General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running Technique Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-06-21 7:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Running Technique
Everyone including e concentrate on a proper swimming technique, but what about a proper running technique.

I found this great video that explains legs movement. I noticed that when I run, I do not really lift my foot high in the back. It probably does not proper me forward as much as it should. Do you pay attention to your running technique?

http://www.nyrr.org/youth-and-schools/running-start/coaching-videos...

2015-06-21 8:00 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

New user
Austin, Texas
Subject: RE: Running Technique

This is the kind of video I wish I watched 10 years ago. I'm the same way, I don't pick my feet up enough and it ends up being more like a shuffle. Some very good points in here Thanks for sharing

Edited by trijamie 2015-06-21 8:04 PM
2015-06-21 10:51 PM
in reply to: slonce5

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Every step...to an extent.

One thing I have been discovering lately is that many people do not extend well, or know how to extend their hips well in running, and this is really where a lot of power is transferred forward. Too many people either don't fully extend or collapse at the hips and run very inefficiently.
2015-06-22 12:58 AM
in reply to: slonce5

User image

What a great post. As a 'new runner' I found these videos very informative.
2015-06-22 4:19 AM
in reply to: bcagle25

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
Originally posted by bcagle25Every step...to an extent.One thing I have been discovering lately is that many people do not extend well, or know how to extend their hips well in running, and this is really where a lot of power is transferred forward. Too many people either don't fully extend or collapse at the hips and run very inefficiently.
I agree with Ben. Frequently this appears to have a connection to limited hip mobility as a result of more time sitting than our bodies like. In those cases, the right strength training program that emphasizes improving active hip extension can usually provide the potential to correct it and run faster.
2015-06-22 6:18 AM
in reply to: trijamie

User image

Veteran
I'm glad you like it. It is better late than never.

2015-06-22 6:19 AM
in reply to: bcagle25

User image

Veteran
Originally posted by bcagle25

Every step...to an extent.

One thing I have been discovering lately is that many people do not extend well, or know how to extend their hips well in running, and this is really where a lot of power is transferred forward. Too many people either don't fully extend or collapse at the hips and run very inefficiently.

But how do you extend your hip? I'm not sure If I get it fully.
2015-06-22 8:08 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by slonce5
Originally posted by bcagle25 Every step...to an extent. One thing I have been discovering lately is that many people do not extend well, or know how to extend their hips well in running, and this is really where a lot of power is transferred forward. Too many people either don't fully extend or collapse at the hips and run very inefficiently.
But how do you extend your hip? I'm not sure If I get it fully.

"Extension" just refers to the direction the femur moves in the hip joint - backwards.  Flexion is when it moves forward.

If a person has inadequate range of motion in their hips (most commonly tight hip flexor muscles like the psoas from too much time sitting) and weak, or under-active hip extensors  (mostly gluteus maximus), they will be limited in their stride length and stride rate they can achieve.  Frequently, one of the things that results is compensation by other body parts, such as collapsing forward at the hips (loss of energy = slower running), like Ben mentioned, or extending the spine (lower back pain!).

Edited by TriMyBest 2015-06-22 8:10 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running Technique Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Running technique

Started by Opus
Views: 874 Posts: 12

2005-07-07 10:07 PM Steve-

Proper running technique

Started by sharonnagy5
Views: 937 Posts: 12

2005-04-20 11:27 AM sharonnagy5

Jack Daniels: "Should I Change my Running Technique?" Pages: 1 2

Started by the bear
Views: 2222 Posts: 38

2004-12-10 3:34 PM scuba-punk

Running techniques/coaching approaches

Started by mjr66
Views: 759 Posts: 5

2004-11-26 1:42 AM Steve-

Suggestions for bike & run technique reading?

Started by green
Views: 1031 Posts: 7

2004-02-25 5:32 PM Machiavelo
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 4, 2009
author : EnduranceFilms
comments : 1
Learn essential triathlon transition techniques for various ability levels. Includes wetsuit removal and several bike mounting techniques.

date : April 19, 2009
author : EnduranceFilms
comments : 15
Learn what the proper pedaling technique looks like and how to become a more efficient and economical cyclist.
date : May 19, 2008
author : EnduRight
Next time you reach for your pull buoy, think again. By creating dependency on a buoy, the athlete never learns how to correctly create a more efficient freestyle stroke through better body position.

date : April 11, 2007
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Discussion on the walk/run technique, run injury and cadence, barefoot running, staying aero on long climbs and HIM preparation
date : January 29, 2006
author : Ingrid Loos
Six months of running focus have paid off in unexpected ways. My training has focused on completing a half-iron distance which is still a few months away.

date : October 30, 2005
author : Rich Strauss
By focusing on your limiters during the off-season you can accrue your highest rate of return for training time invested and set yourself up well for next season.
date : July 31, 2005
author : smeeko
No matter what technique you use, running still remains a sport that requires “pain and suffering.” Technique-only training will not make you a fast runner if you don’t practice to be one.

date : July 4, 2005
author : KenMierke
Despite what most runners and their coaches believe, technique plays an enormous role in sustained fast running.