BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 107

2015-04-21 11:56 AM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Denver, CO
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?)

Originally posted by 4agoodlife

Originally posted by popsracer

So is one of these in Matt's future?

I call front!!! No way I'm tucking down behind J.

You'd never see a thing!  You'd be more aero though.

2015-04-21 12:02 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Pennsylvania

Casually schlepping around the beach on a tandem = fun.  Seriously riding a tandem any distance = FIGHT! (or misery.  or torture)

2015-04-21 12:32 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by melbo55

Casually schlepping around the beach on a tandem = fun.  Seriously riding a tandem any distance = FIGHT! (or misery.  or torture)

There's a program here for visually impaired cyclists where they get teamed up for tandem rides with people who can see well.  They ride some pretty challenging and long routes.  It's a really cool program.  DH was a volunteer "captain" with them for awhile but the routes were actually a little beyond his ability at the time.

2015-04-21 1:00 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Veteran
East Texas
Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Originally posted by JJ- Love the taper discussions. This is my 4th 70.3 and I've never really gotten the taper quite right. This year I'm trying a different strategy so it will be interesting to see how I feel on Sunday. Can't wait to race with other Manatees next week!!

Out of curiosity, what's your approach this year?

Matt

I would normally have done a longer taper with bigger volume. This year since I got such a late start to my build I basically did a build of volume and intensity right up until 8 days out to push the most out of my fitness and now I'm doing a dramatic taper. Swim Bike and Run like usual but much much less volume than a normal taper. My body is exhausted and fighting a bad cold so hopefully this week I can completely recover and have a great race.
2015-04-22 8:36 AM
in reply to: JJ-

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by JJ-

Originally posted by JJ- Love the taper discussions. This is my 4th 70.3 and I've never really gotten the taper quite right. This year I'm trying a different strategy so it will be interesting to see how I feel on Sunday. Can't wait to race with other Manatees next week!!

Matt

I would normally have done a longer taper with bigger volume. This year since I got such a late start to my build I basically did a build of volume and intensity right up until 8 days out to push the most out of my fitness and now I'm doing a dramatic taper. Swim Bike and Run like usual but much much less volume than a normal taper. My body is exhausted and fighting a bad cold so hopefully this week I can completely recover and have a great race.

I think we are on the same plan, more or less.  I'd usually do a two week peak block after three build blocks (3-4 weeks each), which is what I'll have done by late June (my first half A race).  So, this race fits in after two base blocks and only the first build block.  Did a modified peak week last week (more race intensity, slightly less volume, for about the same TSS as a build week but "sharper") then a one week taper for the race... and then back to building.

Are you feeling like you're shedding fatigue?  The cold getting better?  The Better Half always jokes with me when she's sees my feet up and says, "Oh, I see you're getting faster now."  Kinda true once you put the hay in the barn, as you've done - so rest up this week!

Do you have another long course event on the docket after Galveston?

Matt

2015-04-22 9:23 AM

User image

Denver, CO

Random funny of the day, courtesy of www.dogshaming.com.  Happy Wednesday!

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

2015-04-22 9:33 AM

User image

Veteran
East Texas

Originally posted by JJ-

Matt

I think we are on the same plan, more or less.  I'd usually do a two week peak block after three build blocks (3-4 weeks each), which is what I'll have done by late June (my first half A race).  So, this race fits in after two base blocks and only the first build block.  Did a modified peak week last week (more race intensity, slightly less volume, for about the same TSS as a build week but "sharper") then a one week taper for the race... and then back to building.

Are you feeling like you're shedding fatigue?  The cold getting better?  The Better Half always jokes with me when she's sees my feet up and says, "Oh, I see you're getting faster now."  Kinda true once you put the hay in the barn, as you've done - so rest up this week!

Matt

I feel like I'm shedding fatigue but cold is still bothering me. I"m highly considering Buffalo Springs since I should be in Peak shape by then and I tend to do well on a hilly course. I'm also still considering doing our local half the week after Galveston for back to back 70.3s
2015-04-22 10:24 AM

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by JJ-

Originally posted by JJ-

Matt

Matt

I feel like I'm shedding fatigue but cold is still bothering me. I"m highly considering Buffalo Springs since I should be in Peak shape by then and I tend to do well on a hilly course. I'm also still considering doing our local half the week after Galveston for back to back 70.3s

Either of you guys pay for the training peaks premium? I just signed up for it a couple of weeks ago. This performance management chart is pretty cool. Curious to see what y'alls look like heading into the race.

2015-04-22 10:51 AM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by laffinrock

Random funny of the day, courtesy of www.dogshaming.com.  Happy Wednesday!

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Oh my goodness that is awesome!  (not for the dog momma of course)

2015-04-22 10:53 AM
in reply to: Jet Black

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by Jet Black
Originally posted by JJ-

Originally posted by JJ-

Matt

Matt

Either of you guys pay for the training peaks premium? I just signed up for it a couple of weeks ago. This performance management chart is pretty cool. Curious to see what y'alls look like heading into the race.

That's a great looking chart.  You should be ready to rock and roll on Sunday.  Were the three apparent builds leading up to the recent couple weeks intentional?  Looks something like a 2 on one off approach?

I find that my form tends to pop a little quicker than their chart would predict, but it's close.  I initially didn't believe that it would stay as high as it does as long as it does after shutting down training, either, but I did a sprint after like 3 weeks off a couple years ago (a late season hammy-whammy saw me with a good base and then three weeks of "aggressive taper" prior to the race - wasn't even sure I could race but it came around just in time) and saw my fastest splits in that particular race.

Problem I have with TP currently is that I cannot seem to get my run and swim intensity sorted.  It is using either my run pace to analyze my swim (so I get a TSS for a typical swim workout of like two) or my swim pace for my run (so I get a TSS of like two THOUSAND).  Neither works particularly well for planning...  Used to be able to go and edit in each workout - which was a pain, but at least I could use the above chart for planning purposes.

I'm sure it's user error, and I haven't spent but an hour or two with their tech support, but I haven't fixed it.  Now it feels like there are so many workouts I'd need to edit that even if I could, I'm not sure I would, so I'm ignoring it until after the race. 

Matt

2015-04-22 11:01 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Strava has something like that.  It does a great job at letting me know not only when I'm peaking, but it lets me know when I'm plateauing as well.  over the pas few weeks I've hovered at 70 fitness.  I either have to ride more or ride harder to make it go up at this point.  The Zwift 100 got me back on track.  I won't be riding at all this weekend due to the wedding, so my form should be crazy high leading into my stage race on May 2nd.

2015-04-22 12:16 PM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by msteiner

Strava has something like that.  It does a great job at letting me know not only when I'm peaking, but it lets me know when I'm plateauing as well.  over the pas few weeks I've hovered at 70 fitness.  I either have to ride more or ride harder to make it go up at this point.  The Zwift 100 got me back on track.  I won't be riding at all this weekend due to the wedding, so my form should be crazy high leading into my stage race on May 2nd.

And you'll be peaking for the dance floor. 

I do like the Strava chart, but IIRC it only looks at rides with power.  Of course, that's fine for riding, but tough to integrate with s/r...

Looking forward to the WR and RR (wedding and stage race reports)!

Matt

2015-04-22 12:40 PM

User image

Katy, Texas

That's a great looking chart.  You should be ready to rock and roll on Sunday.  Were the three apparent builds leading up to the recent couple weeks intentional?  Looks something like a 2 on one off approach?

I find that my form tends to pop a little quicker than their chart would predict, but it's close.  I initially didn't believe that it would stay as high as it does as long as it does after shutting down training, either, but I did a sprint after like 3 weeks off a couple years ago (a late season hammy-whammy saw me with a good base and then three weeks of "aggressive taper" prior to the race - wasn't even sure I could race but it came around just in time) and saw my fastest splits in that particular race.

Problem I have with TP currently is that I cannot seem to get my run and swim intensity sorted.  It is using either my run pace to analyze my swim (so I get a TSS for a typical swim workout of like two) or my swim pace for my run (so I get a TSS of like two THOUSAND).  Neither works particularly well for planning...  Used to be able to go and edit in each workout - which was a pain, but at least I could use the above chart for planning purposes.

I'm sure it's user error, and I haven't spent but an hour or two with their tech support, but I haven't fixed it.  Now it feels like there are so many workouts I'd need to edit that even if I could, I'm not sure I would, so I'm ignoring it until after the race. 

Matt

Thanks! The free 20 week RPE is 3 on one off approach until you get to week 4. Then it's two hardish, one medium, one taper to finish. I think I jumped in around week 16/17 at the beginning of the year. It's killing me seeing my fitness going down, but my legs are feeling really good at this point. I just hope when I test the knee it's ok (it only ever hurt while running).

So if you go to your account settings, then "zones", you cannot set it up to your correct threshold levels?
2015-04-22 12:41 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
East Texas

Originally posted by Jet Black
Originally posted by JJ-

Originally posted by JJ-

Matt

Matt

Matt

Here is mine. The left build was my Ironman build last year. This year's build started pretty low after being off from having our baby girl last Fall. Like Matt, you can tell by this build I've only really had two good build periods. I would normally like to have one more build which would take me up to where I was last year.

Edited by JJ- 2015-04-22 12:50 PM
2015-04-22 12:50 PM

User image

Katy, Texas

And you'll be peaking for the dance floor. 

I do like the Strava chart, but IIRC it only looks at rides with power.  Of course, that's fine for riding, but tough to integrate with s/r...

Looking forward to the WR and RR (wedding and stage race reports)!

Matt

Likewise, congrats Mississippieee!

McManatee, here's a preview WR when he shows up in his race kit....

2015-04-22 1:00 PM

User image

Veteran
East Texas
Matt!!!!

Ummmm.....We should not be leading the week on Race Week Taper....Something is not right!

2015-04-22 1:02 PM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

So, interestingly...

I like the Kind bars, especially the one's with chocolate   DS2 and I found some savory flavors that he and DH like that are called Strong & Kind bars.  Well I got an email at work yesterday that the Strong & Kind bars are prohibited because they have... hemp seeds.   Because DH, DS2 and I are all federal employees the bars in the pantry are now going in the trash. Anyone want two Strong & Kind bars?

2015-04-22 1:13 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by rrrunner

So, interestingly...

I like the Kind bars, especially the one's with chocolate   DS2 and I found some savory flavors that he and DH like that are called Strong & Kind bars.  Well I got an email at work yesterday that the Strong & Kind bars are prohibited because they have... hemp seeds.   Because DH, DS2 and I are all federal employees the bars in the pantry are now going in the trash. Anyone want two Strong & Kind bars?

Say wha??
2015-04-22 1:17 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by JJ-

Matt!!!!

Ummmm.....We should not be leading the week on Race Week Taper....Something is not right!

I'm very bad about Strava - I typically only upload outdoor rides.

SPEAKING of Strava, did you hear the partnership with Competitive Cyclist has been suspended? LMAO! TOO POPULAR!!

http://velonews.competitor.com/2015/04/news/competitive-cyclist-sus...
2015-04-22 1:29 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by JJ- Matt!!!! Ummmm.....We should not be leading the week on Race Week Taper....Something is not right!

I think taper doesn't mean what you think it means

2015-04-22 2:28 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Veteran
East Texas

Originally posted by JJ- Matt!!!! Ummmm.....We should not be leading the week on Race Week Taper....Something is not right!

I was just kidding...

2015-04-22 2:37 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

So, interestingly...

Say wha??

And they are going to know if you do how?  As I understand it, hemp has extremely low amounts of THC that I'm not even sure would get picked up in a drug test.  Then again, I suppose you don't want to find out whether drug tests pick it up or not.....

Remind me why this is such a high (ahem) priority for the Feds?  You'd think they'd have bigger fish to fry, especially with the head of the DEA being forced out due to allegations of incompetence!

[climbs off political soapbox]

2015-04-22 2:41 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Originally posted by JJ-

I was just kidding...

I'm drafting for now to sprint past you both at the end.

2015-04-22 3:06 PM

User image

Katy, Texas

Better go for the break away now bro! They're both going to be throwing down ~5+ hrs on Sunday while you're sleeping in.
2015-04-22 4:03 PM

User image

Veteran
East Texas

Originally posted by JJ-

I was just kidding...

Lol
New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  

of 107

RELATED POSTS

Ben's Mentor Group w/ Google Hangouts! ***CLOSED*** Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by bcagle25
Views: 15420 Posts: 182

2015-03-13 3:55 PM wannabefaster

Ryan Mac’s HIM Focus Group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26

Started by Ryan Mac
Views: 28075 Posts: 639

2015-06-15 3:22 PM Ryan Mac

TZCoaching tri getting started group! - CLOSED Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by tzcoaching
Views: 11858 Posts: 98

2015-03-01 12:25 PM tzcoaching

Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 66333 Posts: 2498

2015-02-23 11:27 AM IndoIronYanti

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 54727 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2015
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Are you new? Are you starting to train for your first race in 2015? Join a mentor group to get all of your questions answered.

date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.