BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors v.2 thr.3 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes considered) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 52

2014-12-17 2:19 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: Mad Manatee Mentors v.2 thr.3 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes considered)
Told you i'd be back!

Well yesterday was OWS day and i decided i was just going to be brave and swim round that bloody shipwreck and I did. I started way before the rest of the squad and finished after them all but it's done! Very proud of myself as it was choppy out there. It's so eerie swimming behind this rusty old warship.

The circuit of 'Round the Cerberus' swim is about 1km. Then did a couple of races to the buoy and back all up 2km swim. Happy days.

Incidentally, sleeveless wetsuit is the way to go for me. The full is just too constricting and i've tried 4 different brands. I just don't like the buoyancy in my arms!

2014-12-17 2:32 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Denver, CO
Subject: RE: Mad Manatee Mentors v.2 thr.3 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes considered)

Originally posted by cdban66

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Originally posted by jmkizer

Christ on a crutch who knew a flight from SD could take 16 hours. I had the privileged of sleeping on the floor at SFO. Oh and my luggage is lost. 

Oh no!  At least you arrived safely. 

Shoes are OK though?  Can't lose the running shoes! 

No, two pair are out floating in space!. It's ok in a sense that I am not attached to any one pair. But I definitely have some things I would like back.

My stuff is apparently in Denver at the moment. Cross you fingers.

Mary, can you get Salty's stuff??? Probably a long shot.

Sure.  I'll walk it home to her so it gets back to her faster.   

2014-12-17 2:37 PM
in reply to: jobaxas

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by jobaxas Told you i'd be back! Well yesterday was OWS day and i decided i was just going to be brave and swim round that bloody shipwreck and I did. I started way before the rest of the squad and finished after them all but it's done! Very proud of myself as it was choppy out there. It's so eerie swimming behind this rusty old warship. The circuit of 'Round the Cerberus' swim is about 1km. Then did a couple of races to the buoy and back all up 2km swim. Happy days. Incidentally, sleeveless wetsuit is the way to go for me. The full is just too constricting and i've tried 4 different brands. I just don't like the buoyancy in my arms!

Way to go, Jo! 

I'm with you on the sleeveless wetsuit; I have one and love it.  It doesn't feel constricting at all.  I've only worn one with sleeves once when whitewater rafting.  I managed to stay in the boat so I (luckily!) didn't end up swimming.  I might consider it if the water was really cold but otherwise, I'll stick with the sleeveless.

2014-12-17 3:09 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Seattle

Christ on a crutch who knew a flight from SD could take 16 hours. I had the privileged of sleeping on the floor at SFO. Oh and my luggage is lost. 

Oh no!  At least you arrived safely. 

Shoes are OK though?  Can't lose the running shoes! 

No, two pair are out floating in space!. It's ok in a sense that I am not attached to any one pair. But I definitely have some things I would like back.

My stuff is apparently in Denver at the moment. Cross you fingers.

Mary, can you get Salty's stuff??? Probably a long shot.

Chris, the real question is what size shoe does Salty wear and what size to Mary wear?  ;-)

Hahaha good one! I've got a lot of good stuff in there. Although it's only good to me. No one wants my filthy ol gear

2014-12-17 3:50 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
Mmmm, been ticked off by nanna Janyne
It appears that she believes some of you would be interested in an update about my ticker situ'.
I thought it would have been picked up on FB feed, but anyhooooo.
I went in for an angiogram on Tuesday of last week, bit of a strange experience that.
Arteries looked clear, no obvious signs of heart damage.
The cardio then carried out an ultrasound from within my arteries to check the walls for delineation, of which there was none.
Back home from hospital that day but not allowed to drive until the Saturday.
Still have pains in my chest and there is still no explanation for the funny heart rate pattern that started all this off.
Looks like the elevated levels of triponin found in the blood, which made the doctor think I'd had a heart attack, was caused by the cardio I'd been doing.
Good news that the 40 cigs a day smoking habit for the past 14 years has not caused any noticeable damage to my heart and my cholesterol level is 4.2. Oh, and i have athletic heart syndrome
I'm waiting on a follow up appointment to come through. I don't know what that will involve, more tests, advice (?).
I feel okay in myself, but haven't managed to get out for any phys'.

Oh, I am lost by the cream of the crop reference. You're gonna have to spell that one out for me. Or were you expecting me to come up with some Lude/crude remark?

Edited by Richardsdrr 2014-12-17 4:18 PM
2014-12-17 5:54 PM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
I don't know if this link will work for people with ip's out of the UK but, here is a links to a tv program in the UK about endurance events.

There are two episodes about a series of triathlons held in North Wales that are on my bucket list.The Sandman and The Snowman, which looks particularly epic. There is another that I've missed called The Slateman that is supposed to be just as tough. Just thought I'd share for you to peruse whilst turbo riding, or such.

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/triathlon-endurance-events/on-de...

If it won't let you play it because of your ip I think there's a way to get around it by using sites that reroute your ip.

2014-12-17 7:09 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
2014-12-18 12:07 AM

User image

Elite

Jo, you made the Christmas wish list:

http://triathlon.competitor.com/2014/12/features/triathletes-really-want-holiday-season_110716

I know - his wife thought it hilarious.

Look what else i got…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxk20DYxI10
2014-12-18 1:56 AM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
So Manatees for the first time in my adult life I have done very little reading in the last 12 months (apart from my little addiction period there). I have decided that this needs to be rectified in 2015 and so I am compiling a list of books to read.

With no limitations on topic or anything like that if you had to recommend 5 must read books to someone what would they be?
2014-12-18 6:18 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by StaceyK So Manatees for the first time in my adult life I have done very little reading in the last 12 months (apart from my little addiction period there). I have decided that this needs to be rectified in 2015 and so I am compiling a list of books to read. With no limitations on topic or anything like that if you had to recommend 5 must read books to someone what would they be?

So is this Stace Face asking a reasonable question (addiction under control) or is this like Yanti thinking about training for her next race?

Do you like grand sweeping epic type stuff?

Do you like learn about the world type stuff?

Do you like funny stuff?

Do you like musical stuff?

Do you like life-changing stuff?

2014-12-18 7:22 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Richardsdrr Mmmm, been ticked off by nanna Janyne It appears that she believes some of you would be interested in an update about my ticker situ'. I thought it would have been picked up on FB feed, but anyhooooo. I went in for an angiogram on Tuesday of last week, bit of a strange experience that. Arteries looked clear, no obvious signs of heart damage. The cardio then carried out an ultrasound from within my arteries to check the walls for delineation, of which there was none. Back home from hospital that day but not allowed to drive until the Saturday. Still have pains in my chest and there is still no explanation for the funny heart rate pattern that started all this off. Looks like the elevated levels of triponin found in the blood, which made the doctor think I'd had a heart attack, was caused by the cardio I'd been doing. Good news that the 40 cigs a day smoking habit for the past 14 years has not caused any noticeable damage to my heart and my cholesterol level is 4.2. Oh, and i have athletic heart syndrome

I'm sorry that you are still having some chest pain.  Since you have athletic heart syndrome, it could be that your heart is just to large (ok, that was a bad attempt at a joke).  Seriously, sorry that you're still having some discomfort.  I know that the Not Knowing thing is very frustrating as well.  I hope that you have been staying out of Hannah's hair!

I'm waiting on a follow up appointment to come through. I don't know what that will involve, more tests, advice (?). I feel okay in myself, but haven't managed to get out for any phys'. Oh, I am lost by the cream of the crop reference. You're gonna have to spell that one out for me. Or were you expecting me to come up with some Lude/crude remark?

Not you!

Good thoughts for the follow up visit. 

Take care!

2014-12-18 7:32 AM

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
I meant lewd, but it wouldn't let me edit a 2nd time.
2014-12-18 7:50 AM

User image

Melon Presser

So noted on Manatee pre-New Year opening festivities. We are now in the holding pen and I will let you know when the floodgates swing wide.

2014-12-18 7:51 AM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

Originally posted by StaceyK So Manatees for the first time in my adult life I have done very little reading in the last 12 months (apart from my little addiction period there). I have decided that this needs to be rectified in 2015 and so I am compiling a list of books to read. With no limitations on topic or anything like that if you had to recommend 5 must read books to someone what would they be?

So is this Stace Face asking a reasonable question (addiction under control) or is this like Yanti thinking about training for her next race?

Do you like funny stuff?

This is Stacey Face asking a reasonable question with her addiction reasonably under control
I prefer nonfiction in order to keep the addiction in check. Other than that the answer to all your questions is Yes.
2014-12-18 8:07 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

As Yanti said, I think that some parameters might be helpful.

For classics, my favorites are probably Gatsby and Brave New World.

For young adult, The Book Thief (oddly, classified as ya except in North America where it is classified as adult), Queen of Babble, and the Delirium series (I actually gave Requiem the best review of the three), the Cinder series -- of course The Hunger Games books.

I'm not quite sure how one would classify Susanna Kearsley's work but I really enjoyed Shadowy Horses and Splendour Falls

For more "book club books," I'd say The Art of Racing in the Rain, The Lace Reader, Chosen by a Horse, The Night Circus, Joy Luck Club, Five Quarters of the Orange, The Lovely Bones, The NamesakeJuliet by Anne Fortier, and anything by Tana French.

2014-12-18 8:10 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by StaceyK

Do you like funny stuff?

This is Stacey Face asking a reasonable question with her addiction reasonably under control I prefer nonfiction in order to keep the addiction in check. Other than that the answer to all your questions is Yes.

Oh, well, for nonfiction, how about Sister Queens by Julia Fox and Catherine the Great by Robert Massie.  Fatal Vision if you haven't already read it.

2014-12-18 8:10 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

So noted on Manatee pre-New Year opening festivities. We are now in the holding pen and I will let you know when the floodgates swing wide.

URL?

2014-12-18 9:20 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

As Yanti said, I think that some parameters might be helpful.

For classics, my favorites are probably Gatsby and Brave New World.

For young adult, The Book Thief (oddly, classified as ya except in North America where it is classified as adult), Queen of Babble, and the Delirium series (I actually gave Requiem the best review of the three), the Cinder series -- of course The Hunger Games books.

I'm not quite sure how one would classify Susanna Kearsley's work but I really enjoyed Shadowy Horses and Splendour Falls

For more "book club books," I'd say The Art of Racing in the Rain, The Lace Reader, Chosen by a Horse, The Night Circus, Joy Luck Club, Five Quarters of the Orange, The Lovely Bones, The NamesakeJuliet by Anne Fortier, and anything by Tana French.

I'm reading Eat & Run  by Scott Jurek. He's an American ultramarathoner and it chronicles his journey from awkward midwestern kid to vegan ultramarathoner. I'm really enjoying the book.

2014-12-18 9:22 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by Richardsdrr I don't know if this link will work for people with ip's out of the UK but, here is a links to a tv program in the UK about endurance events. There are two episodes about a series of triathlons held in North Wales that are on my bucket list.The Sandman and The Snowman, which looks particularly epic. There is another that I've missed called The Slateman that is supposed to be just as tough. Just thought I'd share for you to peruse whilst turbo riding, or such. http://www.channel4.com/programmes/triathlon-endurance-events/on-de... If it won't let you play it because of your ip I think there's a way to get around it by using sites that reroute your ip.

Last night I watched a show about the Beauty and the Beast Marathon in the UK. It looked to suit it's name quite well.

2014-12-18 9:36 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

So the death of Norman Bridwell got me thinking about kid books and led me to a Christmas memory that I thought I'd share as a springboard to get everyone to share a Christmas, or Holiday, memory.

As a kid I loved books. I was such a bookworm! I usually got my books from the library but sometimes Momma would let me buy ONE book from the bookmobile or the Scholastic paper (hence the Clifford memory). I was only allowed one because my parents were among the working poor so even a $2 book was a stretch. Christmas presents were usually clothes and fruit. Cliche but true. Well one year I got the WHOLE Laura Ingalls Wilder book collection!!! I was sooooo excited. I loved Little House On the Prairie and felt a connection to Laura because she was born in 1867 and I was born in 1967 (kid logic). Looking back now I realize that book set probably set my folks back quite a bit, but I read those books over and over and over.

Also, every year Mom and Dad would bundle up the four us kids and Momma would make a thermos of hot cocoa and we would go watch the Parade of Lights in Downtown Denver. Then after the parade we would go to the Beef Bowl on South Colorado Blvd for dinner. Again, we didn't have much money so going out to dinner was special. To this day I still love Beef Bowl but most of them have closed.

Okay, holiday memories, go!

2014-12-18 9:44 AM

User image

Master

Merry belated birthdays to Jo and Matt!  ()

Good to see Darren checking in with more details. Hope the next round of tests proves more helpful.

Salty should've just borrowed the bike and ridden home...shoes in the basket and everything else UPS. Probably faster and more fun.

A few non-fiction books for Stacey: Unbroken is a must read if you haven't yet. (forget the movie hype. book is beautiful.) Fixing Freddie and Marley are dog books that made me laugh and cry. Jon Krakauer is my non-fiction author of the moment, Into the Wild and Where Men Win Glory. Seabiscuit and Ruffian are wonderful horse books. Three Cups of Tea was really interesting, though I was disappointed to read about Mortenson's issues later. I Am Malala is on my list of NEED to read.

I have to get ready for T's Christmas program. And we're starting drive to Kansas at noon...a little busy this morning.

2014-12-18 9:58 AM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by 4agoodlife

Good to see Darren checking in with more details. Hope the next round of tests proves more helpful.

Salty should've just borrowed the bike and ridden home...shoes in the basket and everything else UPS. Probably faster and more fun.

A few non-fiction books for Stacey: Unbroken is a must read if you haven't yet. (forget the movie hype. book is beautiful.) Fixing Freddie and Marley are dog books that made me laugh and cry. Jon Krakauer is my non-fiction author of the moment, Into the Wild and Where Men Win Glory. Seabiscuit and Ruffian are wonderful horse books. Three Cups of Tea was really interesting, though I was disappointed to read about Mortenson's issues later. I Am Malala is on my list of NEED to read.

I have to get ready for T's Christmas program. And we're starting drive to Kansas at noon...a little busy this morning.

Good to know about Unbroken. I'll look for it on Kindle!

Have fun at T's program. Wave as you pass through town, orrrrr stop in if you need a place to crash

2014-12-18 10:32 AM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by rrrunner

I have 2 that immediately came to mind:

1. Much like TJ, my folks were not in the upper echelon of income earners. However, one year there were 3 bicycles under the tree, one for each of us kids. That was a good year from the gift perspective.
  2. The other is from dating TW. She grew up in the town we now live in and there was a little tradition called Christmas Card Lane. Local churches and businesses would have a 4x8 plywood sheet up with greetings for the holidays and they would all be on a dirt path in an empty lot.  I can remember driving through it when I'd go to see her. This could be why it was so cool to see that little tradition return this year. I've included samples from this year.

2014-12-18 10:35 AM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by 4agoodlife

Oh, I know.  I was really disappointed

Krakauer is awesome!  Tracy Kidder is up there as well.

2014-12-18 10:48 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by rrrunner

I have 2 that immediately came to mind:

1. Much like TJ, my folks were not in the upper echelon of income earners. However, one year there were 3 bicycles under the tree, one for each of us kids. That was a good year from the gift perspective.
  2. The other is from dating TW. She grew up in the town we now live in and there was a little tradition called Christmas Card Lane. Local churches and businesses would have a 4x8 plywood sheet up with greetings for the holidays and they would all be on a dirt path in an empty lot.  I can remember driving through it when I'd go to see her. This could be why it was so cool to see that little tradition return this year. I've included samples from this year.

I thought those pictures were so festive when you had them on IG.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors v.2 thr.3 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes considered) Rss Feed  

of 52

RELATED POSTS

Manatee Mentors 2014 v.2 thread2 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Pages: 1 ... 100 101 102 103

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 63381 Posts: 2563

2014-10-29 8:19 AM IndoIronYanti

Funked Up Triathletes - Season 2 - Olympic/Sprint Focus - Closed Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27

Started by funkj25
Views: 42780 Posts: 669

2018-01-16 11:34 PM aviatrix802

Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 73043 Posts: 2488

2014-07-30 9:43 AM IndoIronYanti

Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54

Started by slornow
Views: 50796 Posts: 1331

2014-12-18 10:15 PM wannabefaster

Todd's Tri Turtles 3 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10K) Basically Closed Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23

Started by Hunting Triathlete
Views: 25952 Posts: 569

2014-12-14 7:18 PM cassowary
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.

date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.