General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Do you do open water swims alone? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2015-04-17 11:44 AM

Subject: Do you do open water swims alone?
Just wondering if anybody does open water swims alone if a lifeguard is present. Or do you only swim with another person swimming with you?

2015-04-17 11:49 AM
in reply to: TriTampa2

Subject: RE: Do you do open water swims alone?

I've done it. Usually there are at least people on the beach when I do it, but I'm under no illusion that I'll be saved. 

I've done quite a few OWS with groups, including express 'beginner' groups that pair you up with a buddy pre-swim so it'll be safer. Honestly, after the first 10 minutes of swimming, it's nearly a wash - unless your buddy is lucky enough to be EXACTLY your swim speed and with equally good navigation, you'll have a least 30 seconds, if not closer to 2 minutes for someone to close that 100 yards gap between you and the next person, and that's assuming you could even call out for help.

I haven't come across a better solution ,but all in all, I've been completely underwhelmed by the actual safety of buddy swims in OWS - it's nearly useless for almost all the life-threatening events.

But to also put it in perspective, OWS is an extremely safe activity by the statistics. Every day, thousands and thousands of people go and do this, and there are vanishingly few fatalities, most of which probably couldn't have been avoided in a buddy swim anyway.

2015-04-17 11:52 AM
in reply to: #5108864

User image

Nope. I don't swim alone in open water.
2015-04-17 11:59 AM
in reply to: yazmaster

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

I do two or three OWS's all season long in a small lake and I am almost always by myself.  I got my nine year old son a little kayak and he paddled along with me in the latter part of the season but I am quite comfortable in the lake by myself.  I've swam in Hawaii many times by myself but always swim parallel to the shore.

Whether or not swimming alone is a good idea has a lot to do with your experience, your swimming ability, and the body of water you are in.  Always best to play it safe if you have any doubts.   

2015-04-17 11:59 AM
in reply to: miamiamy

User image

Brooklyn, New York
Well, normally there are some people out there, but as was said, I'm in no delusion that they'll save me.
How'd I end up swimming alone?
Well, When I started out, I was concerned and only swam when lifeguards were on duty, but in NY, that's a pretty small time frame and I often had to go earlier than their shifts. So, I would ask a friend or 2 if they'd come along to at least be there (God forbid" right?) - Well, 3rd time doing that, I had a friend and his wife and I told them, I'm going out to do a 1/2 mile or so loop. If I am feeling good, I'll stay out another jetty or two and loop back. Upon my return trip to shore I could see the entire cavalry of rescue swimmers, trucks, all-terrain 4 wheelers all over the beach making a wonderful scene. As I came out (wanting to do a swim-run transition mind you) I was reprimanded, (one aggressively put his hands into my chest as well).
After that scene I started swimming alone
2015-04-17 12:23 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
I do it all the time...BUT this is highly specific to the location and person doing it.

Still risky as well, because of the variables. Best to have someone with you.

In my case, I swim the outside of a swim zone marked with buoys. Parallel to shore, it's maybe 100m out.

2015-04-17 12:44 PM
in reply to: metafizx

User image

Expert
Ontario Canada
NO Never in an lake, I have in the river at the cottage which is around 60 M wide, but only with someone sitting on the dock watching and then I swim from our dock across to the neighbors dock and back repeating as necessary.
2015-04-17 1:18 PM

User image

Expert
Alexandria, MN
Yes, often I'll swim in open water by myself, but I take what precautions I can.

I make sure someone knows that I'm going out and what time, and that I'll get a hold of them when I'm done. And I stay close to shore, not that I plan on not drowning, but because the water skiers and boat traffic is either non-existent or moving slow enough that they'll see me. And of course you can hear their engines through the water so when I do I just pop my head up and make sure they know I'm there.

But all of this is because I'm super comfortable in the water and I've made the choice to swim alone.
2015-04-17 1:18 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

Firstly- I don't live anywhere near open water, so I only get to OWS when I'm travelling or on vacation somewhere.  When I have the opportuntiy- I jump at the chance!  OWS vs swimming in a pool to me, is like the difference between running outside and running on a treadmill.   (for that matter, rough ocean swimming... I guess is like rugged trail running? )

anyway- to answer the question.  Yes.  I OWS alone (although not that often).

Swimming with a group is better, because at the end of the swim, they'll notice you're missing, so they can search for your dead body.

Short of having a skilled lifeguard/rescuer, walk along the beach and watch you swim- I'm trying to imagine what a fellow swimmer would be able to do for you if you had a medical emergency out there?  You'd more likely both end up drowning.

If there is a lifeguard at the beach, I will always let them know what I'm doing, where I'm going, and when I intend to be back.

I was at a family resort a couple years ago, which had a dock on a nice clean lake in the Pocono's (Pennsylvania).  The lifeguard told me I wasn't allowed to swim outside the ropes.  I had as friendly a conversation with him as I could, explaining that it was a public lake, swimming was allowed, I was an experienced and strong swimmer.... and was going for a swim.  My dad followed me in a kayak to make the lifeguard happy.  Plus- my dad enjoyed the kayak.

I think that a product like this is a good idea:

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/12/exclusive-branded-openwater.html

For visibility as well as an emergency flotation device.  Storage as well.

Edited by morey000 2015-04-17 1:24 PM
2015-04-17 1:25 PM
in reply to: morey000

User image

Expert
Oklahoma
Yes I do about 99% of my ows alone. From June to Sept I try and get in one ows a week. If it is cool enough I wear a wetsuit and if its to hot for a wetsuit I attach a boat bumper to my ankle with a surfers leash.
2015-04-17 1:30 PM
in reply to: morey000

New user
Originally posted by morey000

Swimming with a group is better, because at the end of the swim, they'll notice you're missing, so they can search for your dead body.

This is the key benefit to swimming with someone. They will improve the chances of your body getting recovered.

I do my open water swims both alone and with people, but I have no illusions that they will be able to save me. The people I've swam with have never been my speed, so I am either way ahead or way behind. In addition, I'm primarily doing my workout, and not watching them. I also swim at around 100-200m of shore, so we're at least a 4 minute tow from shore. I do keep an eye on my wife when we swim together, but since her big problem is getting scared by fish or weeds, my main benefit to her is calming her down.

2015-04-17 1:57 PM
in reply to: bufordt

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas

I don't have any issues swimming alone, but that's because I am a decent swimmer and very comfortable in the water.

It really depends on your comfort level with your swim abilities and keeping your mind in check.  If you are a new swimmer or new to OWS, then you should swim with others.  

A couple years ago, my wife and her Danskin triathlon training group were doing an OWS at a local lake.  Clear sky, no wind, flat lake, etc.  There is a 500m triangular course marked with nice buoys.  I was almost back in and my wife's group was just past the far turn when the weather dramatically changed (as it can do during hot Texas afternoons) - clouds, wind, rain and the lake started rocking.  I headed back out to check on the wife and she said she would be fine.  One of the other ladies was really freaking out.  I swam over to her, but not close enough that she could grab on; told her to breathe on the side away from crashing waves; and we slowly worked our way back to the beach.  She completely panicked when the situation changed and I am not sure how it would have ended if she was swimming alone (she was a calm, yet slow swimmer otherwise). 

2015-04-17 2:15 PM

I doubt I would go out without a lifeguard. I'm just thinking there are times when I want to go for an OWS swim but friends are not available but there will be a lifeguard present. I feel like I would be reasonably safe. I normally want to swim as close as possible and parallel to shore.
2015-04-17 2:48 PM

User image

Cypress, Texas

I always make sure I have a spotter when I am swimming in open water.  I swim parallel to the shore and my spotter can walk along and keep me in sight.  

I wish I had a kayak (or a canoe or row boat) to paddle along with me.  I think that would be ideal.  As a scouter I am very familiar with the BSA Safe Swim Plan and was a certified BSA lifeguard in my youth.  I know the rules to safe swimming and follow them as best as I can.  It just isn't worth it to me to do a swim if I don't put safety first.  I have never panicked in the water, never struggle to stay a float, never been run over by a boat, have never had a leg crap up in the water etc., but we all know Murphy's law so I always  use precautions.

2015-04-17 2:48 PM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

Definitely. I have no problem with it.

BUT... I do it in a small lake where only electric motors are allowed. I wear my wetsuit every time. Risky? I guess so, by some people's standards. I don't consider it any more risky (in fact I consider it a lot LESS risky) than riding my bike on busy roads, which I also don't have a lot of problems with.

2015-04-17 3:16 PM
in reply to: briderdt

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by briderdt

Definitely. I have no problem with it.

BUT... I do it in a small lake where only electric motors are allowed. I wear my wetsuit every time. Risky? I guess so, by some people's standards. I don't consider it any more risky (in fact I consider it a lot LESS risky) than riding my bike on busy roads, which I also don't have a lot of problems with.

No doubt.  Riding on some of the county roads around here is way more hazardous.

2015-04-17 4:04 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Usually alone.  Rarely with a lifeguard present.  Have only done a very few with another swimmer (other than hitting the water at the same time, but not "together"), except in a race.

Risky? Yep.  Life's about understanding and managing risk, IMO.  The hard part is getting both of those right, as it's sometimes hard to define the risk and almost always hard to know how to manage it for you, at that time (tolerable risk levels change).

Matt

2015-04-17 5:33 PM

User image

I do almost all my OWS alone. There are a fair number of boats on the water but I pull a float buoy. There is risk but biking is probably just as risky.
2015-04-17 5:52 PM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

Add me to the chorus of "yes'" and Yaz and others have pretty well covered it. What you get from swimming with others is not safety from drowning, but rather visibility. A group swimming together is a little more visible to boaters than if you are swimming alone. I do use a ISHOF "SafeSwimmer" when swimming alone, again, not to keep me from drowning but rather to simply make me more visible. Well, that and to carry my garmin, because you know, if you don't have a .FIT file, it didn't really happen.

2015-04-17 5:55 PM
in reply to: b2run

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

Originally posted by b2run I do almost all my OWS alone. There are a fair number of boats on the water but I pull a float buoy. There is risk but biking is definitely more risky.

Fixed that. In my 25 years of triathlon I have been hit by a car 3 times on the bike, and once on the run. I have never been hit by a boat (or car) while swimming.

2015-04-17 6:05 PM
in reply to: TankBoy

User image

All this thread has served to do is make me more scared of riding my bike on the roads.

2015-04-17 6:15 PM
in reply to: jennifer_runs

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

Originally posted by jennifer_runs All this thread has served to do is make me more scared of riding my bike on the roads.

ha-ha - you should start a thread titled "Do you ever bike alone?"

2015-04-17 6:48 PM
in reply to: TankBoy

User image

Originally posted by TankBoy

Originally posted by jennifer_runs All this thread has served to do is make me more scared of riding my bike on the roads.

ha-ha - you should start a thread titled "Do you ever bike alone?"

That doesn't help. Riding in traffic scares me, although I do bike-commute (very conservatively). It's long rides on open roads that scare me. I like my trainer in my garage. And the pool....
2015-04-17 7:18 PM
in reply to: bufordt

Master
, California

Originally posted by bufordt

This is the key benefit to swimming with someone. They will improve the chances of your body getting recovered. I do my open water swims both alone and with people, but I have no illusions that they will be able to save me. The people I've swam with have never been my speed, so I am either way ahead or way behind. In addition, I'm primarily doing my workout, and not watching them. I also swim at around 100-200m of shore, so we're at least a 4 minute tow from shore. I do keep an eye on my wife when we swim together, but since her big problem is getting scared by fish or weeds, my main benefit to her is calming her down.

I disagree with most of these comments, mainly because I've been a lifeguard, and I surf, and I've seen enough saves.  Someone in trouble will often struggle long enough for help to get there.  Even once they go under, if someone saw them panic, they could still be saved.  And not every problem is a sudden heart attack.  It could be someone hit by a boat, a shark, a jellyfish, etc...

I just find it odd how many triathletes discount this while on the other hand, surfers know the benefit.

If you get into distress bad enough that you can't make it to shore and you're alone, your chance of survival is roughly zero.  If you're comfortable, then more power to you.  But claiming that an extra swimmer is useless is ridiculous.

2015-04-17 7:24 PM
in reply to: spudone

User image

Originally posted by spudone

Originally posted by bufordt

This is the key benefit to swimming with someone. They will improve the chances of your body getting recovered. I do my open water swims both alone and with people, but I have no illusions that they will be able to save me. The people I've swam with have never been my speed, so I am either way ahead or way behind. In addition, I'm primarily doing my workout, and not watching them. I also swim at around 100-200m of shore, so we're at least a 4 minute tow from shore. I do keep an eye on my wife when we swim together, but since her big problem is getting scared by fish or weeds, my main benefit to her is calming her down.

I disagree with most of these comments, mainly because I've been a lifeguard, and I surf, and I've seen enough saves.  Someone in trouble will often struggle long enough for help to get there.  Even once they go under, if someone saw them panic, they could still be saved.  And not every problem is a sudden heart attack.  It could be someone hit by a boat, a shark, a jellyfish, etc...

I just find it odd how many triathletes discount this while on the other hand, surfers know the benefit.

If you get into distress bad enough that you can't make it to shore and you're alone, your chance of survival is roughly zero.  If you're comfortable, then more power to you.  But claiming that an extra swimmer is useless is ridiculous.

Thanks for this.

I suspect many triathletes discount the value of swimming with a buddy or near a lifeguard because it's just less convenient to train that way. So they justify it by saying "it's not that much safer."
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Do you do open water swims alone? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Open water swimming in cold waters...

Started by lkc01234
Views: 2131 Posts: 9

2010-05-03 11:07 PM kingofbanff

Anyone doing/done the Santa Rosa Island Tri or Destin Crab Trap Tri

Started by pilotzs
Views: 1661 Posts: 5

2013-05-28 5:00 PM tacetman

Open Water Swim: Alone?

Started by donhayes1191
Views: 6829 Posts: 19

2008-06-17 11:19 PM griepsma

Water Temperature - Open water swim

Started by tmueller
Views: 15491 Posts: 13

2008-02-17 10:12 AM tmueller

Doing it alone Pages: 1 2

Started by Malgal
Views: 3221 Posts: 44

2005-01-31 6:17 PM Ozmokis
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : April 28, 2011
author : fivecents
comments : 5
What my first sprint distance triathlon taught me about myself.
date : October 29, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
Triathlon swim training discussions on the pull, open water swimming all year, winter swim focus, bilateral breathing during a race and Ironman swim training in 6 weeks.

date : August 17, 2007
author : scoli121
comments : 6
I quickly browsed an article in Men's Health that talked about doing a triathlon, and how it wasn't really that hard. With a "tsk!" I quickly turned the page while thinking, "Yeah, right!"
date : September 3, 2006
author : TriDDS
comments : 1
Stroke after stroke, my pace was pulling me out into the middle of the lake quickly. The cover seemed to be getting thicker. But still in the distance, the little boathouse was my lighthouse.

date : June 6, 2006
author : marmadaddy
The DVD assumes little-to-no experience with competitive swimming and starts off in the pool citing the need to build confidence in a controlled environment.