General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running Form - school me on hips Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2015-01-16 9:25 AM

User image

Subject: Running Form - school me on hips
After a second year of running injuries last year I went through a clinic as part of a rehab to evaluate my running form. One thing that was noticed is my hips are not really rotating I believe was the term. I Make an effort to pay attention to how my hips feel while I'm running just not sure what that sensation should be? What I can tell is during most of my runs holding an "easy" pace my form is pretty bad, upright - hands or arms high - minimal hip rotation - no kick. It's like I'm shuffling along. When I concentrate on form my pace picks up almost naturally by 30/50 secs/mile. If I pick up the pace or when sprinting I'm in a better posture, at least it feels that way.I've been following BarryP plan for about 6 months now. I've been slowly uping my MPW to 22-25 currently, long run is 8 miles. So I'd like to figure out this part of the problem so I can keep an easier pace on long runs and not be running like a statue. ETA - the other part of the problem is weak core and not too flexible in the ankles. Working on those.

2015-01-16 9:33 AM
in reply to: Goggles Pizzano

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Running Form - school me on hips

Learn these drills....to the point where you know them inside and out and can do them exactly as you see them.  Do them prior to running every single time you do a run workout. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULwtgZA5wAE 

2015-01-16 10:02 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Thanks. I remember now watching that awhile back from another post from you. I do one or two of those drills from time to time. Have to try and get a little more structured with it.
2015-01-16 10:07 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Goggles Pizzano Thanks. I remember now watching that awhile back from another post from you. I do one or two of those drills from time to time. Have to try and get a little more structured with it.

If you spend a few months doing them religiously you will see improvement in your running form/economy.  It's hard to make them a habit, but once you do it will really pay off for you.

2015-01-16 10:19 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

I can vouch for this. I incorporate many of these and some bobby McGee drills (dog bone drill especially). If nothing else it wakes up my muscles and gets me ready to run.

2015-01-16 10:35 AM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Would you get the same benefit as a separate workout? Say running in the AM and drills at night?

2015-01-16 10:37 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

I think a big part of the benefit is running after doing the drills. It changes the way you run, giving you a different muscle recruitment during your workout.

2015-01-16 10:42 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Goggles Pizzano Would you get the same benefit as a separate workout? Say running in the AM and drills at night?

Part of the reason for doing them in conjunction (before) a run workout is that your body is then set up to put what it is learning/adapting to in those drills to work.  We have never used them as a separate workout.  You have to drop the notion that they are "separate" and perform them as part of your run.  When you do drills in swimming they are done as part of a swim workout....you are still swimming.....the principle is basically the same.

2015-01-16 1:47 PM

User image

I hear what you're saying. It's an amount of time available issue for why I was curious about splittling it up. 2 or 3 of my week day runs are short, about 30 mins. By the time I'm done stretching/ roller it's off to work. So to add the extra time to do drills most days is going to be difficult to fit in during the AM run.
2015-01-16 2:18 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Goggles Pizzano I hear what you're saying. It's an amount of time available issue for why I was curious about splittling it up. 2 or 3 of my week day runs are short, about 30 mins. By the time I'm done stretching/ roller it's off to work. So to add the extra time to do drills most days is going to be difficult to fit in during the AM run.

What we do is incorporate the drills into the run time, at lest until you get to the point where the drills are second nature.  If you do the drills continuously and back to back I think you will find that it can be just "part of your run".  My kid does this each year as he builds his base after a short break.  By the time he is ready to start doing his speed work his form is really cleaned up again from the drills and base miles done after drilling. 

It's something you can play with and see how the drills make you feel as part of your run time instead of just mindlessly running and keeping habits you don't like and are not very efficient. 

2015-01-16 2:35 PM

User image

To incorporate them into morning runs hills would be involved.  As long as that's not conducive to injury I could add them in with loosing minimal MPW.  My disconnect was envisioning getting to a track each day to do them.  Unless there's drills/stretching that can be done indoors before leaving.

2015-01-16 3:29 PM

Master
Northern IL

Getting in a little something will do more than nothing. Maybe quite a bit more? I think along the lines of Dave's post with the mention of recruitment. At least try to do something to get the range firing. You're a swimmer, so maybe not that different from thinking of arm circles before you get in the water? If you're really pressed for time and have to keep to 30 min and not 35, then maybe do a little skipping to get the knee drive building up and also some heel kicks to get the other way going too. Fitting in a bit more of this when you have time. For me, it hasn't been all one or the other that has helped, but the pairing as Dave said.

2015-01-16 4:07 PM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by Goggles Pizzano I hear what you're saying. It's an amount of time available issue for why I was curious about splittling it up. 2 or 3 of my week day runs are short, about 30 mins. By the time I'm done stretching/ roller it's off to work. So to add the extra time to do drills most days is going to be difficult to fit in during the AM run.

What we do is incorporate the drills into the run time, at lest until you get to the point where the drills are second nature.  If you do the drills continuously and back to back I think you will find that it can be just "part of your run".  My kid does this each year as he builds his base after a short break.  By the time he is ready to start doing his speed work his form is really cleaned up again from the drills and base miles done after drilling. 

It's something you can play with and see how the drills make you feel as part of your run time instead of just mindlessly running and keeping habits you don't like and are not very efficient. 

Whoa! you brought in your kid yet again into another thread without any real need and didn't talk about his 5k time, is your ego alright?
2015-01-16 4:08 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by brigby1

Getting in a little something will do more than nothing.

Yup, frequency is the basis for everything, it is what builds a solid foundation to work off. Can effectively train high volume without enough sessions to warren it. Cannot learn motor patterns if you are not consistent, everything comes back to frequency, especially when you are trying to connect the brain to the body.
2015-01-16 4:35 PM
in reply to: bcagle25

User image

Pro
I'm good, Ben, thanks for asking. Nevermind......just run more.
2015-01-17 1:31 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Langley, BC, 'Wet Coast' Canada
Originally posted by bcagle25

Whoa! you brought in your kid yet again into another thread without any real need and didn't talk about his 5k time, is your ego alright?

• .... this seems to be rather uncalled for ......

• 2015-01-18 4:18 AM
    in reply to: triosaurus

User image

Elite
    Originally posted by triosaurus

• .... this seems to be rather uncalled for ...…

• Agreed - seems like a nice thing to do, brag about your talented kid. I know I would.

2015-01-18 9:21 AM
    in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Expert
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Originally posted by dmiller5

I think a big part of the benefit is running after doing the drills. It changes the way you run, giving you a different muscle recruitment during your workout.

Did you mean muscle activation?
    2015-01-18 10:28 AM

User image

Yesterday was day 1 so we'll see in a month or so.
    2015-01-19 8:33 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Maryland

Originally posted by dmiller5

Did you mean muscle activation?

No I meant muscle recruitment, or to be more precise, motor unit recruitment.

2015-01-19 9:32 AM
    in reply to: jobaxas

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Ridgeland, Mississippi

Originally posted by jobaxas

..... this seems to be rather uncalled for ...…
     Agreed - seems like a nice thing to do, brag about your talented kid. I know I would. 

X3 LB has been pretty helpful in this thread. 

2015-01-19 10:04 AM
    in reply to: msteiner

User image

St Catharines, Ontario
    Originally posted by msteiner

Originally posted by jobaxas

..... this seems to be rather uncalled for ...…
     Agreed - seems like a nice thing to do, brag about your talented kid. I know I would. 

X3 LB has been pretty helpful in this thread. 

LB can get boring but I sucked up my ego and had a look at that video and tried the drills out before my weekend run.

I think I am converted!! My run felt very fluid and balanced. By no means did I give it the full 15 minutes but you can really feel different areas being woken up by the different exercises.

From now one when I run home from work the guys will have to get used to me skipping around the parking lot for a few minutes before I head off!
    2015-01-19 4:09 PM
    in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

This is more good form work if you have a facility with an overspeed treadmill.  (and they have competent coaches.....do some homework on that and ask for references) This video is from an Athletic Republic gym that has facilities nationwide.  This treadmill can go to 25 mph and 40% grade.  You run in front of a full sized mirror so that you can instantly work on the feedback you get from the coach.  This video is at 16 mph and 8% grade, so quite advanced..... there are 6-12 week protocols for ALL levels of runners, but you need to have a decent base going in as it's all interval work.  The programs are usually once per week for an hour.....absolute gold for teaching high knees, high cadence, good arm swing, and a balanced stride.

Edited by Left Brain 2015-01-19 4:11 PM

Attachments
    ----------------
    MOV_7958.3gp (810KB - 30 downloads)
    2015-01-19 8:31 PM

User image

Do you have a link for that video? Couldn't get the download to work.
    2015-01-19 8:57 PM

User image

Pro

I don't....it was sent to me as a text.  I'll see if maybe I can upload it to youtube and try it that way.....or maybe someone who Is more computer savvy than me can make it more viewable.

New Thread
    General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running Form - school me on hips Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Running Form Change and hip Pain

Started by ndame88
    Views: 2445 Posts: 13

2012-04-07 6:51 PM ndame88

Need help with my Running Form

Started by runnerx
    Views: 893 Posts: 3

2005-11-10 12:17 PM us50090

running form help

Started by Redhead
    Views: 907 Posts: 8

2004-07-21 2:54 PM jasmine

running form

Started by COgirl
    Views: 779 Posts: 4

2004-05-12 3:34 PM MJS

Running form, the Pose Running method (Learn To RunTM )

Started by DRM
    Views: 1661 Posts: 8

2004-04-09 7:29 PM meanman
    RELATED ARTICLES
    date : July 28, 2008
    author : mjguanella
    comments : 0
    Overweight, ex-high school athlete and father of three decides to enter a triathlon and gets more than he imagined.

date : January 14, 2008
    author : AMSSM
    I have noticed an occasional pain in my left hip flexor. The pain is most noticeable when running uphill. Is there a way to fix the problem without taking time off from training?
    date : January 3, 2008
    author : AMSSM
    Hip or pelvic pain is a common complaint for runners and can range from severe problems, such as stress fractures or arthritis, to mild problems, such as muscle strains or bursitis.

date : July 9, 2007
    author : gsmacleod
    Taking the time to have your running form analyzed can help many athletes run further, faster or both!
    date : October 4, 2006
    author : TriSports.com
    Training for endurance athletics can be a complicated time gobbling monster. This is an understatement for the majority of us that are trying to juggle a full time job and/or school with training.

date : August 22, 2006
    author : KevinKonczak
    Discussions regarding running form and blisters.
    date : October 24, 2004
    author : tri-en
    If you are like many runners you may be frustrated at racing 5K distances and never being able to run them faster. Improve your race pace with this flexible 12 week program.