General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Prevalence of PED's in AG'rs Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2015-07-13 2:24 PM
in reply to: marcag

nashville, Tennessee
Subject: RE: Prevalence of PED's in AG'rs
A lot of us say we can't understand why someone would juice because "its just a hobby", or "its not like you're getting anything monetary reward", or "you're only competing against yourself so why does it matter if you beat somebody else, or "its just for fun." But I can see where someone could get caught up in the competition and want to use whatever means. For example me personally...When I first started doing tris, it was all about finishing. Family and friends thought it was amazing that I was doing triathlons. My wife would act like she was so proud that I was able to do a triathlon. Then some friends got into it and there was some friendly competition. My friends were not quite on my level but I knew that they just wanted to beat me so bad. I started noticing that my wife seemed to take a little pride in the fact that I was getting fairly good at it and that I was the best among my friends. Maybe it was just in my head, but that's what it seemed like. I honestly feel like if I were to start losing to people we knew she would be a little disappointed in me. In other words, just finishing races is not enough anymore. And if you are part of a group of friends that are big into triathlons, and you are the slowest one, it probably hurts your ego a little. Am I wrong? I think ego is becoming a big part of the sport now, or maybe it always has been.
I guess what I'm saying is for a lot of people its more than just fun, and more than just competing against yourself. And when you're immersed in the world of triathlon, you see those guys that are always at the top and winning races, and you sort of look up to them and have a sense of admiration for them. And you think, "I wanna know what that's like to be the top dog. Once again, at this point,I personally have no desire to use PED's but I can honestly say this, if I knew without a doubt, that all the guys I knew personally that were faster than me were using something, I would want to use it too, or either I would get out of the game. Not sure what that says about me but its just the truth.

2015-07-13 2:35 PM
in reply to: 3mar

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, South Carolina
Originally posted by 3mar

To say that it's not worth it for AGers and being understandable for pros based on money is kind of ludicrous. I'm sure the average AGer makes more money than a lot of the pros. We're not talking NFL money here. There are a very small handful that make bank, but it's really really rare, so the money thing doesn't cut it for me. Jesse Thomas (I think that's his name...the dude who wears the aviators) had an article about what pros actually make about 5-6 months ago in Triathlete magazine. A lot of them are in the 100-200 range, which, let's face it, to be able to afford this hobby, especially if you have kids, I can't imagine being less than 6 figures, so realistically, if money is the object, than not just AG nationals, or even local races...none of it means anything according to some of the posters here.

That being said, just from the competitive point of view, I just don't get it. This is a competition, the whole point is to see if you can do what the other guy cant. THAT'S THE WHOLE POINT. So if you're cheating (PEDs, drafting, cutting turns, whatever) I just don't get it. You didn't win. You came in first, but you didn't win. The place you come across the finish doesn't mean you're a better athlete if you cheat, so what's the point? To make people THINK you won? Just go buy a trophy, put it on your mantle and tell people you won a race, they'll never know, and it means the same thing. I'm the guy that calls out all the drafters in non-draft legal races though, and I've said that same thing to them, why bother racing, just go buy a trophy. One guy was so close to a girls back tire, I yelled, "dude, if you're going to ride that close, at least buy her dinner first." I thought that was clever...and he backed off.

Agree with you 100% on the cheating and drafting. I was in a race and saw three guys in a pack drafting the entire bike ride. Not in my age group but still pissed me off. I pointed it out the race official coming into transition but my word against their word. Didn't see any penalties on the race results so they got away with it.
When I first started racing, I missed a swim buoy so I went back during the swim and corrected my mistake. Cost me some time. Someone told me I should have kept going and no one would know. I told him "I would know".

That is how I was raised my father.
2015-07-13 2:39 PM
in reply to: GoFaster

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, South Carolina
Originally posted by GoFaster

Originally posted by GODAWGS
Originally posted by GMAN 19030 http://www.irishtriathlon.com/index.php/2014/01/ironman-triathlon-d... If 1 in 7 admit it (even anonymously) my guess is the true number is more like 1 in 5. My guess is the percentage goes up the closer to the top of the AG. I'd WAG that 1/3 of the top 20 in the M30-54 AG's are cheating with PEDS.
I would guess the percentage would be lower in the US. The survey was done in Germany where PEDs are more available and accepted. I think the percentage is higher in Germany because they believe others are doing it and want a level playing field. I know some top guys in local races that are in the top five percent and don't believe they do any PEDs based on knowing them. But who knows what goes on behind closed doors. I do know the guys have been endurance athletes for years and put in long hours of training and I put more stock into that for their success.

No idea why you think the US, or N.America would be different.  Just look at the prevalence of doping at the local high school level, and as the OP stated the number of people who dope for appearance at any given gym.

As I said, it was a guess. Why not post a poll on the BT site?
2015-07-13 2:45 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

Originally posted by mchadcota2 A lot of us say we can't understand why someone would juice because "its just a hobby", or "its not like you're getting anything monetary reward", or "you're only competing against yourself so why does it matter if you beat somebody else, or "its just for fun." But I can see where someone could get caught up in the competition and want to use whatever means. For example me personally...When I first started doing tris, it was all about finishing. Family and friends thought it was amazing that I was doing triathlons. My wife would act like she was so proud that I was able to do a triathlon. Then some friends got into it and there was some friendly competition. My friends were not quite on my level but I knew that they just wanted to beat me so bad. I started noticing that my wife seemed to take a little pride in the fact that I was getting fairly good at it and that I was the best among my friends. Maybe it was just in my head, but that's what it seemed like. I honestly feel like if I were to start losing to people we knew she would be a little disappointed in me. In other words, just finishing races is not enough anymore. And if you are part of a group of friends that are big into triathlons, and you are the slowest one, it probably hurts your ego a little. Am I wrong? I think ego is becoming a big part of the sport now, or maybe it always has been. I guess what I'm saying is for a lot of people its more than just fun, and more than just competing against yourself. And when you're immersed in the world of triathlon, you see those guys that are always at the top and winning races, and you sort of look up to them and have a sense of admiration for them. And you think, "I wanna know what that's like to be the top dog. Once again, at this point,I personally have no desire to use PED's but I can honestly say this, if I knew without a doubt, that all the guys I knew personally that were faster than me were using something, I would want to use it too, or either I would get out of the game. Not sure what that says about me but its just the truth.

Your Honor, the Prosecution rests.

Edited by Left Brain 2015-07-13 2:49 PM
2015-07-13 2:54 PM
in reply to: mchadcota2

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by mchadcota2

A lot of us say we can't understand why someone would juice because "its just a hobby", or "its not like you're getting anything monetary reward", or "you're only competing against yourself so why does it matter if you beat somebody else, or "its just for fun." But I can see where someone could get caught up in the competition and want to use whatever means. For example me personally...When I first started doing tris, it was all about finishing. Family and friends thought it was amazing that I was doing triathlons. My wife would act like she was so proud that I was able to do a triathlon. Then some friends got into it and there was some friendly competition. My friends were not quite on my level but I knew that they just wanted to beat me so bad. I started noticing that my wife seemed to take a little pride in the fact that I was getting fairly good at it and that I was the best among my friends. Maybe it was just in my head, but that's what it seemed like. I honestly feel like if I were to start losing to people we knew she would be a little disappointed in me. In other words, just finishing races is not enough anymore. And if you are part of a group of friends that are big into triathlons, and you are the slowest one, it probably hurts your ego a little. Am I wrong? I think ego is becoming a big part of the sport now, or maybe it always has been.
I guess what I'm saying is for a lot of people its more than just fun, and more than just competing against yourself. And when you're immersed in the world of triathlon, you see those guys that are always at the top and winning races, and you sort of look up to them and have a sense of admiration for them. And you think, "I wanna know what that's like to be the top dog. Once again, at this point,I personally have no desire to use PED's but I can honestly say this, if I knew without a doubt, that all the guys I knew personally that were faster than me were using something, I would want to use it too, or either I would get out of the game. Not sure what that says about me but its just the truth.

This would presume that the only option is PEDs. There are others; intervals, tempos, T I T S, work you know that other stuff. If that doesn't do it then oh well, that's all you got. Using PEDs isn't going to change that.
2015-07-13 3:02 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley

While I appreciate the honesty, I just don't see the point. I would never get that "caught up in the competition and want to use whatever means".

How can you take any pride in your accomplishments if you know you cheated? I know my wife would be far prouder of me for trying my best, even if that meant finishing dead last, than winning every race knowing I cheated.

My grandfather taught me something a long time ago that I have lived by ever since: "The only thing you have absolute control over is your integrity. You can sell it or you can give it away, but no one can ever take it from you."

2015-07-13 3:04 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
I finished 6th overall in my tri yesterday. I'm convinced first through fifth are using PED's
2015-07-13 3:05 PM

User image

Exton, PA

I finish a lot of races in 4th - 6th position. From what I've heard/seen I have to assume that some of the guys that beat me are juicing. Therefore keeping me off the podium. It still does not make me want to dope to beat them.

2015-07-13 3:06 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by mike761
Originally posted by mchadcota2 A lot of us say we can't understand why someone would juice because "its just a hobby", or "its not like you're getting anything monetary reward", or "you're only competing against yourself so why does it matter if you beat somebody else, or "its just for fun." But I can see where someone could get caught up in the competition and want to use whatever means. For example me personally...When I first started doing tris, it was all about finishing. Family and friends thought it was amazing that I was doing triathlons. My wife would act like she was so proud that I was able to do a triathlon. Then some friends got into it and there was some friendly competition. My friends were not quite on my level but I knew that they just wanted to beat me so bad. I started noticing that my wife seemed to take a little pride in the fact that I was getting fairly good at it and that I was the best among my friends. Maybe it was just in my head, but that's what it seemed like. I honestly feel like if I were to start losing to people we knew she would be a little disappointed in me. In other words, just finishing races is not enough anymore. And if you are part of a group of friends that are big into triathlons, and you are the slowest one, it probably hurts your ego a little. Am I wrong? I think ego is becoming a big part of the sport now, or maybe it always has been. I guess what I'm saying is for a lot of people its more than just fun, and more than just competing against yourself. And when you're immersed in the world of triathlon, you see those guys that are always at the top and winning races, and you sort of look up to them and have a sense of admiration for them. And you think, "I wanna know what that's like to be the top dog. Once again, at this point,I personally have no desire to use PED's but I can honestly say this, if I knew without a doubt, that all the guys I knew personally that were faster than me were using something, I would want to use it too, or either I would get out of the game. Not sure what that says about me but its just the truth.
I finish a lot of races in 4th - 6th position. From what I've heard/seen I have to assume that some of the guys that beat me are juicing. Therefore keeping me off the podium. It still does not make me want to dope to beat them.

No big deal, your wife probably doesn't like you that much already.

Edited by Left Brain 2015-07-13 3:07 PM
2015-07-13 3:08 PM
in reply to: reecealan

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by reecealan

I finished 6th overall in my tri yesterday. I'm convinced first through fifth are using PED's

Yep...I'm gonna start using that too. I mean, look at the numbers. I finish in the top 10-20% of all my races and the poll shows that as many as 10-20% of triathletes use PEDs. I must be the first place finisher every time!!!
2015-07-13 3:18 PM
in reply to: Stuartap

nashville, Tennessee
Originally posted by Stuartap

While I appreciate the honesty, I just don't see the point. I would never get that "caught up in the competition and want to use whatever means".

How can you take any pride in your accomplishments if you know you cheated? I know my wife would be far prouder of me for trying my best, even if that meant finishing dead last, than winning every race knowing I cheated.

My grandfather taught me something a long time ago that I have lived by ever since: "The only thing you have absolute control over is your integrity. You can sell it or you can give it away, but no one can ever take it from you."

Are you saying Lance Armstrong couldn't take pride in his accomplishments? If you are on a level playing field and you outwork and come out on top, of course I would take pride in that. Would I take pride if I was juicing and beating a bunch of guys that were not? Of course not. I would absolutely feel worthless. If you are a competitive person, and this is the sport you love, and all the other guys are juicing, assuming you feel that the health risks are minimal, how could you not? Of course the other hypothetical is that even though they are all juicing, it is not widely known that they are juicing, so your wife, friends, whoever, as far as they know, you just suck compared to these other guys. Now if its all out in the open its a different story.

2015-07-13 3:20 PM

User image

Pro

While I appreciate the honesty, I just don't see the point. I would never get that "caught up in the competition and want to use whatever means". How can you take any pride in your accomplishments if you know you cheated? I know my wife would be far prouder of me for trying my best, even if that meant finishing dead last, than winning every race knowing I cheated. My grandfather taught me something a long time ago that I have lived by ever since: "The only thing you have absolute control over is your integrity. You can sell it or you can give it away, but no one can ever take it from you." Are you saying Lance Armstrong couldn't take pride in his accomplishments? If you are on a level playing field and you outwork and come out on top, of course I would take pride in that. Would I take pride if I was juicing and beating a bunch of guys that were not? Of course not. I would absolutely feel worthless. If you are a competitive person, and this is the sport you love, and all the other guys are juicing, assuming you feel that the health risks are minimal, how could you not? Of course the other hypothetical is that even though they are all juicing, it is not widely known that they are juicing, so your wife, friends, whoever, as far as they know, you just suck compared to these other guys. Now if its all out in the open its a different story.

Dude......lemme have that shovel for a minute....take a break.

2015-07-13 3:30 PM

User image

New user
Austin, Texas

"The only thing you have absolute control over is your integrity. You can sell it or you can give it away, but no one can ever take it from you."

Excellent!

Edited by trijamie 2015-07-13 3:31 PM
2015-07-13 3:33 PM
in reply to: mike761

nashville, Tennessee
Originally posted by mike761

But that is probably because you still see a possibility of catching them. Am i wrong? Would you train your butt off everyday if you knew it would be almost impossible to catch them without using the same substances.

2015-07-13 3:38 PM

nashville, Tennessee
C'mon guys help me out. I can't be the only one on here with a lack of integrity.
2015-07-13 3:48 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by mchadcota2 C'mon guys help me out. I can't be the only one on here with a lack of integrity.

Naw....but you might be the only one who cares what his wife thinks about his result. LMAO

Edited by Left Brain 2015-07-13 3:49 PM

2015-07-13 4:07 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

nashville, Tennessee
Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by mchadcota2 C'mon guys help me out. I can't be the only one on here with a lack of integrity.

Naw....but you might be the only one who cares what his wife thinks about his result. LMAO

That's the only thing that keeps me married man! If I don't perform well, she'll divorce me.
2015-07-13 4:56 PM

User image

Pro

That's the only thing that keeps me married man! If I don't perform well, she'll divorce me.

Well then, ahem,  PED's may in fact be your best option as you age.

Edited by Left Brain 2015-07-13 4:57 PM
2015-07-13 5:28 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

If performance in his marriage is the issue, Cialis is not a banned PED.

Edited by marcag 2015-07-13 5:29 PM
2015-07-13 5:46 PM

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by marcag

But how would it affect the swim? I mean, you'd be able to track a straight line quicker, but what about the drag?
2015-07-13 5:54 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by marcag

LOL  Who knew??

2015-07-13 6:02 PM
in reply to: #5128374

nashville, Tennessee
I think you guys may be onto something. All this time she said my performance needs to improve, I thought she was referring to racing. Well damn
2015-07-13 7:04 PM
in reply to: GODAWGS

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

Originally posted by GODAWGS
Originally posted by GMAN 19030 http://www.irishtriathlon.com/index.php/2014/01/ironman-triathlon-d... If 1 in 7 admit it (even anonymously) my guess is the true number is more like 1 in 5. My guess is the percentage goes up the closer to the top of the AG. I'd WAG that 1/3 of the top 20 in the M30-54 AG's are cheating with PEDS.
I would guess the percentage would be lower in the US. The survey was done in Germany where PEDs are more available and accepted. I think the percentage is higher in Germany because they believe others are doing it and want a level playing field. I know some top guys in local races that are in the top five percent and don't believe they do any PEDs based on knowing them. But who knows what goes on behind closed doors. I do know the guys have been endurance athletes for years and put in long hours of training and I put more stock into that for their success.

No way. The "Low T" phenomenon in the USA undoubtedly makes the U.S. the worst offenders. The testosterone doping is a much worse problem amongst the AG ranks than stuff like EPO, HGH, or steroids. 

2015-07-13 8:15 PM

User image

I always find doping threads interesting in that they usually get tons of traffic and posts.  But if doping is as prevalent as we all think, wouldn't it be fair to say that there are just as many dopers (by percentage) among the triathlon forums (BT and ST) as there are in a general race field?  Especially when you consider that a forum member fits the profile of someone trying to maximize their performance?

Yet when these threads progress, everyone is anti doping...right?  Do the dopers avoid these threads completely, or are a given % of posters just flat out lying about their stance on doping?

I don't dope.  It's pretty easy for me to type that on my keyboard...especially since it doesn't require a drug test to click "submit."  Should you believe me, or for every X number of forum members who post something similar, there is always one poster who is flat out lying?  Is that person me?

Just some food for thought.

2015-07-13 8:20 PM
in reply to: Dutchcrush

User image

Originally posted by Dutchcrush

The number of people posting pictures of their Garman watch showing their daily work out probably coincides with the number of people using PED's.

Really? I highly doubt that my friends who post runs at 11:00/mile paces are using PEDs.

Then again, you never know.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Prevalence of PED's in AG'rs Rss Feed  

of 5

RELATED POSTS

car vs ped (me) Pages: 1 2

Started by rspencer
Views: 3111 Posts: 48

2008-05-31 5:44 PM nxm165