General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim - Pull width Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2015-03-20 2:28 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Langley, BC, 'Wet Coast' Canada
Subject: Swim - Pull width
Gahh ... another swim pull question. Perhaps this ought to be sub-titled "How not to pull for idiots"

Ok, I realize it has likely been covered a tri-zillion times (see what I did there?

I read recently in several swim threads that a wide pull is encouraged - hands at 10 and 2. Not to cross the body mid-line at any time. The pull should be wide and not under the body.
So my question is, are we not trying to get as much reach out front as is mechanically possible? Would the hands entering more nearly 12 o'clock (and not crossing the body mid-line) not offer this extra reach? And, as the body rotates does the pulling hand, arm/elbow bent as close to 90*, not naturally seem to come to pull along the body mid-line/belly to hip ...?

Again, my apologies for asking yet another time what has likely been covered ad nauseam, but I am trying to be mindful while swimming. Watching a video seems fine, but I think I may be one who needs a couple repeatable verbal cues i can focus on while in the pool...

2015-03-20 3:17 PM
in reply to: triosaurus

User image

Franklin, TN
Subject: RE: Swim - Pull width

This is how you want to pull...at least in my mind it is.  Arm extension in front of shoulder with pull coming down the side to slightly under the body line.

Sun Yang...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uncOBURz-6o

2015-03-20 3:39 PM
in reply to: JoelO

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Don't try to imitate sun yang, you'll hurt yourself.  Extend in front of your shoulder.

2015-03-20 4:22 PM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Franklin, TN

Not sure what you mean.  Didn't I just say the same thing...extend in front of your shoulder.

2015-03-20 4:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Sun Yang is a one in 7 billion swimmer, his technique, while incredible for him, isn't necessarily something that someone should replicate.

2015-03-20 5:12 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

ok but what about it would cause injury?

2015-03-20 6:55 PM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

most people's shoulders don't move that way

2015-03-20 8:35 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by dmiller5

most people's shoulders don't move that way

Sorry, don't see what he is doing that most people cannot do - well, except for maybe the doping thing (see below).  He is not exhibiting any extraordinary shoulder flexibility.  Aside from the uneven body rotation and the uneven kick, I don't see anything Sun Yang is doing that the average age group triathlete would not be well served by emulating.

That said, I am not so sure that Sun Yang is the best role model as his name is increasingly being mentioned in discussions about doping.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-30173028

http://olympictalk.nbcsports.com/2014/12/02/sun-yang-denis-cotterell-swimming-olympics-coach-doping-ban/

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-12-03/swimming-australia-turns-back-on-china27s-banned-olympic-champ/5936808

2015-03-20 8:51 PM
in reply to: #5102282

User image

Franklin, TN
Your right, there are several great swimmers out there whose form would be good to emulate I.e. Grant Hackett, Katie Ledecky, Ian Thorpe...I just linked the Sun Yang video since it was easy to study.
2015-03-20 9:12 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
My guess is that the great swimmers look a lot more similar underwater than above water.....all have a powerful, efficient pull. Also, what works for them may be unique to their body type or strength profile. For a laugh, I just compared Sun Yang, Katy Ledecky, and Janet Evans. (I'm been accused by several coaches of swimming like the latter. I don't lift my head that much when I breathe, but I do have a similar windmill/slap the water/ high stroke rate thing going on when I swim distances.) Unlike her, I don't have any world records, but I did swim 1500m in 21 minutes and change in my teens, which is a lot faster than most triathletes, using that style. My body build is much more similar to her than Katy or (duh!) Sun Yang, so maybe that's just what happens to work for us.

That being said, I've always understood that your arms are supposed to go in around 11 and 1 o'clock, and going too narrow might lead to over-rotation (which would be inefficient for anybody) and too wide is a waste of energy as you'd be pushing the water in the wrong direction.
2015-03-20 10:03 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by JoelO Your right, there are several great swimmers out there whose form would be good to emulate I.e. Grant Hackett, Katie Ledecky, Ian Thorpe...I just linked the Sun Yang video since it was easy to study.

I agree, that is one of the best videos I have seen.  You can see everything at the same time and in sync!

2015-03-20 10:09 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by Hot Runner My guess is that the great swimmers look a lot more similar underwater than above water.....all have a powerful, efficient pull.

And it starts with a really good catch.  If anyone wants to emulate anything, copy the first part of his underwater movement.  He drops his palm to a vertical position at the catch the quickly establishes a high elbow position through the pull. 

You want power and speed in your pull?  Study his underwater movement and do that.

And you are right.  If you looked at all of the really fast freestyle swimmers, they would look almost identical underwater.

2015-03-21 9:10 AM

User image

Brooklyn, New York

Sun Yang is a one in 7 billion swimmer, his technique, while incredible for him, isn't necessarily something that someone should replicate.

Especially considering he completely stops his kick
2015-03-21 12:23 PM
in reply to: k9car363

Originally posted by k9car363

Originally posted by Hot Runner My guess is that the great swimmers look a lot more similar underwater than above water.....all have a powerful, efficient pull.

And it starts with a really good catch.  If anyone wants to emulate anything, copy the first part of his underwater movement.  He drops his palm to a vertical position at the catch the quickly establishes a high elbow position through the pull. 

You want power and speed in your pull?  Study his underwater movement and do that.

And you are right.  If you looked at all of the really fast freestyle swimmers, they would look almost identical underwater.

Sun Yang's technique is awesome, but honestly, his crazy EVF is literally impossible for 99.9% of triathletes. You need like megavolume and megatalent to pull that off. But trying to approach it is def a goal, even if you don't nail it.. 

2015-03-21 2:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago, USA
I read recently in several swim threads that a wide pull is encouraged - hands at 10 and 2. Not to cross the body mid-line at any time. The pull should be wide and not under the body.
So my question is, are we not trying to get as much reach out front as is mechanically possible? Would the hands entering more nearly 12 o'clock (and not crossing the body mid-line) not offer this extra reach? And, as the body rotates does the pulling hand, arm/elbow bent as close to 90*, not naturally seem to come to pull along the body mid-line/belly to hip ...?

Some good questions.

Hand entry should be essentially in front of the shoulder.
However, oddly, if this is done right, to most beginners, it feels like your hand is entering really really wide, far wider than your shoulders.

Yes, you should be getting as much reach as possible. But don't go too crazy on this.
Because FAR FAR more important is that you leave your arm extended out there for a while.
The more time you can spend extended, the less drag your body will have.

No, you will not get more reach if your arms are at 12 o'clock. Having your arms enter at 12 o'clock will get you to cross over in front of and under your body (not good at all).

You do sort of want to pull down your body, the arm should be pulling down in a line or slight S-curve mostly aligned with your shoulder joint. You absolutely want to avoid crossing you body's midline.
However, oddly, if this is done right, to most beginners, it feels like your arm is pulling out to the side of your body, not under your body.
2015-03-21 7:09 PM
in reply to: #5102339

User image

Extreme Veteran
I love that you are questioning and thinking about this. Back in the day I used to spend hours on a bungee over a mirror playing with angles.
I find a great drill for getting a feel for the pull is the fist drill- swim with your hands in fists. Try and feel how much water you can move with your forearm and biceps (which have more surface area than your hand). Somehow for me adding hands in made it harder to see the impact of adjustments til it came to fine tuning them.

2015-03-22 8:57 AM

User image

Expert
The Woodlands, TX

The wider your pull the flatter your stroke. The flatter your stroke, the better chance for shoulder injury.

2015-03-22 11:29 PM
in reply to: tjfry

User image

Extreme Veteran
Langley, BC, 'Wet Coast' Canada
Thanks to all for the comments and info.

2015-03-23 7:32 AM
in reply to: TJHammer

User image

St Catharines, Ontario
Originally posted by TJHammer

Especially considering he completely stops his kick

Hey, Sun Yang and I have a very similar kick.

[Comparison Ends]
2015-03-24 9:27 AM
in reply to: badmo77a

Baltimore, MD
I watched that Sun Yang video. He only breathes on one side. I bet he does flip turns too.

Open water swimming triathletes can learn nothing from him.
2015-03-24 11:08 AM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

OK, I'm confused. One change I have made to my stroke that has yielded faster times for me is the near-elimination of the "glide" at the front of the stroke. Sun Yang's reach looks like it lingers up front forever yet he is booking it. Would someone for the love of all that's holy explain where his propulsive power comes from? It doesn't even look like his stroke rate is all that fast. The only thing I can guess is that it's all coming from the force of each individual pull. Would his time be faster if he eliminated the glide time up front?

2015-03-24 11:18 AM
in reply to: Lock_N_Load

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by Lock_N_Load

OK, I'm confused. One change I have made to my stroke that has yielded faster times for me is the near-elimination of the "glide" at the front of the stroke. Sun Yang's reach looks like it lingers up front forever yet he is booking it. Would someone for the love of all that's holy explain where his propulsive power comes from? It doesn't even look like his stroke rate is all that fast. The only thing I can guess is that it's all coming from the force of each individual pull. Would his time be faster if he eliminated the glide time up front?

This is why we don't emulate sun yang. His power comes from PED's, incredible genetics, and a position/EVF that none of us can emulate.

2015-03-24 11:46 AM
in reply to: Lock_N_Load

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

He's not really gliding, he's completing his rotation and extension.  Watch his upper body, not his hands.

2015-03-24 1:05 PM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Originally posted by axteraa

He's not really gliding, he's completing his rotation and extension.  Watch his upper body, not his hands.

I guess I don't see this in the video. It looks like he completes the rotation and holds it there until the other hand enters at which point he does a massive EVF pull. So, would he be going faster if instead of holding that reach he initiated the pull earlier? Maybe I'm not seeing right and he really hasn't completed the reach and I'm seeing it as gliding. It really looks like a fairly pronounced TI-like glide to me.
2015-03-24 1:09 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago, USA

He's not gliding per se, but, yes, his hand is out in front of his body for a long time. And that is something you should also be trying to do. Doing this, at first, decreases strokes per pool length (low stroke counts are an almost a universal characteristic of fast distance swimmers). This is because this technique reduces drag. Soon after, your decrease of strokes per length changes to an increase in swim efficiency and overall swim speed.

So how/why is Sun Yang not gliding? Well, while his leading hand is essentially still and extended in front of this body (which reduces his drag a lot), his following hand is still moving fast and hard. It is finishing up the pull and then it quickly recovers about the water. As that 'following' hand gets near the front of his body, his leading hand finally leaves its extended position and starts its own pull cycle. Rinse. Repeat.

That's why it appears that he is gliding, but is actually not.
But he still stays in a long extended position for quite a while in every single stroke.
Yes, you can have your cake and eat it too.
And this 'cake' will help you swim fast, lots faster.

Edited by DarkSpeedWorks 2015-03-24 1:13 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim - Pull width Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

Doing pull sets without a pull buoy

Started by suzielea
Views: 4310 Posts: 19

2011-06-16 1:05 PM em73

Pull Buoy for swim workouts - ideas?

Started by danielle860
Views: 1270 Posts: 8

2006-05-08 5:44 PM Rocket Man

Swim question??Pull bouy good or bad?

Started by DRG
Views: 1211 Posts: 14

2006-02-14 3:04 PM MLJ

swim pull focus?

Started by nikki
Views: 1212 Posts: 15

2006-01-23 5:28 PM nikki

How to Better pull on Swim?

Started by KathyG
Views: 739 Posts: 6

2005-09-07 1:32 PM jerry
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Not really a swim drill, but more of a focus on proper catch and pull technique to engage the lats and not the shoulders.

date : April 23, 2009
Use this tutorial anytime you see a 'pull' workout indicating paddles. Use a pull buoy too.
date : October 29, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
Triathlon swim training discussions on the pull, open water swimming all year, winter swim focus, bilateral breathing during a race and Ironman swim training in 6 weeks.

date : August 22, 2008
author : CPT
In this video, Colorado Premier Training optimized Aaron's aerobar width in the wind-tunnel.
date : May 19, 2008
author : EnduRight
comments : 1
Next time you reach for your pull buoy, think again. By creating dependency on a buoy, the athlete never learns how to correctly create a more efficient freestyle stroke through better body position.

date : March 17, 2008
author : CPT
In this third segment, Colorado Premier Training goes through several bike position tests to improve on rider efficiency. This was accomplished by varying the saddle height and aerobar width.
date : June 18, 2006
The lateral pulldown strength exercise instruction with picture and video

date : November 28, 2004
author : Tri Swim Coach
Work your weakness. In the sport of triathlon, most coaches agree that you should spend the most time working on your weakest of the three sports. For many of you this will be swimming!