of 5

2014-10-14 5:11 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Kona World Championships!
Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by spudone

Olympic distance is a little better for the good swimmers, I agree.  But ITU is not.

If you throw someone like Potts in a draft legal race, he's better off loafing to stay with the "lead" swimmers.  Getting ahead a couple minutes is just going to cause you to bike alone and you probably won't stay off the front for long.

Swimming is MORE marginalized in an IM by being such a small component.  But it takes on less importance in all triathons simply because it is first.

Except that if you can't swim you really aren't in the race. 

If you are FOMOP on the swim, AT THE IM DISTANCE, you can be in the race, even for the younger AGs.
You can't for the run or bike.

Edited by marcag 2014-10-14 5:11 PM

2014-10-14 5:34 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

New user
penticton
there is very little room left for improvement on the swim at the ironman distance. in 10-15 years...the guys will still be swimming 49-50min. The level of swimmers at the front is already exceptional (potts, Frodo, etc) but it s simply not logical to redline a 2.4 miles swim at the start of a 8h day. So with 15:30/1500m level swimmers swimming at steady state... it leave enough room for guy like me at 18:00/1500m to sit behind them and enjoy the ride.

bring all the ITU guys you want....what they will see is that leading the swim is a lot of work...and everyone behind as the skill to draft so you are just slaving for others. Guys need to step up in the running department.....
2014-10-14 5:37 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by marcag

Olympic distance is a little better for the good swimmers, I agree.  But ITU is not.

If you throw someone like Potts in a draft legal race, he's better off loafing to stay with the "lead" swimmers.  Getting ahead a couple minutes is just going to cause you to bike alone and you probably won't stay off the front for long.

Swimming is MORE marginalized in an IM by being such a small component.  But it takes on less importance in all triathons simply because it is first.

If you are FOMOP on the swim, AT THE IM DISTANCE, you can be in the race, even for the younger AGs. You can't for the run or bike.

What is FOMOP?  10 minutes back? 20 minutes?  I figure middle of pack is still somewhere around that 2:00/100 mark, no?  So what are we talking about here, 1:45/100?   

You can't compare FOMOP of elites and FOMOP for AG'ers as far as I'm concerned.....two different animals.  Sure, there is a huge difference between an IM swim and what it does to your race and an OLY or a sprint swim......but let's face it, there aren't many 10 our IM'ers (I'm guessing it takes around that to KQ).....not many AG'ers pulling that off with a 1:45/10 swim is there?

2014-10-14 5:40 PM
in reply to: spudone

User image

Pro

Let me rephrase: swimming with your peers is good.  Swimming exceptionally is discouraged

Potts isn't going up by a couple minutes in an Elite ITU Oly race so it doesn't really matter in your example. 

If I were king for a day I'd make the IM swim a 10K.....it'd bring the mystique back to the event and make all three disciplines much more even.

2014-10-14 5:48 PM
in reply to: jonnyo

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by jonnyo

there is very little room left for improvement on the swim at the ironman distance. in 10-15 years...the guys will still be swimming 49-50min. The level of swimmers at the front is already exceptional (potts, Frodo, etc) but it s simply not logical to redline a 2.4 miles swim at the start of a 8h day. So with 15:30/1500m level swimmers swimming at steady state... it leave enough room for guy like me at 18:00/1500m to sit behind them and enjoy the ride.

bring all the ITU guys you want....what they will see is that leading the swim is a lot of work...and everyone behind as the skill to draft so you are just slaving for others. Guys need to step up in the running department.....

I agree 100%.

What was interesting was hearing Kienle's comments about how a bunch of guys, including Cunnama worked together to bridge to the front pack.
It seems that if you can catch the 2nd pack, there are good enough people to then bridge to the first group. If so, is it really worth developing into a first pack guy ?

With the concentration of top tier pros in fewer events, I suspect this 2nd group will exist more and more at the pro level.

2014-10-14 5:59 PM

User image

New user
penticton

7 of the top 10 this year were front group swimmers. The 3 guys....that didn't, were all exceptional rider 1st, 5th and 9th.

those number show you how important it is to be in the front group.

Yes, Luke, James and a few other helped Sebas catch back........ and what happen to them after? They mostly imploded on the climb to hawii.

It s really simple, once out of the water... the front group do the first 1h at around 300-330 watts. it s a hard pace for a ironman. If you are second group chasing the front group....you have to go upward of 330 to catch up..... it s suicide for most.

2014-10-14 6:09 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by jonnyo

7 of the top 10 this year were front group swimmers. The 3 guys....that didn't, were all exceptional rider 1st, 5th and 9th.

those number show you how important it is to be in the front group.

Yes, Luke, James and a few other helped Sebas catch back........ and what happen to them after? They mostly imploded on the climb to hawii.

It s really simple, once out of the water... the front group do the first 1h at around 300-330 watts. it s a hard pace for a ironman. If you are second group chasing the front group....you have to go upward of 330 to catch up..... it s suicide for most.

Do you not believe that what happened this year at Kona will occur over and over ? A bunch of 2nd group guys working together to close the gap.

In your opinion, which of the 3 do you think Sebastian has the most to gain with improvements ? As his coach where would you put a little more focus ?

Edited by marcag 2014-10-14 6:12 PM
2014-10-14 6:46 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by jonnyo there is very little room left for improvement on the swim at the ironman distance. in 10-15 years...the guys will still be swimming 49-50min. The level of swimmers at the front is already exceptional (potts, Frodo, etc) but it s simply not logical to redline a 2.4 miles swim at the start of a 8h day. So with 15:30/1500m level swimmers swimming at steady state... it leave enough room for guy like me at 18:00/1500m to sit behind them and enjoy the ride. bring all the ITU guys you want....what they will see is that leading the swim is a lot of work...and everyone behind as the skill to draft so you are just slaving for others. Guys need to step up in the running department.....

And that's what's coming IMO.  Hell, even at the Jr. level you're not playing if you can't run 16:00 off the bike for a 5K....that's for 16 year olds....move up in age a bit and the top guys are running sub 15:00.....they all want to run sub 30's for 10K at the next level.   The other thing is, the youth and Jr. ranks (the folks I'm looking at 10-15 years down the road) are full of club swimmers.  I agree that the speed will not change much, but I think the ability to recover from that swim will.  In addition to the speed that is emphasized in the youth/Jr. ranks these kids are building tremendous bases of fitness.  20 hours per week during the season is pretty standard stuff for the kids at the top 20%....although most of it continues to be swimming.

Edited by Left Brain 2014-10-14 6:47 PM
2014-10-14 7:09 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Extreme Veteran

Originally posted by jonnyo there is very little room left for improvement on the swim at the ironman distance. in 10-15 years...the guys will still be swimming 49-50min. The level of swimmers at the front is already exceptional (potts, Frodo, etc) but it s simply not logical to redline a 2.4 miles swim at the start of a 8h day. So with 15:30/1500m level swimmers swimming at steady state... it leave enough room for guy like me at 18:00/1500m to sit behind them and enjoy the ride. bring all the ITU guys you want....what they will see is that leading the swim is a lot of work...and everyone behind as the skill to draft so you are just slaving for others. Guys need to step up in the running department.....

And that's what's coming IMO.  Hell, even at the Jr. level you're not playing if you can't run 16:00 off the bike for a 5K....that's for 16 year olds....move up in age a bit and the top guys are running sub 15:00.....they all want to run sub 30's for 10K at the next level.   The other thing is, the youth and Jr. ranks (the folks I'm looking at 10-15 years down the road) are full of club swimmers.  I agree that the speed will not change much, but I think the ability to recover from that swim will.  In addition to the speed that is emphasized in the youth/Jr. ranks these kids are building tremendous bases of fitness.  20 hours per week during the season is pretty standard stuff for the kids at the top 20%....although most of it continues to be swimming.

LOL, you are the only person that can bring 16 yo 5k splits into every thread.in TT
You even managed to bring them into the meat eating thread.
I did notice your restraint in not bringing into the ladies PMS thread recently.
I know it was hard. Good job !!

2014-10-14 7:17 PM

User image

New user
penticton
what I m saying is...yes, a bunch of guys front the second pack will bridge back. out of those guys...very little will survive the tremendous effort it takes. It s the same year after year,

if you don't swim in the front group, you got one strike against you and 7h to go..... it s dangerous and most will strike out.

If I was coaching Sebastian. I would most likely not change much because what he is doing his working. he as improve consistently on the swim and his bike and run have also. One more year of solid steady consistant training will only help is cause.

That said...now that he is world champion...he wont have a much time to train/rest anymore... might be very challenging for him this year...
2014-10-14 7:24 PM
in reply to: jonnyo

User image

Extreme Veteran

when do we see you as an AGer at Kona ? :-)

2014-10-14 7:32 PM

User image

New user
penticton
Haha!!! well, I been completely swamp with athletes I m coaching. They take priority over me riding my bike. But now that kona is over, I get a few week of quieter time. I need to figure out how fast/fit I need to be to qualify!!!!
2014-10-14 8:07 PM

User image

Pro

And that's what's coming IMO.  Hell, even at the Jr. level you're not playing if you can't run 16:00 off the bike for a 5K....that's for 16 year olds....move up in age a bit and the top guys are running sub 15:00.....they all want to run sub 30's for 10K at the next level.   The other thing is, the youth and Jr. ranks (the folks I'm looking at 10-15 years down the road) are full of club swimmers.  I agree that the speed will not change much, but I think the ability to recover from that swim will.  In addition to the speed that is emphasized in the youth/Jr. ranks these kids are building tremendous bases of fitness. Gomez will only be the beginning.  20 hours per week during the season is pretty standard stuff for the kids at the top 20%....although most of it continues to be swimming.

LOL, you are the only person that can bring 16 yo 5k splits into every thread.in TT You even managed to bring them into the meat eating thread. I did notice your restraint in not bringing into the ladies PMS thread recently. I know it was hard. Good job !!

Try to keep up bro....the point is, these kids are taking podium posts in every major AG sprint triathlon in the world (and absolutely dominating some of them....see the Chicago ITU race last year)......unheard of just 10 years ago. Oly is next, then long course.  They have the speed that you, me, and 99% of AG triathletes will NEVER build.  It's not about 16 year olds, it's about athletic development and triathlon development in particular. Gomez will only be the beginning.  The ship has passed you by....enjoy your "head duffer" status as long as people will listen. LOL

Looks like you missed on the FOMOP swim point.....but ..... Good try!!! 

Edited by Left Brain 2014-10-14 8:10 PM
2014-10-14 10:34 PM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin

LOL, you are the only person that can bring 16 yo 5k splits into every thread.in TT
You even managed to bring them into the meat eating thread.

LOL!!!!!
2014-10-15 5:24 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Try to keep up bro....the point is, these kids are taking podium posts in every major AG sprint triathlon in the world (and absolutely dominating some of them....see the Chicago ITU race last year)......unheard of just 10 years ago. Oly is next, then long course.  They have the speed that you, me, and 99% of AG triathletes will NEVER build.  It's not about 16 year olds, it's about athletic development and triathlon development in particular. Gomez will only be the beginning.  The ship has passed you by....enjoy your "head duffer" status as long as people will listen. LOL

Some Interesting stats

Go back to the Jr 1999 World champs in Montreal. They did Oly's back then but bear with me
Fastest JR run : 33min
This year fastest JR runat worlds : 33min

The winner ran 36 this year but there was a 33kid. The winner showed it's all about the bike :-)

Are they really running that much faster ?

Funny thing. Back in 99, third fastest Jr was Ivan Rhana. He ran 33min.

Recognize the name ? He was 17th this year with the pros at Kona. Fastest run split. Probably the only one that beat Rinny.

In the 1999 results, there are other current IM pros.

I know you are passionate about the Jr stuff and that is cool, but I am not sure the actual results support some of your beliefs. And yes, they are fast kids. But there were a lot of really fast kids 20 years ago.

Hey, with Rhana I managed to get it back to a Kona conversation.

2014-10-15 12:05 PM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin

Some Interesting stats

Go back to the Jr 1999 World champs in Montreal. They did Oly's back then but bear with me
Fastest JR run : 33min
This year fastest JR runat worlds : 33min

The winner ran 36 this year but there was a 33kid. The winner showed it's all about the bike :-)

Are they really running that much faster ?

Funny thing. Back in 99, third fastest Jr was Ivan Rhana. He ran 33min.

Recognize the name ? He was 17th this year with the pros at Kona. Fastest run split. Probably the only one that beat Rinny.

In the 1999 results, there are other current IM pros.

I know you are passionate about the Jr stuff and that is cool, but I am not sure the actual results support some of your beliefs. And yes, they are fast kids. But there were a lot of really fast kids 20 years ago.

Hey, with Rhana I managed to get it back to a Kona conversation.

Another thing that is being assumed a bit is that these ITU guys will just be able to make the bridge to Ironman. Yet many of the fastest ITU athletes from the past never really succeeded at Ironman. Joe Filliol did a podcast recently on this exact topic and mentioned that a lot of the ITU guys from before have switched over too late in their career (Bevan Docherty) and while they do hold the potential to do well at Ironman, they enter the game too late.

Marcag I agree with on the times as well. I looked at the ITU times and found times similar to the Brownlees and Gomez in the past. So are the Brownlees and Gomez running that fast, or is there just more of a divide between the top 3 and the rest of the field. Numbers wouldn't suggest that are really any faster then 1998-2006 era.

Do I think a shift in Ironman is possible? Yes, but as many of the great coaches that work with these ITU, Junior, and Ironman athletes keep saying is that Ironman is very specific and just because you can run a xx:xx 5k/10k doesn't mean that you will take over Ironman.

Edited by bcagle25 2014-10-15 12:06 PM

2014-10-15 12:34 PM
in reply to: bcagle25

User image

Pro

Originally posted by bcagle25
Originally posted by Left Brain Try to keep up bro....the point is, these kids are taking podium posts in every major AG sprint triathlon in the world (and absolutely dominating some of them....see the Chicago ITU race last year)......unheard of just 10 years ago. Oly is next, then long course.  They have the speed that you, me, and 99% of AG triathletes will NEVER build.  It's not about 16 year olds, it's about athletic development and triathlon development in particular. Gomez will only be the beginning.  The ship has passed you by....enjoy your "head duffer" status as long as people will listen. LOL

Some Interesting stats Go back to the Jr 1999 World champs in Montreal. They did Oly's back then but bear with me Fastest JR run : 33min This year fastest JR runat worlds : 33min The winner ran 36 this year but there was a 33kid. The winner showed it's all about the bike :-) Are they really running that much faster ? Funny thing. Back in 99, third fastest Jr was Ivan Rhana. He ran 33min. Recognize the name ? He was 17th this year with the pros at Kona. Fastest run split. Probably the only one that beat Rinny. In the 1999 results, there are other current IM pros. I know you are passionate about the Jr stuff and that is cool, but I am not sure the actual results support some of your beliefs. And yes, they are fast kids. But there were a lot of really fast kids 20 years ago. Hey, with Rhana I managed to get it back to a Kona conversation.
Another thing that is being assumed a bit is that these ITU guys will just be able to make the bridge to Ironman. Yet many of the fastest ITU athletes from the past never really succeeded at Ironman. Joe Filliol did a podcast recently on this exact topic and mentioned that a lot of the ITU guys from before have switched over too late in their career (Bevan Docherty) and while they do hold the potential to do well at Ironman, they enter the game too late. Marcag I agree with on the times as well. I looked at the ITU times and found times similar to the Brownlees and Gomez in the past. So are the Brownlees and Gomez running that fast, or is there just more of a divide between the top 3 and the rest of the field. Numbers wouldn't suggest that are really any faster then 1998-2006 era. Do I think a shift in Ironman is possible? Yes, but as many of the great coaches that work with these ITU, Junior, and Ironman athletes keep saying is that Ironman is very specific and just because you can run a xx:xx 5k/10k doesn't mean that you will take over Ironman.

No, it doesn't......but if you can run a very fast 5/10K, swim a 16:XX 1500, and carry 4.5-5.0  W/kg on the bike you can....especially if you are hitting those numbers as a kid and holding them for a number of years.  That's the difference......balanced athletes who do all three really well.  Will it transfer to long course?  I'm betting yes, absolutely.

2014-10-15 2:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
  • ...but if you can run a very fast 5/10K, swim a 16:XX 1500, and carry 4.5-5.0  W/kg on the bike you can....especially if you are hitting those numbers as a kid and holding them for a number of years. 

• 5.0 w/kg ?

How many kids in Jr Elite are doing that ?
    2014-10-15 3:05 PM

User image

Exton, PA

• ...but if you can run a very fast 5/10K, swim a 16:XX 1500, and carry 4.5-5.0  W/kg on the bike you can....especially if you are hitting those numbers as a kid and holding them for a number of years. 

• 5.0 w/kg ?

Isn't that pro cyclist power output?
    2014-10-15 3:54 PM

User image

Expert
    Madison, Wisconsin

• 5.0 w/kg ?

for some reason when I read this I thought of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-77xulkB_U
    2014-10-15 3:55 PM
    in reply to: mike761

User image

Originally posted by mike761
    Originally posted by Left Brain ....but if you can run a very fast 5/10K, swim a 16:XX 1500, and carry 4.5-5.0  W/kg on the bike you can....especially if you are hitting those numbers as a kid and holding them for a number of years. 
    5.0 w/kg ? How many kids in Jr Elite are doing that ?
    Isn't that pro cyclist power output?

Pros will put down somewhere between 5-5.8 w/kg for an hour given their position.  They could probably put down slightly more power if they were on road bikes where they are not constricting their breathing as much in order to gain aerodynamics.

Granted though, w/kg generally doesn't mean that much for triathlon or time trialing compared to pure power and your cda.  At 430 watts and 77 kg, Bradley Wiggins is about 5.8 w/kg.  Even is someone like Quintana, at 58 kg, could put down 348 watts for an hour, for a w/kg of 6.0, I would never bet on him to win a flat TT over Wiggins.

So is it possible for a junior elite to put down 4.5 -5.0 w/kg in a draft legal Oly.  Sure...if they are skinny enough.  That doesn't mean they are faster on the bike than the 75 kg guy who's putting out 4.2 w/kg though.

Just making the argument that w/kg can be extremely deceiving when applied to triathlon.

2014-10-15 6:23 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Left Brain ....but if you can run a very fast 5/10K, swim a 16:XX 1500, and carry 4.5-5.0  W/kg on the bike you can....especially if you are hitting those numbers as a kid and holding them for a number of years. 

More than you think.  My kid was tested before last season at a Pedal Hard shop....he's 6'4" and weighed 150 when he was tested at 310 FTP before the start of this season.  He'll get to 5.0 pretty easily if he keeps progressing as he has, he's only 16 still (race age 17) so he has two more years on the Jr. circuit.  He is far from alone, and not near the most powerful cyclist on that circuit. But c'mon dude.....you don't throw down the top time on the bike at Chicago sprint if you don't have any power. You need to get out more.

Edited by Left Brain 2014-10-15 6:25 PM
    2014-10-15 6:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

More than you think.  My kid was tested before last season at a Pedal Hard shop....he's 6'4" and weighed 150 when he was tested at 310 FTP before the start of this season.  He'll get to 5.0 pretty easily if he keeps progressing as he has, he's only 16 still (race age 17) so he has two more years on the Jr. circuit.  He is far from alone, and not near the most powerful cyclist on that circuit. But c'mon dude.....you don't throw down the top time on the bike at Chicago sprint if you don't have any power. You need to get out more.

nice.

Matt Chrabot, who is under 140lbs is about 5w/kg. And he was the alternate on the Olympic team. At 150lbs Jr will have to put out more watts than him to be 5.0. Glad it will be pretty easy :-)

Edited by marcag 2014-10-15 6:39 PM
    2014-10-15 6:43 PM

User image

Pro

nice. Matt Chrabot, who is under 140lbs is about 5w/kg. And he was the alternate on the Olympic team. At 150lbs Jr will have to put out more watts than him to be 5.0. Glad it will be pretty easy :-)

For all I know he may already be there.....he was tested when he hadn't been on a bike for 2 months....they just wanted to see where he was before they started with him.  Still, he's closer to 160 lbs. now so who knows. 

You know what, for some of these freaks it is easy.....they put in the time and it happens. I don't like it either, but it is what it is.  As you know, he also runs a sub 4:20 mile......they are not like us.  I'm good with it.

2014-10-15 6:54 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

nice. Matt Chrabot, who is under 140lbs is about 5w/kg. And he was the alternate on the Olympic team. At 150lbs Jr will have to put out more watts than him to be 5.0. Glad it will be pretty easy :-)

For all I know he may already be there.....he was tested when he hadn't been on a bike for 2 months....they just wanted to see where he was before they started with him.  Still, he's closer to 160 lbs. now so who knows. 

You know what, for some of these freaks it is easy.....they put in the time and it happens. I don't like it either, but it is what it is.  As you know, he also runs a sub 4:20 mile......they are not like us.  I'm good with it.

Well there you go....if he's stronger than Matt Chrabot, start telling people "yes, he will be going to the Olympics". Problem solved

BTW, Ben Hoffman is a tad under 5w/kg

Edited by marcag 2014-10-15 6:56 PM
    New Thread
    General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Kona World Championships! Rss Feed  

of 5

RELATED POSTS

Kona World Championship Live Stream Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by petert01
    Views: 7343 Posts: 100

2012-10-14 9:04 AM BrianRunsPhilly

Kona Non Championship race?

Started by NewClydesdale
    Views: 1469 Posts: 17

2011-10-12 6:46 PM chirunner134

Kona World Championships Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14

Started by kdlsch111
    Views: 15903 Posts: 335

2010-10-10 2:25 PM bzgl40

Kailua-Kona's 18-Year-Olds Complete World Championship

Started by xcrunner2010
    Views: 1150 Posts: 9

2008-12-05 7:20 PM triatty

Kona Ironman World Championship Broadcast Re-air Sunday

Started by Tri3
    Views: 1762 Posts: 25

2007-08-07 10:45 AM 1st Timer in NY
    RELATED ARTICLES
    date : November 12, 2010
    author : Coach AJ
    comments : 0
    Four Kona athletes give us their race stories.

date : October 20, 2010
    author : Coach AJ
    We interview several age-groupers pre-race on their Ironman Kona race thoughts.
    date : October 7, 2008
    author : trvw
    Q&A with a triathlete who decided to compete last minute while vacationing overseas in Croatia.

date : August 10, 2007
    author : leifashley
    comments : 4
    From couch potato to a tri in 8 weeks. It was the most fun I've had in a long time. The race organizers had it down and there were no problems at all. This was the perfect first tri, in my opinion.
    date : December 13, 2004
    author : trilover
    comments : 1
    TriLover recently had the opportunity to interview Tim and Nicole. Read what the DeBooms had to say about triathlon, their support for each other and life.

date : September 4, 2004
    author : Daniel Clout
    Stay focused on your dreams and stand up for your rights!
    My expectations for the quality of this years’ Triathlon world championship were fulfilled. This was because of the superb location that is like no other along with having the top triathletes present.

There is a marvelous destiny out there waiting for you too, but only if you are willing to take chances and put yourself on the line.