I understand I'm going into the realm of correlation equaling causation, but I think it's pretty obvious to us all that better aerodynamics will make you faster on the bike.  Crowie is another example.  4:37, 4:37, 4:38 on his Orbea with a road helmet.  Moves to a Shiv and a aero helmet...4:24, and for the first time is off the bike with the lead bike pack in Kona.  I mean...it's not like he was having a bad day those years he rode 4:37-4:38.  He won two of those years and the one year he didn't win...he still ran the fastest marathon of the day under 2:42.  Crowie's last two bike splits were 4:40, and 4:44, but he also ran 3:00 and 3:07...so you could say he wasn't on his best day.

2014-09-25 8:39 PM
in reply to: brigby1

I think the reference was to the bike course record.

2014-09-25 8:44 PM

Pro

I don't know anything specific.  I understand I'm going into the realm of correlation equaling causation, but I think it's pretty obvious to us all that better aerodynamics will make you faster on the bike.  Crowie is another example.  4:37, 4:37, 4:38 on his Orbea with a road helmet.  Moves to a Shiv and a aero helmet...4:24, and for the first time is off the bike with the lead bike pack in Kona.  I mean...it's not like he was having a bad day those years he rode 4:37-4:38.  He won two of those years and the one year he didn't win...he still ran the fastest marathon of the day under 2:42.  Crowie's last two bike splits were 4:40, and 4:44, but he also ran 3:00 and 3:07...so you could say he wasn't on his best day.

Yes, no way to argue that better aero isn't better/faster.......but I would stop short of some of the stuff I see that says if you do X you will gain Y watts.  Everyone is a different animal.  I think some people get the idea, from reading some of this stuff, that they will become automatically exponentially faster with a tri bike, or with new wheels, helmet etc......quite a few are disappointed.  Helmet is one of my favorites.......how many posts do you see about the watts you can gain with this helmet or that.....then you see someone riding it and the tail is stuck straight up in the air because their head is down sucking air because they are gassed.......not faster, slower. 

Edited by Left Brain 2014-09-25 8:51 PM
2014-09-26 6:29 AM

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia

Yes, no way to argue that better aero isn't better/faster.......but I would stop short of some of the stuff I see that says if you do X you will gain Y watts.  Everyone is a different animal.  I think some people get the idea, from reading some of this stuff, that they will become automatically exponentially faster with a tri bike, or with new wheels, helmet etc......quite a few are disappointed.  Helmet is one of my favorites.......how many posts do you see about the watts you can gain with this helmet or that.....then you see someone riding it and the tail is stuck straight up in the air because their head is down sucking air because they are gassed.......not faster, slower. 

While having the tail sticking up in the air flow is certainly not optimal, for many, having the tail of an aero helmet sticking up can still be better than a standard road helmet with perfect head position. I did some testing with the two aero helmets and a couple of road helmets (the aero ones were an LG Prologue and a Giro Advantage 2); tail up the LG was no worse than the road helmets and the Giro was slightly faster.

Shane
2014-09-26 6:39 AM

Pro

Originally posted by gsmacl'teod
Originally posted by Left Brain Yes, no way to argue that better aero isn't better/faster.......but I would stop short of some of the stuff I see that says if you do X you will gain Y watts.  Everyone is a different animal.  I think some people get the idea, from reading some of this stuff, that they will become automatically exponentially faster with a tri bike, or with new wheels, helmet etc......quite a few are disappointed.  Helmet is one of my favorites.......how many posts do you see about the watts you can gain with this helmet or that.....then you see someone riding it and the tail is stuck straight up in the air because their head is down sucking air because they are gassed.......not faster, slower. 
While having the tail sticking up in the air flow is certainly not optimal, for many, having the tail of an aero helmet sticking up can still be better than a standard road helmet with perfect head position. I did some testing with the two aero helmets and a couple of road helmets (the aero ones were an LG Prologue and a Giro Advantage 2); tail up the LG was no worse than the road helmets and the Giro was slightly faster. Shane

"No worse" and "slightly faster" is quite a bit less than is usually quoted......and I'll stick with slower for most aero helmets with longer tails than the two you mentioned.  Wheels is another deal....same thing.  I put zipp 404's and Cosmic SR's on my daughters road bike for a TT trial this summer.....she was slower on both than her stock Bontrager RaceXL's that came on her bike.  Yeah, I'm sure there were other factors....heat, wind, etc.....but I think people get the idea that the gains will be much bigger and so worth the 2 grand or whatever they spend on them......not always enough to justify that kind of money IMO.

Edited by Left Brain 2014-09-26 6:42 AM

2014-09-26 7:04 AM

Extreme Veteran
I think people get the idea that the gains will be much bigger and so worth the 2 grand or whatever they spend on them......not always enough to justify that kind of money IMO.

Just out of curiosity, how much gain do you expect from the Zipp Sub 9 disc you WTB and how much will it cost ?
2014-09-26 7:04 AM

This ^^ plus a host of other possibilities like weather and strategy. Same with Crowie, you decide to prioritize the bike.

It's crazy that a unbeaten long course champion and multiple record holder who trained under some of the most succesful coaches in triathlon gives a few simple blurbs to a magazine and a bunch of armchair quarterbacks sit around and explain how they would have made her faster.

It's also a funny coincidence that the biggest arguers have nice bikes in their profile pics, probably more aero than hers.
2014-09-26 7:24 AM
in reply to: Jason N

Master
Northern IL

I think the reference was to the bike course record.

It was. The people being discussed were up for best ever, so brought this up as there were too many half-thoughts being said.

2014-09-26 7:28 AM

Master
Northern IL

This ^^ plus a host of other possibilities like weather and strategy. Same with Crowie, you decide to prioritize the bike. It's crazy that a unbeaten long course champion and multiple record holder who trained under some of the most succesful coaches in triathlon gives a few simple blurbs to a magazine and a bunch of armchair quarterbacks sit around and explain how they would have made her faster. It's also a funny coincidence that the biggest arguers have nice bikes in their profile pics, probably more aero than hers.

The critique in no way mean that what she says is being discounted or that anyone doesn't respect the heck out of what she's been able to accomplish. Just that people are thinking for themselves.

2014-09-26 7:31 AM

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia

"No worse" and "slightly faster" is quite a bit less than is usually quoted......and I'll stick with slower for most aero helmets with longer tails than the two you mentioned.  Wheels is another deal....same thing.  I put zipp 404's and Cosmic SR's on my daughters road bike for a TT trial this summer.....she was slower on both than her stock Bontrager RaceXL's that came on her bike.  Yeah, I'm sure there were other factors....heat, wind, etc.....but I think people get the idea that the gains will be much bigger and so worth the 2 grand or whatever they spend on them......not always enough to justify that kind of money IMO.

Just for an idea of the savings I am looking at (based on lots of testing when I was training wit power):

Road helmet to aero helmet (Advantage 2 which has a fairly long tail) - 1s/km
Race wheels (Hed Alps with disc cover) over 32 spoke training wheels - 2-2.5s/km depending on conditions
Race tires with latex tubes (Evos) vs PR3 with butyl - 0.5-1s/km

So, at worst (assuming I didn't move my head around much) I was looking at 3.5s/km saved and up to 4s/km; not a huge savings that many expect (I put on race wheels and gained 2mph!) but I was certainly happy with saving over two minutes over 40km just with some simple (and fairly cheap) purchases. I could have likely squeezed out some more time with better wheels since the Alps aren't that great but better than my training wheels.

Shane

2014-09-26 7:31 AM
in reply to: marcag

Pro

Originally posted by marcag
Originally posted by Left Brain I think people get the idea that the gains will be much bigger and so worth the 2 grand or whatever they spend on them......not always enough to justify that kind of money IMO.
Just out of curiosity, how much gain do you expect from the Zipp Sub 9 disc you WTB and how much will it cost ?

Well, he doesn't race with a PM in sprint races so I can't give you watts.  But he took the zipp disc from his cycling team to both National and World sprint and the valve seemed to be malfunctioning so he didn't have any confidence in it...so he rode his 404's.  He had the disc at Chicago when he put up the fastest bike split in the field, but he was not as fast at Nationals or Worlds......our best guess, comparing his times to quite a few people that he races regularly, is that he gave up 15-25 seconds without the disc.  For him, finishing in the top of his age group at those races and just off the overall podium, those seconds are huge.  20 seconds at Nationals was the difference between 5th place overall and 3rd place overall, at worlds he was in the range to move from 3rd to 2nd.....so it's all relative isn't it?  20 seconds for a lot of racers might make the difference between 100th place and 105th place......worth 2 grand?  I guess if that's what you want to spend your money on.  My point is that most people are led to believe there will be HUGE gains.....that's really not fair to them when that kind of money is in play.

2014-09-26 7:34 AM
in reply to: gsmacleod

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
I leave BT for 48 hours and come back to find this thread went in a different direction then I intentioned. Oh well, but everything comes back to data and gear.
2014-09-26 7:43 AM

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

This ^^ plus a host of other possibilities like weather and strategy. Same with Crowie, you decide to prioritize the bike. It's crazy that a unbeaten long course champion and multiple record holder who trained under some of the most succesful coaches in triathlon gives a few simple blurbs to a magazine and a bunch of armchair quarterbacks sit around and explain how they would have made her faster. It's also a funny coincidence that the biggest arguers have nice bikes in their profile pics, probably more aero than hers.

So rules of science do not apply in your world?

Chrissie won in spite of her equipment choices.  Which is quite a testament to her but it also shows a level of ignorance and arrogance that would have eventually caught up to her.

Yes, my bike and my position are more aero than Chrissie's ever was.  I don't have her engine.  What's your point?  As I stated earlier, these things don't need to be mutually exclusive.  She could have used optimal equipment but chose not to at that time.  She got out of the game before the game caught up to her.

2014-09-26 7:44 AM

Pro

Originally posted by gsmacleod
Originally posted by Left Brain "No worse" and "slightly faster" is quite a bit less than is usually quoted......and I'll stick with slower for most aero helmets with longer tails than the two you mentioned.  Wheels is another deal....same thing.  I put zipp 404's and Cosmic SR's on my daughters road bike for a TT trial this summer.....she was slower on both than her stock Bontrager RaceXL's that came on her bike.  Yeah, I'm sure there were other factors....heat, wind, etc.....but I think people get the idea that the gains will be much bigger and so worth the 2 grand or whatever they spend on them......not always enough to justify that kind of money IMO.
Just for an idea of the savings I am looking at (based on lots of testing when I was training wit power): Road helmet to aero helmet (Advantage 2 which has a fairly long tail) - 1s/km Race wheels (Hed Alps with disc cover) over 32 spoke training wheels - 2-2.5s/km depending on conditions Race tires with latex tubes (Evos) vs PR3 with butyl - 0.5-1s/km So, at worst (assuming I didn't move my head around much) I was looking at 3.5s/km saved and up to 4s/km; not a huge savings that many expect (I put on race wheels and gained 2mph!) but I was certainly happy with saving over two minutes over 40km just with some simple (and fairly cheap) purchases. I could have likely squeezed out some more time with better wheels since the Alps aren't that great but better than my training wheels. Shane

I wouldn't argue that an aero helmet doesn't save time.....my point was that for  lot of people, it doesn't save NEAR as much time as you are talking about because of a host of other issues.....riding position being the biggest.  Again, throwing this kind of stuff out to people who think it will give them huge time gains, at the cost of some of this equipment, is not really fair to them.

Edited by Left Brain 2014-09-26 7:52 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Good article from Chrissie Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

Another good post by Chrissie:

Started by Bodaggit
Views: 842 Posts: 1

2012-08-06 10:24 AM Bodaggit

Chrissie Wellington Article

Started by BrianRunsPhilly
Views: 1295 Posts: 14

2012-02-21 8:11 PM ericwjacobson

Great article about Chrissie Wellington

Started by sarah927
Views: 709 Posts: 1

2009-04-20 10:57 AM sarah927

good OW article

Started by madeye
Views: 637 Posts: 1

2005-03-24 5:01 PM madeye

Open Water Swim article (LONG, but good)

Started by lifesgreat
Views: 3085 Posts: 8

2010-07-15 2:23 PM itsallrelative_Maine
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 9, 2011
author : Competitor.com
comments : 0
Interviews from the January 22, 2011 EnduranceLive Consumer Show and Gala by Competitor.com

date : December 11, 2007
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
Searching for the perfect gift for a friend, relative, or teammate? Here's a list of winning book suggestions for active people.
date : April 2, 2006
author : TriDoc5280
comments : 2
This article will cover the basics on the nutritional needs of athletes and will include some standard recommendations from neutral bodies.

date : July 31, 2005
author : Mottyl
comments : 6
I had read the articles on BT, I'd trained, and I thought I had prepared. There were, however, a few things that I didn't internalize despite what I'd been told.
date : August 31, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 0
Access to more articles, full training log features, an entire detailed training plan library and plan support - plus many additional perks.