General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Good article from Chrissie Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2014-09-24 12:03 PM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Subject: Good article from Chrissie
Just read a good article from CW, its applicable to triathlon and life itself. Lots of key takeaways from people of all ability levels and goals. Thought I would share.

http://www.220triathlon.com/training/beginners/chrissie-wellingtons...

2014-09-24 12:15 PM
in reply to: bcagle25

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Good article from Chrissie

"Basically it meant recovering quickly to withstand the stress of high-intensity
training day in, day out without fatigue."

"The main volume change boiled down to increases in
the length of the longer run and longer ride, but I still never rode over five
hours and never ran over 2:20hrs. In short, don’t become obsessed by kilometres
or time; quality is the key in your sessions."

That will never work. /SARC!! 

2014-09-24 12:26 PM
in reply to: bcagle25

User image

That was a really good article. Thanks for posting it. I can virtually hear people getting upset at this part:

"Yes, I was fortunate that as a sponsored athlete I had access to some fantastic equipment, but I never had my power measured, never had my heart rate measured, never had my VO2max measured, never went into the wind-tunnel, and any bike set-up sessions were for my lower back rather than aerodynamics… I simply had equipment that I trusted to do the job.

"I’ll give you an example. I bought my first pair of Brooks racing flats just three days before Ironman Hawaii in 2007. They were the ones that fitted; I really liked them; I stuck with them. Brooks didn’t actually sponsor me for another two years.

"As for the bike, originally I rode a Cervélo before signing to Cannondale. But the two bikes – the P2 and Slice – were similar. They weren’t top-of-the-range. They were functional, they worked for me, and I understood them mechanically, which was important.

"I always rode clinchers. Why? Because there’s little difference between tubulars and clinchers, and I train on clinchers. I know how to change a clincher tyre and that gives me peace of mind and confidence.

"It’s all about having equipment that’s fit for purpose and trusting in it. I’m not a weight-weenie and I didn’t start shaving things off to enjoy every single advantage. I focused my efforts on having a body and mind that was as powerful as it could be. At 140km into a bike, it’s your mind that’s telling you to quit – it doesn’t matter what bike’s beneath you."
2014-09-24 1:15 PM
in reply to: happyscientist

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Originally posted by happyscientist That was a really good article. Thanks for posting it. I can virtually hear people getting upset at this part: "Yes, I was fortunate that as a sponsored athlete I had access to some fantastic equipment, but I never had my power measured, never had my heart rate measured, never had my VO2max measured, never went into the wind-tunnel, and any bike set-up sessions were for my lower back rather than aerodynamics… I simply had equipment that I trusted to do the job. "I’ll give you an example. I bought my first pair of Brooks racing flats just three days before Ironman Hawaii in 2007. They were the ones that fitted; I really liked them; I stuck with them. Brooks didn’t actually sponsor me for another two years. "As for the bike, originally I rode a Cervélo before signing to Cannondale. But the two bikes – the P2 and Slice – were similar. They weren’t top-of-the-range. They were functional, they worked for me, and I understood them mechanically, which was important. "I always rode clinchers. Why? Because there’s little difference between tubulars and clinchers, and I train on clinchers. I know how to change a clincher tyre and that gives me peace of mind and confidence. "It’s all about having equipment that’s fit for purpose and trusting in it. I’m not a weight-weenie and I didn’t start shaving things off to enjoy every single advantage. I focused my efforts on having a body and mind that was as powerful as it could be. At 140km into a bike, it’s your mind that’s telling you to quit – it doesn’t matter what bike’s beneath you."

Not sure why that would upset anybody?

2014-09-24 1:24 PM
in reply to: 0

Volume is still crucially important for the AGer. 

What Chrissie doesn't say is that she was training 25-30 hours per week at peak . At that volume, of COURSE it's not going to help by adding yet other volume.

She would change her advice dramatically for a MOP AGer seeking to improve who was training 7-8 hours per week. I guarantee she would recommend significant volume increases in their cases (as well as intensity increases eventually.

Edited by yazmaster 2014-09-24 1:26 PM
2014-09-24 1:34 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ben,

thanks for posting

She would would definitely be one of those people that "if you could have dinner with someone, who would it be" would make the top 10.

She's probably around 9th....at this point :-) But top 6 are not triathletes

Edited by marcag 2014-09-24 1:39 PM

2014-09-24 1:49 PM
in reply to: JohnnyKay

User image

Originally posted by JohnnyKay

Originally posted by happyscientist That was a really good article. Thanks for posting it. I can virtually hear people getting upset at this part: "Yes, I was fortunate that as a sponsored athlete I had access to some fantastic equipment, but I never had my power measured, never had my heart rate measured, never had my VO2max measured, never went into the wind-tunnel, and any bike set-up sessions were for my lower back rather than aerodynamics… I simply had equipment that I trusted to do the job. "I’ll give you an example. I bought my first pair of Brooks racing flats just three days before Ironman Hawaii in 2007. They were the ones that fitted; I really liked them; I stuck with them. Brooks didn’t actually sponsor me for another two years. "As for the bike, originally I rode a Cervélo before signing to Cannondale. But the two bikes – the P2 and Slice – were similar. They weren’t top-of-the-range. They were functional, they worked for me, and I understood them mechanically, which was important. "I always rode clinchers. Why? Because there’s little difference between tubulars and clinchers, and I train on clinchers. I know how to change a clincher tyre and that gives me peace of mind and confidence. "It’s all about having equipment that’s fit for purpose and trusting in it. I’m not a weight-weenie and I didn’t start shaving things off to enjoy every single advantage. I focused my efforts on having a body and mind that was as powerful as it could be. At 140km into a bike, it’s your mind that’s telling you to quit – it doesn’t matter what bike’s beneath you."

Not sure why that would upset anybody?

I know, and have seen people posting on various internet forums about how they have to know their VO2 max or how they can't train without a heart rate monitor. And I can't count the number of people who insist that they can buy speed.

Her advice seems very simple--focus on your body and your mind, not data, and be comfortable with your gear.
2014-09-24 2:18 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by happyscientist
Her advice seems very simple--focus on your body and your mind, not data, and be comfortable with your gear.

Yet, in other interviews, she admits she pushed it to the point it was unhealthy.
2014-09-24 2:28 PM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia

I know, and have seen people posting on various internet forums about how they have to know their VO2 max or how they can't train without a heart rate monitor. And I can't count the number of people who insist that they can buy speed.

You can certainly buy speed and depending on your goals and available funds, go fast toys can be great.

However, when you are head and shoulders above the entire field, then you can still win without optimizing equipment choices. However, she did start paying more attention to the details as the gap between her and the rest of the field closed.

Shane
2014-09-24 2:30 PM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

I know, and have seen people posting on various internet forums about how they have to know their VO2 max or how they can't train without a heart rate monitor. And I can't count the number of people who insist that they can buy speed. Her advice seems very simple--focus on your body and your mind, not data, and be comfortable with your gear.

Well, you can "buy speed" in the sense you can buy more aerodynamic bike equipment or hydrodynamic wetsuit.  And she had other people to take care of the "data" (even if they didn't track some of the things you might suspect are important).  You can always make the most gains by doing the things that affect the engine (body & mind).  But, beyond that, there are certainly other things you can do.  That she didn't bother just shows she probably left something on the table.  It might not have been very much and she certainly didn't seem to need it to have success.  That part is true for anybody.

2014-09-24 2:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Chrisse is the exception, not the rule. Just because she didn't know which end of the bike was the front, doesn't mean that you shouldn't. I would trade my shiny toys for her mental toughness though.

2014-09-24 2:44 PM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Just like I said, I can virtually hear people getting upset.
2014-09-24 2:58 PM

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

I like Chrissie, but hate this kind of article. Now anyone who runs across it will use it as gospel.

It should have been titled "The top ways I, Chrissie Wellington, was successful at Ironman"

2014-09-24 3:38 PM

Originally posted by BikerGrrrl

I like Chrissie, but hate this kind of article. Now anyone who runs across it will use it as gospel.

It should have been titled "The top ways I, Chrissie Wellington, was successful at Ironman"

I read Chrissie book as well as Macca's.

Honestly, the secret for both of them - good genetics (not such a big secret, I know.)

Chrissie, with almost no bike/run training, DOMINATED all her bike and run races early on, shocking everyone including experienced coaches. She was dominating on a borrowed bike even in roadie (nontri) bike races. She won Kona without training specifically for Kona, only entering it because Brett Sutton saw how amazing she was doing in training, and just entered her in last-minute.

Macca, in his book, goes on and on about how important his mental strength and diligence to details are - and then completely glosses over the part where he literally starts his book off as a "not-that serious athlete" who happened to accidentally become the Australian youth national running champion, fast enough to enter a high-level youth triathlon in HS on a whim, and win it because he was so fast on the run.

It's honestly challenging for the AGer to take their advice without understanding where these pros started in the first place. Sure, they worked hard to really get to the top of their game, but both of these two started wayyyy out in front, like world-beating front even before they 'got serious.' 

Edited by yazmaster 2014-09-24 3:39 PM
2014-09-24 3:44 PM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Originally posted by happyscientist Just like I said, I can virtually hear people getting upset.

Only "upset" (I'm not upset at all, just think you are putting words in her mouth and taking things out of context) with your interpretation of what she said.

2014-09-24 4:16 PM

User image

I think it's a great article.

No one person, even if they are the best athlete in the world, will have all the answers for everyone. But we can learn a lot by seeing how the best athletes train.

2014-09-24 5:01 PM
in reply to: jennifer_runs

, Wisconsin
Originally posted by jennifer_runs

I think it's a great article.

No one person, even if they are the best athlete in the world, will have all the answers for everyone. But we can learn a lot by seeing how the best athletes train.

Well said!
2014-09-24 10:12 PM

User image

Originally posted by yazmaster

Originally posted by BikerGrrrl

I read Chrissie book as well as Macca's.

Honestly, the secret for both of them - good genetics (not such a big secret, I know.)

Chrissie, with almost no bike/run training, DOMINATED all her bike and run races early on, shocking everyone including experienced coaches.

I don't know what to tell you except maybe learn to read better and give the book another pass? Did you miss all of the mountain biking for fun? If that's not training, you're crazy. Her and macca both grew up swimming competitively, that doesn't hurt.

Yes genetics plays a part but to pretend she didn't work her off is insane. It's amazing how everyone applies highschool physics and assumptions given by the companies that sell aero products and power meters as gospel when the winners consistently keep it very simple. I read Macca's book too, his FTP gets less emphasis than your average bloggers local sprint tri.

If she should say " the top ways I was successful" what pro exactly tells a drastically different story?

Edited by chris948 2014-09-24 10:20 PM
2014-09-24 10:16 PM
in reply to: jennifer_runs

Originally posted by jennifer_runs I think it's a great article. No one person, even if they are the best athlete in the world, will have all the answers for everyone. But we can learn a lot by seeing how the best athletes train.

Training is different for everyone.  Exactly, why not look at the way pros train (or how they have been trained). Chrissie is an animal, I would want to learn from that because it's going to push me to new levels too. Love what you do! 

2014-09-24 10:25 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by TreadandButter

Originally posted by jennifer_runs I think it's a great article. No one person, even if they are the best athlete in the world, will have all the answers for everyone. But we can learn a lot by seeing how the best athletes train.

Training is different for everyone.  Exactly, why not look at the way pros train (or how they have been trained). Chrissie is an animal, I would want to learn from that because it's going to push me to new levels too. Love what you do! 

Yep.

Fisherman said it best a few months ago......"it's not advice for the elite, it's elite advice". 

The truth is, the very fastest among us don't train like most of us.....that's what separates them.  What usually passes for good advice on most of these boards comes from MOP racers, at least at any level beyond their own backyard.  People will listen to what pro baseball players do to get better, what pro basketball players do, tennis payers, blah,blah,blah.......but for some reason mere duffers in triathlon become experts and the truly good in the sport are overlooked as some kind of freaks that have special powers, so what they do cannot possibly carry over for the rest of us........dumb.

Edited by Left Brain 2014-09-24 10:33 PM
2014-09-24 10:26 PM
in reply to: #5053538

Veteran
agreed on the training. her 'fun' was riding the alps and the himalayas with the locals long before she started triathlon. she was born better, but she did work hard on it even if she thought it was fun. also, when did the gap close? she consistently crushed her competition - even in her last race with serious injuried, torn muscles, infected road rash -- she still won. while the times may have been relatively close, the rest of the field wasnt even close.

2014-09-25 3:29 AM
in reply to: sheesleeva

User image

Champion
Originally posted by sheesleeva

agreed on the training. her 'fun' was riding the alps and the himalayas with the locals long before she started triathlon. she was born better, but she did work hard on it even if she thought it was fun. also, when did the gap close? she consistently crushed her competition - even in her last race with serious injuried, torn muscles, infected road rash -- she still won. while the times may have been relatively close, the rest of the field wasnt even close.

The gap was certainly closing; while Chrissie was still dominant, the remainder of the field was getting closer. When she first hit the IM scene, she was in a different league and many others felt when she was in the race, they were racing for second. Toward the end, while they still weren't beating her, they were racing thinking they could beat her.

Shane
2014-09-25 3:57 AM

User image

Champion
Originally posted by Left Brain

Fisherman said it best a few months ago......"it's not advice for the elite, it's elite advice".

While always interesting to hear how the pros train, it is probably best viewed as advice from the elite. It might be great, it might be terrible. One need not look very far to see elites and former elites that have little to no understanding of how training works; they just get a plan and put in the work.

The truth is, the very fastest among us don't train like most of us.....that's what separates them.

This is really a chicken-egg thing; elites, or those with elite aspirations, are fast from the start and almost invariably have the ability to tolerate a much higher training stress than most.

What usually passes for good advice on most of these boards comes from MOP racers, at least at any level beyond their own backyard.  People will listen to what pro baseball players do to get better, what pro basketball players do, tennis payers, blah,blah,blah.......but for some reason mere duffers in triathlon become experts and the truly good in the sport are overlooked as some kind of freaks that have special powers, so what they do cannot possibly carry over for the rest of us........dumb.

But the elites are special - both genetically and in the amount they are willing to work. When I coached volleyball, I'd often talk to basketball players that sat on the bench because while I could teach someone to hit/block/serve, I couldn't teach someone to be 6'6". Same with triathlon - find someone who has talent for swimming and running, has a talent for endurance sport, give them a good training plan and they are going to going to have success. OTOH, someone who, despite years of swimming and running has 1500m swim of 21, a 5k of 25 and VO2max of 45mL/minkg, even with the best training, they're probably never going to see elite times.

While I agree looking to the elites can be useful, one needs to consider the whole picture and not just a snap shot of a week or a couple of key workouts. Then, one needs to be able to apply the principles of why those workouts are effective to an appropriate workout for an AGer.

Shane

Edited by gsmacleod 2014-09-25 3:58 AM
2014-09-25 5:41 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Left Brain
The truth is, the very fastest among us don't train like most of us.....that's what separates them.  What usually passes for good advice on most of these boards comes from MOP racers, at least at any level beyond their own backyard.  People will listen to what pro baseball players do to get better, what pro basketball players do, tennis payers, blah,blah,blah.......but for some reason mere duffers in triathlon become experts and the truly good in the sport are overlooked as some kind of freaks that have special powers, so what they do cannot possibly carry over for the rest of us........dumb.

The truth is even the very fast people don't train the same, and the opinion of one may be in violent contradiction with another.

So a person has to pick and choose the things he believes will work for him. Granted that when one opinion is repeated 100 times while another is said once, the 100 times has a tendency to be heard.

Given there are more voices of MOP athletes, for sure MOP athlete opinions are more heard. But the smart people are able to figure out who to listen to. And if they don't have time for that, they hire a coach they trust to do it.

2014-09-25 7:26 AM
in reply to: marcag

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Good article from Chrissie Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

Another good post by Chrissie:

Started by Bodaggit
Views: 843 Posts: 1

2012-08-06 10:24 AM Bodaggit

Chrissie Wellington Article

Started by BrianRunsPhilly
Views: 1296 Posts: 14

2012-02-21 8:11 PM ericwjacobson

Great article about Chrissie Wellington

Started by sarah927
Views: 709 Posts: 1

2009-04-20 10:57 AM sarah927

good OW article

Started by madeye
Views: 637 Posts: 1

2005-03-24 5:01 PM madeye

Open Water Swim article (LONG, but good)

Started by lifesgreat
Views: 3086 Posts: 8

2010-07-15 2:23 PM itsallrelative_Maine
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 9, 2011
author : Competitor.com
comments : 0
Interviews from the January 22, 2011 EnduranceLive Consumer Show and Gala by Competitor.com

date : December 11, 2007
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
Searching for the perfect gift for a friend, relative, or teammate? Here's a list of winning book suggestions for active people.
date : April 2, 2006
author : TriDoc5280
comments : 2
This article will cover the basics on the nutritional needs of athletes and will include some standard recommendations from neutral bodies.

date : July 31, 2005
author : Mottyl
comments : 6
I had read the articles on BT, I'd trained, and I thought I had prepared. There were, however, a few things that I didn't internalize despite what I'd been told.
date : August 31, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 0
Access to more articles, full training log features, an entire detailed training plan library and plan support - plus many additional perks.