of 5

2014-10-12 10:06 PM
in reply to: Scott71

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
Subject: RE: Kona World Championships!

Originally posted by Scott71

So the fastest pro run split was 2:44:38.  When will Mark Allen's 1989 record of 2:40:04 fall?

I think it's unlikely anytime soon but you never know.  Notice that the guy that ran the 2:44 also only biked 4:58.  The guys at the front of the race bike so hard now that a 2:40 would be pretty unlikely IMO.

2014-10-12 10:19 PM
in reply to: austhokie

User image

Originally posted by austhokie

Originally posted by EchoLkScott

Does anyone know if the 84 year old Nun, Madonna Buder, was able to finish?

She's inspirational for those of us that are a bit past our prime.

Scott I.

looks like she was a DNF about halfway through the bike - I have a swim split - 2:18:00 for her and then the bike splits end at about 80miles - possibly didn't make a cut-off - she had several sections with avg speed was 9-10mph

Too bad! Still, it's amazing for an 84 year old to make it that far. Thanks!

Scott I.
2014-10-13 11:56 AM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Originally posted by axteraa

So the fastest pro run split was 2:44:38.  When will Mark Allen's 1989 record of 2:40:04 fall?

I think it's unlikely anytime soon but you never know.  Notice that the guy that ran the 2:44 also only biked 4:58.  The guys at the front of the race bike so hard now that a 2:40 would be pretty unlikely IMO.

Having done some research today I’m pretty disgusted with Ironman’s anti-doping policy.  It’s statistically irrelevant.  They conducted a few hundred in competition tests and a couple of hundred out of competition tests in 2012 (latest publicly available information).  There are pro’s publicly calling for more testing – Jodie Swallow and Brandon Marsh for example are both big race winners that have hardly been tested at all – something neither of them are happy about.

I know the Ironman brand is a commercial entity and Kona isn’t a real World Championship but the sport has got its head in the sand if they think the sports credibility won’t be tarnished by the lack of testing.

I’m not directly accusing anyone in the most recent race or any other but it’s a real shame that no credible testing programme is in place.

2014-10-13 1:19 PM
in reply to: Fred D

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by Fred D

Originally posted by C_Hassard

Does anyone here think Potts has a legitimate chance at winning?  Or is he just simply not good enough to do it at Kona

No chance at overall title because of a Combination of things:

1. He's too big.
  2. Not a strong enough cyclist.
  3. Has incentives from sponsors to go too hard on the swim.
  4. He's too big.

Wait he finishes 4th and you say he can't win Kona?

After all this was the first year he focused solely on this race and actually specifically prepared for it, finishes 4th, runs the 3rd fastest of the day and your saying he can't win?

2014-10-13 1:29 PM
in reply to: bcagle25

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by bcagle25

Does anyone here think Potts has a legitimate chance at winning?  Or is he just simply not good enough to do it at Kona

1. He's too big.
  4. He's too big.

Wait he finishes 4th and you say he can't win Kona? After all this was the first year he focused solely on this race and actually specifically prepared for it, finishes 4th, runs the 3rd fastest of the day and your saying he can't win?

Well.... he was right.  

Doesn't mean he can't win next year!

2014-10-13 1:31 PM
in reply to: axteraa

Master
, California

Originally posted by axteraa

1. He's too big.
  4. He's too big.

Wait he finishes 4th and you say he can't win Kona? After all this was the first year he focused solely on this race and actually specifically prepared for it, finishes 4th, runs the 3rd fastest of the day and your saying he can't win?

Well.... he was right.  

Doesn't mean he can't win next year!

There's always Alcatraz

2014-10-13 1:36 PM
in reply to: bcagle25

User image

1. He's too big.
  4. He's too big.

In fairness...this year's conditions for the run were ideal for bigger athletes.  Lots of cloud cover to minimize the heat.  I was out there on Alii Drive at the mile 1 and 9 aid station prepared to get roasted from noon till 5 pm.  It was actually rather pleasant standing there in the middle of the road.

2014-10-13 1:40 PM
in reply to: Jason N

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Jason N

1. He's too big.
  4. He's too big.

In fairness...this year's conditions for the run were ideal for bigger athletes.  Lots of cloud cover to minimize the heat.  I was out there on Alii Drive at the mile 1 and 9 aid station prepared to get roasted from noon till 5 pm.  It was actually rather pleasant standing there in the middle of the road.

Also, the statement was made BEFORE the race. And is it too much to just ask how thoughts like that may have changed after the fact?

2014-10-13 2:03 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Pro

The story of the race is Hoffman and hardly a single word about him anywhere on these kinds of boards.   I'd guess even if he had won there wouldn't be near as much talk about him winning as there would be about how other's messed up their race/training or couldn't get it done.  I'm looking forward to the new faces that are coming. 

Way to go Ben Hoffman!!!

2014-10-13 2:18 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Left Brain
I'm looking forward to the new faces that are coming.

what new faces are those ?

Other than Frodeno of course.
2014-10-13 2:26 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by marcag
Originally posted by Left Brain I'm looking forward to the new faces that are coming.
what new faces are those ? Other than Frodeno of course.

Gomez.  He was in Kona last week checking things out.  Also interviewed further confirming he's targeting Kona after Rio.

Edited by Jason N 2014-10-13 2:27 PM

2014-10-13 2:32 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Originally posted by Left Brain I'm looking forward to the new faces that are coming.

Gomez.  He was in Kona last week checking things out.  Also interviewed further confirming he's targeting Kona after Rio.

Yes, he mentioned 2017. Lots can change between now and then however.
I am anxious to see Bahrain this year
2014-10-13 2:45 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Pro

You can start with  Gomez, Brownlee's (if they want to play), Pereria, even Mola in time, and work your way through the group of WTS racers who consistently go under 1:48 Oly distance.....speed kills...and it will at the IM level as well.  And yeah, they aren'[t exactly new faces to triathlon to anyone that follows.....but most people who do triathlon can MAYBE name Potts from the U.S. and Alexander or Macca......I'm ready for a changing  of the guard.....it's boring as it is.  Most of the story lines are the same.  Hoffman wrote a different one this time......very enjoyable to see.

2014-10-13 3:07 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
  Hoffman wrote a different one this time......very enjoyable to see.

Other than fly below people's radar, what different story did he write ?
2014-10-13 3:40 PM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin

1. He's too big.
  4. He's too big.

Agreed, and same with last year. I was standing in that exact spot right past Lava Java at mile 1 marker. As long as the clouds roll into town off the volcano it doesn't get as bad as without cloud cover. The difference this year where the runners didn't show was the heavy winds that never appeared last year, lots of people went into that run already toasted from battling those winds.

Funny to hear Jans reasoning of why bigger athletes can excel at Kona. Saying his friend a thermal engineer uses the more.

And yes I agree with LB Ben Hoffman talk on this board is a bit quiet, but everywhere else he is getting good press. He had a plan and he stuck to it.
2014-10-13 4:32 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Left Brain   Hoffman wrote a different one this time......very enjoyable to see.

Other than fly below people's radar, what different story did he write ?

He wrote the story of the guy nobody saw coming while they watched the same tired names.....again, I look forward to the changing of the guard at Kona, and a change in triathlon in general as more DL, Grand Prix, and Mixed Relay gets thrown in and becomes more popular..  It will up the number of young athletes who get to compete on a bigger stage and get access to the training that makes them faster.

The future of triathlon hasn't got much to do with the current "stars" of Kona.  I like that.

2014-10-13 5:30 PM
in reply to: Scott71

User image

Master
Sunbury, Pennsylvania

When Rinny decides to break it.
2014-10-14 6:25 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
none of us really know what will happen in the future, heck the pros aren't even sure of the trend

however, some observations

This year at WC 70.3 things were different. A few pros have said 70.3 has become like Olympic racing. These guys are red lining for 3h45. There is no pacing. Like DL the pack on the bike is important. Not to the extent of DL but still important. It's a "stay in contact with the leader and die trying, even if I blow up". The same thing is going to happen in Bahrain.

I think some people think/though that this will carry over to IM. Not so sure. Look at the people that did well at Kona. They raced the way they always race. Kienle followed the same plan he always does. So did Rinny. Potts and Hoffman did well because they did balanced races. I do not believe the "get out in front and hammer" works so well unless you are an Uber biker like Kienle. Even if Frodeno would not have flatted/screwed up transition, there is no guarantee he would have won.

Look at the number of DNFs that came out of the water with the main pack and went hard on the bike at first. I suspect several of these guys would have been better off following a more balanced race plan.

There has been a lot of talk of the swim being critical. If you look at the top 10, it's really a mix. Some 54-55 min guys did alright. Potts in his interview says he wished the swim was more important but it's not. I thought this would change. I am surprised Kienle's swim has not improved. He apparently worked on it this year, yet he did the same 54min. His run has improved. It's where he made all the improvements this year.
I wonder where his improvement will come next year. I suspect more on the run.

I wonder where Frodeno's improvements will come.

Kienle talks about a bunch of guys he rode with at the beginning of the bike. Will this become "main pack", "chase pack" like ITU, where it all comes down to the run ? It's surprising how important the pack is. Kienle talks about how the crosswinds made it so it eliminated the pack advantage, which is when he moved away.

As they concentrate the pros into bigger races I suspect this pack thing may work out. Some uber bikers like Jordan are now fast enough swimmers that they can be part of a chase pack.

As for the changing of the guard, If you look at this year's top 10 and look back at 2012, you see the top guys this year were getting closer in 2012. And if you try to figure out who will be at the front int 2016, look for the people that have entered the top 15 this year. The older guys are retiring (Crowie, Raelert, Farris) the younger guys, but experienced IMers are moving up.

It seems "the system", "the process", the "funnel" is not that different. The players are but the system isn't. Most come from a short course background. This is normal, that is what the talent development programs look like. They are not much different than they were 10 years ago.

There is the odd contender that did not go through this program. Lionel Sanders and Melissa Hauschildt may be real contenders next year or the following. One lady that can turn it around is Ema Pooley. Watch her.

I wonder how many ITU studs and studettes will move over. How many will just be fed up and move on to other things. Everyone thought Simon Whitfield would move on. They make a lot more money in ITU and at one point they want to do other things than train 30+ hours per week.

Edited by marcag 2014-10-14 6:39 AM
2014-10-14 9:15 AM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin

none of us really know what will happen in the future, heck the pros aren't even sure of the trend

however, some observations

This year at WC 70.3 things were different. A few pros have said 70.3 has become like Olympic racing. These guys are red lining for 3h45. There is no pacing. Like DL the pack on the bike is important. Not to the extent of DL but still important. It's a "stay in contact with the leader and die trying, even if I blow up". The same thing is going to happen in Bahrain.

I think some people think/though that this will carry over to IM. Not so sure. Look at the people that did well at Kona. They raced the way they always race. Kienle followed the same plan he always does. So did Rinny. Potts and Hoffman did well because they did balanced races. I do not believe the "get out in front and hammer" works so well unless you are an Uber biker like Kienle. Even if Frodeno would not have flatted/screwed up transition, there is no guarantee he would have won.

Look at the number of DNFs that came out of the water with the main pack and went hard on the bike at first. I suspect several of these guys would have been better off following a more balanced race plan.

There has been a lot of talk of the swim being critical. If you look at the top 10, it's really a mix. Some 54-55 min guys did alright. Potts in his interview says he wished the swim was more important but it's not. I thought this would change. I am surprised Kienle's swim has not improved. He apparently worked on it this year, yet he did the same 54min. His run has improved. It's where he made all the improvements this year.
I wonder where his improvement will come next year. I suspect more on the run.

I wonder where Frodeno's improvements will come.

Kienle talks about a bunch of guys he rode with at the beginning of the bike. Will this become "main pack", "chase pack" like ITU, where it all comes down to the run ? It's surprising how important the pack is. Kienle talks about how the crosswinds made it so it eliminated the pack advantage, which is when he moved away.

As they concentrate the pros into bigger races I suspect this pack thing may work out. Some uber bikers like Jordan are now fast enough swimmers that they can be part of a chase pack.

As for the changing of the guard, If you look at this year's top 10 and look back at 2012, you see the top guys this year were getting closer in 2012. And if you try to figure out who will be at the front int 2016, look for the people that have entered the top 15 this year. The older guys are retiring (Crowie, Raelert, Farris) the younger guys, but experienced IMers are moving up.

It seems "the system", "the process", the "funnel" is not that different. The players are but the system isn't. Most come from a short course background. This is normal, that is what the talent development programs look like. They are not much different than they were 10 years ago.

There is the odd contender that did not go through this program. Lionel Sanders and Melissa Hauschildt may be real contenders next year or the following. One lady that can turn it around is Ema Pooley. Watch her.

I wonder how many ITU studs and studettes will move over. How many will just be fed up and move on to other things. Everyone thought Simon Whitfield would move on. They make a lot more money in ITU and at one point they want to do other things than train 30+ hours per week.

Some comments in addition to your post.

I think the DNF's were for a variety of reasons. Big swells in the swim, taking in more water, big winds on the bike, feeling flat, etc. I think part of it was the hard bike, but many that DNF'd were never in the big bike pack that was pushing hard.

People say the swim matters. Unless you can bike or run very well. Both Kienle and Carfrae were well behind out of the water 3-5 minutes. In fact, Carfrae had the biggest comeback every in a women's race this year and Kienle as well. Carfrae was once 14:35 back and Kienle 3:45.

I don't think Frodeno needs improvements as much as he just needs to get off the bike w/o a flat. No way can you say if he would have won or not, but like I said before we still do not know how fast Frodeno truly is.

Womens race is slowly evolving into the men's race. Women are racing more and more by reaction and not as much by their plan, as the field gets deeper and more can ride together I see this continuing.

I think of all the ITU athletes the Brownlees are two that you will NOT see in Ironman, just don't think they really want to do it.

Lots of great performances Saturday and lots of great performers not doing their usual thing.

Anyone hear Marino's post-race interview with IM Talk?

2014-10-14 9:29 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by marcag This is normal, that is what the talent development programs look like. They are not much different than they were 10 years ago. 

The talent development programs here in the U.S. are light years from where they were 10 years ago.  That's not predicting the future, that's just a fact. 

I agree that it's impossible to tell what willo come down the road, but I know what direction triathlon is taking with ITU, and DL, Grand Prix, and Mixed Team relay are the future of the sport at the Olympic level, and it's already filtered down to the Jr. level.  There are hundreds and hundreds of kids now competing in DL racing here and there really isn't enough races to cover all of the interest.  Jrs. are better coached now than at any time in the history of triathlon in the U.S.  It will take another 10 years, obviously, but you will see some wicked fast people eventually enter the ranks of long course racing.....Gomez will be the first.

Thew swim argument is basically a red herring.  Yeah, I know what Potts said, but he's talking about a fast swim vs. other poeple who also have relatively fast swims.  Go to an AG race with an average "triathlon" swim time and a decent bike and run and see where it gets you.  Even when you look at the top AG raceres and see that they came in 100th or 150th on the swim and were able to bike and run themselves into a respectable race.....they are still in the top 10% of sweim times in those big races. Not exactly unimportant.  If you can't swim, you can't play.

2014-10-14 12:09 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Originally posted by marcag This is normal, that is what the talent development programs look like. They are not much different than they were 10 years ago. 

The talent development programs here in the U.S. are light years from where they were 10 years ago.  That's not predicting the future, that's just a fact. 

I agree that it's impossible to tell what willo come down the road, but I know what direction triathlon is taking with ITU, and DL, Grand Prix, and Mixed Team relay are the future of the sport at the Olympic level, and it's already filtered down to the Jr. level.  There are hundreds and hundreds of kids now competing in DL racing here and there really isn't enough races to cover all of the interest.  Jrs. are better coached now than at any time in the history of triathlon in the U.S.  It will take another 10 years, obviously, but you will see some wicked fast people eventually enter the ranks of long course racing.....Gomez will be the first.

Thew swim argument is basically a red herring.  Yeah, I know what Potts said, but he's talking about a fast swim vs. other poeple who also have relatively fast swims.  Go to an AG race with an average "triathlon" swim time and a decent bike and run and see where it gets you.  Even when you look at the top AG raceres and see that they came in 100th or 150th on the swim and were able to bike and run themselves into a respectable race.....they are still in the top 10% of sweim times in those big races. Not exactly unimportant.  If you can't swim, you can't play.

Very very very specifically for Ironman distance

a) for the pros : there seems to be 2 packs or more. You don't seem to have to be in the first pack to win. I suspect this will remain for a while. I do believe you have to be at least in the second pack. When Sanders makes the 2nd pack, watch out. BTW, this isn't that different in ITU. Ask Gwenn :-)

b) for the amateurs : a balanced portfolio is great of course. But the guys that win IM are not always balance. This years AG winner come out of the water 62nd in his AG. Finished the bike 2nd and then ran to an overall win. This is not abnormal. A friend and work colleague of mine won overall Kona amateur a few times and he is a poor swimmer. Oly distance is another story. I agree.

And BTW, I am working my swim very hard. I am not trying to find excuses not to swim. It did improve 2min on a HIM distance this year with lots and lots of room for improvement.

2014-10-14 12:25 PM

User image

Pro

Very very very specifically for Ironman distance a) for the pros : there seems to be 2 packs or more. You don't seem to have to be in the first pack to win. I suspect this will remain for a while. I do believe you have to be at least in the second pack. When Sanders makes the 2nd pack, watch out. BTW, this isn't that different in ITU. Ask Gwenn :-) b) for the amateurs : a balanced portfolio is great of course. But the guys that win IM are not always balance. This years AG winner come out of the water 62nd in his AG. Finished the bike 2nd and then ran to an overall win. This is not abnormal. A friend and work colleague of mine won overall Kona amateur a few times and he is a poor swimmer. Oly distance is another story. I agree. And BTW, I am working my swim very hard. I am not trying to find excuses not to swim. It did improve 2min on a HIM distance this year with lots and lots of room for improvement.

Nice work on your swim.

I'm looking at a bigger picture than you are.....10-15 years down the road.  There will be quite a group  of  25-30 year olds who were brought up very carefully and are very well trained in triathlon.  They will be exceptionally balanced, and very fast in all three disciplines as compared to many in the sport today.  The narrative will be changed.....that's where your b) will no longer hold water.

Edited by Left Brain 2014-10-14 12:42 PM
2014-10-14 4:11 PM

Master
, California

Olympic distance is a little better for the good swimmers, I agree.  But ITU is not.

If you throw someone like Potts in a draft legal race, he's better off loafing to stay with the "lead" swimmers.  Getting ahead a couple minutes is just going to cause you to bike alone and you probably won't stay off the front for long.

Swimming is MORE marginalized in an IM by being such a small component.  But it takes on less importance in all triathons simply because it is first.

2014-10-14 4:40 PM
in reply to: spudone

User image

Pro

Originally posted by spudone

Olympic distance is a little better for the good swimmers, I agree.  But ITU is not.

If you throw someone like Potts in a draft legal race, he's better off loafing to stay with the "lead" swimmers.  Getting ahead a couple minutes is just going to cause you to bike alone and you probably won't stay off the front for long.

Swimming is MORE marginalized in an IM by being such a small component.  But it takes on less importance in all triathons simply because it is first.

Except that if you can't swim you really aren't in the race. 

2014-10-14 4:42 PM

Master
, California

Originally posted by spudone

Except that if you can't swim you really aren't in the race. 

Let me rephrase: swimming with your peers is good.  Swimming exceptionally is discouraged

Edited by spudone 2014-10-14 4:43 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Kona World Championships! Rss Feed  

of 5

RELATED POSTS

Kona World Championship Live Stream Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by petert01
Views: 7369 Posts: 100

2012-10-14 9:04 AM BrianRunsPhilly

Kona Non Championship race?

Started by NewClydesdale
Views: 1470 Posts: 17

2011-10-12 6:46 PM chirunner134

Kona World Championships Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14

Started by kdlsch111
Views: 15918 Posts: 335

2010-10-10 2:25 PM bzgl40

Kailua-Kona's 18-Year-Olds Complete World Championship

Started by xcrunner2010
Views: 1152 Posts: 9

2008-12-05 7:20 PM triatty

Kona Ironman World Championship Broadcast Re-air Sunday

Started by Tri3
Views: 1765 Posts: 25

2007-08-07 10:45 AM 1st Timer in NY
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 12, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Four Kona athletes give us their race stories.

date : October 20, 2010
author : Coach AJ
We interview several age-groupers pre-race on their Ironman Kona race thoughts.
date : October 7, 2008
author : trvw
Q&A with a triathlete who decided to compete last minute while vacationing overseas in Croatia.

date : August 10, 2007
author : leifashley
comments : 4
From couch potato to a tri in 8 weeks. It was the most fun I've had in a long time. The race organizers had it down and there were no problems at all. This was the perfect first tri, in my opinion.
date : December 13, 2004
author : trilover
comments : 1
TriLover recently had the opportunity to interview Tim and Nicole. Read what the DeBooms had to say about triathlon, their support for each other and life.

date : September 4, 2004
author : Daniel Clout
Stay focused on your dreams and stand up for your rights!
My expectations for the quality of this years’ Triathlon world championship were fulfilled. This was because of the superb location that is like no other along with having the top triathletes present.

There is a marvelous destiny out there waiting for you too, but only if you are willing to take chances and put yourself on the line.