General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Marathon tougher than HIM ??? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2015-04-08 6:43 PM

User image

Groton, New York
Subject: Marathon tougher than HIM ???
I was reading a post a few days ago in which someone felt that running a marathon was actually more difficult physically than a HIM. I am curious to hear other opinions on the matter. I ran my first marathon last Fall and I will be doing my first HIM this summer. I can understand that to some extent it is easier in that you are switching up between the three disciplines, but at the same time, you are actually moving for 6-7 hours while in a marathon you are only moving for about 3-4.

So what do you folks think? If you have done both races, what is your input on one race vs the other?

2015-04-08 6:56 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Marathon tougher than HIM ???

Marathon is much harder.  Then again, I did the marathon 6 weeks after the HIM and never ran further than 16 miles training. 

Edited by Left Brain 2015-04-08 6:58 PM
2015-04-08 7:19 PM
in reply to: keqwow

User image

I'd rather do a HIM than a marathon.  If you told me to do a HIM every weekend for a month, I think I could manage.  I wouldn't even attempt marathons on back to back weeks let alone 4 weeks in a row.

I think most of the notion is due to the pounding of running.  The high impact nature leads to more perceived pain and higher recovery costs compared to substituting the other 13.1 miles of running with 56 miles of biking and 1.2 miles of swimming.  For this reason, I actually think that for me, a marathon is tougher than an IM.  Because I'm not in good enough shape to run the entire marathon in an IM, and the *running* I do accomplish isn't nearly as high impact as a stand alone marathon.  It resembles more of a shuffle or a jog which doesn't create as much pounding.

Granted, you can be more tired or exhausted after a HIM or IM due to the greater number of hours...but the pain/pounding part of running trumps that IMO when you talk about *tougher*.

People who are lighter, or don't take as much pounding may feel differently though.

2015-04-08 8:15 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Nope--115 pounds and always been very light on my feet, and I still think a marathon (at least one that I raced hard) hurts more than a HIM. That being said, I think the overall endeavor--the training involved, the level of fatigue (not soreness) from competitive training and racing, and the needed recovery time before gearing up to do another one--are fairly similar. I guess if I didn't race the HIM, I could see doing one every weekend for a month as the distances are all within my comfort levels. Probably it would be harder to do a weekly marathon (even an easy one) as I'd be sore/tired. Maybe if the marathons were on trails and I was younger.....
2015-04-08 8:17 PM
in reply to: #5106832

User image

New user
Marathon was harder for me.
2015-04-08 8:32 PM

I find the HIM more difficult. From a training perspective, it is a much larger time sink. Even when I'm running 50 mpw for a marathon, that's 6-7 hours a week I think. And logistically its soooo much simpler to grab your shoes and run out the door. During the triathlon season, I'm pulling 11-12 hours for comparable results. More two a days, having to fit in pool time. It can be exhausting. I love the simplicity of the fall running season. With respect to race execution, let's be honest, a marathon strategy is very very straight forward. There are so many more factors in a HIM to be concerned about. More opportunities for error. I'm quite surprised by the responses so far, I think it's not even close.

2015-04-08 8:46 PM
in reply to: ziggie204

I suppose it comes down to the individual, but for me HIM is harder. e.g the swim I tend to push pretty hard, the last 500m is generally flat out, then I'm running up the beach into T1, desperate for oxygen, but knowing I have to get moving. You jump on the bike and spin up to speed, still breathing really hard. Running, it's easier for you to get into a rhythm, there's less lung-busting moments where you think you're going to drop dead. Mentally it's easier.
2015-04-08 8:52 PM
in reply to: ziggie204

User image

I have done one of each. I think that they are pretty comparable in effort from my perspective (despite event time difference total). Logistically, the marathon is a lot easier, since you just have to lace up and go (though I cursed the 20 mile treadmill run because of ice on the road this past winter!). I seem to fall in to a "focus" program (mostly bike for centuries and charity riding, mostly running for marathon a few weeks ago, etc.) out of laziness. The genius of HIM training is that you do have to keep up with all three. I have never considered myself a "real" athlete (so I am no expert), but I think if you have done one (marathon or HIM), you can definitely do the other - and shouldn't worry too much about anything more than putting the training time that you need. Above all, have fun or it isn't worth doing.
2015-04-08 9:47 PM
in reply to: jbrookscga78

User image

I'm a very weak cyclist, so the HIM scares me right now. I've done 5 marathons but still can't get my head around being on a bike for that long.
2015-04-08 9:48 PM
in reply to: jennifer_runs

User image

Pro

Originally posted by jennifer_runs I'm a very weak cyclist, so the HIM scares me right now. I've done 5 marathons but still can't get my head around being on a bike for that long.

That's because it's boring as hell and it sucks.

2015-04-08 10:05 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by jennifer_runs I'm a very weak cyclist, so the HIM scares me right now. I've done 5 marathons but still can't get my head around being on a bike for that long.

That's because it's boring as hell and it sucks.

Pick a better course. 

2015-04-08 11:34 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Marathon for me was much harder. It can come down to how you pace the bike. HIM with smartly paced bike = much easier than marathon. I did Branson 70.3 with like 5,000 feet of climbing and the last 6 miles of the run were much easier than the last 6 miles of either of the two marathons I've run.
2015-04-09 7:16 AM

User image

Exton, PA
tough call; After a marathon my body is more sore than after a HIM. However after a HIM I am more exhausted than after a marathon. Part of it also has to do with the weather; Marathons are usually(not always) in cooler weather than a HIM at least the ones I have done. The hot weather takes more out of you.
2015-04-09 7:37 AM
in reply to: 0

If you are well trained and go 'all-out', the marathon is definitely, 100% harder on your body, by a fair margin.

There are essentially zero pro/elite triathletes who will even race a single marathon for a 'tuneup' for even an IM race distance, nor will they even attempt to race even a single marathon during their racing year.

In contrast, you will see a fair number of pros race multiple HIMs in a short period of time, and even race a HIM 10-14 weeks before the Kona World Championships as a 'tuneup' race. They would never, ever do a marathon as a tuneup in contrast.

Even elite marathoners race less than a few marathons per year because it's so physically tough on their bodies.

I will add that training logistics and training time are significantly harder for the HIM than training for the marathon, but the race day event itself is much harder on the body as a marathon, even for the best marathoners.

Edited by yazmaster 2015-04-09 7:37 AM
2015-04-09 8:33 AM

User image

Katy, Texas
I'm going to say for me personally the Marathon was easier. I did my only marathon a while back and I wasn't really competitive back then so I sort of jogged it (finished 3:50). It was in New York and after I had no problem walking across the park back the the UES where I lived and bar hopped with my friends till midnight. I personally go on autopilot for any long distance in any one sport. My last half where I ran hard (1:34) I thought was way worse and I felt like crap for a week after. Same for the HIM (4:59), since the individual distances were shorter, I worked a lot harder. I wasn't terribly fatigued after that one either (I was still worse off on my last HM) but if I had to choose, I'd say it was harder, but not as hard as a shorter race. That's just me though. Anything shorter than a HM I see as something you have to "race" and therefore i work 10x as hard. Anything longer I just sort of chill out.
2015-04-09 8:51 AM
in reply to: 3mar

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by 3mar I'm going to say for me personally the Marathon was easier. I did my only marathon a while back and I wasn't really competitive back then so I sort of jogged it (finished 3:50). It was in New York and after I had no problem walking across the park back the the UES where I lived and bar hopped with my friends till midnight. I personally go on autopilot for any long distance in any one sport. My last half where I ran hard (1:34) I thought was way worse and I felt like crap for a week after. Same for the HIM (4:59), since the individual distances were shorter, I worked a lot harder. I wasn't terribly fatigued after that one either (I was still worse off on my last HM) but if I had to choose, I'd say it was harder, but not as hard as a shorter race. That's just me though. Anything shorter than a HM I see as something you have to "race" and therefore i work 10x as hard. Anything longer I just sort of chill out.

One would think that someone who touts being an engineer seemingly every other post would know to control the variables. If you were in similar shape, that 1:34 HM projects to about a 3:18 marathon. Quite a bit faster than 3:50. So yeah, "sort of jogged it" may be an appropriate description of the marathon, but would also make for a poor comparison seeing how in the HIM you tried doing your best. How hard you go in relation to your best effort for the race matters quite a bit.

2015-04-09 9:04 AM

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by 3mar I'm going to say for me personally the Marathon was easier. I did my only marathon a while back and I wasn't really competitive back then so I sort of jogged it (finished 3:50). It was in New York and after I had no problem walking across the park back the the UES where I lived and bar hopped with my friends till midnight. I personally go on autopilot for any long distance in any one sport. My last half where I ran hard (1:34) I thought was way worse and I felt like crap for a week after. Same for the HIM (4:59), since the individual distances were shorter, I worked a lot harder. I wasn't terribly fatigued after that one either (I was still worse off on my last HM) but if I had to choose, I'd say it was harder, but not as hard as a shorter race. That's just me though. Anything shorter than a HM I see as something you have to "race" and therefore i work 10x as hard. Anything longer I just sort of chill out.

One would think that someone who touts being an engineer seemingly every other post would know to control the variables. If you were in similar shape, that 1:34 HM projects to about a 3:18 marathon. Quite a bit faster than 3:50. So yeah, "sort of jogged it" may be an appropriate description of the marathon, but would also make for a poor comparison seeing how in the HIM you tried doing your best. How hard you go in relation to your best effort for the race matters quite a bit.

Oh totally. That's why I said for me personally. I chill out on long races making them easier for me. Just my experience. Not to say it would apply to anyone else.
2015-04-09 9:26 AM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by 3mar

Oh totally. That's why I said for me personally. I chill out on long races making them easier for me. Just my experience. Not to say it would apply to anyone else.

Well, that was kind of the point. It's not a good comparison even for the individual who did it.

2015-04-09 9:47 AM

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina
Originally posted by keqwow

I was reading a post a few days ago in which someone felt that running a marathon was actually more difficult physically than a HIM. I am curious to hear other opinions on the matter. I ran my first marathon last Fall and I will be doing my first HIM this summer. I can understand that to some extent it is easier in that you are switching up between the three disciplines, but at the same time, you are actually moving for 6-7 hours while in a marathon you are only moving for about 3-4.

So what do you folks think? If you have done both races, what is your input on one race vs the other?

I've raced both. For me, marathons are harder than HIMs for two reasons.

1. Training: The training, especially the LOOOOONG runs, can get quite tough, especially at peak mileage. With a HIM, I can be very competitive with about the same amount of time that I'd dedicate to marathon training, which at peak is around 8 hours a week.

2. Race: Although both events can be challenging, the marathon is a lesson in pain, especially in the last 10K. Any lingering weaknesses that you have are going to become prevalent. With a HIM, you get a break after transitioning to each event. Not so with the marathon.
2015-04-09 9:49 AM

User image

Katy, Texas

Well, that was kind of the point. It's not a good comparison even for the individual who did it.

Well, not to totally highjack the thread, but here's the deal. Perhaps I wasn't 100% clear. My marathon was done quite a few years ago and at that time I certainly wasn't in 1:34 HM shape, probably closer to 1:45. So yes, I didn't push too hard, but not as bad as it sounds. The point I was trying to make is for shorter distances, you tend to spend your time in a higher zone. For me 5 hours at Z2 is easier than 50 minutes at Z4. I see the level of effort in a marathon as a lower sustained effort than a HIM simply because, although the HIM is longer, the individual segments are shorter causing (at least me) to push harder for those, so I end up in a race that is longer and at a higher sustained effort. It's just my personal opinion and how I react to racing.
2015-04-09 10:12 AM

Master
Northern IL

Well, not to totally highjack the thread, but here's the deal. Perhaps I wasn't 100% clear. My marathon was done quite a few years ago and at that time I certainly wasn't in 1:34 HM shape, probably closer to 1:45. So yes, I didn't push too hard, but not as bad as it sounds. The point I was trying to make is for shorter distances, you tend to spend your time in a higher zone. For me 5 hours at Z2 is easier than 50 minutes at Z4. I see the level of effort in a marathon as a lower sustained effort than a HIM simply because, although the HIM is longer, the individual segments are shorter causing (at least me) to push harder for those, so I end up in a race that is longer and at a higher sustained effort. It's just my personal opinion and how I react to racing.

The effort you did in that marathon was lower than the HIM. The effort of a well raced marathon is going to be higher than that, closer to the HIM and maybe maybe a bit more so. Exactly where they all fall depends on the strengths of the individual. For you, racing the marathon would have been somewhere in Z3, not Z2. And given your increase in run fitness it's likely to be quite high in Z3. Plus there is the matter of the additional running being more time in a weight bearing activity. Even at a similar effort level, the eccentric loading of the landing makes for more strain on the body. So the HIM can still drain more energy, but the additional running causes more soreness. Controlling as best one can for "well raced". Backing off on either and trying to use it in the comparison is what splits away from the original question, much more so than anything else that has come up.

2015-04-09 10:51 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

I've had people tell me that a marathon is even harder physically than a full IM.  That sounds counter-intuitive, but the logic is that your pace for the marathon in the IM is way more relaxed than what you would do in an open full.  

I don't know if I agree with that, but I definitely think running 26.2 miles at a moderate pace is way harder than a HIM.  Your pace is so moderate in a HIM in comparison, and you're not beating up the same muscles constantly.  Heck I can ride for 100 miles and be good within two days.  If I run a full, then I'm at least taking one week off for recovery.

2015-04-09 10:53 AM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Raced both over the years, with the HIMs more recently.  Marathon was much tougher on me.  I always say my marathons weren't half over until 20 miles in.  That first 20 was usually enjoyable, even when I was on race pace.  I had to dig a lot deeper after 20, and especially after 22, miles than even the last 4 miles of a hammer down HIM.  Granted, the last 2 miles of my last HIM were VERY painful, but it was a qualitatively different pain and the recovery took less time.

Same thing with training.  One of the reasons I really like multi-sport is that I always feel like I'm one or two workouts short of where I'd like to be in each sport each week.  What **I think** that has translated to is a lower risk of injury in training for a similar or better level of age adjusted performance, tri as compared to run.  When I do a run focus (although I really really enjoy these), it's almost as though I have too much time available and push juuuuuuuust over the edge into some minor tweak.  That and, though I don't have a great "build" for a triathlete, I have an even less optimal pure runner's build!

Perhaps if I ran a marathon now it would be different, but I suspect my younger self recovered better than the current bald version!  (OK, I was bald even back then, but you know what I mean).

Matt

2015-04-09 10:58 AM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by msteiner

I've had people tell me that a marathon is even harder physically than a full IM.  That sounds counter-intuitive, but the logic is that your pace for the marathon in the IM is way more relaxed than what you would do in an open full.  

I don't know if I agree with that, but I definitely think running 26.2 miles at a moderate pace is way harder than a HIM.  Your pace is so moderate in a HIM in comparison, and you're not beating up the same muscles constantly.  Heck I can ride for 100 miles and be good within two days.  If I run a full, then I'm at least taking one week off for recovery.

Definitely true for me in the HIM distance (can't speak to an IM).  My open HM pace is faster, of course, than the HIM pace - but not for lack of effort, so for me it's not as "relaxed" as it is unable to go that fast.  By the time I get to the run, I'm fatigued enough that I can't actually hold my open pace.  So, while the exertion feels pretty close to the same (or at least the pain level!), I just don't have the CV or muscular reserve left to hit that pace.  That has made my HIM recovery similar to or even less than a HM PR attempt, for example.

Similar to my above post, where in training I not only don't have the time to run all the time, but I'm also carrying a bit of fatigue that keeps my run paces tamped down a bit from where I'd be in a run only training block (and also the total intensity).

iow, triathlon tires me out in a very protective way! 

Matt

2015-04-09 11:18 AM

User image

Master
San Antone, Texas
Marathon is a much harder race on the body than an HIM. Those last 10k are just brutal.

And if your marathon time is 3-4 hours, your HIM time is likely lower than 6-7 hours. Closer to 5.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Marathon tougher than HIM ??? Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

The toughest one day enduance race on the planet - Tough Mudder Pages: 1 2

Started by maria40nc
Views: 10734 Posts: 42

2011-02-03 8:57 AM jmcconne

Vets - Toughest part of your marathon training?

Started by cobannero
Views: 1204 Posts: 17

2006-08-08 12:20 AM cobannero

And you thought your marathon was tough!

Started by zia_cyclist
Views: 771 Posts: 5

2006-05-03 9:21 AM vortmax

How tough was your toughest race? - terrain wise, any distance

Started by cobannero
Views: 1074 Posts: 9

2005-12-07 6:30 PM southwestmba

And you thought running a marathon was tough.

Started by Vaiza
Views: 842 Posts: 4

2005-09-26 5:50 PM TypeA Girl Pilot
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 30, 2011
comments : 0
How do you incorporate marathon training into a triathlon training plan?

date : October 13, 2009
I signed up for Ironman Frankfurt, next year July - and I am very excited about it. I originally planned to run my first Marathon in the middle of September, but am not sure if this is wise.
date : April 22, 2009
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
After the Marine Corps Marathon, I started developing left lower/lateral leg pain late in my marathon training and pushed through it.

date : January 10, 2005
author : ewkfit
My training was taking off. I had never felt stronger. I was making bigger strides than I ever had. I was stronger and faster than I had imagined myself ever being.
date : December 27, 2004
author : trilover
Interview with three-time Ironman World Champion Peter Reid

date : December 13, 2004
author : kanoelani
My first experience as a triathlete and my post-season plan.
date : November 14, 2004
author : czone
At one of my last swim sessions the week of my first Ironman, one of my training partners told me how she was envious..."your first Ironman is fun, you have no pressure and no expectations!"

date : October 24, 2004
author : BrianPBN
I can't say it enough, the feeling of treading water for that final minute, helicopters over head, Mike Riley's Iron-voice over the P.A. - just awesome. I cannot believe I'm here!