General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Marathon tougher than HIM ??? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2015-04-09 11:22 AM
in reply to: keqwow

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Marathon tougher than HIM ???

Apples and oranges.  Plus, harder how?  Length of recovery time?  Difficulty in executing your fastest time?  Suffering during the race?

Either one can be harder depending on how you define it.

2015-04-09 11:32 AM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

Master
San Antone, Texas
Originally posted by TriMyBest

Apples and oranges.  Plus, harder how?  Length of recovery time?  Difficulty in executing your fastest time?  Suffering during the race?

Either one can be harder depending on how you define it.

All of the above, haha!
2015-04-09 12:15 PM
in reply to: #5106832

User image

Katy, Texas
It doesn't sound like many people push very hard in the run on HIMs or IM. So just out of curiosity, what are your time differences for the two? Mine were pretty close. 1:34 PR on HM and 1:40 HM on my HIM. That could be a big reason to see the solo runs harder.
2015-04-09 12:29 PM
in reply to: 3mar

Originally posted by 3mar

It doesn't sound like many people push very hard in the run on HIMs or IM. So just out of curiosity, what are your time differences for the two? Mine were pretty close. 1:34 PR on HM and 1:40 HM on my HIM. That could be a big reason to see the solo runs harder.

It's not that I'm not pushing hard in a HIM run, it's just that I can't physically come close to my open times. If I tried to run at my HM open speed I'd cramp up half way through and it would become a miserable finish (been there, done that) As far as the difference. . . I think you've find a large range of answers but I'm in the same ballpark as you.

Shrug, these answers continue to surprise me, maybe I'm more of a runner than I thought, but I just don't find a marathon to be all that difficult. Maybe if I was a sub 3 guy doing nothing but running and really raced the hell out of them I'd change my tune. Though I could say the same if I was racing the hell out of HIM's too. But when you spend the first 20 miles of the race hanging out with a pacer and a bunch of other people chatting away . . . I just don't see that as being tougher than the HIM.
2015-04-09 1:52 PM
in reply to: ziggie204

User image

Master
San Antone, Texas
Originally posted by ziggie204

But when you spend the first 20 miles of the race hanging out with a pacer and a bunch of other people chatting away . . . I just don't see that as being tougher than the HIM.

What you're describing there is not tougher than an HIM. Because that's not racing a marathon. That's just strolling along for 26.2 miles. Two entirely different things.

For me, if I compare all out racing a marathon (trying to break 3:10 to BQ) and all out racing an HIM (trying to break 5:00), the marathon hurts way worse. During the race and for much longer post race.
2015-04-09 2:08 PM
in reply to: djastroman

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Originally posted by djastroman
Originally posted by ziggie204 But when you spend the first 20 miles of the race hanging out with a pacer and a bunch of other people chatting away . . . I just don't see that as being tougher than the HIM.
What you're describing there is not tougher than an HIM. Because that's not racing a marathon. That's just strolling along for 26.2 miles. Two entirely different things. For me, if I compare all out racing a marathon (trying to break 3:10 to BQ) and all out racing an HIM (trying to break 5:00), the marathon hurts way worse. During the race and for much longer post race.

Sure.  A 3:10 Marathon racer should have no problem breaking 5 hours in a HIM.

2015-04-09 2:11 PM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Master
San Antone, Texas
You're making some big assumptions there.
2015-04-09 2:17 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Originally posted by djastroman You're making some big assumptions there.

A 1:48/100 swim, 20.1mph bike, and a 1:35 run with 2 min transitions gets you 4:59:49.  

I don't think it's a stretch to say someone that can run a 3:10 marathon is capable of that

2015-04-09 2:21 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
San Antone, Texas
You're assuming that marathoner can swim and/or bike that fast for that distance. You're also assuming he/she can post a 1:35 split.

those are big assumptions.

Edited by djastroman 2015-04-09 2:22 PM
2015-04-09 2:33 PM
in reply to: ziggie204

Again, it's not a fair comparison if you're not in comparably good shape for both and are racing both at all-out capacity. 

But if you are, it's very clear from the practices of pro marathoners as well as pro long-distance triathletes, that the marathon is significantly harder on the body. To the point of breaking it if you are truly in shape and pushing it to the max. Point illustrated is that there are NO professional marathoners who will race marathons more than a few times a year, and there are NO pro long course triathletes who even do marathon races at any point in their training, whereas they'll definitely do HIM races as part of their tuneup for IM. You will even see a fair number of pro triathletes doing open half marathons as tune up races for their A race, but you will not see them doing marathons as it is too much of a toll on the body if raced all-out.

2015-04-09 2:34 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina

Originally posted by ziggie204

But when you spend the first 20 miles of the race hanging out with a pacer and a bunch of other people chatting away . . . I just don't see that as being tougher than the HIM.

What you're describing there is not tougher than an HIM. Because that's not racing a marathon. That's just strolling along for 26.2 miles. Two entirely different things.

For me, if I compare all out racing a marathon (trying to break 3:10 to BQ) and all out racing an HIM (trying to break 5:00), the marathon hurts way worse. During the race and for much longer post race.

Agree. I raced a marathon recently, *brag* running a 2:50 */brag*, and it hurt WAY worse than a a HIM this past October, *brag* in which I went 4:35 */brag*. The pain of racing a marathon, IMO, is way more intense and severe. Recovery for the marathon was aprox 2.5 weeks, whereas I was fine 3 days after the HIM.

Edited by d00d 2015-04-09 2:36 PM

2015-04-09 3:42 PM

User image

Veteran
Panama City, FL
Done both marathons and HIMs. To me, the stand alone marathon is much harder on the body. I have done 4 hour marathons and sub 6 hour HIMs. It's just different. The trauma to my lower body and recovery time is longer for the marathon- to me.
2015-04-09 3:51 PM

User image

Pro

This question comes up about once a year, and the answer is always near unanimous.  

2015-04-09 3:58 PM
in reply to: taylorz13

I've experience with neither.

I have high confidence in my ability to complete a 70.3 in a respectable time for a newb, completer, former fat guy.
I have only moderate confidence that I could complete a marathon. My time would not be respectable for a newb marathoner. I would feel the breath of the cutoff sag wagon.

Just had a discussion last night with someone who's doing a marathon this weekend. She's aware of my training, and doesn't think she could do a 70.3. I've no doubt she could as she's done some swimming and cycling. She could probably do it with little to no training. Faster than I could do it. And she's older. She's done some of those ultra length things.

Granted, I'm training for the HIM not a marathon. Even then, if I "run" 8-9 of those 13.1 miles and trot one or two more, I'll be more than thrilled with my results.
2015-04-09 4:08 PM
in reply to: taylorz13

Marathon recovery is much closer to IM recovery for me than HIM.

Marathons are just plain hard when they are raced as fast as you can do it. I ran the NYC marathon last year and then did the JFK 50 mile 3 weeks later and honestly, the marathon took more out of me (I didn't really race the 50 miler, just wanted to finish).

If I race both to the extent of my ability, I am looking at 2 weeks after a marathon before I am mostly recovered as opposed to 3-4 days from a HIM.
2015-04-09 9:08 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan

Marathon is a much harder race on the body than an HIM. Those last 10k are just brutal.

And if your marathon time is 3-4 hours, your HIM time is likely lower than 6-7 hours. Closer to 5.

Exactly! If you are running a marathon right, the last 8-10 K should just suck about as bad as anything you have ever done. When you are done, you shouldn't feel like doing anything else for rest of the day.

The last few Ks of a HIM will suck pretty bad as well (again, if you are doing it "right" which for me means on the edge of your performance envelope) but a short while after finishing it is pretty amazing how good you can feel.

I ran my last open marathon in 2012 and it totally wrecked me. I wasn't sure I ever wanted to do one again. I am finally signed up to do another in six weeks but I am afraid, very afraid, of how much I know it will hurt. (If I wanted to, I could go out and do a HIM this weekend and be relatively fast and not have anywhere near the level of apprehension that I do about the marathon)

2015-04-09 9:09 PM
in reply to: 3mar

User image

Elite
Ontario

Originally posted by 3mar It doesn't sound like many people push very hard in the run on HIMs or IM. So just out of curiosity, what are your time differences for the two? Mine were pretty close. 1:34 PR on HM and 1:40 HM on my HIM. That could be a big reason to see the solo runs harder.

This table should give you a good idea of what you may be capable of for an HIM run - assuming the training is there, and you didn't over cook the swim or bike.

(VDOT.gif)

Attachments
----------------
VDOT.gif (54KB - 6 downloads)
2015-04-10 2:13 AM
in reply to: msteiner

Originally posted by msteiner

Originally posted by djastroman You're making some big assumptions there.

A 1:48/100 swim, 20.1mph bike, and a 1:35 run with 2 min transitions gets you 4:59:49.  

I don't think it's a stretch to say someone that can run a 3:10 marathon is capable of that

A mate of mine did his first 70.3 last November, he's a decent runner, 1.20s for HM, 2.50s for Marathon, and he ended up with 5.20. He's a terrible swimmer and OK cyclist. But it was very windy and very hot and he went too hard (for him) on the bike ended up running a 2hr run leg. He had a bit of a lackadaisical attitude towards the race, thinking he could cruise the bike leg, then smash the run, his bread n butter... welcome to triathlon buddy!

You can probably get away with being an average swimmer to go sub 5, but you need to be OK on the bike, not just your average speed, but you need to come out of T2 feeling relatively fresh. Doesn't matter how quick a runner you are, if you're spent, you're spent. Obviously if you're a decent runner, it's not going to be too hard for you to train up to a sub 5 hr performance, but saying someone who can run a 3.10 marathon is capable of going under 5 hrs is a bit facile.
2015-04-11 1:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Brambleton, VA
A marathon is way tougher than an HIM. In fact, a Marathon is tougher than an IM. For me, a hard full out marathon (3:15 hours) takes me 6 weeks to recover while a fast IM (10:20 hours) only takes a few weeks. My theory is that the bike tires me out so I can not do as much damage on the run.

2015-04-11 1:33 PM
in reply to: GoFaster

User image

Extreme Veteran
Brambleton, VA
Neil / Go Faster - Your chart is spot on. I have never seen that chart, but is awesome. Thanks for sharing.
2015-04-28 9:13 AM
in reply to: swiss tri

User image

Cypress, Texas

I have trained for a half dozen Marathons and actually run two of then (two I trained for were canceled and some I just never signed up for because life got busy).  Preparing for my first 70.3 I found this thread to be very interesting.  

I did my 70.3 last week end as my first Triathlon I have trained for.    I however did a sprint Triathlon 7 years ago and a duathlon 14 years both with no training. They were both just a fun cross training workout.  When I started training for my 70.3 that I just completed I took it seriously and put together a 4 month training plan that I followed very diligently like I have for all the Marathons I ran.  I feel my preparation for my Marathons and my 70.3 were very equal.  The intensity of my Marathon was a lot higher though.  For a marathon my effort is probably 5% higher on the lactate threshold % than I am at in a 70.3 Triathlon.  For me it is easier to do 5-6 hours at the 5% lower effort than 3-3.5 hours at the higher effort.  

2015-04-28 10:22 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
depends what you like

Marathons hurt more I always have something hurt in a marathon. Longer to recover from

HIM are more tiring I recover faster from them and can race one about every 3 weeks.

2015-04-29 8:52 AM
in reply to: BuckHamilton

User image

Cypress, Texas

Well...I am 4 days into recovery from the 70.3 and I still have sore calves.  I guess that I shouldn't have pointed my toes to kick on the swim.  I though the bike and run were going to take the biggest toll on me so I focused on them in training and went light on swimming.  Turns out the swim is what caused the most post race time for recovery.  Who'da thunk?

2015-04-29 2:12 PM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

User image

Master
Oceanside, California
Seems like a pretty academic debate to me.

If you are going for a PR in either, who isn't going to lay it all out by the finish line?

In terms of body abuse, as a fat guy with a stiff back and previous knee surgery,it is far less desirable to train and race run only.

2015-04-29 5:18 PM
in reply to: eabeam

Originally posted by eabeam Seems like a pretty academic debate to me. If you are going for a PR in either, who isn't going to lay it all out by the finish line? In terms of body abuse, as a fat guy with a stiff back and previous knee surgery,it is far less desirable to train and race run only.

No, it's not even remotely close to a purely academic argument. 

The pounding of 26.2 miles run as hard as you can is a really big deal. Like super-high injury risk deal, to the point that no professionals in open marathon or triathlon do more than a few "A" races at marathon distance a year where they really go all out. If you go into the marathon thinking you'll both train and race for it with similar risk to training for a HIM, you'll be at significant risk of an injury, whether it be a stress fracture, or bad tendon/ligament strain that sidelines you for weeks if not months. 

The duration of the race is not as big a factor for injury risk. It'll tire you out, and you may be even too tired to keep going, but it won't break you like running fast for too far will. That's another reason why there are no events like the running "Tour De France" where you'd have to run like 10 marathons in a row on 10 consecutive days. The best running pros would not compete - too much risk for career-ending injury in something like that, even if they have the cardio and endurance to do it.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Marathon tougher than HIM ??? Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

The toughest one day enduance race on the planet - Tough Mudder Pages: 1 2

Started by maria40nc
Views: 10736 Posts: 42

2011-02-03 8:57 AM jmcconne

Vets - Toughest part of your marathon training?

Started by cobannero
Views: 1205 Posts: 17

2006-08-08 12:20 AM cobannero

And you thought your marathon was tough!

Started by zia_cyclist
Views: 772 Posts: 5

2006-05-03 9:21 AM vortmax

How tough was your toughest race? - terrain wise, any distance

Started by cobannero
Views: 1074 Posts: 9

2005-12-07 6:30 PM southwestmba

And you thought running a marathon was tough.

Started by Vaiza
Views: 843 Posts: 4

2005-09-26 5:50 PM TypeA Girl Pilot
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 30, 2011
comments : 0
How do you incorporate marathon training into a triathlon training plan?

date : October 13, 2009
I signed up for Ironman Frankfurt, next year July - and I am very excited about it. I originally planned to run my first Marathon in the middle of September, but am not sure if this is wise.
date : April 22, 2009
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
After the Marine Corps Marathon, I started developing left lower/lateral leg pain late in my marathon training and pushed through it.

date : January 10, 2005
author : ewkfit
My training was taking off. I had never felt stronger. I was making bigger strides than I ever had. I was stronger and faster than I had imagined myself ever being.
date : December 27, 2004
author : trilover
Interview with three-time Ironman World Champion Peter Reid

date : December 13, 2004
author : kanoelani
My first experience as a triathlete and my post-season plan.
date : November 14, 2004
author : czone
At one of my last swim sessions the week of my first Ironman, one of my training partners told me how she was envious..."your first Ironman is fun, you have no pressure and no expectations!"

date : October 24, 2004
author : BrianPBN
I can't say it enough, the feeling of treading water for that final minute, helicopters over head, Mike Riley's Iron-voice over the P.A. - just awesome. I cannot believe I'm here!