Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2015-07-13 8:21 PM
in reply to: GMAN 19030

User image

Subject: RE: Prevalence of PED's in AG'rs
Originally posted by GMAN 19030

Originally posted by GODAWGS
Originally posted by GMAN 19030 http://www.irishtriathlon.com/index.php/2014/01/ironman-triathlon-d... If 1 in 7 admit it (even anonymously) my guess is the true number is more like 1 in 5. My guess is the percentage goes up the closer to the top of the AG. I'd WAG that 1/3 of the top 20 in the M30-54 AG's are cheating with PEDS.
I would guess the percentage would be lower in the US. The survey was done in Germany where PEDs are more available and accepted. I think the percentage is higher in Germany because they believe others are doing it and want a level playing field. I know some top guys in local races that are in the top five percent and don't believe they do any PEDs based on knowing them. But who knows what goes on behind closed doors. I do know the guys have been endurance athletes for years and put in long hours of training and I put more stock into that for their success.

No way. The "Low T" phenomenon in the USA undoubtedly makes the U.S. the worst offenders. The testosterone doping is a much worse problem amongst the AG ranks than stuff like EPO, HGH, or steroids. 

And then there's the "adrenal fatigue" and over-diagnosis of asthma.

2015-07-13 8:28 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Originally posted by Jason N

I always find doping threads interesting in that they usually get tons of traffic and posts.  But if doping is as prevalent as we all think, wouldn't it be fair to say that there are just as many dopers (by percentage) among the triathlon forums (BT and ST) as there are in a general race field?  Especially when you consider that a forum member fits the profile of someone trying to maximize their performance?

Yet when these threads progress, everyone is anti doping...right?  Do the dopers avoid these threads completely, or are a given % of posters just flat out lying about their stance on doping?

I don't dope.  It's pretty easy for me to type that on my keyboard...especially since it doesn't require a drug test to click "submit."  Should you believe me, or for every X number of forum members who post something similar, there is always one poster who is flat out lying?  Is that person me?

Just some food for thought.

Interesting question Jason. First I would have to question the premise. Do the top 5% or 10% of AG finishers in top races actually frequent this site? Are they regular contributors? Or, if their ego drives them to take PEDs, does that preclude them from participating with mere mortals who would frequent a site called BEGINNER Triathlete?

Don't know the answer but let's assume your premise is correct. My sense is they would either not participate in this question. Nothing to support that, just a hunch.

I have no idea if you are that person but I have pretty convincing evidence that I am not. All you would need to do is look at my race time, or even training times, to figure that out.
2015-07-13 9:29 PM
in reply to: Stuartap

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by Stuartap

I always find doping threads interesting in that they usually get tons of traffic and posts.  But if doping is as prevalent as we all think, wouldn't it be fair to say that there are just as many dopers (by percentage) among the triathlon forums (BT and ST) as there are in a general race field?  Especially when you consider that a forum member fits the profile of someone trying to maximize their performance?

Yet when these threads progress, everyone is anti doping...right?  Do the dopers avoid these threads completely, or are a given % of posters just flat out lying about their stance on doping?

I don't dope.  It's pretty easy for me to type that on my keyboard...especially since it doesn't require a drug test to click "submit."  Should you believe me, or for every X number of forum members who post something similar, there is always one poster who is flat out lying?  Is that person me?

Interesting question Jason. First I would have to question the premise. Do the top 5% or 10% of AG finishers in top races actually frequent this site? Are they regular contributors? Or, if their ego drives them to take PEDs, does that preclude them from participating with mere mortals who would frequent a site called BEGINNER Triathlete? Don't know the answer but let's assume your premise is correct. My sense is they would either not participate in this question. Nothing to support that, just a hunch. I have no idea if you are that person but I have pretty convincing evidence that I am not. All you would need to do is look at my race time, or even training times, to figure that out.

we do in fact frequent this site, and some of us were in fact beginners once.

2015-07-13 9:43 PM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

I remember way back in 2009-10 when I first joined BT and doping threads came up.  It was funny because the most common response was something along the lines of "triathletes have too much pride in their hard work to dope."  Almost insinuating that triathletes are somehow better people and have higher morals when it comes to doping.  People actually believed it for a long time until triathletes started getting popped.  First in the pro ranks...then in the AG ranks.  

I do believe there is a doping problem in the AG ranks of all racing.  Nobody will ever admit to it unless they are caught, so I take anything anyone says about doping with a huge grain of salt.  As should you with my words.  

I've come to terms that drug testing is the only way to combat doping...but it's just not feasible for most races that are just trying to make a few bucks as it is.  So I don't worry too much about it since my pay check doesn't depend on my race results.

2015-07-13 10:04 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Pro

I remember way back in 2009-10 when I first joined BT and doping threads came up.  It was funny because the most common response was something along the lines of "triathletes have too much pride in their hard work to dope."  Almost insinuating that triathletes are somehow better people and have higher morals when it comes to doping.  People actually believed it for a long time until triathletes started getting popped.  First in the pro ranks...then in the AG ranks.  

I do believe there is a doping problem in the AG ranks of all racing.  Nobody will ever admit to it unless they are caught, so I take anything anyone says about doping with a huge grain of salt.  As should you with my words.  

I've come to terms that drug testing is the only way to combat doping...but it's just not feasible for most races that are just trying to make a few bucks as it is.  So I don't worry too much about it since my pay check doesn't depend on my race results.

Which is back to my point about it not mattering one bit in the AG ranks.....and why anyone who dopes to gain an advantage in AG racing is a moron.....or has some sort of mental defect.

2015-07-13 11:09 PM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Originally posted by dmiller5

Interesting question Jason. First I would have to question the premise. Do the top 5% or 10% of AG finishers in top races actually frequent this site? Are they regular contributors? Or, if their ego drives them to take PEDs, does that preclude them from participating with mere mortals who would frequent a site called BEGINNER Triathlete? Don't know the answer but let's assume your premise is correct. My sense is they would either not participate in this question. Nothing to support that, just a hunch. I have no idea if you are that person but I have pretty convincing evidence that I am not. All you would need to do is look at my race time, or even training times, to figure that out.

we do in fact frequent this site, and some of us were in fact beginners once.

Dave no offense was intended. Let me ask you since I have no insight. Are you the exception or the rule? Do most of the top AGers hang on sites like this? More specifically, what is your opinion on how many guys/gals use PEDs and do you think that specific subset frequents BT?

2015-07-13 11:40 PM
in reply to: jennifer_runs

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

Originally posted by jennifer_runs

Originally posted by GMAN 19030 http://www.irishtriathlon.com/index.php/2014/01/ironman-triathlon-d... If 1 in 7 admit it (even anonymously) my guess is the true number is more like 1 in 5. My guess is the percentage goes up the closer to the top of the AG. I'd WAG that 1/3 of the top 20 in the M30-54 AG's are cheating with PEDS.
I would guess the percentage would be lower in the US. The survey was done in Germany where PEDs are more available and accepted. I think the percentage is higher in Germany because they believe others are doing it and want a level playing field. I know some top guys in local races that are in the top five percent and don't believe they do any PEDs based on knowing them. But who knows what goes on behind closed doors. I do know the guys have been endurance athletes for years and put in long hours of training and I put more stock into that for their success.

No way. The "Low T" phenomenon in the USA undoubtedly makes the U.S. the worst offenders. The testosterone doping is a much worse problem amongst the AG ranks than stuff like EPO, HGH, or steroids. 

If I may...

Asthma medication is A) not illegal except in extreme doses, and I mean extreme... Like 10-20 times the recommended dose, and B) asthma medication does nothing for for a non-asthmatic.  Literally nothing. 

Poor argument.

2015-07-14 3:04 AM
in reply to: GMAN 19030

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

If I may...

Asthma medication is A) not illegal except in extreme doses, and I mean extreme... Like 10-20 times the recommended dose, and B) asthma medication does nothing for for a non-asthmatic.  Literally nothing. 

Poor argument.

Yep and "adrenal fatigue" is a serious issue that can be life threatening if not treated. Trust me after watching my husband go through it for the last 2 years even with medication it's hard for him to get out of bed some days there is no chance that he would even consider doing a sprint.
2015-07-14 6:39 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by mike761
Originally posted by mchadcota2 A lot of us say we can't understand why someone would juice because "its just a hobby", or "its not like you're getting anything monetary reward", or "you're only competing against yourself so why does it matter if you beat somebody else, or "its just for fun." But I can see where someone could get caught up in the competition and want to use whatever means. For example me personally...When I first started doing tris, it was all about finishing. Family and friends thought it was amazing that I was doing triathlons. My wife would act like she was so proud that I was able to do a triathlon. Then some friends got into it and there was some friendly competition. My friends were not quite on my level but I knew that they just wanted to beat me so bad. I started noticing that my wife seemed to take a little pride in the fact that I was getting fairly good at it and that I was the best among my friends. Maybe it was just in my head, but that's what it seemed like. I honestly feel like if I were to start losing to people we knew she would be a little disappointed in me. In other words, just finishing races is not enough anymore. And if you are part of a group of friends that are big into triathlons, and you are the slowest one, it probably hurts your ego a little. Am I wrong? I think ego is becoming a big part of the sport now, or maybe it always has been. I guess what I'm saying is for a lot of people its more than just fun, and more than just competing against yourself. And when you're immersed in the world of triathlon, you see those guys that are always at the top and winning races, and you sort of look up to them and have a sense of admiration for them. And you think, "I wanna know what that's like to be the top dog. Once again, at this point,I personally have no desire to use PED's but I can honestly say this, if I knew without a doubt, that all the guys I knew personally that were faster than me were using something, I would want to use it too, or either I would get out of the game. Not sure what that says about me but its just the truth.
I finish a lot of races in 4th - 6th position. From what I've heard/seen I have to assume that some of the guys that beat me are juicing. Therefore keeping me off the podium. It still does not make me want to dope to beat them.

No big deal, your wife probably doesn't like you that much already.

Don't know haven't talked to her in 8 years, its been a great 8 years
2015-07-14 6:56 AM
in reply to: mchadcota2

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by mchadcota2

A lot of us say we can't understand why someone would juice because "its just a hobby", or "its not like you're getting anything monetary reward", or "you're only competing against yourself so why does it matter if you beat somebody else, or "its just for fun." But I can see where someone could get caught up in the competition and want to use whatever means. For example me personally...When I first started doing tris, it was all about finishing. Family and friends thought it was amazing that I was doing triathlons. My wife would act like she was so proud that I was able to do a triathlon. Then some friends got into it and there was some friendly competition. My friends were not quite on my level but I knew that they just wanted to beat me so bad. I started noticing that my wife seemed to take a little pride in the fact that I was getting fairly good at it and that I was the best among my friends. Maybe it was just in my head, but that's what it seemed like. I honestly feel like if I were to start losing to people we knew she would be a little disappointed in me. In other words, just finishing races is not enough anymore. And if you are part of a group of friends that are big into triathlons, and you are the slowest one, it probably hurts your ego a little. Am I wrong? I think ego is becoming a big part of the sport now, or maybe it always has been.
I guess what I'm saying is for a lot of people its more than just fun, and more than just competing against yourself. And when you're immersed in the world of triathlon, you see those guys that are always at the top and winning races, and you sort of look up to them and have a sense of admiration for them. And you think, "I wanna know what that's like to be the top dog. Once again, at this point,I personally have no desire to use PED's but I can honestly say this, if I knew without a doubt, that all the guys I knew personally that were faster than me were using something, I would want to use it too, or either I would get out of the game. Not sure what that says about me but its just the truth.

I finish a lot of races in 4th - 6th position. From what I've heard/seen I have to assume that some of the guys that beat me are juicing. Therefore keeping me off the podium. It still does not make me want to dope to beat them.

But that is probably because you still see a possibility of catching them. Am i wrong? Would you train your butt off everyday if you knew it would be almost impossible to catch them without using the same substances.

Honestly- I have a lot of untapped performance left in me. I'm a single dad with 3 kids at home, as they have gotten older and I have more time to train I have gotten better. I can still improve quite a bit, and probably walking away with hardware. Then again I walk away with hardware now(finishers medals), and it piles up in the corner or my closet. This sport is about me and how it makes me feel, I would not under any circumstances take PED's to advance in anything.

I try to take an absolute minimum of any medicine at all, they all have side effects and are potentially harmful.
2015-07-14 8:18 AM
in reply to: Stuartap

I compete to see how much I can get out of my body, by my efforts. I measure success against myself.

Is there really any other reason, ultimately? I understand the motivations may be different at the top levels of any sport, but everything I do is about beating my former self. I would suspect most of us who do this as a hobby, rather than a profession, are wired much the same.

If we just wanted to get in shape, there are MUCH cheaper and easier alternatives!

2015-07-14 8:29 AM

I assume the numbers are high. There is a lot of PED out there that normal people take on a daily basis. Various alergy, painkillers etc are all PED. Everyone and a while we seem to have someone post about taking ADHD drugs.

I had a couple of friends in their 40's who got steroids from their Dr. They got them because they were tired. Both of these guys were bodybuilders / power lifters who did not compete but liked to be big. They said it was pretty common at their gym. If they take stuff I am sure that people who compete in races take stuff.

I also knew a guy who was a beer judge. His hobby was judging homebrew and professional beer competition. He took a drug the day of the judging that had a side affect of of an enhanced sense of smell. I have no idea the actual purpose of the drug but he got it from a Dr.
2015-07-14 8:37 AM

User image

Katy, Texas
Now that I had a chance to sleep on this, I have to say it is kind of disturbing and frankly, disheartening. I would have never guessed in a 100 years that someone at the AG level would dope. It just never crossed my mind as a possibility. Now, a year into the sport, I'm starting to break into the top end of the local races. My last small race I came in 10 OA and with my biking making big strides recently, I hope to improve upon that. So now that I may be close to flirting with the "bear league" podiums, this makes me wonder how many of the guys I'm competing against are doping. That s*cks. The last thing I want is that little voice in the back of my head to say, "Ah well, you didn't win but I'm sure those guys that beat you were doping anyway." Or to have that deflate me in some way when I'm in a difficult part of the race. I love this sport for the competition, somehow this takes it away a bit. I guess it's all the more reason to put in the extra work and beat them regardless....make those PEDs a waste of not only their money, but their integrity.
2015-07-14 9:08 AM
in reply to: mike761

User image

A lot of us say we can't understand why someone would juice because "its just a hobby", or "its not like you're getting anything monetary reward", or "you're only competing against yourself so why does it matter if you beat somebody else, or "its just for fun." But I can see where someone could get caught up in the competition and want to use whatever means. For example me personally...When I first started doing tris, it was all about finishing. Family and friends thought it was amazing that I was doing triathlons. My wife would act like she was so proud that I was able to do a triathlon. Then some friends got into it and there was some friendly competition. My friends were not quite on my level but I knew that they just wanted to beat me so bad. I started noticing that my wife seemed to take a little pride in the fact that I was getting fairly good at it and that I was the best among my friends. Maybe it was just in my head, but that's what it seemed like. I honestly feel like if I were to start losing to people we knew she would be a little disappointed in me. In other words, just finishing races is not enough anymore. And if you are part of a group of friends that are big into triathlons, and you are the slowest one, it probably hurts your ego a little. Am I wrong? I think ego is becoming a big part of the sport now, or maybe it always has been.
I guess what I'm saying is for a lot of people its more than just fun, and more than just competing against yourself. And when you're immersed in the world of triathlon, you see those guys that are always at the top and winning races, and you sort of look up to them and have a sense of admiration for them. And you think, "I wanna know what that's like to be the top dog. Once again, at this point,I personally have no desire to use PED's but I can honestly say this, if I knew without a doubt, that all the guys I knew personally that were faster than me were using something, I would want to use it too, or either I would get out of the game. Not sure what that says about me but its just the truth.

But that is probably because you still see a possibility of catching them. Am i wrong? Would you train your butt off everyday if you knew it would be almost impossible to catch them without using the same substances.

Honestly- I have a lot of untapped performance left in me. I'm a single dad with 3 kids at home, as they have gotten older and I have more time to train I have gotten better. I can still improve quite a bit, and probably walking away with hardware. Then again I walk away with hardware now(finishers medals), and it piles up in the corner or my closet. This sport is about me and how it makes me feel, I would not under any circumstances take PED's to advance in anything.

I try to take an absolute minimum of any medicine at all, they all have side effects and are potentially harmful.

I mean no offense. I'm not talking about people who have legitimate medical issues. I'm talking about people who get these drugs who don't really need them and then take them for performance. It happens more than you think.
2015-07-14 9:23 AM

User image

Exton, PA

I mean no offense. I'm not talking about people who have legitimate medical issues. I'm talking about people who get these drugs who don't really need them and then take them for performance. It happens more than you think.

I think you read something out of context, I don't take anything. When I say a minimum of any medication, I mean advil, cold, medicine, etc...

I truly believe there are a lot of people taking PED's in the AG triathlon world. So I think we agree.
2015-07-14 9:49 AM
in reply to: mike761

User image

I think you read something out of context, I don't take anything. When I say a minimum of any medication, I mean advil, cold, medicine, etc...

I truly believe there are a lot of people taking PED's in the AG triathlon world. So I think we agree.

Oops-- you're right-- I quoted the wrong post.

I meant to reply to the posts that discounted my points because they knew people who legitimately took asthma meds and meds for adrenal fatigue.

2015-07-14 4:05 PM

User image

Regular
Clermont, Florida
From today:

http://www.denverpost.com/lifestyles/ci_28477931/endurance-athletes...

The article quotes a local triathlete who says: "I felt funny getting an IV just to help me perform better," .... "And there's this whole stigma around cycling sports and something with a needle that I'm trying to get my head around." Since IV infusions are prohibited in and out of competition is this just more evidence of the prevalence of PEDs/doping? See:

http://www.usada.org/is-it-prohibited-or-dangerous-for-athletes-usi...

Just found it interesting, but yes I think it provides more evidence that PEDs are common in age groupers, as is general ignorance/misunderstanding of USADA/WADA rules.
2015-07-14 8:13 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by exnavydoc

From today:

http://www.denverpost.com/lifestyles/ci_28477931/endurance-athletes...

The article quotes a local triathlete who says: "I felt funny getting an IV just to help me perform better," .... "And there's this whole stigma around cycling sports and something with a needle that I'm trying to get my head around." Since IV infusions are prohibited in and out of competition is this just more evidence of the prevalence of PEDs/doping? See:

http://www.usada.org/is-it-prohibited-or-dangerous-for-athletes-usi...

Just found it interesting, but yes I think it provides more evidence that PEDs are common in age groupers, as is general ignorance/misunderstanding of USADA/WADA rules.

Interesting. I don't know how common this practice is and I've never heard of it here (although I live in Canada). It seems like the athlete quoted above didn't realize that IV-infusions were against anti-doping rules, since the drugs/vitamin concoctions she was taking were "legal" substances. But perhaps he should have trusted his own spidey sense. Or perhaps he just doesn't care.

Edited by jennifer_runs 2015-07-14 8:15 PM
2015-07-14 8:38 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by exnavydoc From today: http://www.denverpost.com/lifestyles/ci_28477931/endurance-athletes... The article quotes a local triathlete who says: "I felt funny getting an IV just to help me perform better," .... "And there's this whole stigma around cycling sports and something with a needle that I'm trying to get my head around." Since IV infusions are prohibited in and out of competition is this just more evidence of the prevalence of PEDs/doping? See: http://www.usada.org/is-it-prohibited-or-dangerous-for-athletes-usi... Just found it interesting, but yes I think it provides more evidence that PEDs are common in age groupers, as is general ignorance/misunderstanding of USADA/WADA rules.
Interesting. I don't know how common this practice is and I've never heard of it here (although I live in Canada). It seems like the athlete quoted above didn't realize that IV-infusions were against anti-doping rules, since the drugs/vitamin concoctions she was taking were "legal" substances. But perhaps he should have trusted his own spidey sense. Or perhaps he just doesn't care.

Or is dumb as a sack of hammers.

2015-07-15 10:10 AM
in reply to: 3mar

User image

Elite
Ontario

Originally posted by 3mar Now that I had a chance to sleep on this, I have to say it is kind of disturbing and frankly, disheartening. I would have never guessed in a 100 years that someone at the AG level would dope. It just never crossed my mind as a possibility. Now, a year into the sport, I'm starting to break into the top end of the local races. My last small race I came in 10 OA and with my biking making big strides recently, I hope to improve upon that. So now that I may be close to flirting with the "bear league" podiums, this makes me wonder how many of the guys I'm competing against are doping. That s*cks. The last thing I want is that little voice in the back of my head to say, "Ah well, you didn't win but I'm sure those guys that beat you were doping anyway." Or to have that deflate me in some way when I'm in a difficult part of the race. I love this sport for the competition, somehow this takes it away a bit. I guess it's all the more reason to put in the extra work and beat them regardless....make those PEDs a waste of not only their money, but their integrity.

I wouldn't even think of it that way.  I never wondered about who is or isn't doping, even though eyes are wide open and I know it takes place.  I make the simple assumption that whoever finishes ahead is because they were simply faster than me - through training, years in the sport, genetics, whatever...but I don't really think about the doping aspect. 

But as you get more competitive and your bike improves and you move closer to those AG awards, you'll need to get doping out of your head.  It will make you bitter if you start believing that the only reason folks are ahead of you is due to doping - especially since you have no idea if that is true or not.

2015-07-15 10:15 AM

User image

Katy, Texas
So how is it determined that something is a PED? I was perusing a well known endurance supplement company's website after one of their athletes won a big race and came across a product that advertises this:

Increases VO2Max
Increases anaerobic threshold
Reduces lactic acid & Modulates Cortisol

How is this not classified as a PED?

2015-07-15 10:36 AM
in reply to: Jet Black

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by Jet Black

So how is it determined that something is a PED? I was perusing a well known endurance supplement company's website after one of their athletes won a big race and came across a product that advertises this:

Increases VO2Max

What's the product? maybe it is a PED
2015-07-15 10:41 AM
in reply to: Jet Black

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Jet Black

Increases VO2Max

First of all you have to determine if any of those claims are true. Not likely

If you want to check if a medication is banned, you can use this http://www.globaldro.com/

Finally people that are being tested have to worry about tainted products and the quality control process of some supplements.

Ask Rebekah Keats who claims she tested positive because of tainted Hammer products
http://landauinjurylaw.com/theathleteslawyer/2008/10/25/rebekah-kea...

AG PED testing is a complex problem that I don't think they quite know how to tackle yet.
2015-07-15 10:50 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

Originally posted by marcag   AG PED testing is a complex problem that I don't think they quite know how to tackle yet.

What would be the incentive for AG testing?  Why would the governing bodies of the sport pay for that?  AG racing is purely a money making venture for them.

Edited by Left Brain 2015-07-15 10:51 AM
2015-07-15 10:51 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Originally posted by mchadcota2 C'mon guys help me out. I can't be the only one on here with a lack of integrity.

I halfway thought about steroids to try to get some Robert Forstemann legs.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Prevalence of PED's in AG'rs Rss Feed  

of 5

RELATED POSTS

car vs ped (me) Pages: 1 2

Started by rspencer
Views: 3113 Posts: 48

2008-05-31 5:44 PM nxm165