of 3

2015-03-24 1:38 PM
in reply to: DarkSpeedWorks

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
Subject: RE: Swim - Pull width

Originally posted by DarkSpeedWorks
Originally posted by Lock_N_Load OK, I'm confused. One change I have made to my stroke that has yielded faster times for me is the near-elimination of the "glide" at the front of the stroke. Sun Yang's reach looks like it lingers up front forever yet he is booking it. Would someone for the love of all that's holy explain where his propulsive power comes from? It doesn't even look like his stroke rate is all that fast. The only thing I can guess is that it's all coming from the force of each individual pull. Would his time be faster if he eliminated the glide time up front?
He's not gliding per se, but, yes, his hand is out in front of his body for a long time. And that is something you should also be trying to do. Doing this, at first, decreases strokes per pool length (low stroke counts are an almost a universal characteristic of fast distance swimmers). This is because this technique reduces drag. Soon after, your decrease of strokes per length changes to an increase in swim efficiency and overall swim speed. So how/why is Sun Yang not gliding? Well, while his leading hand is essentially still and extended in front of this body (which reduces his drag a lot), his following hand is still moving fast and hard. It is finishing up the pull and then it quickly recovers about the water. As that 'following' hand gets near the front of his body, his leading hand finally leaves its extended position and starts its own pull cycle. Rinse. Repeat. That's why it appears that he is gliding, but is actually not. But he still stays in a long extended position for quite a while in every single stroke. Yes, you can have your cake and eat it too. And this 'cake' will help you swim fast, lots faster.

Correlation does not equal causation.  They have lower stroke counts because they are moving faster. Larger distance per stroke means fewer strokes per length.  A taller swimmer (or swimmer with long arms) is likely to have a lower stroke count than a shorter swimmer of the same speed. Artificially lowering your stroke count is quite a poor way to go faster, especially in open water conditions.

2015-03-24 1:47 PM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago, USA
Of course not. But lots of good research has been done on this. Including research that took into account body size. So, among swimmers of equal height, low stroke counts are an almost a universal characteristic of fast distance swimmers.

Is it correlation? Is it causation?
Yes.

Is getting your stroke count lower (than it is right now) a good goal for most distance freestylers? A goal that will result in faster swimming?
Yes.

2015-03-24 2:31 PM

User image

Expert
The Woodlands, TX

Originally posted by Lock_N_Load OK, I'm confused. One change I have made to my stroke that has yielded faster times for me is the near-elimination of the "glide" at the front of the stroke. Sun Yang's reach looks like it lingers up front forever yet he is booking it. Would someone for the love of all that's holy explain where his propulsive power comes from? It doesn't even look like his stroke rate is all that fast. The only thing I can guess is that it's all coming from the force of each individual pull. Would his time be faster if he eliminated the glide time up front?
He's not gliding per se, but, yes, his hand is out in front of his body for a long time. And that is something you should also be trying to do. Doing this, at first, decreases strokes per pool length (low stroke counts are an almost a universal characteristic of fast distance swimmers). This is because this technique reduces drag. Soon after, your decrease of strokes per length changes to an increase in swim efficiency and overall swim speed. So how/why is Sun Yang not gliding? Well, while his leading hand is essentially still and extended in front of this body (which reduces his drag a lot), his following hand is still moving fast and hard. It is finishing up the pull and then it quickly recovers about the water. As that 'following' hand gets near the front of his body, his leading hand finally leaves its extended position and starts its own pull cycle. Rinse. Repeat. That's why it appears that he is gliding, but is actually not. But he still stays in a long extended position for quite a while in every single stroke. Yes, you can have your cake and eat it too. And this 'cake' will help you swim fast, lots faster.

To add to above, if you watch closely the center video of him, his arms straightens but then his shoulder rolls and then the shoulder further extends. As soon as he has fully extended he immediately pulls. So there's no lag time, it just looks that way b/c he is getting such great reach on each pull. Again, to add to the theme of the thread, it's a classic characteristic of a good swimmer...that almost hyper-extended reach out in front. You don't see that much in the tri world, and often the response is just 'pick up the tempo" to offset the poor reach.

2015-03-24 3:25 PM
in reply to: tjfry

User image

Originally posted by tjfry

To add to above, if you watch closely the center video of him, his arms straightens but then his shoulder rolls and then the shoulder further extends. As soon as he has fully extended he immediately pulls. So there's no lag time, it just looks that way b/c he is getting such great reach on each pull. Again, to add to the theme of the thread, it's a classic characteristic of a good swimmer...that almost hyper-extended reach out in front. You don't see that much in the tri world, and often the response is just 'pick up the tempo" to offset the poor reach.

Great thread. This is actually fairly eye-opening to me. I gave up on reach type drills a long time ago but I think I'm going to incorporate these in again together with EVF pull. I think the trick is going to be making sure that I reach out far without over-rotating every stroke. This was part of the reason I stopped worrying so much about strokes per length. I felt it really was causing to over-rotate and the gains in speed were marginal. But now that my stroke and stroke-rate are better it may be time to incorporate stroke reach again. Again, great stuff on this thread.
2015-03-24 3:41 PM
in reply to: Lock_N_Load

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago, USA
Originally posted by Lock_N_Load
Great thread. This is actually fairly eye-opening to me. I gave up on reach type drills a long time ago but I think I'm going to incorporate these in again together with EVF pull. I think the trick is going to be making sure that I reach out far without over-rotating every stroke. This was part of the reason I stopped worrying so much about strokes per length. I felt it really was causing to over-rotate and the gains in speed were marginal. But now that my stroke and stroke-rate are better it may be time to incorporate stroke reach again. Again, great stuff on this thread.

You don't want to go crazy with OVER extending. But you do want to FULLY extend.

But more than that, you want your arm to spend some time out there, fully extended.
No, not fully extended and "gliding".
But fully extended with your other arm pushing like the dickens.
And with your other arm recovering.

Of course, when I say "spend some time out there", this is all in tiny bits of time, and this is all relative.

What you DON'T want to do is, fully extend and then IMMEDIATELY begin your pull.
Instead, fully extend, let your other arm finish pulling, let your other arm even begin its above water recovery, and then take your extended arm and start its pull.

Don't give up.
Think.
And learn.

Greg @ dsw
2015-03-24 3:46 PM

User image

Exton, PA

Absolutely
-what your typical triathlete has to realize is the low stroke count is a result of a very long and effective stroke, not just slowing down your arms.

2015-03-24 4:18 PM

User image

Oakville

Originally posted by DarkSpeedWorks Of course not. But lots of good research has been done on this. Including research that took into account body size. So, among swimmers of equal height, low stroke counts are an almost a universal characteristic of fast distance swimmers. Is it correlation? Is it causation? Yes. Is getting your stroke count lower (than it is right now) a good goal for most distance freestylers? A goal that will result in faster swimming? Yes.

As a consolation to all us AGers, refining the freestyle stroke and lowering the stroke rate is a problem that some of the pros deal with as well.

See the recent blog post from Lionel Sanders where he had to reduce his stroke rate from 22-25 strokes per 25 metres to only 18:

http://lsanderstri.com/2015/02/19/swimming-update/#comments

2015-03-24 4:20 PM

User image

Expert
The Woodlands, TX

Originally posted by Lock_N_Load Great thread. This is actually fairly eye-opening to me. I gave up on reach type drills a long time ago but I think I'm going to incorporate these in again together with EVF pull. I think the trick is going to be making sure that I reach out far without over-rotating every stroke. This was part of the reason I stopped worrying so much about strokes per length. I felt it really was causing to over-rotate and the gains in speed were marginal. But now that my stroke and stroke-rate are better it may be time to incorporate stroke reach again. Again, great stuff on this thread.
You don't want to go crazy with OVER extending. But you do want to FULLY extend. But more than that, you want your arm to spend some time out there, fully extended. No, not fully extended and "gliding". But fully extended with your other arm pushing like the dickens. And with your other arm recovering. Of course, when I say "spend some time out there", this is all in tiny bits of time, and this is all relative. What you DON'T want to do is, fully extend and then IMMEDIATELY begin your pull. Instead, fully extend, let your other arm finish pulling, let your other arm even begin its above water recovery, and then take your extended arm and start its pull. Don't give up. Think. And learn. Greg @ dsw

I would actually disagree with you here. Hanging from a bar, stretching the shoulders against a wall, etc to get the shoulders to further their reach has been a not uncommon activity in my swim life.

2015-03-24 4:28 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago, USA
You don't want to go crazy with OVER extending. But you do want to FULLY extend. But more than that, you want your arm to spend some time out there, fully extended. No, not fully extended and "gliding". But fully extended with your other arm pushing like the dickens. And with your other arm recovering. Of course, when I say "spend some time out there", this is all in tiny bits of time, and this is all relative. What you DON'T want to do is, fully extend and then IMMEDIATELY begin your pull. Instead, fully extend, let your other arm finish pulling, let your other arm even begin its above water recovery, and then take your extended arm and start its pull. Don't give up. Think. And learn. Greg @ dsw

I would actually disagree with you here. Hanging from a bar, stretching the shoulders against a wall, etc to get the shoulders to further their reach has been a not uncommon activity in my swim life.

Perhaps, but I bet we are probably in more agreement than disagreement.

I just think the fixation on extension for many new swimmers (maybe from too many coaches that just use buzz words rather than full explanations?) seems to be all about extending really really really far.

When the key is more to, yes, extend FULLY, but then to also just take your time (relatively speaking) in starting the pull.

I think that's a far better thing to do than extending really really far, but then wasting all that effort by starting the pull immediately. So the time that the body spends fully extended is really really short. And that's not good.

2015-03-24 11:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Langley, BC, 'Wet Coast' Canada
So, may I ask a further question on this? The more flexibility / reach one is capable of, the greater the range of motion through which power can be exerted, and presumably a 'better' more powerful/efficient swim pull. Correct? ( assuming the generally accepted lay person meanings for the previous terms...)

So, the question - Is a lack of strength then an issue? By this, I mean the inability to apply power throughout the complete range of motion. Or is this a non-issue?

Surely, I am 'stronger' than the 11-yr olds who motor past me, leaving me awash in a wake of embarrassment

Seriously, thanks to all for the great info

2015-03-25 8:07 AM
in reply to: #5102282

User image

New user
Thanks for posting that video. I like the side view where you can really see his arm "hitch" at the elbow as the palm and forearm drop down to pull. I'm trying to learn those things now and this video helped me visualize in the pool yesterday (experts please speak up if that is the part of that guy's stroke that people can get hurt trying to emulate).

I don't have anything to offer OP but I have a few questions based on responses above.

Is there consensus that you should leave your arm out there extended (gliding a bit) and not start the pull immediately once you reach extension? Or is that debated?

What is EVF?

2015-03-25 8:22 AM
in reply to: braciole

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago, USA
Originally posted by braciole

Thanks for posting that video. I like the side view where you can really see his arm "hitch" at the elbow as the palm and forearm drop down to pull. I'm trying to learn those things now and this video helped me visualize in the pool yesterday (experts please speak up if that is the part of that guy's stroke that people can get hurt trying to emulate).

I don't have anything to offer OP but I have a few questions based on responses above.

Is there consensus that you should leave your arm out there extended (gliding a bit) and not start the pull immediately once you reach extension? Or is that debated?

What is EVF?

You're not really ever "gliding." Please see all of our posts above for clarification.

EVF = early vertical forearm

2015-03-25 8:29 AM
in reply to: triosaurus

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago, USA
Originally posted by triosaurus

So, may I ask a further question on this? The more flexibility / reach one is capable of, the greater the range of motion through which power can be exerted, and presumably a 'better' more powerful/efficient swim pull. Correct? ( assuming the generally accepted lay person meanings for the previous terms...)

So, the question - Is a lack of strength then an issue? By this, I mean the inability to apply power throughout the complete range of motion. Or is this a non-issue?

Surely, I am 'stronger' than the 11-yr olds who motor past me, leaving me awash in a wake of embarrassment

Very generally, the longer time and distance you can apply propulsive force to the water, the better.

You are likely far stronger than the 11 year olds. And you likely create far more propulsive force than they do to. But their advantage is that they create HUGELY less drag than you.

Yes, you should improve your propulsion. But that will only get you so far.
But make big reductions to your drag, and then you will fly in the water.
That is the key for 95% of adult swimmers.

2015-03-25 8:37 AM
in reply to: braciole

User image

Originally posted by braciole

What is EVF?

I noticed the way his arm hinged, too. It looks so natural for him, but when I tried it, it wasn't so natural. My catch is awful, though. I spent last year doing all the TI stuff and saw no improvement. This winter, I worked on catch and kick. I am by no means fast, but I am 20% faster than I was last year.
2015-03-25 9:04 AM

User image

Exton, PA

Originally posted by triosaurus

Very generally, the longer time and distance you can apply propulsive force to the water, the better.

You are likely far stronger than the 11 year olds. And you likely create far more propulsive force than they do to. But their advantage is that they create HUGELY less drag than you.

Yes, you should improve your propulsion. But that will only get you so far.
But make big reductions to your drag, and then you will fly in the water.
That is the key for 95% of adult swimmers.

It becomes very much like power to weight ratios on a bike when going uphill. (equate drag to weight)

The 11 yr girl has very little drag therefore does not require as much strength to go fast.

You can only reduce your drag so much, at which point you need to increase your propulsion. Notice I did not say strength.
Strength is one part of that propulsion. So yes at some point strength can be a limiting factor, Michael Phelps is not exactly a 98lb weakling right?
For most triathletes they are limited by form and technique.
2015-03-25 9:14 AM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago, USA
Originally posted by mike761

You can only reduce your drag so much, at which point you need to increase your propulsion.

True.

But in my experience teaching many adult onset swimmers, most triathletes are doing OK with propulsion. But many of them have big, big problems with drag.

Propulsion is important too, of course. But, like you say, you can only increase propulsion so much.

While drag is easy to fix rapidly (with good instruction), and it has immediate and big payoffs.

2015-03-25 9:16 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

and good instruction isn't to tell people to swim like sun yang. Try someone like shelly taylor smith,.

2015-03-25 9:18 AM

User image

Exton, PA

You can only reduce your drag so much, at which point you need to increase your propulsion.

True.

But in my experience teaching many adult onset swimmers, most triathletes are doing OK with propulsion. But many of them have big, big problems with drag.

Propulsion is important too, of course. But, like you say, you can only increase propulsion so much.

While drag is easy to fix rapidly (with good instruction), and it has immediate and big payoffs.

Did you read my last line??

2015-03-25 12:58 PM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Expert
The Woodlands, TX

Originally posted by triosaurus So, may I ask a further question on this? The more flexibility / reach one is capable of, the greater the range of motion through which power can be exerted, and presumably a 'better' more powerful/efficient swim pull. Correct? ( assuming the generally accepted lay person meanings for the previous terms...) So, the question - Is a lack of strength then an issue? By this, I mean the inability to apply power throughout the complete range of motion. Or is this a non-issue? Surely, I am 'stronger' than the 11-yr olds who motor past me, leaving me awash in a wake of embarrassment Seriously, thanks to all for the great info
Very generally, the longer time and distance you can apply propulsive force to the water, the better. You are likely far stronger than the 11 year olds. And you likely create far more propulsive force than they do to. But their advantage is that they create HUGELY less drag than you. Yes, you should improve your propulsion. But that will only get you so far. But make big reductions to your drag, and then you will fly in the water. That is the key for 95% of adult swimmers.
It becomes very much like power to weight ratios on a bike when going uphill. (equate drag to weight) The 11 yr girl has very little drag therefore does not require as much strength to go fast. You can only reduce your drag so much, at which point you need to increase your propulsion. Notice I did not say strength. Strength is one part of that propulsion. So yes at some point strength can be a limiting factor, Michael Phelps is not exactly a 98lb weakling right? For most triathletes they are limited by form and technique.

The young swimmer also possesses more specific strength than you, relatively. Meaning that while you are stronger, they will apply a much larger percentage to the specific movement needed to swim, where the adult will waste tons of energy or strength with a sloppy pull.

Also remember, in swimming propulsion also reduces drag, which is unique relative to biking and running. So reduction in drag is good (a la TI), but propulsion can often help reduce drag as well.

2015-03-25 7:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Langley, BC, 'Wet Coast' Canada

Originally posted by triosaurus So, may I ask a further question on this? The more flexibility / reach one is capable of, the greater the range of motion through which power can be exerted, and presumably a 'better' more powerful/efficient swim pull. Correct? ( assuming the generally accepted lay person meanings for the previous terms...) So, the question - Is a lack of strength then an issue? By this, I mean the inability to apply power throughout the complete range of motion. Or is this a non-issue? Surely, I am 'stronger' than the 11-yr olds who motor past me, leaving me awash in a wake of embarrassment Seriously, thanks to all for the great info
Very generally, the longer time and distance you can apply propulsive force to the water, the better. You are likely far stronger than the 11 year olds. And you likely create far more propulsive force than they do to. But their advantage is that they create HUGELY less drag than you. Yes, you should improve your propulsion. But that will only get you so far. But make big reductions to your drag, and then you will fly in the water. That is the key for 95% of adult swimmers.
It becomes very much like power to weight ratios on a bike when going uphill. (equate drag to weight) The 11 yr girl has very little drag therefore does not require as much strength to go fast. You can only reduce your drag so much, at which point you need to increase your propulsion. Notice I did not say strength. Strength is one part of that propulsion. So yes at some point strength can be a limiting factor, Michael Phelps is not exactly a 98lb weakling right? For most triathletes they are limited by form and technique.

The young swimmer also possesses more specific strength than you, relatively. Meaning that while you are stronger, they will apply a much larger percentage to the specific movement needed to swim, where the adult will waste tons of energy or strength with a sloppy pull.

Also remember, in swimming propulsion also reduces drag, which is unique relative to biking and running. So reduction in drag is good (a la TI), but propulsion can often help reduce drag as well.

LOTS of great info/food for thought here. Many thanks.

TJ - can you provide a bit more here, or a link to info on the part about " propulsion can often help reduce drag as well. " I want to wrap my head around that!

2015-03-25 7:43 PM

User image

Pro

I think this is excellent.  Watch this video from last week's Jr. Elite race in Sarasota.  The front kids can hold their own in any pro field.  The reach is evident.  Start watching at about 25 seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOD50RLE-YA&feature=youtu.be

2015-03-26 8:19 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by Left Brain

I think this is excellent.  Watch this video from last week's Jr. Elite race in Sarasota.  The front kids can hold their own in any pro field.  The reach is evident.  Start watching at about 25 seconds.

Could you elaborate on what is "excellent?"

2015-03-26 8:55 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

Originally posted by dmiller5

What I bolded.  jtfry is right as usual with regard to triathlon swimmers.  The good swimmers all concentrate on that long reach, but the first thing most triathlon coaches want to do is increase the tempo to compensate for poor reach in people without good swim technique.  My kid concentrates on swimming during the winter and he has great coaches.  He swims his best times by the end of the short course season.  Then he works mostly with tri coaches while his swim team moves to long course season.  It's funny, because when he goes back to his club to practice after being away from them for a month or so he sounds like an eggbeater in the water compared to the other kids.  It's because his tri coaches are beating it into him to increase his stroke rate.  It's not as bad now because that long reach has been engrained deeper into his technique and when he gets pushed to increase his turnover he doesn't lose the reach as badly.....but he still sounds like he is thrashing the water compared to the other swim club kids when he gets in the pool.  If you look at most of the kids in the front of that pack.....they are extending well.....and swimming faster.  The bottom line in this?  Learn to swim.

Edited by Left Brain 2015-03-26 9:02 AM
2015-03-26 9:05 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

What I bolded.  jtfry is right as usual with regard to triathlon swimmers.  The good swimmers all concentrate on that long reach, but the first thing most triathlon coaches want to do is increase the tempo to compensate for poor reach in people without good swim technique.  My kid concentrates on swimming during the winter and he has great coaches.  He swims his best times by the end of the short course season.  Then he works mostly with tri coaches while his swim team moves to long course season.  It's funny, because when he goes back to his club to practice after being away from them for a month or so he sounds like an eggbeater in the water compared to the other kids.  It's because his tri coaches are beating it into him to increase his stroke rate.  It's not as bad now because that long reach has been engrained deeper into his technique and when he gets pushed to increase his turnover he doesn't lose the reach as badly.....but he still sounds like he is thrashing the water compared to the other swim club kids when he gets in the pool.  If you look at most of the kids in the front of that pack.....they are extending well.....and swimming faster.  The bottom line in this?  Learn to swim.

Interesting, my deck coach  (tri) is always on about increased stroke rate.  The best swimmer I know is always on about getting another couple inches on my reach. 

2015-03-26 9:09 AM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Pro

Interesting, my deck coach  (tri) is always on about increased stroke rate.  The best swimmer I know is always on about getting another couple inches on my reach. 

Not surprising.  When he gets back to swim club his coach is pulling his hair out, "how in the hell do they screw your stroke up this bad???" LOL

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim - Pull width Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

Doing pull sets without a pull buoy

Started by suzielea
Views: 4310 Posts: 19

2011-06-16 1:05 PM em73

Pull Buoy for swim workouts - ideas?

Started by danielle860
Views: 1270 Posts: 8

2006-05-08 5:44 PM Rocket Man

Swim question??Pull bouy good or bad?

Started by DRG
Views: 1211 Posts: 14

2006-02-14 3:04 PM MLJ

swim pull focus?

Started by nikki
Views: 1212 Posts: 15

2006-01-23 5:28 PM nikki

How to Better pull on Swim?

Started by KathyG
Views: 739 Posts: 6

2005-09-07 1:32 PM jerry
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Not really a swim drill, but more of a focus on proper catch and pull technique to engage the lats and not the shoulders.

date : April 23, 2009
Use this tutorial anytime you see a 'pull' workout indicating paddles. Use a pull buoy too.
date : October 29, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
Triathlon swim training discussions on the pull, open water swimming all year, winter swim focus, bilateral breathing during a race and Ironman swim training in 6 weeks.

date : August 22, 2008
author : CPT
In this video, Colorado Premier Training optimized Aaron's aerobar width in the wind-tunnel.
date : May 19, 2008
author : EnduRight
comments : 1
Next time you reach for your pull buoy, think again. By creating dependency on a buoy, the athlete never learns how to correctly create a more efficient freestyle stroke through better body position.

date : March 17, 2008
author : CPT
In this third segment, Colorado Premier Training goes through several bike position tests to improve on rider efficiency. This was accomplished by varying the saddle height and aerobar width.
date : June 18, 2006
The lateral pulldown strength exercise instruction with picture and video

date : November 28, 2004
author : Tri Swim Coach
Work your weakness. In the sport of triathlon, most coaches agree that you should spend the most time working on your weakest of the three sports. For many of you this will be swimming!