General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Let's Talk Marathons Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2015-01-16 8:07 AM

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina
Subject: Let's Talk Marathons
PSA: The Tobacco Road Half Marathon (TRM) just sold out...I'm guessing the full is not far behind.

I'm running the TRM and have been training fairly hard this winter. Loosely following one of the Hal Higdon plans.

I know a few of you are racing marathons (and halfs) this year. Who are you and which one? Are you following a plan? How's training coming along?

2015-01-16 9:34 AM
in reply to: d00d

User image

Expert
Apex, NC
Subject: RE: Let's Talk Marathons

Myrtle Beach in a month.  Been following the same Pfitz-Douglas 55/18 plan I used for Shamrock '09, Boston '10, and Charleston '13.  I've been sore this round, but able to hit most of my targets.  My one screwup is that I've really not been factoring in nutrition on the long runs like I should have.  I plan to dial that in over the next 4 weeks.  Mileage has really only peaked at like 52 miles, although next week is planned for 53, then 50, 34, and 43 race week (including the 26.2).  

I've been able to hold pretty much any pace I throw at the legs, and have been smart about resting when I needed to, moving runs around, instead of strictly adhering to the plan.  Net effect has been good.  With 4 weeks to go, I am at 73% of my planned miles for this 18 weeks (have run 600.5 of the expected 821.2 miles, which include the race itself).  That's pretty good.

I'm feeling more confident at this point than I did for Charleston 2 years ago, and I went just a tick over 3:15 on a windy, twisty course there.  Hoping the wind stays down for Myrtle, unlike last year.

2015-01-16 1:26 PM
in reply to: fgump

User image

Elite
Originally posted by fgump

Myrtle Beach in a month.  Been following the same Pfitz-Douglas 55/18 plan I used for Shamrock '09, Boston '10, and Charleston '13.  I've been sore this round, but able to hit most of my targets.  My one screwup is that I've really not been factoring in nutrition on the long runs like I should have.  I plan to dial that in over the next 4 weeks.  Mileage has really only peaked at like 52 miles, although next week is planned for 53, then 50, 34, and 43 race week (including the 26.2).  

I've been able to hold pretty much any pace I throw at the legs, and have been smart about resting when I needed to, moving runs around, instead of strictly adhering to the plan.  Net effect has been good.  With 4 weeks to go, I am at 73% of my planned miles for this 18 weeks (have run 600.5 of the expected 821.2 miles, which include the race itself).  That's pretty good.

I'm feeling more confident at this point than I did for Charleston 2 years ago, and I went just a tick over 3:15 on a windy, twisty course there.  Hoping the wind stays down for Myrtle, unlike last year.

sore b/c of the plan? i looked it over and there are a few similarities with the Higdon plan. I didn't think the higdon plan had enough miles, though, so have added some here and there. it's funny that this time around (this'll be my 3rd standalone marathon), I don't feel nearly as beat up as when i was training for my first two (wrightsville beach '12 and boston '13), yet mileage is higher and efforts (intensity) are harder.

what's your nutrition plan look like? i've had pretty good success with UCAN. one serving 30 mins before a long run, and another about halfway through. oh, and water.
2015-01-16 2:17 PM

User image

Expert
Wilmington, NC
I am planning on a few.

Back training after a 1 year hiatus from activity. I think father time is catching up to me a little because I do not feel I am gaining fitness as quick as in the past. For this reason I have pushed my 1st race back about 5 weeks, Was originally going to race Tobacco Rd. Half but I am now planning on just using it as a training run and going to try and race 5 weeks later at the Flying Pirate HM in Kill Devil Hills.

I use my own plan for training but tend to utilize idea's from Renato Canova and Tom Schwatrz when putting it together.

I am planning on a marathon debut later this year. Sounds funny that I will be making my 1st attempt at a marathon at my advanced age. At the moment I am leaning towards having a go at the Richmond Marathon in mid November. Will come up with my own plan for that as well.
2015-01-16 6:29 PM

User image

Expert
Apex, NC

Originally posted by d00d

sore b/c of the plan? i looked it over and there are a few similarities with the Higdon plan. I didn't think the higdon plan had enough miles, though, so have added some here and there. it's funny that this time around (this'll be my 3rd standalone marathon), I don't feel nearly as beat up as when i was training for my first two (wrightsville beach '12 and boston '13), yet mileage is higher and efforts (intensity) are harder. what's your nutrition plan look like? i've had pretty good success with UCAN. one serving 30 mins before a long run, and another about halfway through. oh, and water.

Sore 'cause I'm getting old!  Plan's fine.  Nutrition will be a Gu gel every 5 or so miles depending on how I feel, and alternating water/gatorade until the gatorade stops going down, then water.  

2015-01-17 12:24 PM
in reply to: qrkid

User image

Elite
Originally posted by qrkid

I am planning on a few.

Back training after a 1 year hiatus from activity. I think father time is catching up to me a little because I do not feel I am gaining fitness as quick as in the past. For this reason I have pushed my 1st race back about 5 weeks, Was originally going to race Tobacco Rd. Half but I am now planning on just using it as a training run and going to try and race 5 weeks later at the Flying Pirate HM in Kill Devil Hills.

I use my own plan for training but tend to utilize idea's from Renato Canova and Tom Schwatrz when putting it together.

I am planning on a marathon debut later this year. Sounds funny that I will be making my 1st attempt at a marathon at my advanced age. At the moment I am leaning towards having a go at the Richmond Marathon in mid November. Will come up with my own plan for that as well.

your training has been strong, D. Father Time ain't slowin' you down.
Too bad you're not racing TRM, but understand. I was looking forward to you throwing down!

Marathon debut, huh? That race isn't all that close yet, but what mpw do you expect to top out at? As I mentioned previously, I am adding mileage to the Higdon plan. I expect to top out at low to mid 70s for 2-3 weeks, then start taper. Leading up to that mileage, I plan to ride 3 hours a week, and swim 2.

2015-01-17 12:27 PM
in reply to: fgump

User image

Elite

sore b/c of the plan? i looked it over and there are a few similarities with the Higdon plan. I didn't think the higdon plan had enough miles, though, so have added some here and there. it's funny that this time around (this'll be my 3rd standalone marathon), I don't feel nearly as beat up as when i was training for my first two (wrightsville beach '12 and boston '13), yet mileage is higher and efforts (intensity) are harder. what's your nutrition plan look like? i've had pretty good success with UCAN. one serving 30 mins before a long run, and another about halfway through. oh, and water.

Sore 'cause I'm getting old!  Plan's fine.  Nutrition will be a Gu gel every 5 or so miles depending on how I feel, and alternating water/gatorade until the gatorade stops going down, then water.  

That's cool. I used that plan successfully for my first marathon and it worked fine. I did make sure to "re-dose" with a gel at mile 17 b/c I didn't want to bonk at 20.
2015-01-21 8:54 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
In front of computer when typing this.
Ha, y'awl know what I've been up to (everyone who has responded to this thread so far). Here are my thoughts:

- Training for only one event (a run) has been so much easier time-wise than trying to constantly squeeze in a workout here and there for 3 disciplines. Having said that, I have relatively modest goals for my first marathon so not stressing too much. But having said that, I am pretty competitive with myself so I have secret goals :-)
- Father time has caught me too. I am plain old slow these days. Its a little sad but again, running was never something i really prided myself on so I am not too worried (I first ran more than 2 miles by choice in college- before that was various sports but no running for the sake of running).
- Not feeling very beat up at all, except for my ongoing ligament issue. Everything else feels OK- far less beat up than when training for my one-and-only IM race several years ago.
- qrkid, your training looks strong to me! If you don't race TRM though, you don't get as much biltong! Slacker!
- fgump, your training looks strong to me!
- d00d, your training looks strong to me!
What is left to do? Last 6 or so big weeks of training and hopefully I can extend the time to pain in my leg. Endurance-wise I feel like I can plod along all day on those long, slow runs!
2015-01-21 9:22 AM
in reply to: louiskie

User image

Elite
Originally posted by louiskie

Ha, y'awl know what I've been up to (everyone who has responded to this thread so far). Here are my thoughts:

- Training for only one event (a run) has been so much easier time-wise than trying to constantly squeeze in a workout here and there for 3 disciplines. Having said that, I have relatively modest goals for my first marathon so not stressing too much. But having said that, I am pretty competitive with myself so I have secret goals :-)
- Father time has caught me too. I am plain old slow these days. Its a little sad but again, running was never something i really prided myself on so I am not too worried (I first ran more than 2 miles by choice in college- before that was various sports but no running for the sake of running).
- Not feeling very beat up at all, except for my ongoing ligament issue. Everything else feels OK- far less beat up than when training for my one-and-only IM race several years ago.
- qrkid, your training looks strong to me! If you don't race TRM though, you don't get as much biltong! Slacker!
- fgump, your training looks strong to me!
- d00d, your training looks strong to me!
What is left to do? Last 6 or so big weeks of training and hopefully I can extend the time to pain in my leg. Endurance-wise I feel like I can plod along all day on those long, slow runs!

All I heard was, "I'm a world traveler so I can't run as much as I'd like to" (good one, qrkid) and "I'm getting old so I can't run as much as I'd like to". Wah.

As for only having one discipline to train for, I hear you, man. I've slowly reintroduced cycling and swimming, but when you're really only training for one event, it feels so much easier.

Your training has been pretty solid and consistent, Louis. Your 'modest' goal is actually a good goal for a first marathon and I think you'll do fine. Looking forward to getting out there and seeing you tear it up! Keep it going for the next month and a half. Follow the plan, push yourself, and get to the line ready to have a great race!
2015-01-23 12:59 PM

User image

Veteran
Apex, NC
I'm kind of bummed. I have been planning to volunteer for TR. I was going to sign up for something early morning so I could see you guys finish. But I just found out today that I need to be out in San Diego that weekend for work. So unless I find a workaround I'll miss the race. I'll see what I can do.
2015-01-27 9:07 AM
in reply to: smoom

User image

Elite
You know you're close to race weight when your buds start to ask if you're eating enough. Strangely, wife hasn't mentioned anything....yet.

When I'm in training, the rule at home is that I have to be at least 25lbs heavier than than the wife...at all times. During the next few weeks of peak volume, it may come close. :P

2015-01-27 2:00 PM

User image

Expert
Wilmington, NC
d00d you better eat a cheeseburger. I know I am getting old and my memory is not what it used to be (shut up Louskie) but I remember your wife being pretty slim.
2015-01-28 2:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

d00d you better eat a cheeseburger. I know I am getting old and my memory is not what it used to be (shut up Louskie) but I remember your wife being pretty slim.

Not sayin' anything other than you're treading on very thin ice Daryn, commenting on d00d's wife :-)
2015-01-28 3:10 PM

User image

Elite

Not sayin' anything other than you're treading on very thin ice Daryn, commenting on d00d's wife :-)

rules are rules. i may have to eat that cheeseburger.

btw, i'm joining the ranks of the m40-44 ag this year...i guess i should expect the mind to start failing? :P
2015-01-28 4:33 PM

User image

Expert
Wilmington, NC

btw, i'm joining the ranks of the m40-44 ag this year...i guess i should expect the mind to start failing? :P

One reason I am not doing triathlon. I would be aging up to 45-49 in Tri but running just uses your actual age so I am still in the ol 44 ag.
2015-01-29 7:31 AM

User image

Veteran
Apex, NC

I was going to write a smart reply to that but I forgot what I was going to say.

2015-01-29 1:30 PM

User image

Elite
Originally posted by smoom

I was going to write a smart reply to that but I forgot what I was going to say.

what were we talking about? burgers? i like burgers.

Does anyone here do Yasso 800s when marathon training?

Boy, they're one TOUGH workout. It's the only time I come close to puking during a running workout.
2015-01-29 3:18 PM

User image

Expert
Wilmington, NC
d00d

Is there a particular reason you do the yasso's?
2015-01-30 9:31 AM

User image

Elite

d00d

qrkid, they're on the plan i'm following, but more importantly, i've done them in the past and feel that they help increase strength and mental fortitude. i also like to do them as a general way to monitor fitness gains during a marathon training cycle.
2015-01-30 10:16 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

d00d

qrkid, they're on the plan i'm following, but more importantly, i've done them in the past and feel that they help increase strength and mental fortitude. i also like to do them as a general way to monitor fitness gains during a marathon training cycle.

You mean:

qrkid, they're a way to show slower people just how freakin' fast I am ;-)
2015-01-30 11:49 AM

User image

Elite

d00d

You mean:

stop traveling so much and put in the work to get faster, you bum! :P

2015-01-30 12:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

d00d

You mean:

stop traveling so much and put in the work to get faster, you bum! :P

***runs away sobbing. Grabs a bag of chips and snarfs them down
2015-01-30 12:52 PM

User image

Veteran
Apex, NC
Oh I rock the yassos. I really like some of the other Dr. Seuss workouts as well... spooties, snoggles, cruffets...
2015-02-02 1:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Oh I rock the yassos. I really like some of the other Dr. Seuss workouts as well... spooties, snoggles, cruffets...

Lol. I find I am better at yodeling than yassos. Its like the woodchuck thing:
How many yaks can a yodeler yasso if a yasso yodels a yak?
2015-02-02 1:22 PM

User image

Elite

Lol. I find I am better at yodeling than yassos. Its like the woodchuck thing:
How many yaks can a yodeler yasso if a yasso yodels a yak?

I think you have finally run your brain into the ground. :P

Yodeling sounds funner, though.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Let's Talk Marathons Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Talk to me about the Gary Kirby Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by nc452010
Views: 6394 Posts: 121

2010-06-15 12:30 PM Havin'Fun

Raleigh Rocks & Tobacco Road Marathon/Half Marathon

Started by maria40nc
Views: 6472 Posts: 10

2009-12-18 8:06 AM DMarkSwan

Talk to me about the FSS Long Course Duathlon

Started by tricrazy
Views: 1525 Posts: 8

2009-02-21 12:02 PM doubleplay

Let's dump Lake Crabtree for Falls Lake for Triangle Tri!

Started by fgump
Views: 1330 Posts: 8

2007-11-06 6:59 AM mandy7741

City of Oaks Marathon and Half Marathon return

Started by NCTriNewbie
Views: 1032 Posts: 10

2007-02-28 9:15 PM nuthouse
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 11, 2014
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 1
Why it’s so hard for us to talk about losing at a simple game? Sports are supposed to be about building positive character, supposed to be about fairness, equality, and striving for excellence.

date : September 30, 2011
comments : 0
How do you incorporate marathon training into a triathlon training plan?
date : August 10, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
This month we talk with AdventureBear, aka Coach Suzanne on her coaching philosophy, approach to gadgets, training plans, missed workouts and strength training.

date : October 13, 2009
I signed up for Ironman Frankfurt, next year July - and I am very excited about it. I originally planned to run my first Marathon in the middle of September, but am not sure if this is wise.
date : April 22, 2009
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
After the Marine Corps Marathon, I started developing left lower/lateral leg pain late in my marathon training and pushed through it.