BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 107

2015-05-18 1:19 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?)

Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Originally posted by rrrunner

Originally posted by IronOx

I got an 80+ mile week in as a good start to my PPA training. What I am most proud of is that there was some serious hill work going on.

I did the hardest hill repeats of my life.

Also, picked up the bike from the powder coat place and dropped it off to be reassembled! It looked GREAT!

Jeebus.  80+ miles is something I will never do, never mind 18% grade hills...  Great work!

Interestingly enough those weren't the hills I was referring to when I said hardest of my life.

The 45" hills I did on Saturday after a tempo were. I was doing them with a teammate who is much faster and stronger than me. They were all out (in the context that I needed to do 6 of them)

45 seconds is a long time for a hard effort like that. I am so glad there were no cameras because I could just feel the ugly face I was making while straining 

I haven't started woking with Coach Lisa yet but she did ask me if I have a mile long hill I can use for repeats. *gulp*

Speaking of coaches... Coach Scott DNFed IMTX on Saturday. I haven't spoken with him. His wife posted on FB that he didn't make the bike cutoff and that he was feeling sick on the bike. IMTX would have been his 10th IM. Sux. Hope he's handling it well.  His T1 was nearly 25 minutes so I wonder if that was due to being sick as well.

Do you have a plan to get started in the interim before you work with Lisa?

I'll be talking with her this week so I'm just starting back slowly in the mean time.

Oh btw I had sent them a request to change my projected finish time so that I didn't look like such an idiot and they e-mailed back, "The good news is that you are no longer on the hook to set a new course record. :-)"

HAHAHAHA! Glad that monkey is off my back

hahaha, that's great!

Oh, a guy came through the Santa Fe airport wearing a PPA jacket so DH asked him about it. Like we racers so often do, the guy just started going on about the race. Most of what he had to say is info that is on the various web sites. Interestingly, he was from Denver but hadn't trainined much above 10,000 ft so the altitude affected him more than he anticipated.

2015-05-18 1:32 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by amd723

I got an 80+ mile week in as a good start to my PPA training. What I am most proud of is that there was some serious hill work going on.

Also, picked up the bike from the powder coat place and dropped it off to be reassembled! It looked GREAT!

Jeebus.  80+ miles is something I will never do, never mind 18% grade hills...  Great work!

Interestingly enough those weren't the hills I was referring to when I said hardest of my life.

The 45" hills I did on Saturday after a tempo were. I was doing them with a teammate who is much faster and stronger than me. They were all out (in the context that I needed to do 6 of them)

45 seconds is a long time for a hard effort like that. I am so glad there were no cameras because I could just feel the ugly face I was making while straining 

I haven't started woking with Coach Lisa yet but she did ask me if I have a mile long hill I can use for repeats. *gulp*

Speaking of coaches... Coach Scott DNFed IMTX on Saturday. I haven't spoken with him. His wife posted on FB that he didn't make the bike cutoff and that he was feeling sick on the bike. IMTX would have been his 10th IM. Sux. Hope he's handling it well.  His T1 was nearly 25 minutes so I wonder if that was due to being sick as well.

I'll be talking with her this week so I'm just starting back slowly in the mean time.

Oh btw I had sent them a request to change my projected finish time so that I didn't look like such an idiot and they e-mailed back, "The good news is that you are no longer on the hook to set a new course record. :-)"

hahaha, that's great!

Oh, a guy came through the Santa Fe airport wearing a PPA jacket so DH asked him about it. Like we racers so often do, the guy just started going on about the race. Most of what he had to say is info that is on the various web sites. Interestingly, he was from Denver but hadn't trainined much above 10,000 ft so the altitude affected him more than he anticipated.

I do have to wonder though, if doing training sessions above 10K are really going to help you.

If you lived up there and trained for a couple weeks, sure. But I'm not sure what kind of effect a few sessions would have.

2015-05-18 1:47 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Yeah... I've been thinking quite a bit about this:

However, this is AFTER training at altitude so most people are going to suffer even more. In general, you can follow the 2 day, 2 week, 2 month plan or the 3 A’s.

1. Lots of neat little things happen in the first 2 days: Increased pulse, breathing etc. This is the Adjust phase.
  2. Lots of cool bigger things happen over the next two weeks. Red blood cell count, hematocrit etc. This is the Acclimation phase.
  3. Over the next 2 months most of what is going to happen will happen and level out including those things mentioned above as well as neurological responses and hormone levels. This is the Adaptation phase.

The key words in both paragraphs are “in general” because some people die (as in dead) at only 8,000 feet. Others have run close to 3 hour marathons with the entire 26.2 mile flat course being at 17,060 feet. Some adapt faster, some seem to never get used to the effects of altitude. But as you can see a weekend (as opposed to consistent training) in altitude is not going to do that much as far as acclimation goes and when you go back to wherever you will lose the benefits just as fast! Bottom line, a lot of people that do the race do not get to train in altitude — nothing can be done about it so do not let it worry you.

However what the weekend on Pikes Peak will do is prepare you for what is ahead so that the experience will not be new. Knowing the course is invaluable! Knowing what hypoxia (lack of oxygen to the brain) feels like will make it much easier the second time! Taken together a weekend on Pikes Peak could shave a VERY significant amount of time off of your race! This IS worth all the trouble and expense and if you can do it, I would recommend it!

I plan to talk with Coach Lisa about it. I could train at 10,000 each week without too much effort to get there. Anything about 10,000 I'd have to drive to Taos. Even so, I'm not sure what a few hours a week at 10,000 would do to help. I live at 5,000 and work at 7,000  and run in both locations.

2015-05-18 1:51 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by laffinrock

TJ, the new challenges sound great!  Trails, hills, hard times but all good and they'll pay off in the end.

Steve, good job with doing what you can do while juggling parenting and work and life in general.  Sometimes tri training can become so all-consuming and it sounds like you're handling it in as balanced a way as possible.  As for using the CX bike to the ride extra hard, that probably slowed you down and you probably would have gotten more miles in if you'd be riding your road bike, right?  In any case, keep up the good work.

Erin, what a relief to be able to have J back and to be able to stay put instead of uprooting and spending time apart.  Congrats to J on the 2nd new gig.  Bet they figured out that if they were going to get him, they'd better get on the stick or he'd be gone for good.

I had a good but really tiring weekend.  Saturday, I had choir rehearsal, weeded and rode on the trainer.  Sunday, I spent 3 hours dancing around like a fool cheering on Colfax HM participants, then rode to and from the rec center, and swam a little (not a lot; I was pretty tired by then).  Got a quick hug from Robin at the race.  Hope I didn't slow her down too much!  I now need a weekend to recover from my weekend.

Dang, I think you get extra points for fitting it all in! Looking at Strava it looks like not much of the Colfax MH was actually on Colfax!

So awesome that you were out there to cheer for Robin, and allllll the others as I know you do.

Great job on some great training too! You can rest next weekend

I live at 500 feet. Fortunately, Vineman is starts at 59 feet  and finishes at 118 feet (how do they get nearly 4000 feet of climbing between the two?!) so I'll be well adjusted ;-)

2015-05-18 1:55 PM

User image

Denver, CO

TJ, the new challenges sound great!  Trails, hills, hard times but all good and they'll pay off in the end.

Steve, good job with doing what you can do while juggling parenting and work and life in general.  Sometimes tri training can become so all-consuming and it sounds like you're handling it in as balanced a way as possible.  As for using the CX bike to the ride extra hard, that probably slowed you down and you probably would have gotten more miles in if you'd be riding your road bike, right?  In any case, keep up the good work.

Erin, what a relief to be able to have J back and to be able to stay put instead of uprooting and spending time apart.  Congrats to J on the 2nd new gig.  Bet they figured out that if they were going to get him, they'd better get on the stick or he'd be gone for good.

I had a good but really tiring weekend.  Saturday, I had choir rehearsal, weeded and rode on the trainer.  Sunday, I spent 3 hours dancing around like a fool cheering on Colfax HM participants, then rode to and from the rec center, and swam a little (not a lot; I was pretty tired by then).  Got a quick hug from Robin at the race.  Hope I didn't slow her down too much!  I now need a weekend to recover from my weekend.

Dang, I think you get extra points for fitting it all in! Looking at Strava it looks like not much of the Colfax MH was actually on Colfax!

So awesome that you were out there to cheer for Robin, and allllll the others as I know you do.

Yeah, there was just a token section there on Colfax.  It was probably better that way anyway.  The route they were on was shadier and it was getting pretty hot by the end.  I was standing in the shade as much as I could but still had to shed a shirt (no, I wasn't going topless--I was wearing 2 shirts ).

No rest for the wicked in terms of training, though.  If I'm gonna do that Evergreen tri with the killer bike hill, I'm going to have to do some hard work between now and the end of July.  Either this weekend or next, DH and I are going to go out and attempt to ride it.  He'll have to put in ear plugs because I can guarantee I'm going to be swearing a blue streak as I wobble my way up.  That is, if I even have the breath to swear at 8,000 ft.!

2015-05-18 1:59 PM

User image

Seattle

However, this is AFTER training at altitude so most people are going to suffer even more. In general, you can follow the 2 day, 2 week, 2 month plan or the 3 A’s.

1. Lots of neat little things happen in the first 2 days: Increased pulse, breathing etc. This is the Adjust phase.
  2. Lots of cool bigger things happen over the next two weeks. Red blood cell count, hematocrit etc. This is the Acclimation phase.
  3. Over the next 2 months most of what is going to happen will happen and level out including those things mentioned above as well as neurological responses and hormone levels. This is the Adaptation phase.

The key words in both paragraphs are “in general” because some people die (as in dead) at only 8,000 feet. Others have run close to 3 hour marathons with the entire 26.2 mile flat course being at 17,060 feet. Some adapt faster, some seem to never get used to the effects of altitude. But as you can see a weekend (as opposed to consistent training) in altitude is not going to do that much as far as acclimation goes and when you go back to wherever you will lose the benefits just as fast! Bottom line, a lot of people that do the race do not get to train in altitude — nothing can be done about it so do not let it worry you.

However what the weekend on Pikes Peak will do is prepare you for what is ahead so that the experience will not be new. Knowing the course is invaluable! Knowing what hypoxia (lack of oxygen to the brain) feels like will make it much easier the second time! Taken together a weekend on Pikes Peak could shave a VERY significant amount of time off of your race! This IS worth all the trouble and expense and if you can do it, I would recommend it!

I plan to talk with Coach Lisa about it. I could train at 10,000 each week without too much effort to get there. Anything about 10,000 I'd have to drive to Taos. Even so, I'm not sure what a few hours a week at 10,000 would do to help. I live at 5,000 and work at 7,000  and run in both locations.

Right. They won't do anything. You, living at the altitude you do and training at it will give benefits but pretty much nothing else you do. 

I really wish I could get there day of and go straight to the race but it's not an option. I'll suffer a little more BUT I think that getting in less than 24 hours before the race will get me in a pretty good spot.

Eh I don't know how much real value I would put in the tip about a weekend on Pikes Peak. Sure, knowing the course is a good idea but do you really think that's going to be a huge issue following the long line of runners making their way up? I also don't know too much about the value of knowing what hypoxia feels like because often, it's different each time. I've seen plenty of mountaineers be totally fine 90 percent of the time and then there is the one time it gets ya.

Probably the BEST thing you can do is increase your vo2 max as much as possible.

2015-05-18 2:09 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Right. They won't do anything. You, living at the altitude you do and training at it will give benefits but pretty much nothing else you do. 

I really wish I could get there day of and go straight to the race but it's not an option. I'll suffer a little more BUT I think that getting in less than 24 hours before the race will get me in a pretty good spot.

Eh I don't know how much real value I would put in the tip about a weekend on Pikes Peak. Sure, knowing the course is a good idea but do you really think that's going to be a huge issue following the long line of runners making their way up? I also don't know too much about the value of knowing what hypoxia feels like because often, it's different each time. I've seen plenty of mountaineers be totally fine 90 percent of the time and then there is the one time it gets ya.

Probably the BEST thing you can do is increase your vo2 max as much as possible.

Good points, and discussions to be had with Coach.  She's trained others for the race, and done it herself, so her input will be interesting.

2015-05-18 2:12 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by jmkizer

I live at 500 feet. Fortunately, Vineman is starts at 59 feet  and finishes at 118 feet (how do they get nearly 4000 feet of climbing between the two?!) so I'll be well adjusted ;-)

Must be that new math

I just remember that when I first moved to Georgia I had to learn how to breathe peanut butter. You all may have more oxygen but there is too much H20 in it!

2015-05-18 2:13 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Yeah, there was just a token section there on Colfax.  It was probably better that way anyway.  The route they were on was shadier and it was getting pretty hot by the end.  I was standing in the shade as much as I could but still had to shed a shirt (no, I wasn't going topless--I was wearing 2 shirts ).

No rest for the wicked in terms of training, though.  If I'm gonna do that Evergreen tri with the killer bike hill, I'm going to have to do some hard work between now and the end of July.  Either this weekend or next, DH and I are going to go out and attempt to ride it.  He'll have to put in ear plugs because I can guarantee I'm going to be swearing a blue streak as I wobble my way up.  That is, if I even have the breath to swear at 8,000 ft.!

Kudos to you (and DH)!

2015-05-18 3:02 PM

User image

Seattle

Good points, and discussions to be had with Coach.  She's trained others for the race, and done it herself, so her input will be interesting.

In rereading I should clarify, I meant an occasional workout above 8k, 10k etc. But I think you knew what I meant

2015-05-18 3:15 PM

User image

Seattle

Is it easier to change a tire on a mountain bike?

Are there any additional tools I should carry? 

2015-05-18 3:20 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Yeah, I knew what you meant.

So Saturday I volunteered at our local 4th annual kids tri. I love this event. The kids are great! (the parents are a pain in the azz)

This year I didn't get pictures of the adorable bikes in transition because I was stationed at the pool this year.  The way the race is set up the 3-5s race, then when they are done the 6-9s race, when they are done the 10-12s race.  Most of my time during the 3-5 race was spent keeping spectators out of the race path of the kids. At that age the parents are allowed to assist their child the whole time.  During the 6-9 race my job was to watch two lanes of 2 kids each (splitting the lane) to go down and back then start the next batch. For this group my biggest problem was staying at the edge of the pool without being pushed in by "supportive" parents.  For the 10-12s my job was to again watch two lanes of two kids each but this time they were doing 3 laps so I was also counting laps.  For this one the parents are allowed no involvement other than cheering from the sidelines, as you would an adult race. So my only challenge for that one was when one boy struggled for the first 25 so when he got to the other end Dad gave him a kickboard. Um no, no parental assistance and absolutely no swim tools.  So when he got back to me I explained he can't have it and I took it away. Then he proceeded to swim/propel himself on the rope for another 100 meters.  I feel bad for the kid and don't understand why his parents signed hime up for a race with a 150 meter swim if he can't do it. Of course, I suppose there is a chance he can do it and just choked but Dad was sure ready to hand him a kickboard...

2015-05-18 3:23 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Yes, and no, in that order

I find my MB much easier to change. Still just need levers, a patch kit and (for me) CO2 (because I cant figure out how to use a pump on a presta valve)

2015-05-18 3:26 PM

User image

Seattle

I find my MB much easier to change. Still just need levers, a patch kit and (for me) CO2 (because I cant figure out how to use a pump on a presta valve)

Yeah I figured it would be. Those damn tires are so tight on the roadie.

and LOL that you find CO2 easier than the pump/presta! At least your option is the lighter one  

2015-05-18 3:27 PM

User image

Seattle

So Saturday I volunteered at our local 4th annual kids tri. I love this event. The kids are great! (the parents are a pain in the azz)

This year I didn't get pictures of the adorable bikes in transition because I was stationed at the pool this year.  The way the race is set up the 3-5s race, then when they are done the 6-9s race, when they are done the 10-12s race.  Most of my time during the 3-5 race was spent keeping spectators out of the race path of the kids. At that age the parents are allowed to assist their child the whole time.  During the 6-9 race my job was to watch two lanes of 2 kids each (splitting the lane) to go down and back then start the next batch. For this group my biggest problem was staying at the edge of the pool without being pushed in by "supportive" parents.  For the 10-12s my job was to again watch two lanes of two kids each but this time they were doing 3 laps so I was also counting laps.  For this one the parents are allowed no involvement other than cheering from the sidelines, as you would an adult race. So my only challenge for that one was when one boy struggled for the first 25 so when he got to the other end Dad gave him a kickboard. Um no, no parental assistance and absolutely no swim tools.  So when he got back to me I explained he can't have it and I took it away. Then he proceeded to swim/propel himself on the rope for another 100 meters.  I feel bad for the kid and don't understand why his parents signed hime up for a race with a 150 meter swim if he can't do it. Of course, I suppose there is a chance he can do it and just choked but Dad was sure ready to hand him a kickboard...

Well, I guess the kid got a hard lesson earlier about the importance of preparation!

Waita' regulate, you dream-killer you  

2015-05-18 3:33 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

and LOL that you find CO2 easier than the pump/presta! At least your option is the lighter one  

True!

2015-05-18 3:34 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Well, I guess the kid got a hard lesson earlier about the importance of preparation!

I haz shame

2015-05-18 4:35 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Denver, CO

So cool that you did that (the race I mean, not the dream-killing).  The whole thing is just such a neat thing and I'll bet those 3-5s were pretty darned cute!  My first thought when reading about that "helpful" dad was that in his rush to help, he's undermining the kid's confidence in himself.  At least the kiddo stuck it out and made it through, even if he did have to hold onto the rope the rest of the way.  Hopefully the dad learned a bit of a lesson too (although probably not...).

Edited by laffinrock 2015-05-18 4:35 PM
2015-05-18 5:07 PM

User image

Master

I haz shame

Nope. The dad should haz the shame. Sheesh, I feel bad for the kid

Edited by 4agoodlife 2015-05-18 5:08 PM
2015-05-18 5:26 PM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Master

http://disneyxd.disney.com/avengers-earths-mightiest-heroes

Our KS friend turned this on this morning.  Ant Man was main character for the episode. lol

2015-05-18 5:30 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Master

Originally posted by popsracer

Hope everyone had a great weekend.

I had to cut my brick short yesterday because of time constraints.  Planned to do 40 mile ride/ 6 mile run but had to cut the bike to 21 miles but I road my CX bike with knobby tires to make it a bit tougher.  Got my full run in and with weekly bricks I'm really starting to run well off the bike.  I am beginning to see that the big four or five hour workouts are going to be very difficult to get in.  I just can't take that amount of time out of the day with everything else in my life.  Same reason I quit golfing years ago.  An hour or two I usually manage to squeeze in sometime during the day but not these long sessions.   I feel I can get the swimming and running workload in for what I want to accomplish but am going to have to temper my expectations on the bike.  I should be doing some 50-60 mile rides in prep for my HIM and that has not happened.  Oh well, I guess we do what we can do.

Exactly! And there has to be some semblance of balance...which you're trying hard to have.

2015-05-18 5:35 PM

User image

Master

Originally posted by StaceyK I hope everyone had a good weekend and that the racing Manatees had a great time. Very quiet, very wet weekend here. Had some good news/bad news with my back. - Good news is that my Bowen therapist reckons one or two more treatments and it will be good as new as long as I behave. She even cleared me to do some very easy very short runs this week and see how I go. - Bad news is she said under no circumstances should I do the 12k that I have entered next weekend. Considering she is coming to visit on Saturday afternoon I very much doubt I would be able to anyway. I never feel great the day after I have seen her. So now I have a dilemma - what do I do with the race shirt? Do I use it or not? It's a pretty decent tech-t which has now cost me $45, it doesn't have a race year or distance on it, just the race name which I have done twice before. So would y'all wear it for training or not?

pfffft...no wasting of shirts!!! If you feel that guilty, you could walk it?

Good to hear there's progress, even if you can't race the 12k.

Edited by 4agoodlife 2015-05-18 5:49 PM
2015-05-18 5:40 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

I think that is so awesome that you volunteered to help these kids out.  Events don't happen without people like you that give of their time.  Thanks.

This does remind me that my son has a kid tri in about two months and the swim is open water in a small lake.  It was his first last year and they could use a life jacket if they wanted.  I made my son as he was just getting the hang of swimming.  I know this year he will want to do it without and I'm already nervous.  I'm going to try to get to the lake after work this evening for my first OWS of the year.  Hopefully my son will go with me as he has a little kayak that he can follow me around in (or me follow him, doh!!).  He also has a little wetsuit so I may throw him in so he can get some practice in too.  I'm sure the water is still pretty cold though (low to mid 50's).

2015-05-18 5:48 PM

User image

Master

That's some funny right there.

Nice training!

2015-05-18 6:00 PM

Master
Northern IL

Yeah, roadie tires are much tighter. I've changed mountain bike ones without any levers. Easy enough a little thought crept in about them staying on!

Haven't had trouble figuring out either inflation, but tend to use have the pump for the mountain bike. Less pressure on making a mistake then. I have used a pump on the road, but not in awhile. Preference of leaving things alone for the most part between race day and training won out.

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  

of 107

RELATED POSTS

Ben's Mentor Group w/ Google Hangouts! ***CLOSED*** Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by bcagle25
Views: 15358 Posts: 182

2015-03-13 3:55 PM wannabefaster

Ryan Mac’s HIM Focus Group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26

Started by Ryan Mac
Views: 27925 Posts: 639

2015-06-15 3:22 PM Ryan Mac

TZCoaching tri getting started group! - CLOSED Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by tzcoaching
Views: 11811 Posts: 98

2015-03-01 12:25 PM tzcoaching

Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 66226 Posts: 2498

2015-02-23 11:27 AM IndoIronYanti

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 54564 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2015
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Are you new? Are you starting to train for your first race in 2015? Join a mentor group to get all of your questions answered.

date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.