BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors v.2 thr.3 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes considered) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 52

2014-12-22 12:44 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
Subject: RE: Mad Manatee Mentors v.2 thr.3 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes considered)

I was having a short discussion with Adrienne about goals for my upcoming February HM and figured it might be beneficial to share.

Like many, I am in the middle of run season. I am hopeful that this season (and hopefully the entire year) is going to involve more effort than the "participation" of past years.  To that end, I am using an "Intermediate" program, as opposed to the novice program of past years. So, my immediate goals are improvement.  The HM takes place on a similar course to the one I have run in past years. All things being equal (which they never are), I hope to see a time improvement of about 5-7 minutes or roughly 30 seconds per mile. More importantly, I have personal performance goals for this race that can't be measured with simple time measurements. I am working towards better pacing and a better mental race.  These are tougher to quantify, but I'll know them when I see them.

So, how about the rest of you? Since many of us are in planning mode, what types of goals do you have for the upcoming season/year?

2014-12-22 12:48 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas
Subject: RE: Mad Manatee Mentors v.2 thr.3 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes considered)

Originally posted by amd723 Morning/afternoon/evening Manatees! For various and sundry reasons, I did not get around to sending Christmas cards this year. In fact, I'm so behind I just started buying gifts yesterday!!But, I want to wish you all a Merry Christmas!! ETA: there was supposed to be a Christmas picture attached, but once again it didn't work!!!

Yeaaaaahhhh... about those Xmas cards...  my apologies, but I won't be sending any out this year for other various and sundry reasons.  

Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, Seasons Greetings and I hope each and every one of my Manatee Family the very best for the New Year!  :D 

Crud.  My Xmas pic also didn't work.  

Imagine a manatee wearing a Santa hat.  

2014-12-22 1:05 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by cdban66

I was having a short discussion with Adrienne about goals for my upcoming February HM and figured it might be beneficial to share.

Like many, I am in the middle of run season. I am hopeful that this season (and hopefully the entire year) is going to involve more effort than the "participation" of past years.  To that end, I am using an "Intermediate" program, as opposed to the novice program of past years. So, my immediate goals are improvement.  The HM takes place on a similar course to the one I have run in past years. All things being equal (which they never are), I hope to see a time improvement of about 5-7 minutes or roughly 30 seconds per mile. More importantly, I have personal performance goals for this race that can't be measured with simple time measurements. I am working towards better pacing and a better mental race.  These are tougher to quantify, but I'll know them when I see them.

So, how about the rest of you? Since many of us are in planning mode, what types of goals do you have for the upcoming season/year?

1) Make it to the start line of my marathon

2) Make it to the start line of my marathon without injury

3) Complete my marathon (hopefully enjoying the journey)

I would love to put a time goal on my marathon but at this point I'm focused on the above.

2014-12-22 1:19 PM

User image

Seattle

1. Strength: Lots of mountainous running with some casual racing. Then moving into a trail race series that has a cash prize for cumulative (best 6) races. I want to see what kind of a trail runner I am and what I can become.

2. Hand in hand with strength is love. Continue to nurture my relationship with running.

3. Mental Toughness/Competitive spirit 

These are high level goals and maybe not as quantifiable or SMART as you might like but they will be the drivers for improvement. I will be doing a HM as a fitness check and have some other time based indicators but likely no time goals. Not yet anyway. A lot of what I will be doing, time won't really mean much anyway. Event wise, there are three things on my "A" list as of now:  

to attempt a summit of Mt. Rainier (something I said I would never do because I am scared of heights, so now I have to do haha,)

running a 105 mile segment of the PCT with 25K elevation gain/loss,

and the Mountain Running National Championship.  

2014-12-22 1:20 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by rrrunner

I would love to put a time goal on my marathon but at this point I'm focused on the above.

I think this is a great way to go anyway. I wouldn't be inclined for you to have a solid time goal for your first marathon even if you were full strength. WHen you get closer and so long as you are healthy I think you could have projected A, B and C goals that are ballparked time goals that you can evaluate during the race based off of your plan. Just my 2 cents

2014-12-22 1:24 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by Asalzwed

I think this is a great way to go anyway. I wouldn't be inclined for you to have a solid time goal for your first marathon even if you were full strength. WHen you get closer and so long as you are healthy I think you could have projected A, B and C goals that are ballparked time goals that you can evaluate during the race based off of your plan. Just my 2 cents

That's exactly what I was thinking.

2014-12-22 1:25 PM

User image

Seattle

Also I would like to say thank you for all the Christmas cards.

Admittedly I suck at this kind of thing. 

2014-12-22 1:26 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

1. Strength: Lots of mountainous running with some casual racing. Then moving into a trail race series that has a cash prize for cumulative (best 6) races. I want to see what kind of a trail runner I am and what I can become.

2. Hand in hand with strength is love. Continue to nurture my relationship with running.

These are high level goals and maybe not as quantifiable or SMART as you might like but they will be the drivers for improvement. I will be doing a HM as a fitness check and have some other time based indicators but likely no time goals. Not yet anyway. A lot of what I will be doing, time won't really mean much anyway. Event wise, there are three things on my "A" list as of now:  

to attempt a summit of Mt. Rainier (something I said I would never do because I am scared of heights, so now I have to do haha,)

That is all kinds of awesome. I was reading the part of Eat & Run over the weekend when he ran his first Western States 100. I thought of you.

2014-12-22 1:29 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Yay!!  See y'all there soon.  In the meantime, are we continuing to carry on here?

2014-12-22 1:30 PM

User image

Seattle

That is all kinds of awesome. I was reading the part of Eat & Run over the weekend when he ran his first Western States 100. I thought of you.

Woah woah woah, no ultras for me. Not until I'm like, 40

2014-12-22 1:32 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Haha. I should have clarified. His discussion of the trail itself, and his discussion of mental toughness and of knowing his body is what reminded me of you.

2014-12-22 1:34 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Me too.  I really do appreciate the cards and simply never manage to send any out myself.  I always think I'll do January cards, and those never happen either. 

2014-12-22 1:36 PM

User image

Seattle

Haha. I should have clarified. His discussion of the trail itself, and his discussion of mental toughness and of knowing his body is what reminded me of you.

Phhheew ok. That's a great book. One I need to reread, especially since my heart is a little more in line with his these days. 

Not ready to go vegan yet. Or vegetarian for that matter.

2014-12-22 1:37 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by laffinrock

Me too.  I really do appreciate the cards and simply never manage to send any out myself.  I always think I'll do January cards, and those never happen either. 

How about Christmas in July?

2014-12-22 1:38 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

I get enough of the SMART stuff at work. And while I applaud the concept, it is not really where I am with running/training.

Mention of PCT reminded me of Wild. Has anyone read or seen it?

2014-12-22 1:41 PM

User image

Seattle

I get enough of the SMART stuff at work. And while I applaud the concept, it is not really where I am with running/training.

Definitely read it. Probably going to see it Christmas.

It's fantastic. 

2014-12-22 1:43 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

snip

snip 

Phhheew ok. That's a great book. One I need to reread, especially since my heart is a little more in line with his these days. 

Not ready to go vegan yet. Or vegetarian for that matter.

Yeah, me too. It got me thinking about the fact that paleo and NSNG people make the same claims about easier recovery etc...

2014-12-22 1:46 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

It's fantastic. 

I loaded UNBROKEN on my Kindle to read on our trip to Denver this weekend. Will have to add WILD  to my reading list

2014-12-22 1:47 PM

User image

Seattle

It's fantastic. 

I loaded UNBROKEN on my Kindle to read on our trip to Denver this weekend. Will have to add WILD  to my reading list

That book is so amazing. I heard the movie wasn't so great but that was just one source. I dunno how one could eff up a story that good. 

2014-12-22 1:48 PM

User image

Denver, CO

TJ, I have the same plan for my HM. 

As for tris, I want to do an Oly and 2 sprints this year and can redeem myself on the race I DQ'd this year.  I also want to improve transitions, swimming and bike strength, continue to get better at running, and learn how to race smarter.  You know, just basically do better, both physically and mentally.  I'm not aiming for any particular pace in any discipline as of yet; I'll probably get to that point eventually with the help of my coach.

2014-12-22 1:58 PM

User image

Denver, CO

It's fantastic. 

Unbroken and Wild are both great.  So is The Boys in the Boat.  That's about the 1936 U.S. men's rowing team and it's really good.  DH was a competitive rower and rowing coach.  This book gave me a better sense of what rowing feels like when it works and when it doesn't and why he liked it so much.  Salty, it takes place in Seattle so you might even recognize some of the places they talk about. 

Stacey, you were wondering about non-fiction books to read.  Tomlinson Hill by Chris Tomlinson is really good.  It's by a guy whose family owned slaves in Texas and follows the lives of the White and Black Tomlinson's from slavery to the present.  The forward to the book is by LaDanien Tomlinson, a former National Football League stand-out.  He's one of the Black Tomlinsons.  For those of you who live in Texas, it also talks about the politics in Texas and how it remade its image from a slave state to what it is today.  Pretty interesting stuff (at least to me).

2014-12-22 2:26 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Seattle

REI just contacted me about using some of my instagram content for their page. 

It doesn't mean anything, basically I am contributing for free lol but it's cool to be able to share my experiences on a bigger platform 

2014-12-22 2:29 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

REI just contacted me about using some of my instagram content for their page. 

It doesn't mean anything, basically I am contributing for free lol but it's cool to be able to share my experiences on a bigger platform 

That's awesome! Last week Brooks asked if they could use the picture of me and Mary at the end of our Oktoberfest Tri. Same thing, contributing for free but enjoy sharing the pic (hope Mary doesn't mind )

2014-12-22 2:30 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

I've noticed a few stores doing this and the better ones make sure to give credit to the photog for their work. Actually, I think that is standard IG practice.

2014-12-22 2:32 PM

User image

Seattle

I've noticed a few stores doing this and the better ones make sure to give credit to the photog for their work. Actually, I think that is standard IG practice.

yeah. It seems like the IG community is pretty good about this. I wouldn't really care anyway as I am not a professional. One person did steal one of my photos and posted it as her own, which I thought was very strange (it wasn't a cool photo) but that is quite rare. 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors v.2 thr.3 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes considered) Rss Feed  

of 52

RELATED POSTS

Manatee Mentors 2014 v.2 thread2 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Pages: 1 ... 100 101 102 103

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 63344 Posts: 2563

2014-10-29 8:19 AM IndoIronYanti

Funked Up Triathletes - Season 2 - Olympic/Sprint Focus - Closed Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27

Started by funkj25
Views: 42738 Posts: 669

2018-01-16 11:34 PM aviatrix802

Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 72999 Posts: 2488

2014-07-30 9:43 AM IndoIronYanti

Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54

Started by slornow
Views: 50755 Posts: 1331

2014-12-18 10:15 PM wannabefaster

Todd's Tri Turtles 3 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10K) Basically Closed Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23

Started by Hunting Triathlete
Views: 25926 Posts: 569

2014-12-14 7:18 PM cassowary
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.

date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.